Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

For weather I use

http://www.yr.no/place/ireland/leinster/dublin/hour_by_hour.html

The following Special trains will operate

07.05hrs Greystones/Connolly, serving all stations to Connolly, arriving Pearse 07.53hrs
    07.24hrs Malahide/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.54hrs
    07.30hrs Howth/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.59hrs

For full details of services on Bank Holiday Monday 29th October, please see www.irishrail.ie

On behalf of Park Rite, we would be delighted to promote discounted parking offers in conjunction with the Dublin Marathon.

Online pre-book rate (booking before the day) of €7 all day rate in IFSC (Commons Street) – going to www.Parkrite.ie to book online
    OR
    €10 all day rate in Fleet Street (Temple Bar)
    Print off voucher from Marathon Facebook page and present at the car park office.
    Or pick up a voucher at the EXPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Thanks for the concern. :)

Kind of sums it up :p

In all seriousness though - I truly believe the leg is not fractured. It's painful but not excruciating agony or anything approaching it. Physio is happy for me to do it. Family doctor is aware I am doing it. (happy might be too strong a word ;)) There will be plenty of rest etc after. I'm happy that I'm not taking any major risk. At the end of the day we all know our own body's limitations etc. I know and believe I can cover the distance on Monday and it's not as bad as those around me fear.

But if I'm wrong and I feck this up I will hang my head in shame and report back here to serve as a warning for next years new enthusiasts. :)

PM, I really hope your leg holds up for the day on Monday. After such a rollercoaster of injury, recovery, disappointment & getting the hopes back up, I know how gutted you'd be to drop out now. Now I'm not a *real* doctor (or any kind of doctor :p ) but really watch out for warning signs on Monday. Better to walk to the finish in 2012 & be able run in 2013. (There's not a huge difference in speed between my walking & running so we might finish together!)
    You've really given a lot of motivation, inspiration & entertainment ;) to the group. Looking forward to your race report!

Since the 20m two weeks ago, I've just been counting down the minutes til Monday. HTFU Monday!!!

Even if my legs fall off on Sunday night, I will be at the start line! After 6 months of hard work, WE ARE DOING THIS!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

lmguillou wrote: »
    It should be dry and cold, temperature 3degres with windchill of -3 in the morning, perfect for marathon but not for the waiting at the start line ;)

Still not as cold as 2010. HTFU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Trampas wrote: »
    The following Special trains will operate

07.24hrs Malahide/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.54hrs
    07.30hrs Howth/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.59hrs

That's great news. I had planned to either drive in and dump my car in town or stay in a friends house in town the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Janey mac this marathon lark is doing my head in.

I am panicking because I haven't had a chance to organise the weekend yet, and write out lists and a schedule of what to do and when, what to bring, how to get in, who's going to meet me and where, drive the route, go to the expo, write out my pace band etc. etc. etc.

I'm getting no work done because I'm thinking about the marathon lists I haven't written yet.

I still don't have fresh legs and wish I ran this marathon 3 weeks ago when I felt fast and great.

And of course, my house looks like a bomb hit it :(

Roll on next Monday! Let's get this done and dusted folks!

Mulberry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Mulberry wrote: »
    Janey mac this marathon lark is doing my head in.

I am panicking because I haven't had a chance to organise the weekend yet, and write out lists and a schedule of what to do and when, what to bring, how to get in, who's going to meet me and where, drive the route, go to the expo, write out my pace band etc. etc. etc.

I'm getting no work done because I'm thinking about the marathon lists I haven't written yet.

I still don't have fresh legs and wish I ran this marathon 3 weeks ago when I felt fast and great.

And of course, my house looks like a bomb hit it :(

Roll on next Monday! Let's get this done and dusted folks!

Mulberry.

Your legs aren't supposed to be fresh now.... Monday is all that matters. Tapering is designed to have you in the best possible condition on marathon day, not 5 days before :) so Chillax and enjoy the build up, your body will be ready to rock on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Just back from Physio after a final tune up. He said I was in good shape considering the mileage done. My ankle has been niggling, he checked it out and wasn't too concerned, he said take two neurofen that morning. Then went and got my gels, Gu mint choc all the way! I had a large bowl of porridge this morning and by 11 I was starving having toast and a banana now, I have porridge every morning and teabreak in work about 10 is always banana and a cereal bar and I'm always famished by lunch at 1.00, I don't think gu's are going to cut it on there own, think I'll have to supplement with a banana at least (I did try this on the 20 miler and I didn't puke which was a plus)
    Just need to figure out how to carry everything now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Just back from Physio after a final tune up. He said I was in good shape considering the mileage done. My ankle has been niggling, he checked it out and wasn't too concerned, he said take two neurofen that morning. Then went and got my gels, Gu mint choc all the way! I had a large bowl of porridge this morning and by 11 I was starving having toast and a banana now, I have porridge every morning and teabreak in work about 10 is always banana and a cereal bar and I'm always famished by lunch at 1.00, I don't think gu's are going to cut it on there own, think I'll have to supplement with a banana at least (I did try this on the 20 miler and I didn't puke which was a plus)
    Just need to figure out how to carry everything now!
    I was the same during some of my longer runs towards the end, I was famished by 15/16 miles and started to feel sluggish due to the lack of food. For the 20 mile LSR, I had porridge about 1.5 hours before and a banana just before I started. I then ate a packet of powebar jellies as I ran in addition to gels and I found I was fine. Would consider taking a banana with me, but I just have no space at this stage, so will just have to hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

ncmc wrote: »
    I was the same during some of my longer runs towards the end, I was famished by 15/16 miles and started to feel sluggish due to the lack of food. For the 20 mile LSR, I had porridge about 1.5 hours before and a banana just before I started. I then ate a packet of powebar jellies as I ran in addition to gels and I found I was fine. Would consider taking a banana with me, but I just have no space at this stage, so will just have to hope for the best.

My family will be around about 18 mile mark so was going to give my picnic basket of food to them to give me as I sprint past. Ok as I crawl past on my hands and knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

Im beginning to panic (taper madness) a little about this now. Somehow, I never took either of these on any of my LSRs and am now wondering if I've made a mistake.

I'm not an overly heavy sweater so will not taking these on board during the marathon cause problems? Hadn't even considered it until this week.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

elPadrino wrote: »
    Im beginning to panic (taper madness) a little about this now. Somehow, I never took either of these on any of my LSRs and am now wondering if I've made a mistake.

I'm not an overly heavy sweater so will not taking these on board during the marathon cause problems? Hadn't even considered it until this week.

Cheers

You should be fine especially if you haven't had any cramping issues in LSRs. It is more important to take them in very warm marathons where you sweat a lot- that's not likely this monday!!
    Those tabs are very light on the stomach, they really just flavour the water a little so they are very low risk in terms of ingestion (nothing like gels etc) so maybe take a few with you but only take them if you feel like you might be getting a cramp...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    You should be fine especially if you haven't had any cramping issues in LSRs. It is more important to take them in very warm marathons where you sweat a lot- that's not likely this monday!!
    Those tabs are very light on the stomach, they really just flavour the water a little so they are very low risk in terms of ingestion (nothing like gels etc) so maybe take a few with you but only take them if you feel like you might be getting a cramp...
    ^^^ This is what I’m going to do, have them and take them if I need them. As I posted over in the main thread, I did have some cramping during one of my LSR’s, but it was on a day when I wasn’t feeling 100% and I sensed early on that I was in trouble. I had no problems on subsequent LSR’s, so hopefully it was just a one off. Still, I think I will rest easier knowing I have them if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Marathon related dream - dreamt my OH snoozed my alarm and didn't wake uptill 1pm & was really p*ssed off with him,not cos I was late for work but cos he'd ruined the getting up at 6.15am from now till monday routine - my priorities have really changed this wk....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

doin my first marathon in dublin and only decided to take part over a month ago. play gaa and or season so i put my name in. do few dulathlons and have done the warriors run in sligo this year. my aim is to break 3.10 as have run up to 21miles 2 weeks ago in 2.32.02. did struggle in 21 mile i must say. went from 7.10 avg to 7.14 in that mile. my only prob is my fiancee registered for me and im in the last wave as she didnt no bout waves as i was away with work. i hear you can a green stricter to move up a wave but could ya move up 2 waves? aslo i wont be up in dublin till near 9 sunday and my friend pickin up my race bib. would they give him a sticker without me there? and do ye think it be possible to break 3.10 in wave 2? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

dougal13 wrote: »
    doin my first marathon in dublin and only decided to take part over a month ago. play gaa and or season so i put my name in. do few dulathlons and have done the warriors run in sligo this year. my aim is to break 3.10 as have run up to 21miles 2 weeks ago in 2.32.02. did struggle in 21 mile i must say. went from 7.10 avg to 7.14 in that mile. my only prob is my fiancee registered for me and im in the last wave as she didnt no bout waves as i was away with work. i hear you can a green stricter to move up a wave but could ya move up 2 waves? aslo i wont be up in dublin till near 9 sunday and my friend pickin up my race bib. would they give him a sticker without me there? and do ye think it be possible to break 3.10 in wave 2? thanks

I never knew ye played gaa in kenya...dont know what wave i'd put you in

Dougal, you already asked this on the 'improvers' thread and got your answer there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81376937&postcount=897
    Yes you can get a sticker and yes your friend can collect your number. Interestingly 2 days ago you were targetting 3:05??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

I think I read on this forum that you can change your wave when collecting your number at the expo if you are in the wrong one?

From the Dublin Marathon website:

Entrants pick one of three time zones when registering. Runners will start according to their allocated Time Zone. This is to ensure that there is less congestion in the early part of the race and all competitors achieve a smooth and prompt start. The wave system has been tried and tested over the last 3 years in our Race Series and successfully blends participants in mutually competitive groupings.
    Under 3 hours 45 minutes (Orange Race number) starting at 9:00am.
    3 hrs 45 mins to 4 hrs 15 mins (Green Race number) starting at 9:10am.
    Over 4 hours 15 minutes (Blue Race number) starting at 9:20am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Would you not consider having a more managable target to allow you enjoy the experience, 3.10 for a first marathon is IMO quite ambitious.

How many runs over 16miles have you done in training?

Have you been doing all your runs at race pace?

Have you been training before you decided to take part just a month ago, excluding gaa? any recent race times you can go off?

After 21miles you are in unknown territory and you dont know how your body is going to react, or if you can keep that pace up for a further 5.5miles.

blockic wrote: »
    Would you not consider having a more managable target to allow you enjoy the experience, 3.10 for a first marathon is IMO quite ambitious.

How many runs over 16miles have you done in training?

Have you been doing all your runs at race pace?

Have you been training before you decided to take part just a month ago, excluding gaa? any recent race times you can go off?

After 21miles you are in unknown territory and you dont know how your body is going to react, or if you can keep that pace up for a further 5.5miles.

In fairenss if he can run 21 miles in 2:32 in training, 3:10 should be achievable. He'd be selling himself short by going for a slower time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    In fairenss if he can run 21 miles in 2:32 in training, 3:10 should be achievable. He'd be selling himself short by going for a slower time.

I suppose he won't have to wait long to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Mr Slow wrote: »

"They even give medals to the losers?"

Hahaha... that'll keep me smiling all day. Hilarious.!! :Ptongue.png

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I posted this a while back but please take a look if you haven't seen it, when it gets tough and you feel like you can't do it, think about these lads.

This is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

just got approved for all of next week off work :D will be joining in the fun in mcgrattans afterwards now!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

How busy will mcgrattans be ? Most likely will have my kids with me so just wondering if it will be mobbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

just got approved for all of next week off work :D will be joining in the fun in mcgrattans afterwards now!

sounds like afters will require more recovery then the race
    may have to get pacing right there too!
    party time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »

Agree on the bananas...I've asked my family who will be watching to bring bunches of bananas to give out to runners...hopefully lots of others do the same and I can grab one off someone along the way :)

dechol wrote: »
    How busy will mcgrattans be ? Most likely will have my kids with me so just wondering if it will be mobbed.

I'll be the same - 3 kids will be there - I'm hoping there are other kids there too to keep them occupied :D

Time to practice some self-discipline....must get off boards and write a 'Bring to Dublin' list....yipppeeee :D:D Just thinking about it makes me so excited, can't wait, 5 more sleeps......:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

lrak wrote: »

This is amazing
    Omg tears streaming down my face watching this,feel like an idiot worrying about doing the marathon after watching this, so amazing!

Advertisement