Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    Taxi??? are you not going to run in as a warm up?

Perfect distance! :-D

Yep I'm walking in, I've Google mapped it about 20 times, think its just over a kilometre walk, so perfect distance to warm up and hopefully calm the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

PORRIDGE!!! I forgot to ask my hotel would they be serving it  this is one thing I hate is that I can't cook my own breakfast on the morning. Cos let's face it hotel porridge is always rotten. I'll be requesting a bagel too.
    I usually have mine within an hour of my lsr but that will have be changed to two hours this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

breakfast and sleep is the only reason I am staying at home the night before the race.

Just like to be in complete control of everything on the morning and we all know we prefer to sit own our own throne.

Some taper madness for me yesterday. Some dull pain at times between ankle bone and achilles. I get it more doing nothing than anything else. So decided to book myself in yesterday for a quick physio session.

Got the clear bill of health. The lig in my left leg is bigger than my right but just needs stretching out. Gave it a good rub out and one stretch to do but nothing to worry about. He is looking forward to hearing my time.

He was telling about the mess for Mark in the Olympics how they just piled all their drinks together. He is good friends with Mark and his family.

I don't know about everyone else but learned a lot about muscles, feet, ligs etc in the last 6 months than i every learnt in school and i did Science in Junior Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I'm thinking if I use a big enough suitcase I can bring my microwave with me and make my instant porridge in the hotel room. That however, is probably bonkers.

Taper madness is quite a thing. I pulled out of the marathon completely on Sunday. Told my family and friends with some shame that I cant do it. Maybe next year.

Madness reversal yesterday though and I'm back. I did a semi long run last night and felt great. worked out a good pacing strategy too which I hope I can stick to on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

nice turnaround Satanta I'm hoping for the same tomorrow when I attempt my first run in over 2 weeks. make or break!

• Advertisement

I'm staying in Ballsbridge as well but in the Sandymount Hotel.Maybe we could share a taxi to the start Monday morning?
    According to my friend Google Maps :D your hotel is a 2km walk to the start, if you do decide to walk, maybe we could arrange to meet outside my hotel (you would pass it walking) and walk in together. Would love to have company, cos I know i'll be in a panic trying to find my place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Satanta wrote: »
    Taper madness is quite a thing. I pulled out of the marathon completely on Sunday. Told my family and friends with some shame that I cant do it. Maybe next year.

Madness reversal yesterday though and I'm back. I did a semi long run last night and felt great. worked out a good pacing strategy too which I hope I can stick to on the day.

Good stuff Satanta, you cant pull out now! Hope it works out.

ncmc wrote: »
    Yep I'm walking in, I've Google mapped it about 20 times

Good to see the madness is alive and well!

Anyone else imagining injuries? I done something to my back yesterday (could be imaginary) everytime I bend down i'm getting a creeking noise in my back and it was pretty sore on my short run yesterday.

Hopefully it goes away. If something goes wrong at this stage I think I could have a mental breakdown. :D

Good to see the madness is alive and well!

Anyone else imagining injuries? I done something to my back yesterday (could be imaginary) everytime I bend down i'm getting a creeking noice in my back and it was pretty sore on my short run yesterday.

Hopefully it goes away. If something goes wrong at this stage I think I could have a mental breakdown. :D
    No one is immune from........ TAPER MADNESS :D

Also just spotted one of the lads on the main marathon forum wrote his name on the bottom of the number with a permanent marker last year.

Maybe we could do that to identify ourselves also. So simple I didnt even think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

No one is immune from........ TAPER MADNESS :D

I have started to take these babies this morning

tablets.jpg

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    I have started to take these babies this morning

tablets.jpg
    Valium???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

More taper madness...already checked the long range weather forecast for Dublin...absolutely obsessed;-)

Runchick wrote: »
    More taper madness...already checked the long range weather forecast for Dublin...absolutely obsessed;-)
    Go over to the main marathon thread, there's a discussion already on the weather, so don't feel bad, you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick wrote: »

I never thought of doing that, nice to see people are even worse (more obsessed) than me, what did it say anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Deedee2012 wrote: »

I never thought of doing that, nice to see people are even worse (more obsessed) than me, what did it say anyway?

Well I could only get a 10 day range, very frustrating, so left guessing and for another 3 days, god I need to get a life back after 29th!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ive been running my shorter midweek runs way above my race pace! why? how? i cant seem to slow down enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Oh fantastic. Yesterday i found a new pain my knee while hunching down to pick something up. Now today I'm on the lemsip with what feels like early cold symptoms. Crap!

How risky is it to skip my last long run tomorrow if I wake up and feel like hell? Hate the thought of having to do that though.

Oh fantastic. Yesterday i found a new pain my knee while hunching down to pick something up. Now today I'm on the lemsip with what feels like early cold symptoms. Crap!

How risky is it to skip my last long run tomorrow if I wake up and feel like hell? Hate the thought of having to do that though.
    Sounds like it could be taper madness, every niggle becomes a big thing in your head! But it will do no harm to skip your long run tomorrow if you're not feeling 100%, in fact you could do more damage by running it if you're not fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Better to get that cold now than next week, Kev. Have a bit of a cold myself at the moment but have decided to focus on the positive: I will hit 1,000 kilometers in running this year, somewhere around the second water station, in the Phoenix Park on the 29th.

Skip the run if you are any bit unsure. At this stage it wont make a bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Taxi??? are you not going to run in as a warm up?

Perfect distance! :-D
    According to my friend Google Maps :D your hotel is a 2km walk to the start, if you do decide to walk, maybe we could arrange to meet outside my hotel (you would pass it walking) and walk in together. Would love to have company, cos I know i'll be in a panic trying to find my place!

I'm totally getting a taxi for the following reasons:
    - if I use the walk in as a warm up I'm just going to get cold again hanging around at the start
    - its going to be a bit dark even with the clocks going forward and I am not walking around Dublin on my own in the dark
    - i'm going to run 26.2 miles at 9a.m. I'm thinking conserving energy is the way to go

and the final nail in the coffin...

- i went to college in Ballsbridge and I have a hazy recollection of walking into town once, thinking it was a bloody long way and never doing it again :D:D:D

So what time will I stop by your hotel ncmc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I have a hazy recollection of walking into town once, thinking it was a bloody long way and never doing it again :D:D:D

but this time it wont be 4am and you'll be sober :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

but this time it wont be 4am and you'll be sober :pac:

:confused: The beer scooter gets me home at warp speed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rushrunner

Hi all

First time poster here but I have been reading all the comments for the last 18 weeks or so. First time marathon runner, running it with a couple of friends. I have really found the thread helpful and at times hilarious while training. In fact discussing all you crazy people with the other "Rushrunner" has got us through many a mile around North County Dublin. Kinda looking forward to the big day now ....... well as much as you can look forward to running 26.2 miles. Thanks for all the info advice and laughs, fingers crossed for a great first marathon. See u all on the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Taper madness or genuine knee problems, I don't know. :D

I've been using Fortuna medium knee supports. Somehow they are now too big. I'm not sure if this is because I've toned up (hardly) or if they have stretched over time. I bought the small size but they won't even go on me. There's no time before my MSR to go to a physio to get strapped up. A couple of people have said to me to try Tupigrips either under or over my current knee supports.

Anyone use Tupigrips? Are they any good either on their own or with other supports?

I'm totally getting a taxi for the following reasons:
    - if I use the walk in as a warm up I'm just going to get cold again hanging around at the start
    - its going to be a bit dark even with the clocks going forward and I am not walking around Dublin on my own in the dark
    - i'm going to run 26.2 miles at 9a.m. I'm thinking conserving energy is the way to go

and the final nail in the coffin...

- i went to college in Ballsbridge and I have a hazy recollection of walking into town once, thinking it was a bloody long way and never doing it again :D:D:D

So what time will I stop by your hotel ncmc??

How early are you going in??? :D I was thinking of leaving the hotel at about 8.00-8.15am, leisurely walk in should take max 15 mins, so should be there at 8.15-8.30am. Is this time enough to be at the start line? Don't want to spend too long hanging round if it's cold or wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

if your planning on bieng in the 4:15 + wave, the blue cool wave, then you wont start till 9:20

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

lrak wrote: »
    I was recommended taking Kalms natural sleep tablets by my Dr, which I have taken occasionally and before the half and some of my LSR and they really helped me sleep with No side effects. May not be for everyone but they worked for me, really helped me to chill out and not stress before runs.

On food front, can't resist a Yorkie but eating peanuts, bananas and hazelnut yogs to beat the band

Thanks for that. Going to try them this week for a couple of nights to see if i can stop the cycle......woke at 03:10 this morning and didn't sleep again for rest of night....wrecked.

started getting some race stuff in a bag a couple of days ago and have been adding to it as i think of things.

Fierce anxious....add my name to the "madness" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

lrak wrote: »
    That's great Cur33, mind it before the marathon, my 3rd 110 died on me during the week and I eventually upgraded to a 210. Hopefully I won't jinx thus one !

hopefully not. Started it at work this morning and it was all in Russian! Luckily I managed to get through to support pretty quickly so they sorted it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

How early are you going in??? :D I was thinking of leaving the hotel at about 8.00-8.15am, leisurely walk in should take max 15 mins, so should be there at 8.15-8.30am. Is this time enough to be at the start line? Don't want to spend too long hanging round if it's cold or wet.
    I was going to be at the start for 8ish. I like being early and just soaking up the whole atmosphere and getting in the zone.

P.S I know what you Cork people are like.....late for everything :p

Advertisement