Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Wow - now that puts things in perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

ncmc wrote: »
    Sadists the lot of them! Or my favourite, "is this where it hurts?" as he digs in and I jump 3 foot off the table!

Was at the physio last night.
    Her line was:
    "Now, let me just find the sorest point......."

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

[Quote=miguelk;

- Change clock times Sunday night (beware iphones may change themselves!)

Do the clocks not change Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    - Change clock times Sunday night (beware iphones may change themselves!)

Do the clocks not change Saturday night?

Clocks change Sat night /Sun morn at 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Donal112 wrote: »
    Hey guys, feature in the IrishTimes yesterday on the marathon route in case anyones interested focusing on 6 key points along the route. Nothing really new!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1022/1224325539935.html

Thanks for posting that article. It was actually very interesting for me since I am not familiar with the course at all.

I sat with my wife last night and plotted the full course on a large Dublin street map. We were then wondering where the best place for for her and our two kids (age 6 & 8) to watch from.
    They want to be at the start but then just going from the map we were thinking the best idea would be to get the Luas down to Milltown which seems fairly close to the route and watch from there. Hopefully see me pass, I will be in need of a wee cheer at that stage, then they will get back to the finish again. (I dont think they will have any bother getting there before me)
    I was just wondering if anyone knows any other good spectator spots that are easily accesible by public transport with kids on tow.

Can't believe it is so close. I think I was in denial about really doing the marathon 'til now but feels all too real at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Willie42 wrote: »
    Wow - now that puts things in perspective!

+1 to that! I think ill be emotional anyway when I finish but if I think of that, I'll be in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

miguelk wrote: »
    Hi Peggysue,

Here's the pre-marathon revised list in the days leading up to it. I strike them off according as I've them done.

You may have your own to add to it but here's what I've on mine. All of this I've picked up from YA's posts etc and just built up the list.

In no particular order

- Print 2 pace pands and waterproof them (primary and secondary goal times, Younganne posted link to them, or else get at expo)
    - Get Energy gels for race and pack them in carrier
    - Get Jellies for race
    - Stock up for breakfast if running low (porridge, banana's, nutty brown bread)
    - Get some lucozade sport for pre race hydration
    - Make sure we have black bin liners
    - Get old hat and gloves
    - Old clothes for start line (old tracksuit, t-shirt, top)
    - Clip toe nails
    - Charge Garmin
    - Get some dioralyte (in case I need it)-
    - Get plasters (including compeed just in case)
    - Get Sports massage
    - Change clock times Saturday night
    - Print and sign Marathon form for expo/number pick up

Brilliant - thanks & best of luck on Monday!

Wristband made.... am delighted with my cellotaping handy work.

Am officially bricking it now though.

(In case anyone was looking for the link again: http://www.clinics.runningroom.com/paceband.php )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Em you sure you got the right day??:confused:
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Today is monday digger ;)
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Oh Crap...I'm going with the 4:15s:eek:...Ah I'm sure Digger will get it right on the day! At least there are a few pacers anyway in case he doesn't :)

Haha... Great news, I'm a day closer to Friday than I thought I was! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

snowman224 wrote: »

(In case anyone was looking for the link again: http://www.clinics.runningroom.com/paceband.php )
    Thanks Snowman, that's pretty nifty! Not sure why I need it, but hey, anything that channels my inner Mary 'Make and Do' Fitzgerald is cool with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks so much for posting meno's training log. I know already that the hardest part for me will be going slow for the first miles. I tried to run nice and slowly on my 8 miler on Sunday but even that was 30 seconds faster than PMP and I was really trying to slow down :rolleyes:. After reading meno's DCM report, my main goal in the first half will be to stick to the 4.30 pacers, not a second faster. Its going to be hard with all the excitement and feeling fresh but it would seem to be the smart way to go.

I woke up last night with a sharp pain in my ankle, immediately thought uh-oh the ankle's playing up again. It felt exactly like the pain that put me out of action for weeks. I then realised that it was coming from my 'good' ankle :eek: There was no sore ankle, this was a pure, unbelievable dose of taper madness, all in my head - jaysus I'd better get my sanity back after this race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

the beauty of printing your own is that you can make it for any time you want and its in miles or KM which ever you are use to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

and Remember ITS TOENAIL TUESDAY;);)[/Quote]
    I have to keep reminding myself not to mention this fact to my other half. He already thinks I have lost it !;)

Younganne wrote: »
    Remember ITS TOENAIL TUESDAY;);)
    I had 'Toenail Sunday'.... doesn't have quite the same ring to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Starting to get really nervous now :(

Loads of random crap running through my head :rolleyes:

Is only 2*20+ mile runs enough? Should I have done a 3rd ?
    What about those short runs I missed when I was injured ?
    What if I don't finish ?
    Why is the nail-clippers shaking ?
    What's a 20km wind feel like ?
    If I drink any more water will I explode ?

Jaysus, I'm a mess :p

I just want the starters gun to go already ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

jprender wrote: »
    Starting to get really nervous now :(

Loads of random crap running through my head :rolleyes:

Is only 2*20+ mile runs enough? Should I have done a 3rd ?
    What about those short runs I missed when I was injured ?
    What if I don't finish ?
    Why is the nail-clippers shaking ?
    What's a 20km wind feel like ?
    If I drink any more water will I explode ?

Jaysus, I'm a mess :p

I just want the starters gun to go already ! :D

A bit more effort and you could have made a nice little poem out of that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Younganne wrote: »
    the beauty of printing your own is that you can make it for any time you want and its in miles or KM which ever you are use to!!

probably better using miles as the course is marked in miles?

If you have a Garmin - then they're a back up........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The course is also marked in 5k intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Am I right in thinking you need a stopwatch/garmin in order to use the pace band? God I'm getting confused. I don't even own a watch anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Someone (sorry can't remember or find who! :o) suggested - I think over on the marathon thread - that adjusting your sleep routine this week might be helpful to avoid complete shock of getting up mad early next Monday. I thought it sounded like a sensible idea, so headed off to bed at 22:00-22:30 last night, planning to be up at 06:00-06:30. Well I might as well have been heading to the airport today :rolleyes: as I woke up at 00:30, 02:30, 05:30 and then could barely drag myself out of the sack at 06:30 :mad:
    I'll try again tomorrow! One thing I did notice was that I felt hungry earlier than usual as I'd had breakfast at 7am (that's the plan for race day). What will I be like by Monday-noon when I'm only half-way through! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

luckily i already rise at 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

With a young baby 6.30 is a serious lie in these days!!

Weetabix wrote: »
    With a young baby 6.30 is a serious lie in these days!!

Is two and a half young?
    Not got a sleep past 5.30am since early 2010.......

(and 5.30 is best case *%^$)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

What time do most folks plan to line up for the start ?

I'm trying to work my morning out, and it's best to start with this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is two and a half young?
    Not got a sleep past 5.30am since early 2010.......

(and 5.30 is best case *%^$)

Have 19 month old, goes down nightly at half 8, doesn't wake till half 8 following morning. Been like that since day 1 more or less!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

jprender wrote: »
    What time do most folks plan to line up for the start ?

I'm trying to work my morning out, and it's best to start with this I think.
    watch the start at 9 if I can, get to the start for 9:10 at the latest (im starting in wave 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Bad news for me..

Just back from the Doc's. I have some sort of throat/chest infection which has knocked me for six. He's given me a 7 day course of Penicillin and the rest of the week off work.

Good news is, he reckons I should be fine for Monday, and that if I feel well enough over the weekend, that I can come off the drugs for a couple of days so that I'm not drained for the run.

So it looks like I'll be running on Monday with sod all running done during Taper. Don't feel too happy about that, but not much I can do. Extra foam rolling and stretching to make up for it!

Bad news for me..

Just back from the Doc's. I have some sort of throat/chest infection which has knocked me for six. He's given me a 7 day course of Penicillin and the rest of the week off work.

Good news is, he reckons I should be fine for Monday, and that if I feel well enough over the weekend, that I can come off the drugs for a couple of days so that I'm not drained for the run.

So it looks like I'll be running on Monday with sod all running done during Taper. Don't feel too happy about that, but not much I can do. Extra foam rolling and stretching to make up for it!
    That’s a bummer Kev, but I wouldn’t be too worried about missing runs this week, I’m doing HH2 and I think this week calls for 3/2/2 so you’re not missing much! Just concentrate on getting better and to being fighting fit on Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tang1 wrote: »
    Have 19 month old, goes down nightly at half 8, doesn't wake till half 8 following morning. Been like that since day 1 more or less!!

SnAp! it's great ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Probably a silly question... but how do you know which wave you are in?

Advertisement