Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Runchick wrote: »
    Great to hear there's a few more for doing the Novice 2 plan, no doubt I'll be drawing from your support when things get tough!

My friends know about my half marathon plans but only my hubbie knows about DCM...I feel compelled to keep that under wraps for now, not sure if that's fear of not finishing or fear of negative comments, or just that I'm doing this for myself and in a way it feels like a very personal journey??

I'm in this exact same boat! My friends know I'm doing the race series up to the half marathon, which explains why I'm always heading for the last bus home from the pub on a Friday night, & seriously reducing the quantity of cocktails I'm allowing myself!
    I only told my boyfriend about a month after I registered for the DCM & started getting back into a running regime. Also hoping to do Novice 2!

Why I don't want to tell everyone:
    (a) incase I get injured so I can't do it
    (b) I expect they'll just laugh & go "YOU? Marathon? Riiiiight...." :(
    (c) I don't like talking about things before they happen, feels like I might jinx myself
    (d) Don't want to have the same conversation with every single friend and friend-of-friend I meet, over & over, all summer long (how far did you run this week, how many min/miles, y'know you'll be out there for 5 hours, think of the blisters/toenails you could lose etc...) :rolleyes:
    (e) added pressure!

My boyfriend is enough support for the moment and he's going to do some of the LSRs with me. It's painfully slow for him, but at least we're hanging out & doing something healthy! :) I'm determined to prioritise my DCM training (and enjoy it if I can) as there'll never be a better time for me to do this!

I suppose my friends might cotton on if they ask how far I ran some weekend & I say 20 miles... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm in this exact same boat! My friends know I'm doing the race series up to the half marathon, which explains why I'm always heading for the last bus home from the pub on a Friday night, & seriously reducing the quantity of cocktails I'm allowing myself!
    I only told my boyfriend about a month after I registered for the DCM & started getting back into a running regime. Also hoping to do Novice 2!

Why I don't want to tell everyone:
    (a) incase I get injured so I can't do it
    (b) I expect they'll just laugh & go "YOU? Marathon? Riiiiight...." :(
    (c) I don't like talking about things before they happen, feels like I might jinx myself
    (d) Don't want to have the same conversation with every single friend and friend-of-friend I meet, over & over, all summer long (how far did you run this week, how many min/miles, y'know you'll be out there for 5 hours, think of the blisters/toenails you could lose etc...) :rolleyes:
    (e) added pressure!

My boyfriend is enough support for the moment and he's going to do some of the LSRs with me. It's painfully slow for him, but at least we're hanging out & doing something healthy! :) I'm determined to prioritise my DCM training (and enjoy it if I can) as there'll never be a better time for me to do this!

I suppose my friends might cotton on if they ask how far I ran some weekend & I say 20 miles... ;)

From The Pursuit of Happiness:
    People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    From The Pursuit of Happiness:

I'm doing it! :cool:

This is my little motivational slogan I tell myself when I'm running. Every step I take is a step closer to the starting line.

It might take me 5 hours, but it's gonna take the folks on the sofa even longer. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BobMac104 wrote: »
    If you get your Iron from more dark green veg intake then you wont have any constipation issues.

It is harder for the body to absorb the iron from dark green veg than it is from meat (google heme vs non heme iron) so while i would advise eating plenty of dark Green veg it is also vital to get in plenty of red meat (liver is a great source of iron if you can eat it).

Despite what Anne's Nutrition post said about limiting red meat in the diet, I would advise to get it in at least 3-4 times per week. Runners often develop low iron levels, apparently the constant punding of the feet on roads can cause you to lose iron so it is vital to top it up.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It is harder for the body to absorb the iron from dark green veg than it is from meat (google heme vs non heme iron) so while i would advise eating plenty of dark Green veg it is also vital to get in plenty of red meat (liver is a great source of iron if you can eat it).

Despite what Anne's Nutrition post said about limiting red meat in the diet, I would advise to get it in at least 3-4 times per week. Runners often develop low iron levels, apparently the constant punding of the feet on roads can cause you to lose iron so it is vital to top it up.

On a similar note, endurance athletes often overlook protein in favour of carbs. You need carbs for energy but you also need protein to help rebuild your muscles.

• Advertisement

I'm doing it! :cool:

This is my little motivational slogan I tell myself when I'm running. Every step I take is a step closer to the starting line.

It might take me 5 hours, but it's gonna take the folks on the sofa even longer. :P

When I ran my first marathon lots of people asked me was my time fast to which I replied 'How quickly can you cover 26.2 miles on foot';)

On a similar note, endurance athletes often overlook protein in favour of carbs. You need carbs for energy but you also need protein to help rebuild your muscles.

yes, 15% protein in the diet is far too low. Runners need much more protein than average folks. It also helps build antibodies to keep sickness at bay.

When I ran my first marathon lots of people asked me was my time fast to which I replied 'How quickly can you cover 26.2 miles on foot';)

stealing this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Just my suggestion, but I’d really advise telling people about your DCM plans. I too was a bit nervous about telling people, my family isn’t very sporty and I thought they might all think I was crazy! But the support from everyone has been great. They are all being really encouraging and asking me how my training is going. A few of them are in total awe of anyone voluntarily running 26.2 miles, so that gives me a bit of a buzz to hear!

Plus on bad days, when I think there’s no way I’m going to be ready, I know I can’t pull out because I couldn’t face telling people, so it’s acting as a total motivator!

I’m in the same boat Runchick, I am finding it difficult to run my LSR slow enough, I presume I’ll get slower as the distance gets longer! What is your target time? If it is 4 hours, then your LSR should be 60-90 seconds slower than race pace, so that would be 10 – 10.30 min mile, so what you’re doing now sounds about right. (Although I am a newbie too, that’s just what I’ve gleaned from reading the Hal book and reading this thread!)

Thanks NCMC I'll maybe start letting the plans out after my HM in a few weeks - says me who's never done a HM and sounds like she knows what she's in for!! I think thats half the problem, I've gone from a casual 10 mile a week runner to 25 miles a week in a few months and now think I can take on the world!! Maybe I need time to really believe in myself that I can do DCM before I share with others!

As for the LSR pace, I'm planning a 13.5 miler in the morning so might try that at 10.20min mile and see how that feels. I don't have a target time for DCM yet, 4 hours is a dream, 4.30 more realistic and a bit more than that is likely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I dont think either of these are as essential as people make them out to be though. (high protein intake and red meat i mean)Iron is found in alot of places other than red meat and green veg. Its also found in many fiber rich foods (whole grains etc). Fiber can be a rich source of iron and aswell as this it aids in its absorbtion. So instead of increasing red meat you could try upping fiber and dark green veg. this would also help any constipation issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Are some of your long runs at MP?

Not at the minute, should they be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

BobMac104 wrote: »

thanks for this, i bought an iron drink supplement two weeks ago and had to stop yaking it after a week so all the advice is great. im already a fan of fibre and can tolerate meat

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hope I'm not lowering the tone here but with regards to the vitamin intake...I'm one of those people who need to take extra Iron, I feel anyway and I'm wondering is there any way you can take this without getting constipation?

As was said from the veg is best but in terms if supplements, Spatone doesn't affect you "in that way" as much as e.g. galfer. Everyone is different but worth a try if you haven't done so.

rasher_m wrote: »
    thanks for this, i bought an iron drink supplement two weeks ago and had to stop yaking it after a week so all the advice is great. im already a fan of fibre and can tolerate meat

no problem. i think the best way to attack these things is from loads of different angles as opposed to just one. hope it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

In the DCM, do they have pacers? Might be easier to follow a pacer than check that watch every 5 yards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

zooming wrote: »
    In the DCM, do they have pacers? Might be easier to follow a pacer than check that watch every 5 yards!

I do wonder about pacing...I was in the Dublin Half a few year ago and I tried to stay with the 2 hour pacers but lost the after 3 miles. When I run over a distance I find I'm not really steady, I get into a slump and then come back to life several times over the course of the race. I do wonder if pacers suit everyone or maybe I just wasnt fit enough on the day although I didnt finish that far behind them.

I don't know exactly how many pacers / which speeds, but I'm pretty sure I did read there'll be a 5h pacer. I'll be keeping an eye on that one! :pac:

edit: Ok I've googled a bit & can't find this mysterious 5h pacer. Must have dreamed it :( I've asked the FaceBook!

Yeah i think they have pacers in 15 mins blocks up to 5 hours.

Last year there were pacers for 3hrs, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4hrs, 4:15, 4:30 and 5hrs. I'd imagine it'll be the same again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Last year there were pacers for 3hrs, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4hrs, 4:15, 4:30 and 5hrs. I'd imagine it'll be the same again this year.
    cool! would it be recommended to follow one or just do your own thing...thoughts?

cool! would it be recommended to follow one or just do your own thing...thoughts?

It depends on your goal time. If there is a group travelling at a realistic pace for you then yes. Pacers will help you go at a steady speed (not go off too fast) and there will be loads of cameraderie in the groups.

If your looking for a finish time follow one of the pace groups, there usually from Boards and do a top notch job. If your looking to just get through it, do your own thing and what your most comfortable with.

tang1 wrote: »
    Not at the minute, should they be??

Pm'd you!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Just looked at the course map on the DCM website, I shouldn't have, that's a LONG way! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Just looked at the course map on the DCM website, I shouldn't have, that's a LONG way! Dee

:eek:DeeDee, did no one tell you....its 26.2 miles;);)

Just to clarify, i never stated to limit red meat in the diet... but the word daily was missing from the quoted part below, so i apologise if that impression was given.
    I think Protein is a very important part of the diet. One of the best meals including both protein and iron is red meat(you can't go wrong with steak with plenty of leafy green veg). As Memo says... Liver is the best option, but i don't know too many who like it...being forced to eat it as children didn't help:eek:
    Protein for power & Recovery
    Meat, fish and alternatives (eggs, cheese, nuts & pulses) are essential for the build-up and repair of muscles especially after a heavy training session or tough race…A nice big juicy Steak goes a long way to repairing those tired muscles!!!

Try to include lean meat, fish & shellfish, Eggs and/or cheese, pulses & beans, nuts & seeds & vegetarian alternatives (Quorn, soya, tofu, pulses & beans) Daily

Anyone who is taking iron and getting constipation as a result, try taking the supplement every second day to avoid constipation but also to get some iron into them.

Pacers are fantastic for helping you to get around in one piece, no matter which time Pacer you use, but they don't only keep the pace nice and even, they give encouragement, and advice to everyone along the way, they take your mind of the running when its getting tough, and they encourage you to go on if you are doing well.
    They help alot of people get to the finish line and are a fantastic asset to any marathon.
    And don't forget, they all do it because of their kind and generous nature to help others achieve!

Younganne wrote: »
    Just to clarify, i never stated to limit red meat in the diet... but the word daily was missing from the quoted part below, so i apologise if that impression was given.

Sorry Anne, I misread your post (or rather badly recalled it). I was confusing the bit where it says limiting sat fats- lots of people would avoid red meat because of sat fat content. (Personally I have no problem with having lots of satfats from natural sources like meat, but that's a discussion for another forum :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Younganne wrote: »
    Pacers are fantastic for helping you to get around in one piece, no matter which time Pacer you use, but they don't only keep the pace nice and even, they give encouragement, and advice to everyone along the way, they take your mind of the running when its getting tough, and they encourage you to go on if you are doing well.
    They help alot of people get to the finish line and are a fantastic asset to any marathon.

Absolutely right. I had found the pacers very good in the Wexford Half this year and Menoscemo was one of the pacers who led my wife to her first sub-1:45 in the same event last year. It was her first time running with pacers and she was delighted with the support & encouragement she got from them both (can't remember the other guy's name).

I think this is one feature that my recent Edinburgh Marathon was really missing out on, despite people asking for pacers for weeks in advance. I really believe that had there been pacers, I would have kept going / resisted walking for longer and finished stronger.

Its one thing I'm definite of for DCM - whichever time I go for, I'll be hanging on to them for dear life.

Advertisement