Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just back in from 14k - slight walk breaks on a couple of occasions but averaged out at bang on my original goal of 5 hour marathon pace. Leg still sore and things felt a bit heavy but delighted to have knocked out 1/3 marathon without any major issues. Confidence is steadily coming back to me. Stubborness is all well and good but it's nice to have a bit of confidence too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Just wondering if anyone here is doing the breakfast run on Sunday morning? I think I clicked to attend when I registered back in April, but it's not mentioned in my registration email, and I don't see any more info about it.

Is it actually just for overseas participants? Is it a bad idea to run on Sunday morning (I'd be going very very slow, wouldn't worry about the 30min duration!) Does the running start at 930? Or the breakfast does? Can you leave bags somewhere etc? If anyone knows anymore about it, please share!
    International breakfast run

The International Breakfast Run takes place on Sunday morning 28th october at 9.30am starting and finishing at the Convention Centre, Spencer Dock, Dublin 1. The event has a capacity for 2,000 entrants and is free of charge to those participating in the marathon. This provides runners with an opportunity to meet other athletes, exchange t-shirts and enjoy a complementary breakfast to a background of Irish traditional music. Participants also receive a special commemorative t-shirt.

This is a 3.6K warm up event open to all overseas competitors. No registration required. (Entry fee already included in overseas participants entry).

When: 9:30am Sunday 28th October
    Where: Start, finish, and assembly in The Convention Centre. (Spencer Dock, North Wall Quay, Dublin 1)
    Duration: 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Someone emailed me this. Thought it was quiet good.

http://www.racemyrace.com/hosted/dublin.php?rid=136

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I dont know about this tapering madness - I was out for 8 miles at the weekend & my legs were dead,no they werent dead they were DEAD:eek: I definately felt I was running better two weeks ago on the 20 miler.I'm chomping at the bit to get out for a few miles this evening just to see how i feel as even though I got through the run at the weekend fairly ok my confidence is dwindling by the day. I know that I have the miles done but my legs just seem to be stiffening up since we reduced the miles. I was thinking of going for a sports massage but I havent had one before & I'm half afraid to go just in case I come out worse than I went in.I think its time for another epsom salts bath to see if it will sort me out:eek::eek:
    I was just thinking on the run the last day ,this is only a 1/3 of the real thing & I'm half f****d & how am i going to get through another 18 miles - Is anyone else feeling the same way or is it my head playing tricks on me?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    I know it sounds like taper madness, but there is definite pain there and it was sore for the first couple of miles of yesterdays LSR. It did ease up a bit, but it's a weird sort of pain and it feels tender to the touch, which is strange.
    Compression tights are the way to go imo. My leg was a bit battered yesterday and I slept in mine last night and the leg is fairly good this morning. Alternatively Arnica cream from the chemist is great for bruising * (They're all taking Radox baths over on the improvers thread!)

*this is not medical advice its just what works for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

docrock wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling the same way or is it my head playing tricks on me?????

My legs were very stiff at the start of yesterdays 8 mile LSR. I only started noticing that it takes me about 5-6 miles before my legs fully loosen up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I dont know about this tapering madness - I was out for 8 miles at the weekend & my legs were dead,no they werent dead they were DEAD:eek: I definately felt I was running better two weeks ago on the 20 miler.I'm chomping at the bit to get out for a few miles this evening just to see how i feel as even though I got through the run at the weekend fairly ok my confidence is dwindling by the day. I know that I have the miles done but my legs just seem to be stiffening up since we reduced the miles. I was thinking of going for a sports massage but I havent had one before & I'm half afraid to go just in case I come out worse than I went in.I think its time for another epsom salts bath to see if it will sort me out:eek::eek:
    I was just thinking on the run the last day ,this is only a 1/3 of the real thing & I'm half f****d & how am i going to get through another 18 miles - Is anyone else feeling the same way or is it my head playing tricks on me?????

No I've been feeling the same as well. I'm wondering were I'm supposed to get the race pace from at the moment when lsr pace seems more than enough for me. I'm hoping it all pulls together on the day.

Someone emailed me this. Thought it was quiet good.

http://www.racemyrace.com/hosted/dublin.php?rid=136

When you look at it on that map its a long way isn't it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

bit early to be thinking like this maybe.. but the forecast is heading for cold weather the morning of the marathon.. is there a point that we should consider wearing the winter running gear/underwear/body armour stuff? I got some in Lidl.. wore it out one morning (9 degrees) and was overheating by mile 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

is there a point that we should consider wearing the winter running gear/underwear/body armour stuff? I got some in Lidl.. wore it out one morning (9 degrees) and was overheating by mile 5!

No, wear extra layers on top of your regular clothes if necessary - a cheapo hat and gloves, or an old t-shirt, stuff that you can throw away after a few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Same here I have doubts all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Compression tights are the way to go imo. My leg was a bit battered yesterday and I slept in mine last night and the leg is fairly good this morning. Alternatively Arnica cream from the chemist is great for bruising * (They're all taking Radox baths over on the improvers thread!)

*this is not medical advice its just what works for me
    Thanks Career Move, I might look and see if I can get a pair of compression tights or even a knee bandage. I'm seeing a physio this evening so will see what he says, will take an Epsom salt bath after my massage. Hopefully it will be ok tomorrow, will be gutted if i've picked up an injury at this stage.

Hope you're ok after your fall from the horse.... you really need to stop doing that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

RayCun wrote: »

No, wear extra layers on top of your regular clothes if necessary - a cheapo hat and gloves, or an old t-shirt, stuff that you can throw away after a few miles.
    This may seem like stupid question but where do you put your number then? Is the chip in number ? Will it register if you have lots of layers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

LarMan wrote: »

Same here I have doubts all the time
    Me too, wonder how the hell I gonna run faster n more miles than the LSR! Always had few stops n toilet breaks which although we're meant to b only couple mins but next thing id realise we were stopped for another 10mins n this wud happen couple times during the LSR now worrying how gonna do without these stops!!!! Eek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dechol wrote: »
    This may seem like stupid question but where do you put your number then? Is the chip in number ? Will it register if you have lots of layers ?

Wear your number on your regular t-shirt/singlet, and put the extra layers over that. You can pull the extra layers up to show your number when going in to the pen. It should register okay, every year there are people wearing coats over their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Busy day today here today, taken me nearly an hr to get through all the new pages... guessing people need distraction from the taper madness :rolleyes:

Sent out mails today looking for sponsorship for the marathon from friends & family. Set up a page on mycharity.ie and been obsessively clicking refresh all day to see the money grow... over €500 so far so guess I'll have to go through with it... :p
    Well guys - the 19th and final week (HH's 18 week plan started on the second week) of the sheet is now ready for you. It's my last update to the sheet. Hooray !!!.........

PM thanks a mill for setting this up and managing, been a real motivator! Glad you were able to get over injury and do the marathon seen as all the effort you went to

And thanks to all the people mentors & experienced runners who've given us their pearls of wisdom (like cutting my toenails tomorrow ;) he he).. and to fellow novices who've shared their ups and downs and made me realise it's normal to have bad days & freak out about how on earth I'm supposed to suddenly be able to run a longer distance at a faster pace (have faith in Hal, have faith in Hal, have faith in Hal.....)

Younganne wrote: »
    The Final Countdown!!!!

This weeks plan

Mon | Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun | Mon |
    Rest | 3m/5K | 4m/ 6k | 2m/3k | Rest | 2m/3k | Rest | 26.2m/42.2K|

Question - What do you recommend us on the HHN2 plan do this week? See the HHN1 plan on the website has only 3 runs mid wk and then race on sunday. HHN2 has 2 midwk and then 2 mile day before race - should we do an extra 2 miler on the Thurs like on this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

New runner wrote: »
    Me too, wonder how the hell I gonna run faster n more miles than the LSR! Always had few stops n toilet breaks which although we're meant to b only couple mins but next thing id realise we were stopped for another 10mins n this wud happen couple times during the LSR now worrying how gonna do without these stops!!!! Eek!!

I'm kinda worried bout the toilet breaks too.. Been stopping the watch on the LSR for these so doesn't effect pace but not an option on race day so guess will need to add a few mins on to expected time to factor these in (maybe more if have to queue.... oh to be a man and not have to worry bout these things as long as is a tree or alleyway nearby... :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Did my last long run on Saturday and evening, felt good but woke up Sunday morning with a chesty cough and no voice - can't believe it - haven't been sick all year and now I feel terrible - any tips & advise to clear it before the big day - should I skip the runs this week - can't believe this has happened one week before the DCM ;-(

Hi Peggysue, meet your sister! Except I got my cold before my last long run. Have been squeezing grapefruit and oranges every day since, along with echinacea and zinc. Feel much better now, just a bit of a tickly cough. Took a few days off running which was much harder as it's the longest I haven't run in months. Went out this evening though and had a lovely run. Better you have the cold now than later in the week. Chesty cough doesn't sound good though, you might want to check with your pharmacist/doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

curr33 wrote: »
    Hi Peggysue, meet your sister! Except I got my cold before my last long run. Have been squeezing grapefruit and oranges every day since, along with echinacea and zinc. Feel much better now, just a bit of a tickly cough. Took a few days off running which was much harder as it's the longest I haven't run in months. Went out this evening though and had a lovely run. Better you have the cold now than later in the week. Chesty cough doesn't sound good though, you might want to check with you r pharmacist/doctor

Thanks a million Curr33 I needed to hear that :) Drinking loads of Vit C & Zinc with drops of echineaca and the pharmsist gave me a strong cough syrup this evening so I'm feeling more positive - thanks again & best of luck next week :D

Just wondering if anyone had the list of things to do and bring to the marathon that was posted here a few weeks ago and could repost it - it would be really handy now, can't seem to track it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

peggysue2 wrote: »

Thanks a million Curr33 I needed to hear that :) Drinking loads of Vit C & Zinc with drops of echineaca and the pharmsist gave me a strong cough syrup this evening so I'm feeling more positive - thanks again & best of luck next week :D

Just wondering if anyone had the list of things to do and bring to the marathon that was posted here a few weeks ago and could repost it - it would be really handy now, can't seem to track it down.
    Hope u feel better soon , good luck! 😰

Mmmmmhhhh.......homemade chocolate chip cookies....nyom nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Mmmmmhhhh.......homemade chocolate chip cookies....nyom nyom :D

oh Damn you, now I'll have to go and make hot chocolate!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

I dont like this taper stuff. feel i am eating too much...i am eating too much. feel i am losing fitness and i cant make up my mind what pace/time to attempt........that was until i read menoscemo log of his first dcm........sobering stuff. this guy seemed like a natural (is a natural athlete id say) and was belting out savage times in training and his aim of a sub four looked like betting on a sure thing. His final dcm log was like a twist in a thriller...totally unexpected. I am defo not going to try and go any faster than my lsr pace. its 10 min miles for me until i drop/ finish which ever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Hi all,just wondering if anyone knows if there will any physios around either in the RDS at the weekend or on the morning of the marathon or anyone who might be able to tape my knee with Kinesio tape??Basically I've been having issues with my IT Band for the past few weeks and have been working hard and going to physio to try to get past it. My physio taped it last week and I ran on it and it was the first time in a good while that I ran with minimal pain so basically I need to get it taped for the marathon but unfortunately my physio isn't around :-( Any advice/direction would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

DOCO12 wrote: »
    First good nights sleep in ages  I see allot of people recommending sports massages, are these ok to get if you've never gotten one Before? Also how many days beforehand should ya get it? Thanks

you'd want to give urself a few days. I've one booked for thursday. would defo recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

carmendub wrote: »
    Hi all,just wondering if anyone knows if there will any physios around either in the RDS at the weekend or on the morning of the marathon or anyone who might be able to tape my knee with Kinesio tape??Basically I've been having issues with my IT Band for the past few weeks and have been working hard and going to physio to try to get past it. My physio taped it last week and I ran on it and it was the first time in a good while that I ran with minimal pain so basically I need to get it taped for the marathon but unfortunately my physio isn't around :-( Any advice/direction would be great!!

There was definitely someone there last year taping people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Oh that's great to hear!Was this at the RDS marathon expo or on the morning of the marathon?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

(They're all taking Radox baths over on the improvers thread!)

Ha Ha ! I'm having a Radox bath tonight too!:D The "muscle soak" one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Had my pre-marathon sports massage tonight, pretty painful as usual at the time but man do my legs feel good now! :cool:

Ready for action.....is it Monday yet? :)
    (ya i know its still actually monday but ya know what i mean!)

Never mind the Radox, all about the epsom salts!

Advertisement