Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Never mind....

http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_faq.php
    What do you mean by wave starts for the rest of the field?

Entrants pick one of three time zones when registering. Runners will start according to their allocated Time Zone. This is to ensure that there is less congestion in the early part of the race and all competitors achieve a smooth and prompt start. The wave system has been tried and tested over the last 3 years in our Race Series and successfully blends participants in mutually competitive groupings.

Under 3 hours 45 minutes (Orange Race number) starting at 9:00am.

3 hrs 45 mins to 4 hrs 15 mins (Green Race number) starting at 9:10am.

Over 4 hours 15 minutes (Blue Race number) starting at 9:20am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

you will have selected it yourself when you registered. afaik there are 3 coloured numbers that will be given out, each showing where you said you would start.

i dont think theres a huge problem with dropping down to a slower time, but im not sure if they let you move up

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I get on average about 5 hours sleep per night (not all in one go) and have done since June 2009. Our 13 month old wakes 3-4 times per night which is good compared to the colic we went through last year and the 3 year old still wakes once per night.
    I wouldn't change it for a sub 3 hour marathon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    I get on average about 5 hours sleep per night (not all in one go) and have done since June 2009. Our 13 month old wakes 3-4 times per night which is good compared to the colic we went through last year and the 3 year old still wakes once per night.
    I wouldn't change it for a sub 3 hour marathon though.

Must say I really admire anyone who can train for a marathon on very little and broken sleep. I started training once my 3 all started to sleep through the night ( well most nights at least). There's no way I could have considered it during those crazy little baby years...hats off to you:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I'm the same with little ones. The week's training and sleep have changed with medical appointments and an unexpected trip to the hosp. I think the reason so many in work have sponsored me is that they think I'm daft doing the marathon, when I work full-time and have two under 5. Looking forward to getting some free time back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Am I right in thinking you need a stopwatch/garmin in order to use the pace band? God I'm getting confused. I don't even own a watch anymore.

The pace band will tell you what the elapsed time should be if you are on target.

So ya, you need a watch to know how much time has passed since you crossed the start-line. Just a normal watch, you don't have to have a garmin.

So for each mile, as you pass the marker you look up your pace band and read the target, and compare it to what your watch says to see if you are ahead or behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Taper Tantrum
    'I cannot run again today,'
    Said little Betty Ann Bengay.
    'My quads are cramped.
    My nerves are shot.
    I think I might have purple snot.
    My arch is pulled.
    My glutes are sore.
    My back it doesn’t bend no more.
    My feet they have this awful smell.
    I have another black toenail.
    My elbow aches each time I pee.
    And what’s that grinding in my knee?
    I have a stress fracture. In my skull.
    My friends, they say, I’m full of bull.
    I think I may have pulled a lung.
    Eleven miles ain’t a REAL long run!
    My legs they are no longer speedy.
    My husband thinks I’m really needy.
    If I run more will I get faster?
    Will micro-tears just cause disaster?
    I think that I should carbo-load.
    Uh oh. No way. Where’s the commode?
    My glycogen is kinda spent.
    I know my shin, it needs a splint.
    My singlet smells like something funky.
    And don’t you think my butt looks chunky?
    My IT band no longer bends.
    When will this taper ever end?
    My hamstrings hurt and--what?
    What’s that you say?
    You say today is...marathon day?
    G'bye. I’m going out to run.'

*First published by Mr. Slow. All rights reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Taper Tantrum
    'I cannot run again today,'
    Said little Betty Ann Bengay.
    'My quads are cramped.
    My nerves are shot.
    I think I might have purple snot.
    My arch is pulled.
    My glutes are sore.
    My back it doesn’t bend no more.
    My feet they have this awful smell.
    I have another black toenail.
    My elbow aches each time I pee.
    And what’s that grinding in my knee?
    I have a stress fracture. In my skull.
    My friends, they say, I’m full of bull.
    I think I may have pulled a lung.
    Eleven miles ain’t a REAL long run!
    My legs they are no longer speedy.
    My husband thinks I’m really needy.
    If I run more will I get faster?
    Will micro-tears just cause disaster?
    I think that I should carbo-load.
    Uh oh. No way. Where’s the commode?
    My glycogen is kinda spent.
    I know my shin, it needs a splint.
    My singlet smells like something funky.
    And don’t you think my butt looks chunky?
    My IT band no longer bends.
    When will this taper ever end?
    My hamstrings hurt and--what?
    What’s that you say?
    You say today is...marathon day?
    G'bye. I’m going out to run.'

*First published by Mr. Slow. All rights reserved
    Brilliant!!

dechol wrote: »
    Brilliant!!
    Isn't it :D

Resurrected from the 2010 novice thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Isn't it :D

Resurrected from the 2010 novice thread

I had forgotten about that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bad news for me..

Just back from the Doc's. I have some sort of throat/chest infection which has knocked me for six. He's given me a 7 day course of Penicillin and the rest of the week off work.

Good news is, he reckons I should be fine for Monday, and that if I feel well enough over the weekend, that I can come off the drugs for a couple of days so that I'm not drained for the run.

So it looks like I'll be running on Monday with sod all running done during Taper. Don't feel too happy about that, but not much I can do. Extra foam rolling and stretching to make up for it!

Welcome to the antibiotics club! Finished mine today though. Hope you are better for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Well this was the best toenail tuesday ever! Beats the hell out of that pancake-related occasion anyway.
    Two miles on Thursday should be funny.. Maybe I'll keep the slippers on and do a few laps of the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Eeeek, the two people sitting opposite me in work had the winter vomiting bug in the last few days.....Horrendous stuff apparently, projectile and everything.... Am refusing to go within 2 foot of them until they are germ free

(although I'll admit, I did ask recovery time -3 days apparently- so a small part did consider sit beside them to get now so be gone by weekend and then won't need to freak out if hits me closer to race day..:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bad news for me..

Just back from the Doc's. I have some sort of throat/chest infection which has knocked me for six. He's given me a 7 day course of Penicillin and the rest of the week off work.

Good news is, he reckons I should be fine for Monday, and that if I feel well enough over the weekend, that I can come off the drugs for a couple of days so that I'm not drained for the run.

So it looks like I'll be running on Monday with sod all running done during Taper. Don't feel too happy about that, but not much I can do. Extra foam rolling and stretching to make up for it!

You better now win. It would be terrible for you to get thrown out on a failed drugs test

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Went out with the club tonight, swore I was only running easy, Tuesdays is hill night. Mile warm up and mile cool down. 1.25 miles on the hill, ran with our beginner group to try and keep to the easy part, they were doing strides on the hill, legs felt great, really enjoyed it. I know it was slightly harder than the easy I was aiming for but its been a while since I enjoyed a run at all, it's felt like a chore for the last few weeks. Feeling good about Monday now. Heading for physio in the morning to try and loosen up a few things. 6 more sleeps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm back at the physio in the morning for a bit more work on the injured leg. The injured leg has caused a bit of a row here at home. eek.png Mrs Messiah overheard me talking to the doctor today who had rang with the official results of the X-Ray last week. Turned out that the radiographer put a note in it advising an MRI. Now the reason he/she did so according to my doctor was because MRI's will pick up a stress fracture easier than an X-Ray. I've also apparently got a small anomoly near my heel / tendon area which may cause discomfort. The MRI part makes perfect sense to me, radiographer covers themselves off by stating that an MRI would be advised if a stress fracture is strongly suspected but that doesn't mean that they have seen a fracture, that my leg will snap etc on Monday which Mrs Messiah is concerned about. So concerned in fact that Mr Messiahs mother got a phone call and also got involved - (guess that makes her Mary here on Boards. biggrin.png) Anyway the family think I'm a lunatic and are afraid I will finish it in an ambulance. So I am not going to be mentioning ANY pains in the legs until after Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm back at the physio in the morning for a bit more work on the injured leg. The injured leg has caused a bit of a row here at home...

Jeez, PM you are stubborn and persistent. I think I've caught most of your posts and I don't really see why you are ignoring medical advice - nothing you've said has convinced me that you DON'T have a stress fracture. Whatever happens I hope you don't do yourself any serious damage. If I were you, I would sit this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

murphd77 wrote: »
    Jeez, PM you are stubborn and persistent. I think I've caught most of your posts and I don't really see why you are ignoring medical advice - nothing you've said has convinced me that you DON'T have a stress fracture. Whatever happens I hope you don't do yourself any serious damage. If I were you, I would sit this one out.

He doesn't listen......... Best of luck PM, you deserve to finish after all you've been through. No issues regarding HTFU with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

murphd77 wrote: »

Thanks for the concern. :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    He doesn't listen......... Best of luck PM, you deserve to finish after all you've been through. No issues regarding HTFU with you.

Kind of sums it up :p

In all seriousness though - I truly believe the leg is not fractured. It's painful but not excruciating agony or anything approaching it. Physio is happy for me to do it. Family doctor is aware I am doing it. (happy might be too strong a word ;)) There will be plenty of rest etc after. I'm happy that I'm not taking any major risk. At the end of the day we all know our own body's limitations etc. I know and believe I can cover the distance on Monday and it's not as bad as those around me fear.

But if I'm wrong and I feck this up I will hang my head in shame and report back here to serve as a warning for next years new enthusiasts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

But if I'm wrong and I feck this up I will hang my head in shame and report back here to serve as a warning for next years new enthusiasts. :)

Hopefully you won't, i'll be with you if you are though!! Imagine we'll be taking advice off career_move when shes over on the 'Improvers' thread.........

• Advertisement

Hopefully you won't, i'll be with you if you are though!! Imagine we'll be taking advice off career_move when shes over on the 'Improvers' thread.........
    Hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

HA! Brilliant! :)

bait if ever I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm with you a bit PM - you've lived this race many times over at this stage, trained, seen the medics, talked to friends and also given a lot of people here lots of support. You deserve to start, and finish.

Many of the experienced runners here will say theres always another marathon but its so close, better to try & fail than not try and wonder what if....

Best of luck and lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well I certainly look forward to the race report. You've made up your mind and I really hope it works out for you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You know it's close when it's the use by date on milk! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Got excited checking one of the weather forecasts for Mon saying would be clear and sunny..... Then I saw how they got todays weather completely wrong so back to square one.... Slight chance of rain... Did it even stop raining today in Dublin....?

http://www.weathercity.com/ie/d/dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

FiiFii wrote: »
    Got excited checking one of the weather forecasts for Mon saying would be clear and sunny..... Then I saw how they got todays weather completely wrong so back to square one.... Slight chance of rain... Did it even stop raining today in Dublin....?

http://www.weathercity.com/ie/d/dublin/

RTE Weather tonight said it was to be dry and bright on Monday, hope they're right.
    It briefly stopped drizzling this evening; for my 5 m run actually and started again as I finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Thanks for the concern. :)

Kind of sums it up :p

In all seriousness though - I truly believe the leg is not fractured. It's painful but not excruciating agony or anything approaching it. Physio is happy for me to do it. Family doctor is aware I am doing it. (happy might be too strong a word ;)) There will be plenty of rest etc after. I'm happy that I'm not taking any major risk. At the end of the day we all know our own body's limitations etc. I know and believe I can cover the distance on Monday and it's not as bad as those around me fear.

You gotta go with your gut on this PM, the fact you ran a few days back will give you the confidence you need in making the right decision for you, not anybody else.
    When I decided to train for this Marathon I decided that it would be wise at my age (43) to have a Cardio CT as I had pains in my chest area; they turned out to be nothing to worry about and my scan came out showing a perfectly healthy heart. Ironic seeing as I had smoked for 18 years giving up 11yrs ago; anyway my cardiac consultant told me I was mad, stupid and that the body wasn't designed to run that far etc,etc, blah blah...I suppose what I have being rambling about is not every expert's opinion is necessarily right all the time and line my fella, he tried to scare me away from doing it. If we were to worry too much about everything that could go wrong then we would never leave the house or try something new.
    I think I have finally succomed to taper madness, very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Irish rail are putting a few trains on around 7am the details are on dcm face book page. Handy for some of us. Did my 3 mike last night and shin was niggling the while way again. So it's physio tonight for last time and no more runs til Monday! Did my toenails!! Love this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

lrak wrote: »
    RTE Weather tonight said it was to be dry and bright on Monday, hope they're right.
    It briefly stopped drizzling this evening; for my 5 m run actually and started again as I finished!

It should be dry and cold, temperature 3degres with windchill of -3 in the morning, perfect for marathon but not for the waiting at the start line ;)

Advertisement