Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

If you're not sure what to wear due to cold weather etc, do a short 2 mile easy run on Sunday morning at 9am in the gear you plan to wear on Monday.

It'll give you a good indication of how cold it will be at the start and how fast you warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

It's terrible that rte are not covering this big event. Such great fundraising. People doing good things while the country is on its knees. Instead they are showing crap on Monday! Rant over. Bag all packed! Kit laid out! Pasta coming out of my ears! Thanks to all on here over the past few months, great support and hope to keep it going!! Best of luck all ill make mcgrattans for a pint

Report in the paper suggested that because this years DCM has no main sponsor due to the National Lottery not renewing this year, meant RTE for some reason wouldn't televise it? Not sure why though, perhaps they're not getting a few bob?!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

If you're not sure what to wear due to cold weather etc, do a short 2 mile easy run on Sunday morning at 9am in the gear you plan to wear on Monday.

It'll give you a good indication of how cold it will be at the start and how fast you warm up.
    Great idea. I did a 2 mile run this morning for this very reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

lrak wrote: »
    Report in the paper suggested that because this years DCM has no main sponsor due to the National Lottery not renewing this year, meant RTE for some reason wouldn't televise it? Not sure why though, perhaps they're not getting a few bob?!

Believe it or not the marathon have to pay RTE to televise the thing. This was normally funded by the sponsor. This year no sponsor = no funds to pay RTE = No TV coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Staying out near the Kylemore luas stop. Do I get off at abbey street and walk to start? How long will this take roughly please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Hi all. Long time lurker but new poster. I've taken lots of useful info from this site. Really helpful and informative. My goal item was 330 up until the start of this week. I got a sinus infection that I think I'm finally over but it's rocked my confidence to hit my goal time. Energy levels are still low.

Gonna go for it anyway. Its not like I'm competing to win so if it all goes horribly wrong no big deal.

Best of luck to everyone. Here's hoping for lots of success stories from Monday afternoon on.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Believe it or not the marathon have to pay RTE to televise the thing. This was normally funded by the sponsor. This year no sponsor = no funds to pay RTE = No TV coverage.

boards.ie should have sponsored it! Half the field must be made up of boardsies ... Imagine 14,000 boards.ie AC members , each of us with out boards AC jersey

Anyhew thanks a million to everyone for their little bits of very helpful info. See you all Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Staying out near the Kylemore luas stop. Do I get off at abbey street and walk to start? How long will this take roughly please?
    Get off at abbey street and it would be about ten to fifteen min walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Time has come for me to sign off. Just the race report left now :( I am such a freak - have tears in my eyes now :eek:

I've had an absolute ball with you guys. Definitely kept me sane through all the training but probably more importantly while Mum was sick. (They removed the cancer from her oesophagus a few weeks ago and its looking good so far)

Massive thanks, in no particular order to Pageant Messiah for my friend 'the sheet', to Younganne, Raycun and Mr. Slow for all the invaluable advice, to Menoscemo for the deadly log (so entertaining would definitely recommend it), to Claralara and Mr Marthastew for the inspiration and the pacing in Portlaoise, to Racheljev for being an awesome buddy in Athlone and to Tang1 for taking the Turkish impersonator so well and making me laugh so much. Hope things turn out better for you next year dude. Also special thanks to each and every contributor. I hope you all have a brilliant day on Monday! Adios :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Time has come for me to sign off. Just the race report left now :( I am such a freak - have tears in my eyes now :eek:

I've had an absolute ball with you guys. Definitely kept me sane through all the training but probably more importantly while Mum was sick. (They removed the cancer from her oesophagus a few weeks ago and its looking good so far)

Massive thanks, in no particular order to Pageant Messiah for my friend 'the sheet', to Younganne, Raycun and Mr. Slow for all the invaluable advice, to Menoscemo for the deadly log (so entertaining would definitely recommend it), to Claralara and Mr Marthastew for the inspiration and the pacing in Portlaoise, to Racheljev for being an awesome buddy in Athlone and to Tang1 for taking the Turkish impersonator so well and making me laugh so much. Hope things turn out better for you next year dude. Also special thanks to each and every contributor. I hope you all have a brilliant day on Monday! Adios :D
    That brought tears to my eyes!!best of luck.

• Advertisement

Definitely kept me sane through all the training but probably more importantly while Mum was sick. (They removed the cancer from her oesophagus a few weeks ago and its looking good so far)

Super super news. Best of luck on Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great day Monday everyone.
    Remember, your first marathon should be an enjoyable experience. Best way to enjoy it is to take it easy and finish strong. Don't give yourself a tough time target, you can't race your first marathon, just learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Anyone else watching "Run Fat boy Run" on RTE in 10 mins?

Must admit this kinda put the idea in my head a few years back of trying a marathon...

Agent J wrote: »
    Anyone else watching "Run Fat boy Run" on RTE in 10 mins?

Must admit this kinda put the idea in my head a few years back of trying a marathon...

I'm genuinely fearful the end of his race will mirror my race on Monday :) (won't spoil it by explaining just in case anyone is watching it for the first time)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bugsie2011

Long time reader, first time poster.
    Before everyone logs off to mentally prep themselves for the challenge that awaits us on Monday, I would like to thanks for all the info and advise that has been posted here. I could not have gotten to the point where i'm only 1 day 11hrs and 44mins from taking part in my 1st marathon. No where else would get the golden advise like "Toe Nail Tuesday".

All the best on Monday, I'm looking forward to reading the after action reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Enjoyed the expo today, spent a good bit of time there and picked up some good bits and also some good last minute advice.
    The only bit I didnt like was the woman from the running clinic who when she asked was I doing marathon, gave a very sarcastic good luck with that like I had said I was climbing everest. Apparently I have bad posture and for €250 she can fix it :P Not really the confidence boost I needed 2 days before Marathon but I am ignoring her.
    Also saw shortie chik and deedee's messages on the wall. Gave me a good boost.
    Hoping to meet a few of you guys on Monday and run with you will be in the 5hour group Number 13261 say hi if you see me.
    Also see some of ya in McGrattans just wondering how I will know which group are the boardsies group as I havent yet met any of ye guys in person, did anyone come up with a way of doing this.
    Anyway time for bed now, this will probably be my last post before Monday. So thanks to everyone who helped make this thread so greatand been a great support over the last few months. Best of luck to everyone on Monday and well done on getting to the end of the plan.
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Tks to careermove, PM, shortiechik, blockic and all the other newbies.

Tks to Raycun , Mr Slow and especially Memo ( i got my sticker today after twisting some arms at the Helpdesk).

I will miss you all. What the hell am I going to do next week??

Feels like leaving my mates at college all over again? 😂😂

Best of Luck to all..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Heading to the big smoke tomorrow so I said that I'd get my thanks & best of luck messages in early. Hey career move this isnt the end its only the begining & we'll all be over in the improvers thread next year & maybe youll be a mentor the year after in the novices thread:eek::eek: Anyway thanks to everyone for all the advice & funny posts, I know that I should have joined the thread sooner as I only started posting in September but I was a lurker for a long time:eek::eek: I'm certainly wiser as a result.As someone that has had a few injuries I can only feel for anyone that has had to pull out this close to the event but there will be more days in the sun so keep going & your day will come.
    I hope to meet a few of you in mc grattens after for a pint or two depending on how cranky the kids (& myself) are:eek::eek: I've never been in there so I dont know the layout but a novel idea to let everyone know that youre a boardie would be to shout out TO MARTHA:eek::D when you walk in so anyone inside will know that youre on here????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also see some of ya in McGrattans just wondering how I will know which group are the boardsies group

A few people have asked this

Most of the pacers are boardsies. Get a good look at them at the expo, maybe get an autographed photo from claralara, and study the backs of their heads during the marathon. Then when you get to McGrattans, see if you can recognise them from the front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm genuinely fearful the end of his race will mirror my race on Monday :) (won't spoil it by explaining just in case anyone is watching it for the first time)

Yes but his race ended....

On the other side of the finishing line so that a positive ;) . Though may you take significant less time then he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    A few people have asked this

Most of the pacers are boardsies. Get a good look at them at the expo, maybe get an autographed photo from claralara, and study the backs of their heads during the marathon. Then when you get to McGrattans, see if you can recognise them from the front :)

I will have these available at €5 each or three for €10. She'll also be doing a book signing for her new Non-Fiction blockbuster entitled "How I went from a 3:53 and being locked and getting my arm stuck in my top in McGrattans in 2011 to running 3.08 in Berlin 2012" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck to all on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Went to the expo today and since Leinster were playing went to see them as well. I brought my 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son with me.

We were sitting behind the goal posts and johnny Sexton and Ian Madigan were practising their kicking. The balls were reigning down on us. Went to catch the ball and did catch it but fell backwards slightly. Didn't realise it but fell against my daughter and broke her collar bone. So if you see a little blond hair girl with one arm, the other being in a sling for 4 weeks tell her her dad says sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Incredible the amount of people who had been following the thread now coming out of the woodwork.. We had an audience all along! :0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

hi ho hi ho its off to Dublin I go...its been said here so often but I really have this thread to thank for getting me to the DCM start line! Training alone hasn't been lonely thanks to the amazing support, advice and general craic on here. :D Best of luck to each and every one of you, please keep enough energy to write a race report - can't wait to read them all! I'll be hanging around the 4.30 pacers with my user name written under my race number (13561) so please say hello if you see me! Hoping to see many of you for a well earned pint in McGrattans tomorrow afternoon - adios amigos, and remember whatever happens tomorrow it's gonna be a day that we all remember for a long time, how cool is that!? ;)

LarMan wrote: »
    Went to the expo today and since Leinster were playing went to see them as well. I brought my 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son with me.

We were sitting behind the goal posts and johnny Sexton and Ian Madigan were practising their kicking. The balls were reigning down on us. Went to catch the ball and did catch it but fell backwards slightly. Didn't realise it but fell against my daughter and broke her collar bone. So if you see a little blond hair girl with one arm, the other being in a sling for 4 weeks tell her her dad says sorry!

That's a nightmare LarMan. Hope you forgive yourself soon (all parents will know this - the kid will have forgiven the accident within minutes. You as the parent - not so fast!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So our journey is almost over....on the last leg to Dublin. Wow did that go fast. Not so long ago it was months, weeks, days and now we are down to the final hours.

We lost a few along the way but the fallen soldiers will all be in our thoughts tomorrow. ;)

Looking back I come to realise how lucky I was to come across this thread so early. I can see how I would of done things so totally different (and wrong!!) if I hadn't. Whatever happens tomorrow I know I could not have done anything better in preparation. For this I thank Younganne for everything she has helped us with as well as all the other regulars (ye know who ye are :)). I won’t know what to do when this thread heads into the sunset!

The very best of luck to each of you tomorrow. I hope you all achieve your goals but most importantly, you enjoy and savour the experience that made all the work worthwhile. I have no doubt you will.

Hope to relive the journey (and pain!) with you all after in McGrattans.

Until then...remember, pain is temporary, achievement is permanent!!*

Bring....it....on!!!

*had to get a bit of cheese in, sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Comfort keepers are advertising disability support below this thread! Might be handy on Tuesday morning, clever marketing or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Do you think there is enough room on your race number to write your name somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Best of luck to every1 tomor:)
    hopefully the weather improves and we have no wind and rain

Advertisement