Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Runchick wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by this. I thought the pace runs were more or less as fast as you could manage over the distance, usually 60 - 90 seconds per mile faster than LSR pace. I thought marathon pace would be close to the LSR pace? Have I got this wrong??

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you run your LSR at x pace that you'll automatically run the marathon much faster, you won't!

The race series is a great tool to see how you're developing and should help shape your goal. The half marathon is the best indicator of what kind of shape you're in and what time all going well you could expect in DCM.

Thanks Mr Slow, I'd be delighted to run the whole thing at my current LSR so I'm happy with that!

I've so many questions, absolutely hooked on the whole thing, lovin this forum :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Runchick wrote: »
    Thanks Folan, so looking at the plan that means the furthest you will have done at marathon pace is 8 mile in week 12....I can't get my head around that at all!

Plan also includes a half marathon which can be raced as normal and which is likely to be quicker than your marathon pace.

The purpose of the longer runs is to train your body to metabolize fat and to get used to the extra time on your feet. Running them too quick gives you very little benefits and increases the risk of injury.

That makes total sense! Thanks dazza21ie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Just stumbled across this forum - hope it's not too late to join in! First time poster to Boards.ie so fingers crossed this works.

Hoping to make DCM 2012 my first marathon. Have been running for about 1.5 years. Took part in the Phoenix Park race series last year and really enjoyed it. Managed to keep up the training over the winter months and recently completed the Hal Higdon half mar programme for the Brussels 20km event on 27 May. Thinking of using his Novice 2 programme for the marathon training.

Here's some more running data on me:
    1. Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!).
    Not really sure of exact personal best times. Usually takes me about 50-60 mins to do 10km and bit over 2 hours to do half marathon.
    2. Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Not usually, although I had to stop a few times during the Brussels 20km as it was painfully hot throughout.
    3. How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant.
    I'd say 4-5 time a week, depending on the next run I've signed for (that would be the Grand Canal Run 8km later this month I think!)
    4. What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    How many days a week can you train?
    I'd love to finish my first marathon in about 4.5 hours, but not putting myself under any time pressure. Crossing the line will be prize enough. Can train 4-5 days a week. Also do Les Mills Body Pump classes a few times a week which I find great to build up strength. Should I sign off from my gym during the marathon training do you think?!
    5. Why are you running this marathon?
    As an asthmatic, I was always told athletics wasn't for me, so I guess I'm doing this to prove a point to myself.

Look forward to learning a lot from this forum in the coming weeks. Particularly interested in discussions on nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Welcome La Di La to the thread and to boards in general :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Letting the side down terribly. I was due to head out for a run this am but was too tired as I stayed up too late last night. My back isn't quite 100% yet but I think it's more than good enough to run. So I'll aim to go out and do an easy 3 miles tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have been taking it easy since Edinburgh marathon - have only run twice in those two weeks:

- BH Monday I did 2.5k, stopped for a while (in park with kids) and 3.5k back.
    - Circuit training on Wednesday night - banjaxed for 2 days afterwards (who knew there were muscles there?)
    - Saturday evening I did the Slaney Olympic BBQ Run in Curracloe - 4.77m in 36.05 along a trail in the Raven Nature Reserve. Far faster than my usual, far faster than intended but my Garmin battery was dead so I was just trying to keep up! Will try get out for 3m maybe tomorrow evening - at a normal pace.

Need to try and get back into the swing of regular runs. Have my HHN2 printed out, ready to go for June 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

G-Money wrote: »
    Letting the side down terribly. I was due to head out for a run this am but was too tired as I stayed up too late last night. My back isn't quite 100% yet but I think it's more than good enough to run. So I'll aim to go out and do an easy 3 miles tomorrow morning.
    THERE IS ALWAYS TOMORROW...you can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

La Di Da wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this forum - hope it's not too late to join in!....

Welcome, sounds like you've got a decent amount of work put in in the run up to the program, it'll stand to you I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Welcome la di da am also doing grand canal 8k next week so will be good to have a fellow boardie there

over the past couple of long runs, I noticed a real caking of salt on my face afterwards..is this normal? The days were warm but I had gone out at 7.30am so not in the hottest part of the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Going PB hunting again tonight, running a 10km in Kilbride, Co Meath at 8pm. Hope this rain eases up before then.

zooming wrote: »
    over the past couple of long runs, I noticed a real caking of salt on my face afterwards..is this normal? The days were warm but I had gone out at 7.30am so not in the hottest part of the day

Similar here - big salty beard on me after any long runs :pac: - sweat also stinging my eyes a bit too. It's natural to have some salt in your sweat.

tang1 wrote: »
    Going PB hunting again tonight, running a 10km in Kilbride, Co Meath at 8pm. Hope this rain eases up before then.

Best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

worst feeling ever! i was glad when i heard that im not the only one who comes home feeling like ive been attached by a salt shaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

folan wrote: »
    worst feeling ever! i was glad when i heard that im not the only one who comes home feeling like ive been attached by a salt shaker

Im glad youre not giving me juicy kisses lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

rasher_m wrote: »
    i am banned from going near my gf when i get back until ive had a shower. im hardly even allowed into any room other than the hall and the bathroom.

its actually worrying me a liitle bit too, ive been warned that loosing too much salt during a run can have serious implications over longer runs, and i have never experimented with any method of getting some salt back into me. its something i try to keep an eye on, but not something ive ever encountered. hopefully never will either

i am banned from going near my gf when i get back until ive had a shower. im hardly even allowed into any room other than the hall and the bathroom.

its actually worrying me a liitle bit too, ive been warned that loosing too much salt during a run can have serious implications over longer runs, and i have never experimented with any method of getting some salt back into me. its something i try to keep an eye on, but not something ive ever encountered. hopefully never will either

Well tinned salmon or tuna would be a great choice of food if it came to that but im sure you've nothing to worry about. my dad used to sweat buckets of salt and he managed sub 3 hr marathons with no health implications and hes still here to tell the tale. i used to think it was cause he carried a bit of weight/bulk so therefore excreted more.

Its mad! Would it mean we are consuming too much salt in our day to day lives?

I read an article on salt and sweat etc. It's an interesting read for those who feel like someone will throw some vinegar at them any second.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/nutrition/salt.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

See there's a talk on marathon running happening this eve at 7pm. Entry is 10 euro.

http://www.runireland.com/events/marathon-talk-262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I finished pacing 4 hours in Limerick to be hugged by a guy who had half turned to a pillar of salt, not a pleasant experience.:eek:

Losing salt through your pores is not a good thing, you're quite dehydrated at that stage, your blood becomes thicker and you heart has to work harder to pump it around your body, it's harder for your muscles to deal with and cramps can and will ensue. There are also issues for your kidneys but it's not a difficult fix, get yourself an electrolyte drink like Zero (effervescent tablets), have a glass on the morning of the race and carry a few tablets with you during so that you can add them to the bottled water on offer when required.

Mr Slow wrote: »

I finished pacing 4 hours in Limerick to be hugged by a guy who had half turned to a pillar of salt, not a pleasant experience.:eek:

Losing salt through your pores is not a good thing, you're quite dehydrated at that stage, your blood becomes thicker and you heart has to work harder to pump it around your body, it's harder for your muscles to deal with and cramps can and will ensue. There are also issues for your kidneys but it's not a difficult fix, get yourself an electrolyte drink like Zero (effervescent tablets), have a glass on the morning of the race and carry a few tablets with you during so that you can add them to the bottled water on offer when required.

Ha....rather you than me!
    That fix is good to know though.
    I am wondering if weight has anything to do with it too?

Ha....rather you than me!
    That fix is good to know though.
    I am wondering if weight has anything to do with it too?

I don't know, there was a lad with a few extra pounds who was fine on the day and another (Boards regular) who's quite lean that was covered from about 15 miles. I guess it just depends on how your individual system cools itself.

Dryish evening in Kilbride thank god, nice race. Flat two lap course which is serious PB potential, new personal best by 2min 44sec. Race time of 42min 57sec, only thing i can kind of complain about my race is i ran first mile in 6.05 (stupid). But any day i run PB of over 2 & half mins is a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Dryish evening in Kilbride thank god, nice race. Flat two lap course which is serious PB potential, new personal best by 2min 44sec. Race time of 42min 57sec, only thing i can kind of complain about my race is i ran first mile in 6.05 (stupid). But any day i run PB of over 2 & half mins is a great one.

Well done tang, great time. That's a savage first mile, 37 minute 10k pace! :eek: Fair play for hanging on after that.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well done tang, great time. That's a savage first mile, 37 minute 10k pace! :eek: Fair play for hanging on after that.

Cheers pconn062 happy out with my time, been trying to break 45mins for while now and finally have that monkey off my back. Don't know who i thought i was running that first mile:eek:

Cheers pconn062 happy out with my time, been trying to break 45mins for while now and finally have that monkey off my back. Don't know who i thought i was running that first mile:eek:

Keep up the training and you'll be running them all at that pace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMauer

New to boards guys. Have been reading through the initial 20 pages or so of this thread before skipping to the end to join! Will catch up with the rest of the info over the next few days. Very quick intro. Started running last year and have built to a distance of 20k achieved last weekend. Pace is slow at around 6.5km/m.

Couple of small races completed:
    5k Operation Transformation run 2011 in 29.27
    10k Samsung Night run 2011 in 59.36

So as you can see I find it difficult to speed up even for a race! ;) Really looking forward to starting the HHNovice 1 in a couple of weeks with a view to building fitness and endurance.

MissMauer wrote: »
    New to boards guys. Have been reading through the initial 20 pages or so of this thread before skipping to the end to join! Will catch up with the rest of the info over the next few days. Very quick intro. Started running last year and have built to a distance of 20k achieved last weekend. Pace is slow at around 6.5km/m.

So as you can see I find it difficult to speed up even for a race! ;) Really looking forward to starting the HHNovice 1 in a couple of weeks with a view to building fitness and endurance.

Welcome to the madness that is the Mentored Novices Thread DCM 2012. Your in the right place if your looking for sound advice on training, plans, nutrition etc. More experienced Boardies like Younganne, Mr Slow and Meno offer quality advice and wont steer you wrong. Enjoy the training!!

• Advertisement

MissMauer wrote: »

Welcome to the madness that is the Mentored Novices Thread DCM 2012. Your in the right place if your looking for sound advice on training, plans, nutrition etc. More experienced Boardies like Younganne, Mr Slow and Meno offer quality advice and wont steer you wrong. Enjoy the training!!

Advertisement