Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Younganne wrote: »
    Pacers are fantastic for helping you to get around in one piece, no matter which time Pacer you use, but they don't only keep the pace nice and even, they give encouragement, and advice to everyone along the way, they take your mind of the running when its getting tough, and they encourage you to go on if you are doing well.
    They help alot of people get to the finish line and are a fantastic asset to any marathon.

Absolutely right. I had found the pacers very good in the Wexford Half this year and Menoscemo was one of the pacers who led my wife to her first sub-1:45 in the same event last year. It was her first time running with pacers and she was delighted with the support & encouragement she got from them both (can't remember the other guy's name).

I think this is one feature that my recent Edinburgh Marathon was really missing out on, despite people asking for pacers for weeks in advance. I really believe that had there been pacers, I would have kept going / resisted walking for longer and finished stronger.

Its one thing I'm definite of for DCM - whichever time I go for, I'll be hanging on to them for dear life.

I might give them another go this year, i have no doubt about them being good to people etc. im just wondering if they suit my mind set or if im a lone ranger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rasher_m wrote: »
    I might give them another go this year, i have no doubt about them being good to people etc. im just wondering if they suit my mind set or if im a lone ranger

Sure its only a case of staying 100m in front of or behind the people running at the speed you want to do. As long as you keep pace with them on average, you get what you want out of it. You don't have to participate in the group as such, but the support will be there if you need or want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Younganne wrote: »
    Pacers are fantastic for helping you to get around in one piece, no matter which time Pacer you use, but they don't only keep the pace nice and even, they give encouragement, and advice to everyone along the way, they take your mind of the running when its getting tough, and they encourage you to go on if you are doing well.
    They help alot of people get to the finish line and are a fantastic asset to any marathon.
    And don't forget, they all do it because of their kind and generous nature to help others achieve!
    Thanks! As a 5 hour gal it would be nice not to bust yourself at the start, and with nerves you might have a tendency to do just that. Great advice as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from my longest LSR to date, 13.4 miles in 2hrs 15mins, well chuffed as I found it ok, only getting a bit of a sore back towards the end. I'm doing my first HM in 2 weeks which I am more confident about now I know I have covered the distance. Now, there are pacers up to 2hr15 in the HM and now I'm unsure whether to go for a comfortable 2.15 or push myself to follow the 2hr guys. Do you think this would be a push too far or a reasonable challenge?? Having read your comments about pacers I'm keen to use them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Runchick wrote: »
    Just back from my longest LSR to date, 13.4 miles in 2hrs 15mins, well chuffed as I found it ok, only getting a bit of a sore back towards the end. I'm doing my first HM in 2 weeks which I am more confident about now I know I have covered the distance. Now, there are pacers up to 2hr15 in the HM and now I'm unsure whether to go for a comfortable 2.15 or push myself to follow the 2hr guys. Do you think this would be a push too far or a reasonable challenge?? Having read your comments about pacers I'm keen to use them...

How were you after your LSR? Was there more in the tank?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »

How were you after your LSR? Was there more in the tank?

Hi Mr Slow Yeah there was def a bit more in the tank, I ran the last half mile quite fast so wasn't ready to die or anything! Felt like I could have done another few miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Back after my 20km run in Donadea Forest. Had the pleasure of my last 4 kms been passed by loads of people doing a duathlon. They must have all thought I went off like a bullet and died but it made me run faster than I intended.

Ran it in 6.02 pace so happy with that as I could push harder if required.

Muddy in parts.

Was hungry towards the end but great confidence booster to do 20km as longest run ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You have run further than HM in training in 2:15, so going with the 2:15 pacers would be a step backwards. We all race faster than we train (at least we should do). I am not sure if you are ok for 2hrs, you will know better yourself but 2:15 is not even an option....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

zooming wrote: »
    At least you have told your friends!! I have not 'come out of the closet' so to speak lol, about my marathon ambitions, I am still carrying about a stone too much (i lost almost 6 stone over the past 2 years) and am hoping this marathon journey will help! I actually cried watching the Biggest loser marathon last week, did anyone see it? 26.2 miles in the Southern California heat too..phew. I think people will look at me sideways when I say Im doing a marathon, the same way they would look at a fat kid in a tutu who is looking to be a ballerina....disbelief and pity LOL!!:D
    Its good to have you guys to chat to! Im gonna do a 10 miler on Sunday, Im guessing 1 hr 58mins :eek:

Saw the biggest loser marathon alright, must say it was emotional kept thinking that will be me in a few months. Gotme very excited. Cant believe they had to do biggest loser marathon on open roads not closed to traffic. Looked a bit dangerous.

Might be easier to follow a pacer than check that watch every 5 yards!

I know i use an iphone app and am trying to train myself to stop taking it out and looking at it every 30 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I was thinking of following the Novice 2 plan also. I've done a few half-marathons so I know I'll be able to manage the first 6 weeks of LSRs in HH-N2. I hope in the first 6 weeks to get more comfortable with the distances I've already done.
    Excited to start building! :D

I'm up for Novice 2 also. One question though: We have to do pace runs on a Wed...how much faster should they be compared to the other runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Have my longest run to date to do this afternoon, 16kms. Not really looking forward to it as 12 is the furthest i've run so far. Wish me luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm up for Novice 2 also. One question though: We have to do pace runs on a Wed...how much faster should they be compared to the other runs?

They should be at goal marathon pace, get you used to some miles at your goal marathon pace.

Hi Mr Slow Yeah there was def a bit more in the tank, I ran the last half mile quite fast so wasn't ready to die or anything! Felt like I could have done another few miles...
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You have run further than HM in training in 2:15, so going with the 2:15 pacers would be a step backwards. We all race faster than we train (at least we should do). I am not sure if you are ok for 2hrs, you will know better yourself but 2:15 is not even an option....

What he said! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I know i use an iphone app and am trying to train myself to stop taking it out and looking at it every 30 seconds.

Try endomondo - it feeds back to you every kilometre / mille with your time so far, time for the last kilometre, expected finish time based on run so far etc - Brilliant app.

what do people use to track runs etc?

I bought a garmin 405cx with heart monitor and find it great

Try endomondo - it feeds back to you every kilometre / mille with your time so far, time for the last kilometre, expected finish time based on run so far etc - Brilliant app.

Cheers will give that one a try as that will be good especially for LSR's. Long term plan is to get one of the Garmin Forerunners with HRM. But that's a long way off

What he said! :D

Thanks for the comments guys.
    So I'm left with a dilemma, I would really like to use the pacers but feel I fall in between 2 and 2.15hrs, maybe I should try keeping up with the 2 hr guys and just fall back if I'm really struggling? I ran 5 mile the other night at a 9min pace but def not ready to attempt that over 13.1!

On a different note, anyone booked a hotel in Dublin yet for DCM? Any recommendations on where to stay, I'll be bringing my family - hubbie and 3 young kids - so want somewhere close to the action but suitable for them. Thinking I want to book it soon - kind of adding to the certainty of the whole thing! Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Trampas wrote: »
    what do people use to track runs etc?

I bought a garmin 405cx with heart monitor and find it great

I have the forerunner 110. I find it great and it doesnt look like a mini computer on the wrist. Have the HRM but I never use it. What do people think about using HRMs and are they any use?

Do you change pace etc according to HR ? Or is it just for information afterwards when analysing pace, distance etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

RedRunner wrote: »
    I have the forerunner 110. I find it great and it doesnt look like a mini computer on the wrist. Have the HRM but I never use it. What do people think about using HRMs and are they any use?

Do you change pace etc according to HR ? Or is it just for information afterwards when analysing pace, distance etc?

I use a HRM. I use it mostly when I am crosstraining to keep me training in my target Heart Rate Zone. I use it when i'm running but not really to monitor my heart rate but for the post run data. I find it very helpful when crosstraining to make sure i'm not over / under doing my work out but dont really use the heart rate info when i'm running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »

I find it useful but generally only analyse it after the run. As a general rule you should keep your easy runs below 80% of your max HR. It is often a good guage of improving fitness as you will notice you hold a better pace for a lower HR as you get fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

Going to jump aboard on this one. Hoping to do DCM in October but really lack any structured training plan -only run maybe twice a week- enter some races here and there. Dabbling in triathalons being the main reason for the lack of focus on running. Would hope to run DCM in 3.30- if
    I managed to stick to a training plan- is this realistic for a first marathon?

Race times
    5k Dublin Docklands May 2012 - 21.37
    5 miles Terenure May 2012 35.53
    10k Flora mini marathon June 2012 - 44.18
    10 mile frank Duffy 2011 1.19.26

1/2 marathon - only have connemathon under my belt in a slllllow 1.50!!

Just back from my 10 miler, 1 hr 56. Happy enough and could have done a bit more, I live up in the hills and it's up and down for the first 3 miles and the last 3 miles which I find tough towards the end, mile 4 10.59 mile 5 11.20 and 6 11.12. It's the hills that kill me!!!

I bought the Hal Higdon iPhone app and it's great! He talks to you every 10 mins and counts down your miles. ONLY HALF A MILE LEFT YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Runner2012 wrote: »

Race times
    5k Dublin Docklands May 2012 - 21.37
    5 miles Terenure May 2012 35.53
    10k Flora mini marathon June 2012 - 44.18
    10 mile frank Duffy 2011 1.19.26

1/2 marathon - only have connemathon under my belt in a slllllow 1.50!!

If that's slllllow most here are at tortoise pace. :)

13.19 miles this morning in 1hr 51min 14sec avg pace of 8.26min/mile. Felt very comfortable at this pace, tried my LSR a bit faster on advice of Mr Slow to see how it felt. Loads left in the tank when i finished. Up at 6am to run, i must be getting into this running stuff, either that or i'm losing it!!

tang1 wrote: »
    13.19 miles this morning in 1hr 51min 14sec avg pace of 8.26min/mile. Felt very comfortable at this pace, tried my LSR a bit faster on advice of Mr Slow to see how it felt. Loads left in the tank when i finished. Up at 6am to run, i must be getting into this running stuff, either that or i'm losing it!!

Just to clarify, I adviced incorporating paced runs into your LSR's not that you run them faster and that's not every run, just a few throughout your program.

Most of the rest of you will be running the marathon quite close to the pace you are running at now for your LSR's.

I bought the Hal Higdon iPhone app and it's great! He talks to you every 10 mins and counts down your miles. ONLY HALF A MILE LEFT YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Ha

I've been considering buying this app. I currently use Runkeeper which tells me my distance and pace every 10 mins and I like it too. With the Higdon app can you make changes to the plan, say add a mile to the distance and change days?? If so I think I might invest!

Just to clarify, I adviced incorporating paced runs into your LSR's not that you run them faster and that's not every run, just a few throughout your program.

I know, just improvised this morning seeing i was in the humour. Will be following your advice come 25th of June when the training programme kicks in.

• Advertisement

last day to sign up for the 1st event of the dcm race series

Advertisement