Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was going to be at the start for 8ish. I like being early and just soaking up the whole atmosphere and getting in the zone.

P.S I know what you Cork people are like.....late for everything :p
    Monaghan actually! I'm a foreigner down these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

blockic wrote: »
    Taxi??? are you not going to run in as a warm up?

Perfect distance! :-D

Will join you for that warm up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Monaghan actually! I'm a foreigner down these parts!
    I'm sure no one will hold it against you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

God I'm sad, planning on going to bed shortly, and it being a a Friday night..:eek:
    All so can get up at 6am tomorrow and have brekkie before 9am run (am def a 3hr in advance person, any closer for a run and its sloshing round my stomach.......:(

Papal cross is the official 'meet' place for runs isn't it? Anyone know if that's the one where go halfway up the main avenue and then turn off left (near American ambassadors)? Don't wanna be standing in wrong place wondering why people have ditched me....;)

Feel people's pain on the taper... arriving home from work most evenings convinced I'm about to become sick cos i'm so tired - which is actually just because i'm up half the night doing complicated sums about what paces I should do for each mile as I switch back and forth between target times depending on how positive i'm feeling that night.... They should get schoolkids into running cos does wonders for your maths & mental computation skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

FiiFii wrote: »
    Papal cross is the official 'meet' place for runs isn't it? Anyone know if that's the one where go halfway up the main avenue and then turn off left (near American ambassadors)?

That's the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

RayCun wrote: »

That's the one

Thank you... Apparently is the 'obelix' I was getting confused with.... (thought he was just a character in a comic book.. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

so relieved to hear I'm not the only one!
    this is such a reassuring thread! I have to admit i'm getting to the 'fairly terrified' stage - even thinking about race day is like a cardio workout in itself at the moment!!
    Injured my foot a month or so ago which really set my training plan back & I just keep doubting myself.

Thanks everyone in the thread, its given the old confidence a bit of a boost again

Its the 9am start I'm most concerned about really - not much of a morning person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

W_J_Happen wrote: »
    so relieved to hear I'm not the only one!
    this is such a reassuring thread! I have to admit i'm getting to the 'fairly terrified' stage - even thinking about race day is like a cardio workout in itself at the moment!!
    Injured my foot a month or so ago which really set my training plan back & I just keep doubting myself.

Thanks everyone in the thread, its given the old confidence a bit of a boost again

Its the 9am start I'm most concerned about really - not much of a morning person!!

Clocks go back that weekend, so your body will think its 10 am!!! you'll be fine!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Younganne wrote: »
    Clocks go back that weekend, so your body will think its 10 am!!! you'll be fine!!! ;)

amazing! see i knew this thread led to reassurance!!

Thanks a mil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Best run in weeks! 8m. Physio paying off. If the weather is like this morning ill be delighted! Had to resist speeding up too much. Just in time! Plenty out doing the same thing, hope you are all getting on well, if the legs are tired rest up for the week it's soooo close now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought it was a bit humid this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

So has everyone gone cold turkey at this stage? I presume a glass of wine can't be too bad???

Lola27 wrote: »
    So has everyone gone cold turkey at this stage? I presume a glass of wine can't be too bad???

I'd an Irish coffee last night and two beers in the fridge for later! Moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

A glass of wine definitely won't hurt! As long as you don't do the dog on it you'll be grand! It's funny, I've no major desire for alcohol at the moment. If I have one or two beers, I don't have a longing for more like I usually would. I'm definitely looking forward to a couple of cold drinks next Monday afternoon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Nope. I'm, eating clean, and staying off booze for weekdays, but I allow myself a few drinks over the weekend (Saturday OR Sunday, but not both).
    Next weekend, will probably have a couple on Friday night, but that'll be it.

This is how I've been preparing for my LSRs during training, and they do say not to try anything new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So.. seems like Taper Madness is in full swing for me.

Couldn't sleep at all last night. And while lying there awake in the dark, kept thinking various limbs were hurting.

I skipped my 8m this morning- I really want to let my pulled muscle rest before running again, but now of course I feel like I'm losing all my fitness from resting too much this last week :eek:

Starting to overload my brain with strategy and pre-race planning now aswell.. and I'm fairly sure my gf is getting sick of hearing about it.

Everytime I meet a stairs, I think 'hmm, should I maybe take the lift in case I pull something walking up (something that's never happened before)..

All part of the fun I guess. 50% looking forward to next Monday, 50% can't wait for it to be over!!

Anyone driving in on the morning from Baldoyle/Sutton area? Seeking a lift! Not sure if the trains are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Anyone driving in on the morning from Baldoyle/Sutton area? Seeking a lift! Not sure if the trains are running.
    :D:D:D

Anyone driving in on the morning from Malahide/Clongriffin/Coolock/Donaghmede area? Seeking a lift! First bus at 8.45 and first DART at 9.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Last LSR done!

Was up bright and early this morning and headed to phoenix park and met up with rasher_m, shortie_chik and FiiFii.

Great to put some faces to the names! The run absolutely flew by as we were yapping for all of it, telling each other our woes and me getting a tour from shortie_chik (i'm a foreigner in these parts! :D) it was a nice cool morning for it too.

Thanks for the company ladies!

Then after I went out and took a look at the roebuck hill. I must say I expected it to be worse and I'm alot happier now that it wont be too bad and i know what to expect come race day!

So, final stretch people! Few long runs now next week (3m and 2m ;)) and before we know it we will be at the start line!

Look after yourselves this week now and avoid any trouble!! Dont want any last minute dropouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    A glass of wine definitely won't hurt! As long as you don't do the dog on it you'll be grand! It's funny, I've no major desire for alcohol at the moment. If I have one or two beers, I don't have a longing for more like I usually would. I'm definitely looking forward to a couple of cold drinks next Monday afternoon though!

I'm exactly the same, which is very out of character! All I've had in the past month or so has been the occasional glass of wine when I'm out for dinner. Really don't miss the stuff but have a funny feeling that will all change about 3pm on 29th :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Told by my other half that I have "lost it" last night. He made me promise not to do another marathon for at least two years.I am constantly talking marathon talk. Taper madness has set in me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Last medium long run this morning! Did 10 miles cos didn't get out much during the week, busy week at work. Was wearing my t-shirt that has my name on it from last year cos I am wearing it next week and thought I suppose I better wear it in case it has somehow turned into an uncomfortable chafing shirt in the last year. It hasn't of course. But it did get me plenty of funny looks, and one lady who ended up running with me for a mile or so said as she was running past 'so I presume you're running the marathon next week!' :D

Also after thinking you were all losing it had I my first marathon dream last night. It was the morning of the marathon and I was getting my gear ready, happy that everything was perfect and drove into town. When I parked the car I realised that I had left my number at home. Cue panic and clearly the best thing to do was leave the car and run home (8 miles) to get it. Oh and I was wearing my work shoes! Thankfully I woke up then! Think what must have triggered it was that I left my runners in work on friday and was worried about running the next morning in my old runners!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Hi all first post in a while. have been having a good few weeks, things have really come right at the right time and believe me there was plenty of times when I freaked out that they would'nt and was going to pack the whole thing in, but am now really looking forward to the day. Really wanted to meet up for one of the long runs with a group, this mornings one would have been perfect but alas I had to work, so will do my last LSR tomorrow on my own.
    On another note thought the taper madness wouldnt effect me but alas it seems I have been struck down. Sypmtoms include a complete and utter obession with pace for various target times. Havent fully settled on a target time, suppose I really should settle on that. Am hovering between 4:45 and 5:00. Also had a very strange dream the other night, that I was running the marathon but got completely lost and ended up on country roads and when i looked at my watch i was at 4hr56 but had only done just over 10kms.
    Hoping everyone else is coping ok with the taper madness and is ready and raring to go for the 29th. See y'all at the start line and hopefully also some of ye in the pub after the finish line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Donal112 wrote: »
    Last medium long run this morning! Did 10 miles cos didn't get out much during the week, busy week at work. Was wearing my t-shirt that has my name on it from last year cos I am wearing it next week and thought I suppose I better wear it in case it has somehow turned into an uncomfortable chafing shirt in the last year. It hasn't of course. But it did get me plenty of funny looks, and one lady who ended up running with me for a mile or so said as she was running past 'so I presume you're running the marathon next week!' :D

That was me Donal. Thanks for the company. :D I never thought to ask if you were a boardsie...
    Good luck with the rest of the taper, the madness and, of course, the main event.
    Might see you in McGrattans next Monday then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm in Bayside. Don't rely on the DART anyway as I and a bunch of other marathoners last year were left stranded when dart didn't show up!
    Was lucky to get a lift in the end. Think I'll book a taxi this year just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Hi all glad to hear your all getting on well and enjoying taper madness ;)

Quick question - legs have felt very tired & heavy (not tight) since 20 miler (did 13 miles at pace that weekend). Thought they would have recovered by now. Should I just not run on them this week or should I book in for massage from physio. Haven't had one before.

Thanks

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Hi all glad to hear your all getting on well and enjoying taper madness ;)

Quick question - legs have felt very tired & heavy (not tight) since 20 miler (did 13 miles at pace that weekend). Thought they would have recovered by now. Should I just not run on them this week or should I book in for massage from physio. Haven't had one before.

Thanks
    I'd defo recommend a massage this week to be sure, it can only help! You are bound to have a few tight spots, in areas you don't realise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

+1 on the massage this week can only do you good, also a hot bath with epsom salts has worked great for me in the past when i have heavy/tired legs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

13k @ 6.06/km

Well that's the final LSR out of the way. Went through the planned marathon day regime. Up at 6:15 after an earlyish night. Porridge (made with milk) with honey, banana, slice of white toast with honey and dairy spread. Cup of coffee to help with the BM, which duly followed within the hour. :D

Started the run about 9:10 (I'll be in wave 2). Beautiful morning in Dublin city; cool, dry, and bright, perhaps a little too sunny to be ideal. I live in the inner suburbs so headed into town and ran the finishing few kilometers of the DCM route, and then the first few kilometers from the starting point before breaking off and heading home. I don't like city centre training runs - too many people, too many traffic light stops - but it will certainly be magnificent on the day. The routes into and out of Merrion Square really do show off some of the city's finest architectural heritage so DO try to take it all in on the day!

No problems with this run. I set off at what felt like a snail's pace but this first k turned out to be just a few seconds off my marathon pace so had to slow down even more. Just shows how we'll be chomping at the bit come Monday week.

Into the home stretch now - stay healthy and best of luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have promised myself no ducking and diving at the start if i need to pass people

Advertisement