Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Expo done, spoke to a very nice 4.15 pacer (in a boards running vest) who was incredibly careful to assure me, but not offer any advice as to how fast/slow I should run! (And rightly so!)

Decision made, 4.15 it is. See yiz all on the start line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Expo done, spoke to a very nice 4.15 pacer (in a boards running vest) who was incredibly careful to assure me, but not offer any advice as to how fast/slow I should run! (And rightly so!)

Decision made, 4.15 it is. See yiz all on the start line!
    Kurt Godel is a lot nicer in real life isn't he ?;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Cheers Menoscemo, Gavlor and co. it's wave two for me so and yes I'll def introduce myself :) are all the pacers Boardies? Do I need go to information tomo so to move a wave down?
    And lastly what time do you recommend I be there mon to leave in bag get into wave etc? Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

DOCO12 wrote: »
    The final countdown people!!! How's everyone's carb loading going? Any tasty/naughty snacks we can have?:)

Mmmmhhh. Guilt free carbs....Taper is all good.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJo0FblyiS0taCDMLnOB9LdRjjtg84y5zBovszvRFBGk8OrSJ8

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Went to the expo this morning - Shortie_chik, must have just missed you! Nice and empty early on but by time leaving at 12.15 was getting quite crowded. Stocked up on gels at the High5 stand and was some good bargains on running gear & accessories if stuff people were planning on buying anyway

+ found out will be 4.45 pacers for me to follow, yay!! :D Is it any boardies doing this one?
    Got my number! :)
    But looks like we'll actually have to complete the marathon for the t-shirts (despite what the website says!)
    Had gotten excited thinking FINALLY get one that fits me... whats the bets by time I fin on Monday afternoon it'll just be mens xxl left... :(

DOCO12 wrote: »
    The final countdown people!!! How's everyone's carb loading going? Any tasty/naughty snacks we can have?smile.png
    Not to everyone's taste but my secret treat is golden syrup - not on anything mind, just dip a spoon into the jar, yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

FiiFii wrote: »
    + found out will be 4.45 pacers for me to follow, yay!! :D Is it any boardies doing this one?

Not to everyone's taste but my secret treat is golden syrup - not on anything mind, just dip a spoon into the jar, yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

After all the worrying there is a 4.45 pacer! you're sorted so!

...and as for your secret treat.....wow....that's quite the sugar rush!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

445 pacers woohoo! I'll be under that flag so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

+ found out will be 4.45 pacers for me to follow,
    who told u dat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Back from the expo, €100 lighter !

Pacer stand was packed & I couldn't bring myself to walk up and say " I'm RunningKing"............might get some strange looks.

Gotta change this name after the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

445 pacers woohoo! I'll be under that flag so!

Pacers for 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:14, 4:30, 5:00. There's no pacers for 4:45. Anyone who would like to see pacers for this group (it was asked a few times at the pacer stand) should write/email the organizers for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Back from the expo, €100 lighter !

Pacer stand was packed & I couldn't bring myself to walk up and say " I'm RunningKing"............might get some strange looks.

Gotta change this name after the marathon!

Not much better than "hey I'm Pageant Messiah" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Plod on Sir plod on !

Plenty of ice and rest now. Give it as much chance to recover. Try it out on Monday. If it's too bad then you can pull out then. Don't sell yourself short by pulling out now.

Thanks PM. Hard to know though. If 3 weeks or thereabouts of rest hasn't sorted it, I doubt it'll be better by Monday, having aggravated it this morning. I think having to drop out mid course would kill me more than not doing it.. Arghh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Not much better than "hey I'm Pageant Messiah" :D

Yeah, good point, guess mins not too bad! We must start a thread looking for 'cool' boards names...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks PM. Hard to know though. If 3 weeks or thereabouts of rest hasn't sorted it, I doubt it'll be better by Monday, having aggravated it this morning. I think having to drop out mid course would kill me more than not doing it.. Arghh!

You can join me in the injury carying hobbler / straggler group if you want. Might get 2 good legs between us. :)

Hope it works out for you but I can certainly respect anyones decision to pull out through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Just back from the expo. Great to get the last minute stuff. Tomorrows going to be when I get properly ready though!

Who were the people at the stand? Was two girls and one guy when I was there. Wasn't 100% sure if they were boardies so didnt wanna walk over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You can join me in the injury carying hobbler / straggler group if you want. Might get 2 good legs between us. :)

Hope it works out for you but I can certainly respect anyones decision to pull out through injury.

I've just iced up, and I've taken some neurofen+. Leg is now elevated in front of the tv as I up my carbs for th day. I'll see how this evening and tomorrow goes. Not overly optimistic, but no point throwing in the towel just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

forgot to pick up pacing band at expo. can someone tell me site where you can print your own again?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Race number picked up. This is really happening.

*mild panic*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Agent J wrote: »
    Race number picked up. This is really happening.

*mild panic*

I feel sick anytime I think about it (which is constantly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

NoelJ wrote: »
    Just back from the expo. Great to get the last minute stuff. Tomorrows going to be when I get properly ready though!

Who were the people at the stand? Was two girls and one guy when I was there. Wasn't 100% sure if they were boardies so didnt wanna walk over.

MarthaStew was the dark haired female and she is also the 4.15 pacer.

Parking was pretty cramped today, had to drive around for a while.You'd nearly be better off just parking in the New Homes Expo if you're driving tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi, I just want to say the best of luck to everyone on Mon. This marathon training lark has been some journey. I haven't posted here very often but I think I must have read every single post and all the advice, comments, moans etc on this forum have been invaluable.
    I am gutted for anyone with last minute injuries or illnesses that must be so hard at this stage, hopefully still time to recover.

Anyway good luck on Monday nerves really kicking in now - can't even have a few beers to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi, I just want to say the best of luck to everyone on Mon. This marathon training lark has been some journey. I haven't posted here very often but I think I must have read every single post and all the advice, comments, moans etc on this forum have been invaluable.
    I am gutted for anyone with last minute injuries or illnesses that must be so hard at this stage, hopefully still time to recover.

Anyway good luck on Monday nerves really kicking in now - can't even have a few beers to relax.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Pacers for 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:14, 4:30, 5:00. There's no pacers for 4:45. Anyone who would like to see pacers for this group (it was asked a few times at the pacer stand) should write/email the organizers for next year.

:(:(
    that's weird, went over to the pacers stand and picked up a band so asked one of the guys if they'd have someone doing the 4.45 time (cos saw it mentioned in FIT magazine also) and he said yes....seemed v confident bout it, I even told him he'd made my day! Must have been crossed wires or something...

Well tx for letting me know now or I'd have been wandering around aimlessly looking for them on Monday... Back to the garmin to keep me in check so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There were 4:45 pace band but there won't be pacers for that group
    NoelJ wrote: »

That would have been Claralara, Digger and Marthastew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

It's terrible that rte are not covering this big event. Such great fundraising. People doing good things while the country is on its knees. Instead they are showing crap on Monday! Rant over. Bag all packed! Kit laid out! Pasta coming out of my ears! Thanks to all on here over the past few months, great support and hope to keep it going!! Best of luck all ill make mcgrattans for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cluainbolg

Been following all of yeer progress since I startedTraining for marathon wish Everyone best of luck Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

i have got more sleep in the past 24 hours than i have all week it feels like. i went to bed at 8 last night, got up at 10. then back to bed for a 2 hour nap after being out at the expo all day. will be well rested on the starting line anyway :)

managed to pick up a gel belt and race day pack from high 5, then 2 mugs as i am a sucker for souvenirs! felt so nervous after i got the number that i could hardly move. felt like a job interview X 5. argh. roll on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Can anybody tell me if it will be ok to write my name just above my race number? I have my name on the back if my t-shirt but not on front ?

Advertisement