Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

The bbc just said its going to get cold. How cold? What's the best place to get the long range forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Satanta wrote: »
    The bbc just said its going to get cold. How cold? What's the best place to get the long range forecast?

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

norwegians view on things

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Hi to all fellow novices! I'm a first time poster..we're coming out of the woodwork these final days!..but have been closely following this thread for months. Thank you so much to all the regular posters..your advice, tales, woes and humour have been invaluable on this marathon journey!!

Decided to cycle the route this morning..not sure this is advised tapering?!..but wanted to see (psyche myself up for!) the dreaded hills at Clonskeagh and Roebuck. They were not half as bad as I expected! There were roadworks on Roebuck Road..who knows maybe they are leveling the hill for us??!! Got a little bit excited as I turned onto the Stillorgan Road as thats my psychological "home stretch"!! Lets see how excited I am Monday week??

Anyway the very best of luck to all and lets enjoy our 1st marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

whats the plan this week. Hal has runs for tues, weds, sat based on a sunday race. should we shift everything a day or just move sat to sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Trampas wrote: »
    whats the plan this week. Hal has runs for tues, weds, sat based on a sunday race. should we shift everything a day or just move sat to sun?

Is it a good idea to get out the day before? I doubt I'll go out after Tuesday. Plenty of stretching etc. get a good rub Wednesday. Hot bath or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm not going to run on Sunday, I'll prob be on my feet a fair bit going to the expo etc so I will either do my last run on Friday or Saturday. I normally take a few days rest before a race so will probably stick to that routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Opinion seems to be divided on whether to run the day before or not. The way I look at it is, I've stuck to Hal Higdon Novice 2 this far, and I'm still standing. If he says run, I'm going to run! Here's one article that's firmly in the "Yes, go for a short easy run" camp.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/should-i-run-the-day-before-my-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

upthe19th wrote: »
    No weird dreams as yet but I'm waking in the middle of the night and not getting back to sleep at all. Really starting to take its toll at the moment. I was tired as it was, but seriously tired now. Any suggestions on how to break the cycle?

Eating everything in sight, especially sweet stuff.

At last...my first dream or should I say nightmare.

Dreamed that I showed up a the start line in my normal clothes as the race was starting. Frantically tearing off clothes and put on running gear as people streamed past me...woke up at half 4 shouting "I cant find my number"

My wife was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

10 miler done yesterday. Felt very good. The increased stretching has been paying off. Was aiming for 8:35/mile but ended up averaging 7:56/mile. Just felt comfortable so I went with the flow.

Couple of short runs now, a physio session and that should do it.

Mind yourselves now and we'll be fine, the work is done:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

this thread is 6 months old and i am on the 1st page :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Anyone got any recommendations for a sports massage in Dublin 1 /2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

murphd77 wrote: »
    Opinion seems to be divided on whether to run the day before or not. The way I look at it is, I've stuck to Hal Higdon Novice 2 this far, and I'm still standing. If he says run, I'm going to run! Here's one article that's firmly in the "Yes, go for a short easy run" camp.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/should-i-run-the-day-before-my-race/

Cheers for that link. I'm abit all over shop too over what to do this week, I'm following HHN1 so it says 3,4,2. An experienced marathon runner friend of mine on other hand said I should do nothing but rest for week. But think I'd crack up. I might go with that links advice and do a very slow jog of 10mins sun morn.
    On the rest issue is anyone else feeling more tired than ever now? Id the worst nights sleep last night, so bad that I nearly hit the drinks press to help me nod off.
    Tried the GU gel espresso love on my 8miles yest with no side effects and did the pinning to my shorts methods which worked brilliantly. Thanks to whoever put that link up a few days ago. Again I don't know how I'd have gotten through the last few weeks without this thread 

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Crisis. . . Missed all midweek runs last week as I was in Seattle with work. Went for 10km today (should have been 13). Hamstring on right leg was tight so ended up just doing 7km. Limit any stress/damage.
    Left ankle now sore as I guess I was hobbling a bit. &€@€;

Physio tomorrow if I can get an appt.

This after my first restless night through taper stress too. Hope it's just a final bump on the road to Monday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

My plan is to run tomorrow (3m), wednesday (3m), thursday (2m) and sunday (2m). As someone says above, i'd craic up if I was sitting around all week!

Ive been sleeping terrible lately as well. Twisting and turning all night, must be the dread/excitement. No marathon nightmares yet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

snowman224 wrote: »
    Crisis. . . Missed all midweek runs last week as I was in Seattle with work. Went for 10km today (should have been 13). Hamstring on right leg was tight so ended up just doing 7km. Limit any stress/damage.
    Left ankle now sore as I guess I was hobbling a bit. &€@€;

Physio tomorrow if I can get an appt.

This after my first restless night through taper stress too. Hope it's just a final bump on the road to Monday. :(

Ask your physio to check your back. I have had issues with thighs and hammys and it turns out to be tight muscles on my back. Physio #1 missed it, but sports massage lady found it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

I think Freud would have a great time delving into everyone's weird dreams.... Anxiety about the marathon is all it is he would say, try and relax everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Don't open the link above. Spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

dechol wrote: »
    Told by my other half that I have "lost it" last night. He made me promise not to do another marathon for at least two years.I am constantly talking marathon talk. Taper madness has set in me thinks.
    My husband has asked that I don't commit to anything like this for about 6 months. Taper madness is alive & well in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well guys - the 19th and final week (HH's 18 week plan started on the second week) of the sheet is now ready for you. It's my last update to the sheet. Hooray !!! :D As well as week 18 I have added in a finishing time column to the goal times tab so we can all see at a glance how we got on afterwards.

We've collectively logged over 23,000 miles since the start of the program. Considering that not everyone has logged fully yet this week we're going to be in and around 25,000 miles by the end. And that's not including those on thread lurkers or occasional posters who haven't logged over the weeks. That's great running.

I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to everyone who helped out with the sheet / fixed errors or mistakes that cropped up when I wasn't around. I'd also like to thank each and every logger who contributed along the way. The sense of community and comradery here on this thread and on the sheet itself is something very special and I can honestly say I wouldn't be doing this marathon if this thread and group wasn't here to keep me going and probably more importantly get myself entered into the marathon in the first place. With that in mind a massive thank you to Younganne - our official mentor and to the host of unofficial mentors and experienced runners that have contributed advice along the way. Mr Slow, Menoscemo and RayCun in particular stand out in my memory but I've probably overlooked somebody too and thank them also. :)

Best of luck to everyone on race day and looking forward to seeing some of you at least on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well said PM! I'll be saving my speech until after the big day! :D (just in case anything goes wrong then i can blame instead of thank people ;))

Thanks for creating and updating the sheet for us, it was an excellent idea and I would have been lost without it, Many a night i got up off my ass just because this sheet was there and I would of felt guilty id i had nothing to update it with.

Looking forward to meeting you at the weekend.

Edit: Also meant to say I'm looking forward to your 2013 DCM sheet already ;)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Well said PM! I'll be saving my speech until after the big day! :D (just in case anything goes wrong then i can blame instead of thank people ;))

Thanks for creating and updating the sheet for us, it was an excellent idea and I would have been lost without it, Many a night i got up off my ass just because this sheet was there and I would of felt guilty id i had nothing to update it with.

Ha the above was only a warm up ;) expect a very long winded race report and thanks session after the big day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Just in from my eight mile run.I ran from dolphins barn through to rathgar and was so excited to see all the signs up about road closures due to marathon.ridiculous but every time I saw a new sign I would be bursting with excitement. So much so I spectacularly fell over on kimmage rd west and have a bloody knee and elbow to show for it along with dented pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Well said PM!

+1 on that PM

Just in from my eight mile run.I ran from dolphins barn through to rathgar and was so excited to see all the signs up about road closures due to marathon.ridiculous but every time I saw a new sign I would be bursting with excitement. So much so I spectacularly fell over on kimmage rd west and have a bloody knee and elbow to show for it along with dented pride.

Glad it wasn't anything worse dechol.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

SnailsPace wrote: »

Hi Snailspace,
    I've been to Aidan Woods in Pearse st a few times recently and think he has some magical powers in his hands. Fixed a calf issue in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thicko here fell off another horse today.....this time at speed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Thicko here fell off another horse today.....this time at speed :mad:

ah no .....
    hope ut OK, at least ur not letting Taper dictate ur life. sounds like u've taken worst horses can throw at u and are still standing, bloody indedtructible I'd say!
    is feidir leat

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Ran my 8 mile LSR this morning. For some reason I'm getting mild stiffness in my calves and some soreness behind my kneecap since the miles reduced in training. Anyway, the run went well.

I had a black toenail during the summer and the toenail delaminated. The outer layer came off this morning and the new nail underneath looks well but my toe is stinging after todays run as the new nail isn't long enough and is digging into the toe flesh. Fingers (and toes) crossed that a pain killer on the day will sort it.

It's my first marathon and I'm getting really nervous but I'm looking forward to next week. A mate of mine from Portmarnock but living in Texas is coming home to run with me on the big day. He's run about 20 marathons (sub 3:10) and I told him to run his race but he said he's using it as training for the California International Marathon in Sacramento in December and said he will be beside me all the way so I'll have my own personal pacer! :)

Best of luck to everyone this week. We are nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Hi all glad to hear your all getting on well and enjoying taper madness ;)

Quick question - legs have felt very tired & heavy (not tight) since 20 miler (did 13 miles at pace that weekend). Thought they would have recovered by now. Should I just not run on them this week or should I book in for massage from physio. Haven't had one before.

Thanks

Get a sports massage, it will do wonders for your legs and get rid of any niggles!!!

Emer911 wrote: »
    That was me Donal. Thanks for the company. :D I never thought to ask if you were a boardsie...
    Good luck with the rest of the taper, the madness and, of course, the main event.
    Might see you in McGrattans next Monday then?

Its definitely a small world and we runners alway acknowlege each other for a reason!!!:D
    Trampas wrote: »
    I have promised myself no ducking and diving at the start if i need to pass people
    Run your own race and if everyone is in the correct wave there should be very little ducking & diving....if anyone has selected the wrong wave, make sure at the expo you get the sticker to move forward!!!!
    Satanta wrote: »

Forget about the weather until the weekend and then have a look, but no matter what the weather, you'll still be running;)
    Ha the above was only a warm up ;) expect a very long winded race report and thanks session after the big day. :D
    PM, I'd be disappointed if your report was short:D.

I'm looking forward to meeting lots of you next week in McGrattans and putting names & faces together and seeing how you all get on!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

SnailsPace wrote: »

I would definitely recommend this place www.bhmassage.ie on Parliament St . I've been here several times now and find them very good.There are two therapist there Beatriz and Hellen and they are both good. Have sorted out many's a niggle for me. Plus they gives you a full 60 minutes for a very reasonable price.

Advertisement