Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

First good nights sleep in ages  I see allot of people recommending sports massages, are these ok to get if you've never gotten one Before? Also how many days beforehand should ya get it? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

DOCO12 wrote: »
    First good nights sleep in ages  I see allot of people recommending sports massages, are these ok to get if you've never gotten one Before? Also how many days beforehand should ya get it? Thanks

If its your 1st one, best to go sooner rather than later and tell them not to go too deep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just thought I would pass on one small piece of advice for the final week. It's probably pretty obvious but I found it helpful and am doing it again this week.

Get up at the same time as Monday all week. Have your breakfast etc at the same time too and this should ensure your body click is okay for Monday. It's obviously easier if you are going to be in Dublin on the morning and don't have far to travel.

In my case I'll be up at 6 each morning this week and breakfast at 620. The other component is I'll go to bed each night at 10, getting up at 6 helps me with going to bed early. The early nights this week will mean that even if you have trouble sleeping on Sunday you should be okay.

The clocks go back at the weekend too which will knock it off an hour but should still work.

I'm no expert but this helped me last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Emer911 wrote: »
    That was me Donal. Thanks for the company. :D I never thought to ask if you were a boardsie...
    Good luck with the rest of the taper, the madness and, of course, the main event.
    Might see you in McGrattans next Monday then?

Haha nice to meet you so Emer :D I was actually thinking afterwards I wonder if you were a boardsie!! Thanks for the company. And same to you, best of luck with it all. I will definitely be enjoying a well deserved pint or three in McGrattans afterwards so see you there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Donal112 wrote: »
    Haha nice to meet you so Emer :D I was actually thinking afterwards I wonder if you were a boardsie!! Thanks for the company. And same to you, best of luck with it all. I will definitely be enjoying a well deserved pint or three in McGrattans afterwards so see you there!

thank God you were nice about her Donal - imagine if you had of posted "This mad woman wanted to run with me for a bit - a complete lunatic"

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

thank God you were nice about her Donal - imagine if you had of posted "This mad woman wanted to run with me for a bit - a complete lunatic"

:P

Haha now that would have been funny. Emer, could have been much more entertaining for everyone here if you had been a complete lunatic :D Goes to show what a small world it is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

What way is everyone running this week, I know HHN1 says T/W/Th, but that's leaves 3 days with no running before marathon, seems a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Did my 8m this morning so all set. I got a flutter there when I saw the countdown clock. The closest thing to describe it is the excitement of Christmas in the 80's when i was small.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me when you would cease foam rolling or tennis ball work this week in the lead up to the big day? Or is it ok to do a bit all week?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

sassyj wrote: »
    What way is everyone running this week, I know HHN1 says T/W/Th, but that's leaves 3 days with no running before marathon, seems a long time?
    i ran my 8 last night, and im running Wed, Thur and Sat this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The Final Countdown!!!!

This weeks plan

Mon | Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun | Mon |
    Rest | 3m/5K | 4m/ 6k | 2m/3k | Rest | 2m/3k | Rest | 26.2m/42.2K|

If you feel like you have some nervous energy to spend or some rust to shake off, do a few strides (100m at 5k pace) at the end of your short, easy runs.

Taper madness should be in full swing now ;)- you'll be obsessively watching the video of the course,and the weather forcast, imagining that every twinge is a stress fracture. You’ll be watching everyone who is sneezing and coughing and keeping a wide berth…..

Try to relax and keep yourself busy, but not doing strenuous stuff, this week is not the week for paining the house because you have time on your hands, :eek: distract yourself - catch up with friends (not in a pub), go to the cinema (without raiding the food stand), sit back and watch telly (but don't eat the full packet of biscuits), do a bit of reading

You'll be feeling anxious about the amount of training you've done, and wondering if you can maintain the pace on the day. Do not go out and do a longer run this week, it won't help your fitness at all, just rob you of energy. Do NOT run any of your short runs faster than usual - you will have more energy this week, but you have to save it for race day:rolleyes:

One thing to bear in mind if you are trying to work out you pace for next week is that you will run longer than 26.2m, it will be nearer to 26.5 m so allow for this and go by the miles markers on the course, not the Garmin/watch…..get the pace bands and use these as the main pace checker!!!

Relax, don’t worry and enjoy the last week before the big day, but saviour it too!!! Remember you can do this and time is not important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What a glorious weekend, went running on Saturday and Sunday and both days were just perfect for running, dry, bright, light breeze, not too warm… we can only dream that we will get similar running conditions next Monday. Have started to lay out my clothes, gels etc and make my list – it’s getting longer by the day, think I will need a Sherpa to run alongside me! Feeling excited now, not feeling nervous at all, just kind of want to get started! I think it will be hard to get motivated to do the short runs this week, the thought of changing, going out in the cold, getting sweaty, showering, changing again – all for 3 miles! Just doesn’t seem worth the hassle!

I am a little concerned about my left knee, it was fine on Saturday, but painful for my run yesterday, took about 2-3 miles for the pain to dissipate. It feels like a pain on the inside of my knee, kind of under the kneecap. It actually feels a bit tender to the touch, like I have a bruise, but there is nothing there and I don’t recall knocking it. I stretched, foam rolled and iced last night, still a bit painful today. I have a sports massage this evening, I wonder if there’s anything he can do. I feel totally bummed that I have managed the whole year without a single injury and now I have a niggle right at the start line. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

All my teeth went green and fell out last night:eek::eek::eek::eek:(in my dream)
    at least it wasn't my legs so i can still run!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

ncmc wrote: »
    What a glorious weekend, went running on Saturday and Sunday and both days were just perfect for running, dry, bright, light breeze, not too warm… we can only dream that we will get similar running conditions next Monday. Have started to lay out my clothes, gels etc and make my list – it’s getting longer by the day, think I will need a Sherpa to run alongside me! Feeling excited now, not feeling nervous at all, just kind of want to get started! I think it will be hard to get motivated to do the short runs this week, the thought of changing, going out in the cold, getting sweaty, showering, changing again – all for 3 miles! Just doesn’t seem worth the hassle!

I am a little concerned about my left knee, it was fine on Saturday, but painful for my run yesterday, took about 2-3 miles for the pain to dissipate. It feels like a pain on the inside of my knee, kind of under the kneecap. It actually feels a bit tender to the touch, like I have a bruise, but there is nothing there and I don’t recall knocking it. I stretched, foam rolled and iced last night, still a bit painful today. I have a sports massage this evening, I wonder if there’s anything he can do. I feel totally bummed that I have managed the whole year without a single injury and now I have a niggle right at the start line. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Take some taper madness prevention pills. See how tonight goes and take it from there.

I say but Sunday everyone will be wanting Monday than not. I presume the 1st 10 - 15kms fly by and the last 10kms seem slower due to fewer numbers around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Younganne wrote: »
    All my teeth went green and fell out last night:eek::eek::eek::eek:(in my dream)

http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/teethdreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=teethintro

glad to see im not the only one going mad. between housing madness and tapering madness, I'm pretty sure i owe my OH something pretty after all this!

Tomorrow is toenail-cutting day! rolleyes.png

You want your toenails to be short for race day, so they're not catching in your socks or shoes, or scratching your other toes. But you don't want to cut them the day before the race, because you might cut them too short (in your over-eager taper-induced craziness eek.png) and that would be uncomfortable too.

So cut them tomorrow, and on race day they'll be short, but not too short.

Tomorrow is toenail-cutting day! rolleyes.png

You want your toenails to be short for race day, so they're not catching in your socks or shoes, or scratching your other toes. But you don't want to cut them the day before the race, because you might cut them too short (in your over-eager taper-induced craziness eek.png) and that would be uncomfortable too.

So cut them tomorrow, and on race day they'll be short, but not too short.
    that is quite definitely the oddest bit of advice i have ever read and immediately afterwards though

"God, what great advice, I'd never have thought of it".

You are some kind of quirky genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

That a real anxiety dream, used to have it when exams were coming up

murphd77 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    thanks for that,

I'll take these 2 meanings from it

Another rationalization for these falling teeth dreams may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some situation. :oThese dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxieties. Perhaps you feel that you are unprepared for the task at hand.:eek::eek: However, you will find that your worries are unfounded in most cases.:D:D Sometimes what plays out in your mind is far worse than what is reality.....

or preferably this one

It has also been said that if you dream of your teeth falling out, then it symbolizes money. This is based on the old tooth fairy story. If you lose a tooth and leave it under the pillow, a tooth fairy would bring you money

must do the Lotto!!!:D

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    that is quite definitely the oddest bit of advice i have ever read and immediately afterwards though

"God, what great advice, I'd never have thought of it".

You are some kind of genius!

If only, just giving the advise i was given last year...you lot will be giving all this advise next year...so remember it!!;)

Trampas wrote: »
    Take some taper madness prevention pills. See how tonight goes and take it from there.

I say but Sunday everyone will be wanting Monday than not. I presume the 1st 10 - 15kms fly by and the last 10kms seem slower due to fewer numbers around
    I know it sounds like taper madness, but there is definite pain there and it was sore for the first couple of miles of yesterdays LSR. It did ease up a bit, but it's a weird sort of pain and it feels tender to the touch, which is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Did my last long run on Saturday and evening, felt good but woke up Sunday morning with a chesty cough and no voice - can't believe it - haven't been sick all year and now I feel terrible - any tips & advise to clear it before the big day - should I skip the runs this week - can't believe this has happened one week before the DCM ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Ok fess up who else has been imagining all morning where they'll be on the course every few minutes since 9 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Ok fess up who else has been imagining all morning where they'll be on the course every few minutes since 9 am?

Yes yes yes!! I keep saying where will I be? Oh god sudden sense of terror  The last 3 hours seem so long hard to imagine ill be another hour running  I can't wait for Mon morn now! Just want the next week to fly!
    Cheers for the toenail tips , I'll be cutting tomo 

Me!!!! I'm driving my work mates nuts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I'm about half way round at this stage! It's been going on since I woke up at 730 this morning (I'd be in the taxi into town now... now I'm dropping off my bag... :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I'm about half way round at this stage! It's been going on since I woke up at 730 this morning (I'd be in the taxi into town now... now I'm dropping off my bag... :rolleyes:)

Ha ha....... You're all mad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

folan wrote: »
    glad to see im not the only one going mad. between housing madness and tapering madness, I'm pretty sure i owe my OH something pretty after all this!

I know the feeling, i had a job interview last week so i was up to 90 (got the job :D ) and taper madness. good job he is doing the marathon too or i'd be out on my ear i'd say. nerves setting in big time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well, after taking it easy last week due to a pulled muscle, and what felt like a cold coming on.. today I've had to stay off work as the 'cold' has turned into something nastier.. I figured be safe rather than try and plod on and make it worse.
    I guess all this happening in Taper is better than not having gotten my long runs in, or have it happening next Monday.. but still.. can't help but worrying that it'll affect me on Monday. Hopefully get some short runs in this week to keep things moving.

Stupid immune system :mad:

Advertisement