Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Hi all can anyone confirm if you can get someone else to pick up your race pack at Expo on your behalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Originally Posted by miguelk viewpost.gif
    I know its a bit early for this but its keeping me sane(ish).

I keep thinking of (a)things I need to do or get in advance of the Marathon and also (b) all the things I need ready for the day to bring with me.

I've started 2 checklists for both of the above and every time I think of something it goes down on the list. Once i know it is on the list I know it will get done (or get packed) so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Some examples that have made the hitlists it so far:

Things to do before Marathon
    - Print Pace band( print 2 different time (plan a & plan b) and cover in sellotape to make waterproof if printing your own, pace bands are available at the EXPO)
    - Get more energy gels
    -Get disposable poncho or similar for start line (Black bag with arm & head holes cut out wil suffice)
    - purchase or locate old hat/gloves for start line
    - print acceptance slip to bring to expo
    Closer to the date:
    - clip toe nails(toenail Tuesday, I will be addressing this nearer the time)
    - Charge garmin(automatically do this every evening/after every run so that it is a habit)

Things to wear/pack on the day
    - Body glide
    - Tracksuit
    - Spare tracksuit top
    - Watch
    - Kit (singlet/shorts/socks/runners)
    - Hat/gloves
    - Money for pub
    - Energy Drink
    - Numberbiggrin.png
    - HR strap if wearing

I've no idea if others are like this but this list is taking some of the stress out of it for me (which is already building!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

At this stage next week you'll all be full of water and pasta :D and heading off to bed with the hope of getting a great nights sleep. That's probably unlikely so make sure you get an extra hour or two of sleep over the Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

For any of you targetting 4:15 I'll be on the pacer's stand at the Expo on Saturday between 1-5 and it would be great to meet up before the big day.

Best of luck

Digger

digger2d2 wrote: »
    At this stage next week you'll all be full of water and pasta :D and heading off to bed with the hope of getting a great nights sleep. That's probably unlikely so make sure you get an extra hour or two of sleep over the Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

For any of you targetting 4:15 I'll be on the pacer's stand at the Expo on Saturday between 1-5 and it would be great to meet up before the big day.

Best of luck

Digger
    Em you sure you got the right day??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    At this stage next week you'll all be full of water and pasta :D and heading off to bed with the hope of getting a great nights sleep.

Today is monday digger ;)

• Advertisement

If I was going with the 4.15 pacers i'd be getting worried now....they're going to show up on Tuesday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Think so Willie - once they have your printed acknowledgement slip (from the e-mail).

Haven't posted much here in the last while. I was mentioning a few weeks ago about my runners being knackered. Got a new pair - same type & size - last week and have worn them for the 19m last week and will probably do so for the 7m this week. The big question is whether or not to wear them on the big day - depending on who you ask, it's better to either wear what you're used to or better to wear new ones that aren't fully bedded in rather than a pair which are near their end of life.

Unlike when I got the first pair of them, I've had no calf pain in the new pair (calves are a lot stretchier now). My only niggle is below my left knee cap - it reminds me of my runner's knee from earlier in the year and has only appeared in the last couple of weeks (before the new runners). I understand it can be caused by overpronation, so I was thinking the new runners might help. But then again I'm not sure if it's my taper-madness-fuelled imagination!:rolleyes::o

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The big question is whether or not to wear them on the big day - depending on who you ask, it's better to either wear what you're used to or better to wear new ones that aren't fully bedded in rather than a pair which are near their end of life.

I don't really believe in the whole 'breaking in' thing. If you have worn the new ones on a 19 miler with no issues and they feel more comfortable than the old ones then it is pretty much a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tomred1N wrote: »
    I dont like this taper stuff. feel i am eating too much...i am eating too much. feel i am losing fitness and i cant make up my mind what pace/time to attempt........that was until i read menoscemo log of his first dcm.........
    Sounds like a log I'd like to read! Got a link? Thanks

Don't scare yourself :p

I did it all wrong, ran all my training runs at marathon pace (or faster) was hoping for 4hrs but blew up at mile 18 and limped in in 4:15.

If you want to read a log about how to train properly and break 4hrs as a novice marathoner- read Raycuns first log (2010 marathon), he did the training correctly (i.e. slowly) and got the rewards.

• Advertisement

^^^ spam me thinks:mad:

already reported. Hopefully will be gone in a few hours...

menoscemo wrote: »

I did it all wrong, ran all my training runs at marathon pace (or faster) was hoping for 4hrs but blew up at mile 18 and limped in in 4:15.

If you want to read a log about how to train properly and break 4hrs as a novice marathoner- read Raycuns first log (2010 marathon), he did the training correctly (i.e. slowly) and got the rewards.
    But yours is far more entertaining ;)

Just looked at met forecast for weekend... Frosty and icy roads a possibility!! Sudden drop in temp. Hope not!

I see! I do wish I'd gone a bit slower and I'm hell bent on a 3;59 finish. Lets hope it works out. Time for zzz still waiting on my first marathon dream zzz feel I'm missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

If I was going with the 4.15 pacers i'd be getting worried now....they're going to show up on Tuesday!!!!

Oh Crap...I'm going with the 4:15s:eek:...Ah I'm sure Digger will get it right on the day! At least there are a few pacers anyway in case he doesn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

blockic wrote: »

Never mind the Radox, all about the epsom salts!

Must try the salts so when training for my next one!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

http://touch.boards.ie/thre

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055563142?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Woops bit late for this now! i started off with similar times to yourself meno when u started running but given i had excess weight to move i had to lay off the pace and didnt run any races cause i would defo have injured myself and not even made the start. I just got a land when reading the final log of your first dcm! Didnt see that coming and made me realise this is going to be no joke. i still think i have not run slow enough during training. lsr avg 9.50 - 10 min miles and midweek 8.45 to 9.30 min miles. I am thinking of trying to do 20 miles in 3 hours 15 (have done this in lsr) and then hope for last 6 in an hour. have no idea if i will be able to do this but hoping fresh legs and race environment will help me do around 4.15. i be happy to finish as well though

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I see! I do wish I'd gone a bit slower and I'm hell bent on a 3;59 finish. Lets hope it works out. Time for zzz still waiting on my first marathon dream zzz feel I'm missing out

I had my dream last night. It's the morning of the race and I look at my watch and it's 8:35 and I'm still in Bed!!! Panic ensues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

The training looked fine to me and some pretty good times for a novice leasding up to the race. Sounds like you ran out of steam cause of the training you missed with holidays and injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

Hey guys!

Sadly my hip injury isn't getting better and my Dr. recommended that I not attempt the marathon this year. I am having some lower back and piriformis issues that she thinks will get better soon if I don't push to do this marathon. I'm really sad but I also want to run other races starting with the RomaOstia half in February and possibly the Rome marathon this spring...Not worth it to risk those running Dublin now (hurts to admit it) especially since I started so late with training to begin with.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, I will be reading about how you all do next Monday. I loved running Dublin last year as my first marathon, it was such an amazing experience which is why I wanted to do it again this year. I have every intention on doing it next year (with a FULL training schedule and no injuries!) so I'm sure I will be seeing you guys on the improvers board soon. GOOOOD LUCK!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey guys, feature in the IrishTimes yesterday on the marathon route in case anyones interested focusing on 6 key points along the route. Nothing really new!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1022/1224325539935.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Had my pre-marathon sports massage tonight, pretty painful as usual at the time but man do my legs feel good now! :cool:

Ready for action.....is it Monday yet? :)
    (ya i know its still actually monday but ya know what i mean!)

Never mind the Radox, all about the epsom salts!
    Had mine last night as well Blockic, my god it hurts, I think all physio’s are secret sadists! I thought my legs were in pretty good shape with the reduced mileage, so didn’t think it would be painful…. Eh yeah right! I mentioned the pain in my knee and he reckons it is a build up of scar tissue, so he practised a few minutes of ultrasound on it to break up the scar tissue and it definitely feels a lot better today. Had an Epsom salts bath (which my physio recommends after a deep massage) and the legs feel pretty good today. Just have to try and take it handy this week and keep the legs as fresh as possible.

I have to say today is the first day in ages that I have felt nervous, get a little flutter in my stomach every time I think about the marathon. Have decided not to read Meno’s log (no offence Meno!) I think I have done my LSR’s too fast, averaging 30-40 seconds faster than my PMP so I think reading any negative reports at this stage will panic me! Also, I can’t stop eating rubbish, I am going to waddle up to the start line about half a stone heavier at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Thanks a million Curr33 I needed to hear that :) Drinking loads of Vit C & Zinc with drops of echineaca and the pharmsist gave me a strong cough syrup this evening so I'm feeling more positive - thanks again & best of luck next week :D

Just wondering if anyone had the list of things to do and bring to the marathon that was posted here a few weeks ago and could repost it - it would be really handy now, can't seem to track it down.

Hi Peggysue,

Here's the pre-marathon revised list in the days leading up to it. I strike them off according as I've them done.

You may have your own to add to it but here's what I've on mine. All of this I've picked up from YA's posts etc and just built up the list.

In no particular order

- Print 2 pace pands and waterproof them (primary and secondary goal times, Younganne posted link to them, or else get at expo)
    - Get Energy gels for race and pack them in carrier
    - Get Jellies for race
    - Stock up for breakfast if running low (porridge, banana's, nutty brown bread)
    - Get some lucozade sport for pre race hydration
    - Make sure we have black bin liners
    - Get old hat and gloves
    - Old clothes for start line (old tracksuit, t-shirt, top)
    - Clip toe nails
    - Charge Garmin
    - Get some dioralyte (in case I need it)-
    - Get plasters (including compeed just in case)
    - Get Sports massage
    - Change clock times Saturday night
    - Print and sign Marathon form for expo/number pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

tomred1N wrote: »
    Woops bit late for this now! i started off with similar times to yourself meno when u started running but given i had excess weight to move i had to lay off the pace and didnt run any races cause i would defo have injured myself and not even made the start. I just got a land when reading the final log of your first dcm! Didnt see that coming and made me realise this is going to be no joke. i still think i have not run slow enough during training. lsr avg 9.50 - 10 min miles and midweek 8.45 to 9.30 min miles. I am thinking of trying to do 20 miles in 3 hours 15 (have done this in lsr) and then hope for last 6 in an hour. have no idea if i will be able to do this but hoping fresh legs and race environment will help me do around 4.15. i be happy to finish as well though

If I can give my personal opinion/ advice, when I ran my first marathon my objective was the 4hours and I did 3h57, I did the first 10k very very slowly ( over an hour, felt like an easy jog) even lost the 4h pacer from sight, I caught them up after the 30k mark if I remember well. I felt so great on the second half that afterwards I thought I could have done better, but no regret, who knows if I ran the first 10k a bit faster I might have blown at some stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

carmendub wrote: »
    Oh that's great to hear!Was this at the RDS marathon expo or on the morning of the marathon?!

This was at the Expo. I think it was Saturday when I was there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Had mine last night as well Blockic, my god it hurts, I think all physio’s are secret sadists! I thought my legs were in pretty good shape with the reduced mileage, so didn’t think it would be painful….Had an Epsom salts bath (which my physio recommends after a deep massage) and the legs feel pretty good today.

Sounds like our nights were identical last night! Had the epsom salts bath after as well.

I had a twinge in my back since last thursday, doesnt effect my running at all. It just happened to arrive i did nothing at all to it.

Told the physio last night and he said he'd 'take a look' (with his elbows!) Its very tender today! hopefully it recovers in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sounds like our nights were identical last night! Had the epsom salts bath after as well.

I had a twinge in my back since last thursday, doesnt effect my running at all. It just happened to arrive i did nothing at all to it.

Told the physio last night and he said he'd 'take a look' (with his elbows!) Its very tender today! hopefully it recovers in time.
    Sadists the lot of them! Or my favourite, "is this where it hurts?" as he digs in and I jump 3 foot off the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I posted this a while back but please take a look if you haven't seen it, when it gets tough and you feel like you can't do it, think about these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

FiiFii wrote: »
    Question - What do you recommend us on the HHN2 plan do this week? See the HHN1 plan on the website has only 3 runs mid wk and then race on sunday. HHN2 has 2 midwk and then 2 mile day before race - should we do an extra 2 miler on the Thurs like on this plan?

If you want to go for the 2m then do, but take the last few runs slow, don't be tempted to run faster as the legs freshen up.

If people want to take an extra rest day then do but no extra runs allowed....a few strides to stretch out the legs will do no harm

and Remember ITS TOENAIL TUESDAY;);)

Advertisement