Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another plodder here !

My pace is a lot slower than most beginners it seems from reading through the forum. :) My "comfortable" pace is 10.5 - 10.8 minute miles / 6.5 - 6.75 minute kilometres. Anything faster than that isn't sustainable for too long.
    Don't worry about it. For my first year running, most of my training was done at this sort of pace, and quite a lot of my LSRs for my first marathon were done at a pace barely quicker than an 11 minute mile (20 miles at that pace is a LOT of time on your feet!). The mileage and consistent training will make you a lot faster, by the time my first marathon rolled around I'd already broken 2 hours for a half and ended up running 4:24 for the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

I plodded through my training for my first marathon last year too. I plodded around the marathon too but I finished and was thrilled. I continue to plod on many of my runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

corny wrote: »
    Anyway, I was planning on racing little once the mileage goes up but last Saturday and your post got me thinking. Is it feasible racing often while tackling mileage you're unused to? I'd love to do it. Love short races and i'm convinced they do wonders for me but alarm bells are going off in my head thinking about running fast on fatigued legs.:confused:

Corny, for me i hope to do some of the Raheny summer league which i think started tonight i think but physio tortured me today (on my way back from injury) so couldn't go. So if the legs ain't got it to run, i don't do them.

However the BHAA races and any 5ks nearby are worth it in my opinion. As said earlier, i would do one every 3 or 4 weeks so you'ld be talking 5 races under 5 miles between now and the marathon. Midweeks races this time of year are great as you can get in the races on a Wednesday and do the lsr at the weekend so you have recovery time between the two sessions.

I did Bohermeen the other night and will do the 5 miler there in September so thats one of the 5 and i've a couple more races noted as possibles. Not doing the race series at present just for a change so that will free up more weekends for me for the short race/lsr week.

But everyone's different and you have to listen to your legs on what you should do at various times. This will come to you all in time.

As a story for those in panic mode - My first 5k took 29 minutes, my second took 20 minutes and there was 4 months between them races so while you may think that you're going nowhere fast, you are but you just don't know it. Come Christmas you'll be all doing times in races that you never thought possible once you get a block of training behind you.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, it was over a long bank holiday weekend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

+1 on the above....to check out races here are 2 great websites....
    http://www.precisiontiming.net/
    http://www.runireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Younganne wrote: »
    I hate to tell you Rasher_m but after running 15miles you'll still be banjaxed and wondering Why & WTF??????

When i ran 16m for the first time, i could barely walk after it and I couldn't figure out how i would manage another 10m on top of that...but a wise old man(sorry NeilC;))more experienced runner told me that there was lots more training to do and on the day of the marathon, the crowds and the adrenaline would help me through...and he was so right...So go on, make the committment!!!:D

ha, i was afraid you'd say that. I keep thinking when I run over 11 miles and my feet are aching afterwards that I just need to get fitter but I guess thats not the case. Its just part and parcel of long runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

rasher_m wrote: »
    ha, i was afraid you'd say that. I keep thinking when I run over 11 miles and my feet are aching afterwards that I just need to get fitter but I guess thats not the case. Its just part and parcel of long runs.

It'll all come good in the end:D

Make sure you have proper runners so the aching feet are just from the mileage and not incorrect runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Phew!
    Glad Im not on my own here, to me anything faster than 11 min miles is warp speed, lol..Im happy stretching out the miles weekly strengthening my tendons and ligaments slowly as to avoid injury, Im 41 and have only been running a year really, this morning I did my fastest ever 3 miles at 32 mins and was chuffed! Knackered at the end of it, the sweat was dripping off me into my porridge LOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

chinguetti wrote: »
    As speedwork has been mentioned, anyone doing their first marathon doesn't need to do speedwork in my mind. All you need to do is get time on your feet and don't be worried about times for now, they will sort themselves out after the 10 miler/half when you have solid training done.

PDCAT, i don't do speedwork as it kills me and i get injuried too. Hasn't stopped me from doing decent times though, 67 for 10 miles and 1.28 for the half.

My solution to this is to race anything you can find under 5 miles. Not every week but once every 3/4 weeks. Look for a club need you that does races around the place that do leagues. Raheny is one that comes to mind that are all under 4 miles i think. Good running.

Yeah chinguetti - i am down to run a 4 miler and a half marathon during the plan. Also may run a 10miler. Will look into running a couple of 5k's (maybe once a month) or instead do some speed work on the track with the F4L. I need to be careful though, as i seem to pick up niggles fairly easy when increasing mileage or doing speedwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I ran everything at 10 min miles when I started, I ran DCM 2010 in 4:15. Once I had that base I was then able to up the training and run 3:29 in DCM 2011. Keep the faith.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have been running mostly around 6min km pace for my long runs and recovery and have tried to old 5.30 - 5.40 pace on my wednesday run.

Last weekend I did my longest run ever at 20km. Previous was 16km but a few months ago. I managed it fine in 2 hours but more hungry than anything at the end. When I was younger I could always run longer distance but could never sprint for the life of me. Seems like I still have that setup.

Just to keep a feel of what my race pace will be like.

with the 5 miler around the corner I would prefer to run closer to 5.10 - 5.20 pace.

So last night I went off on a 5.40pace for the 1st km. I increased my stride and next thing I am cruising the final 7km just over 5min pace.

Avg rate was 5.09km. Seems like all the running at slower pace has increase my fast speed. Heart rate was 162 which was lower than expected.

Stride I think is a key to speed increase.

I don't do any real speedwork more just my race pace runs than intervals as i am not ready for all that. Maybe next marathon but not for 1st. Learn how to run before running fast and hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Younganne wrote: »
    It'll all come good in the end:D

Make sure you have proper runners so the aching feet are just from the mileage and not incorrect runners!

Thx, thats a good point alright. I have found the Nike Pegasus that I'm using better than the Asics Keanus or something I was wearing. I found with Asics in general that my toe was going through the netting and they were the right size. My sisters had the same experience.
    I suppose though the Pegasus wont do me for when the LSR's get longer.
    I must get to AK's soon!

Trampas wrote: »
    Stride I think is a key to speed increase.

I don't do any real speedwork more just my race pace runs than intervals as i am not ready for all that. Maybe next marathon but not for 1st. Learn how to run before running fast and hard

It's not simply your stride, it's that your muscles are getting stronger from the longer miles allowing you to 'stride out', you'll find yourself running the shorter distances a lot faster than you'd imagine over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I ran everything at 10 min miles when I started, I ran DCM 2010 in 4:15. Once I had that base I was then able to up the training and run 3:29 in DCM 2011. Keep the faith.:)

Very encouraging to hear !

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

I have just entered the Dublin Half! OMG!!!!!! Im hoping for 2hrs 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's not simply your stride, it's that your muscles are getting stronger from the longer miles allowing you to 'stride out', you'll find yourself running the shorter distances a lot faster than you'd imagine over the next few months.

Interesting reading everyone's experiences with LSR paces, strides, etc.. In terms of stride, I tried something different last night. I went for a pace run which last week I did faster that ever at 8.59 min mile pace over 4.6 miles. Last night I went for the same run but tried using a shorter stride but increased the pace. I was amazed to make it round in a 8.41 min mile! I've never been able to run that pace before...is it a result of the change in stride or just the LSRs paying off? Whichever it is, I feel fantastic - like my fitness has taken a leap forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMauer

zooming wrote: »
    You are way faster than me! Its all about finishing on this forum, and loving each other (awww) through the rough times1
    I had a CRAP run this morning, 3 hard, wet, lead leg miles
    BOO!

Aww! Well up for showing and receiving support and love to get through this, thanks Zooming.

Although I have been running for a year or so it's been seriously hit and miss. Due to start the HH1 programme a week early to allow for hols later in the year. Also, I'll be training in the Phoeno on Saturday mornings for my LSRs so I'm sure I'll get to know some of you in person over the next 5 months.

Raging I didn't sign up for the 5 miler now, best of luck to everyone doing it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

MissMauer wrote: »
    Aww! Well up for showing and receiving support and love to get through this, thanks Zooming.

Although I have been running for a year or so it's been seriously hit and miss. Due to start the HH1 programme a week early to allow for hols later in the year. Also, I'll be training in the Phoeno on Saturday mornings for my LSRs so I'm sure I'll get to know some of you in person over the next 5 months.

Raging I didn't sign up for the 5 miler now, best of luck to everyone doing it. :-)

It is open for signups until tomorrow, the closing date was extended. You can still sign up for the 5miler. Go on, you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Once I had that base I was then able to up the training and run 3:29 in DCM 2011.
    ... what happened next tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice article in Fit magazine in Indo today relating to our chief mentor Younganne and her Meath Running Group, great achievement lads well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

My Garmin died yesterday :( That little virtual pacer dude was my best running partner. He'd join me any time of the day or night, on foot or by bike, no matter what the weather, and do a pace to suit my goals. But yesterday he just wouldn't wake up. No amount of fiddling with the charger made any difference; after 2.5 years, he needs a rest.

Was fairly lost without him this morning! Looks like the battery has packed it in at last. I knew it was going wonky, but hoped it would last a few more weeks (or months!) Actually I expected it would last longer than this, but maybe I've been using it more heavily than the average user? :confused: (This would SHOCK me! :P)

Anyway, if anyone has a recommendation of where's the best value place to get a new Garmin Forerunner 405 (or similar, I really like the virtual pacer function), I'd appreciate it. My HRM, wall charger & ANT agent USB are all ok, just need to replace the watch. Bought it originally from the Irish Fit store, don't think I'll be out that way any time soon though. Maybe Great Outdoors in Dublin city centre?
    miguelk wrote: »
    Shortie_chik is gearing up for N2 also so took at bit of inspiration from her weekly log, thanks!

MiguelK, there were definitely 2 other folks who were looking at the HHN2 plan too (although who that was completely escapes me now :o ) Glad there will be a few others on the same plan as me! Although I confess I didn't run yesterday (y'know, after my Garmin packed it in on me, and I got distracted with finishing some lovely flatpack furniture...) Did yesterday's run today though, so I've only lost 3 miles. :mad:
    zooming wrote: »
    All this talk of speed work is making me nervous! I just plod on at my same pace, for 4 miles or 10... I'm consistently slow!!! I feel I'm way off the pace here, gulp! Am I on my own?

I'm another of these slow plodders. I just show up & keep going & eventually I finish :) It's enough of a work out for me to just get out there, without bursting my heart to get around in record time! :eek:

I've just taken a look back over some of my first recorded runs (Jan 2010) and I was doing about 11:30 - 12:15 min miles. When I started back into a programme again this Spring, I was doing (not at all embarrassing :o) 11-12 min miles - massive progress! :P

A few weeks ago I decided to see if I could manage to push myself a little harder and can manage 10 min miles for a short run now (maybe up to 5 miles, that's the most I've tried) but my LSRs are still 11:30 min/miles and I fully expect to be following the 5 hours pacer in October! I'll decide in September once I see how my training gets me though the Half.

I went to the DSD talk on Tuesday night & it was really good. (Anyone else there? I'm the one with the nose-ring & sparkly glasses!) Very informative & motivational. I'll definitely be keeping with a pacer, and although I'm looking forward to the atmosphere & the buzz of running with similar-paced folks, the advice was definitely to keep your energy for running on the day, don't waste it on chit-chat! So this is good to know what to expect! Good advice on pacing, how to avoid injury & build strength, & setting realistic goals.

Was also really good to hear from a first time runner, Annette (Keogh I think?) How she fit the training into her life, a bit about how she managed nutrition (this was really helpful!) She said she usually eats healthily, and if something doesn't give her energy, she just has to carry it around on her run with her. It's a good healthy life mantra! :cool: She just seemed really relaxed about it all, didn't tell too many people (no extra pressure, I'm doing the exact same!)

Linda Byrne (London Olympian!) was there talking about her training. She seems so focused, really excited to see how she gets on in London. Also was funny, she was really nervous about speaking infront of the group. She's an Olympian for god's sake! She's what we all aspire to (well... :rolleyes:), no need to be nervous infront of a group of beginners! :)

Well if they do something similar again, I'd recommend it! Especially for newbies like me who find the magnitude of what I've signed up for a little scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

He bought me a pint:D

The story continues after a brief interlude, brace yourself for the meteoric rise of our hero as he puts the demons to rest and the smartasses back in their box. :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Anyone know if these marathon training workshops are worth doing? Deal ends at midnight tonight.

https://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/90-instead-of-180-for-First-Timers-Marathon-Training-Programme-with-Forget-The-Gym-Dublin-2/940/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I broke ranks today and ran my 3 miles easy at my planned 5 mile pace.
    I know its not all that important to be pushing for time but I was paranoid I would be going too fast as it is my very first race and I'd be doing it much faster than anything I've done in training.

Looking good anyway for it so very happy. Making great progress.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Nice article in Fit magazine in Indo today relating to our chief mentor Younganne and her Meath Running Group, great achievement lads well done.

Any link? or is there a thread here about it? Where in Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

La Di Da wrote: »
    Anyone know if these marathon training workshops are worth doing? Deal ends at midnight tonight.

https://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/90-instead-of-180-for-First-Timers-Marathon-Training-Programme-with-Forget-The-Gym-Dublin-2/940/

Not sure if I'm risking a ban here;), but looks a waste of money to me. Why pay €90 for workshops when you can get all your questions answered here? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

La Di Da wrote: »

Just took a closer look at some of the things they offer:
    • Detailed Training Plans and Training Logs
    • 16 Weeks of training updates and Online Support
    • Marathon Training Forum and community
    • Access to Online Database of Running Articles, Videos and Marathon Tips
    • Race Day Support (at Dublin Marathon and Race Series Events)
    • Informal meet-ups for weekend long runs

Most of these are already on the Boards ART forum! I would also suggest that the race day support on Boards is far superior in that it usually involves pints in the nearest pub to the finishing line:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Haven't a clue about how to create a link, no thread on it as far as i know and it doesn't state in the article where in Meath as far as i can recall. Not much help to you, sorry.

macinalli wrote: »
    Most of these are already on the Boards ART forum! I would also suggest that the race day support on Boards is far superior in that it usually involves pints in the nearest pub to the finishing line:)

McGrattans! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

tang1 wrote: »

Haven't a clue about how to create a link, no thread on it as far as i know and it doesn't state in the article where in Meath as far as i can recall. Not much help to you, sorry.

Not to worry,I may pick up a copy anyway,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Thanks Macinali and Mr. Slow. Hope to make it to McGrattans in one piece on 29 Oct.

You're probably right about the workshops. Trust me, I've plenty of other things to spend 90 squids on right now, like replacing my Garmin Forerunner 110 which was nicked on me recently together with lots of running gear. Gutted.

Haven't figured out to 'quote' part of a posting yet.

Advertisement