Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Anyway my knee is quite sore today, dont worry am making the trip to get new runners tomorrow as I know that a big part of the problem, but to ease the pain should I use a hot or cold pack, have googled it but couldnt find a clear answer so if anyone has any advice from past experience would be much appreciated.

cheers for now[/QUOTE]

Hi Martin_ie2012 I had awful trouble with sore knees about a month ago, around the time I really upped my weekly mileage. Anyway I took a whole week off running (which was really hard!) and started taking Glucosamine - the high strength ones - 1500mg a day. Anyway I haven't had a single twinge since! I'm not sure if its the glucosamine or just that my knees are getting used to it but something has worked and I take the pills religiously...might be worth a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Hi Alanm I don't know if I'm the best person to advise you but I'm in exactly the same boat. I did my longest LSR yesterday 14.4 miles and am doing a HM at week 1 and week 5 of the plan. So to follow the plan would be a step backwards. I think I'm going to jump in at Week 5 as week 1 and follow it there so my second HM will be in week 5 - but I'll be on week 9 of the plan. Then I was thinking of going back to join the plan at week 6 - so therefore cutting out weeks 1-4 and repeating 6-9. I'm not sure if this is the best approach but its all I can come up with :)

I'm also in the same boat, I'm just back from 11 miles and will be up to12 miles by the time the plan starts, so don't particularly want to cut back my mileage drastically. I'm doing the HH2 also, do that's a good idea about skipping the first few weeks and then repeating weeks 6-9. Think I might do that and then at least there'll be a few of us doing the same mileage.

I also take Glaucausamine (sp?) I started taking it last year when my hips were giving me grief. To be honest, I don't know how effective it really is, I don't notice any difference if I'm out of it for a week. I think it's more to do with your body getting used to the high mileage. But I still take it, you never know, maybe it's working in a preventative way, I haven't had any aches or pains to speak off (bar ongoing sciatica which I don't think I'd running related). And I know some people who swear by it, so I'd say it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Weekly check in! Plan was 3-5-3-8LSR, only went half to plan this week! :(

Did my 3 on Tuesday, and went to the DSD marathon running talk. Really motivating & well worth attending.

Wednesday: my Garmin decided it had had enough & wouldn't charge. Was busy with urgent (after 3 years) flat-pack business & friends moving to London, so no run. :mad:

Thursday I went out to do Wednesday's 5 mile run. Since I was just guessing my pace & distance, I ran for ~46 mins which (according to Google maps) looks like about 4.5 miles.

Saturday I headed out to do my 8 mile LSR, again guessing the distance by time. I figured 11:30ish min miles * 8 miles = 92 mins, so even allowing for getting tired / uneven pacing etc., if I did 90-100 mins I'd cover the 8 miles. Ran for ~99 mins & could feel that my right knee & lungs were fairly tired by the end of it. Was like a zombie with tiredness for the rest of the day, so in future I'll be scheduling an afternoon nap after my LSRs. :o

Today I got back on Google maps to check my distance for the 8 mile LSR; turns out it was more like 9 miles!!! :eek: (8.97m) No wonder I was so knackered!

Plan for next week: 3-5-3-8 again. I'm going to be in Galway for the weekend so looking forward to the novelty of new scenery. Planned my route already! :cool:

Trying to resurrect my watch with software updates & such today: & it looks like it's charging so hopefully I'll get a few more weeks out of it! :pac:

Excited to get started on the Official Training the week after next. This madness is getting closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Did my longest ever run this morning, 12 miles, 2 hr 20. Last 3 miles are ALL uphill so it was a battle. I dropped a lucozade sport for pick up on way back at 9 miles but I could have been doing with it a bit earlier. It's all trial and error at this stage. You guys came into my head around the 8 mile mark and I was wondering how many were struggling like me on an overcast Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Weekly check in! Plan was 3-5-3-8LSR, only went half to plan this week! :(

Did my 3 on Tuesday, and went to the DSD marathon running talk. Really motivating & well worth attending.

Wednesday: my Garmin decided it had had enough & wouldn't charge. Was busy with urgent (after 3 years) flat-pack business & friends moving to London, so no run. :mad:

Thursday I went out to do Wednesday's 5 mile run. Since I was just guessing my pace & distance, I ran for ~46 mins which (according to Google maps) looks like about 4.5 miles.

Saturday I headed out to do my 8 mile LSR, again guessing the distance by time. I figured 11:30ish min miles * 8 miles = 92 mins, so even allowing for getting tired / uneven pacing etc., if I did 90-100 mins I'd cover the 8 miles. Ran for ~99 mins & could feel that my right knee & lungs were fairly tired by the end of it. Was like a zombie with tiredness for the rest of the day, so in future I'll be scheduling an afternoon nap after my LSRs. :o

Today I got back on Google maps to check my distance for the 8 mile LSR; turns out it was more like 9 miles!!! :eek: (8.97m) No wonder I was so knackered!

Plan for next week: 3-5-3-8 again. I'm going to be in Galway for the weekend so looking forward to the novelty of new scenery. Planned my route already! :cool:

Trying to resurrect my watch with software updates & such today: & it looks like it's charging so hopefully I'll get a few more weeks out of it! :pac:

Excited to get started on the Official Training the week after next. This madness is getting closer...

Use mapmyrun.com beforehand to work out an appropriate route. No need to be guessing.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Use mapmyrun.com beforehand to work out an appropriate route. No need to be guessing.

I've a few routes for different distances worked out online this evening, incase my watch is going to be out of action. No more over-running for me! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Weekly log went as follows:
    3 miles tempo Tuesday
    3 miles pace Wednesday
    3 miles easy Thursday
    7 miles LSR Sunday

Didnt feel that hot at all this week, was lucky to get in the runs really.
    On a good note, I upped a day from 3 to 4 days running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I've a few routes for different distances worked out online this evening, incase my watch is going to be out of action. No more over-running for me! :o

Can't be cheating the rest of us with your extra training!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Don't worry yourself, plenty fellow plodders here! Im just hoping that a couple extra gears come the more training is done.

I haven't been on here for ages. Glad to hear there are still other plodders going strong. I've moved house so been fitting in training as and when I could. Is it next week or the week after the plan is starting?!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

3m easy /4mp /3.1miles (pace test)/ 7 lsr = 17 miles

Had a good week, hit my target milage.
    Was away at the weekend in Westport so it was great to have an LSR in unfamiliar territor. Nice part of the country. Plus it was great still getting it done even with the partying.

I'll be sticking to the plan once it starts but for my Thursday run (should have been 3 easy) i wanted to do a pace check for the upcoming 5 miler as I've never ran a race before so I didn't know what pace I could handle.
    Got through the 3.1 miles in 23:49. Delighted.

This week coming:

3/5/3 + 8lsr.

• Advertisement

So my weekly log for last week, 5 easy, 4 easy, 4 tempo, 11 long

I did the 11 lsr yesterday morning, I still think I’m running my lsr a bit fast, I was averaging a 9.27 min mile, my target race pace is 9 min mile, so I could probably do with slowing my lsr by 10 or 20 seconds. I did find the 11 miles quite tough, it was really sunny and warm here yesterday morning, so I struggled a bit in the heat, my legs felt very sluggish at the end. But I got there and there was some tight hills in there, so legs probably would have been a bit fresher if the route had been flatter.

To make matters worse, I had no suncream in the house, so I got a bit sunburned round the shoulders and back….. and I was wearing a racer back top, so I have some very interesting patterns on my back today! :D

Aiming for 4-5-4-12 this week, and looking forward to the plan starting proper next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jinny1

Started training in November, all going very well so far. Ran Flora Mini on 4th June, where I suspected I got groin strain, but thought I could work through it. Hasnt been too bad, and I've been taking it a bit easier. Was to do my LSR on Sat, 12 miles, had to give up @ 9m. Went out yesterday evening for a short one to see how I felt. Searing pain down front of thigh... will have to have it seen to, but dont know who any advise welcome, but needless to say, I am very distressed as don't want to have to take a long break at this detrimental stage of training :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Jinny1 wrote: »
    Started training in November, all going very well so far. Ran Flora Mini on 4th June, where I suspected I got groin strain, but thought I could work through it. Hasnt been too bad, and I've been taking it a bit easier. Was to do my LSR on Sat, 12 miles, had to give up @ 9m. Went out yesterday evening for a short one to see how I felt. Searing pain down front of thigh... will have to have it seen to, but dont know who any advise welcome, but needless to say, I am very distressed as don't want to have to take a long break at this detrimental stage of training :(.

Sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best go see a Physio.
    Groin strains are normally not that serious but you can aggravate it if you keep running on it. Also don't try stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

+1 on Memos advice. Anyone who has niggles best get them looked out.

Just to remind people that we can't give medical advice on the Forum so always get a professional opinion. Theres no issue with asking for peoples experiences when dealing with different things or advice on stretches etc...

1 week to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jinny1

Thank you, yes just joined the forum, after months of just looking, and trying to find my way around. Appreciate the advise, thank you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thank you, yes just joined the forum, after months of just looking, and trying to find my way around. Appreciate the advise, thank you again.

Where do you live? We all have our favourite physios we can recommend you in different parts of the country...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where do you live? We all have our favourite physios we can recommend you in different parts of the country...

Arklow.

Funny I had a bit of groin strain myself there a month or two ago, I am convinced it was after a spin class! I have been stretching it and it's come a long way. But it was only a niggle, anything painful would need professional treatment. However I feel we can do much ourselves to prevent niggles, stretching and ice baths after long runs have helped me plus I get a leg massage every so often really helps things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I had a very strange experience today and I wonder if this is normal ...

Background to this which may be relevant is I run my LSR's on Mondays as it suits my work life. On Saturday night I went out to a cousins 40th party with the honest intention of only having 4 beers and taking it easy - one thing led to another and I overshot by about 4 beers :( - add in a family barbecue on Sunday and I came out of the weekend with zero excercise and a couple of belly fulls of food and drink. (Typical couch potato style :D) I decided that I needed to work off those extra calories and opted to extend my LSR to 10 miles / 16 Kilometres today. My longest ever run prior to this was 12K last Monday. I was following the 10 mile race route for the race series in the phoenix park.

So off I went today at a slow enough pace fully intent on running 10 miles and wanting to save energy. Big issue though - left shin was hurting, not sharp pain just a dull ache and tightness. Over the course of the first 2k the calf and ankle joined in (probably compensating in some way for the pain in the shin by running slightly differently) Ended up having to walk a bit trying to see if short walk break would ease it out. It didn't seem to be and I was contemplating calling the entire run off early as I didn't want to cause long term injury for short term goal gain. Anyway things improved around the 5k mark and any aches and pains were normal and in line with the rest of the body so I kept going. By K7 I was back running the downhill of the main phoenix park road. I had come back past my car and had grabbed a bottle of water which was a great help and I felt strong enough to do the second half.

Around 12 / 13 K into the run I'm feeling like I normally would after a long run. I'm hot, I'm a bit thirsty, I'm tired and I'm concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and focused on making it back to the car. I've just come up one of the steep hills on the chapelizood side of the park And here comes the strange bit.

Out of nowhere I suddenly became aware that I was cold. I'm wondering how / why I'd be cold this far into a run. Then I realised that I wasn't sore anywhere - not even the left leg which gave trouble early in the run. Not only was there no background pain but I felt like there was no effort in running. Breathing was as if I was walking. The second big hill of that section arrives and I powered up it like it was downhill. Again no pain, no distress, absolutely nothing - but still cold and possibly getting colder. As bizarre as this sounds I felt so comfortable bar the cold that I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong so I stopped for a walk. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in shock or something. After a couple of minutes walking I decided to keep going and finish off the run. I covered the last 2k as I had the previous 2k comfortable, pain and reasonably effort free at the same pace and ended up covering the 10 miles in 1 hour 45 minutes (10.5 minute miles) This is quite a fast pace for me LSR wise. Now 15 minutes after the run - all aches and pains were back with vengeance.

I'm wondering did the extra calories etc over the weekend provide for more energy to use up late in the run or was that just a coincidence. Was it adrenalin kicking in ? I honestly could have kept going after the 10 miles but as it was already a 4k step up from my previous longest run I felt it best to stop. So my question is - does any of that sound familiar ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Background to this which may be relevant is I run my LSR's on Mondays as it suits my work life. On Saturday night I went out to a cousins 40th party with the honest intention of only having 4 beers and taking it easy - one thing led to another and I overshot by about 4 beers :( - add in a family barbecue on Sunday and I came out of the weekend with zero excercise and a couple of belly fulls of food and drink. (Typical couch potato style :D) I decided that I needed to work off those extra calories and opted to extend my LSR to 10 miles / 16 Kilometres today. My longest ever run prior to this was 12K last Monday. I was following the 10 mile race route for the race series in the phoenix park.

So off I went today at a slow enough pace fully intent on running 10 miles and wanting to save energy. Big issue though - left shin was hurting, not sharp pain just a dull ache and tightness. Over the course of the first 2k the calf and ankle joined in (probably compensating in some way for the pain in the shin by running slightly differently) Ended up having to walk a bit trying to see if short walk break would ease it out. It didn't seem to be and I was contemplating calling the entire run off early as I didn't want to cause long term injury for short term goal gain. Anyway things improved around the 5k mark and any aches and pains were normal and in line with the rest of the body so I kept going. By K7 I was back running the downhill of the main phoenix park road. I had come back past my car and had grabbed a bottle of water which was a great help and I felt strong enough to do the second half.

Around 12 / 13 K into the run I'm feeling like I normally would after a long run. I'm hot, I'm a bit thirsty, I'm tired and I'm concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and focused on making it back to the car. I've just come up one of the steep hills on the chapelizood side of the park And here comes the strange bit.

Out of nowhere I suddenly became aware that I was cold. I'm wondering how / why I'd be cold this far into a run. Then I realised that I wasn't sore anywhere - not even the left leg which gave trouble early in the run. Not only was there no background pain but I felt like there was no effort in running. Breathing was as if I was walking. The second big hill of that section arrives and I powered up it like it was downhill. Again no pain, no distress, absolutely nothing - but still cold and possibly getting colder. As bizarre as this sounds I felt so comfortable bar the cold that I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong so I stopped for a walk. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in shock or something. After a couple of minutes walking I decided to keep going and finish off the run. I covered the last 2k as I had the previous 2k comfortable, pain and reasonably effort free at the same pace and ended up covering the 10 miles in 1 hour 45 minutes (10.5 minute miles) This is quite a fast pace for me LSR wise. Now 15 minutes after the run - all aches and pains were back with vengeance.

I'm wondering did the extra calories etc over the weekend provide for more energy to use up late in the run or was that just a coincidence. Was it adrenalin kicking in ? I honestly could have kept going after the 10 miles but as it was already a 4k step up from my previous longest run I felt it best to stop. So my question is - does any of that sound familiar ?

The energy buzz is in my opinion because you took a few extra days off and had more fuel in the tank.
    Im not sure about the feeling cold bit but the breathing part I can relate to, sometimes my breathing is so perfect when I think it shouldnt be that I start second guessing why Im breathing so well when ive been running so long. I then as you said give myself a fright and have to start convincing myself everything is fine.

At the DSD talk last week, Annette Keogh said she also gets cold on long runs. She warms up as usual over the first few miles, but after 10m or so, she said she just finds she always gets cold. Don't know if this is any reassurance to know that you're not the only one; her advice was to wear a hat! :)

I went through a phase of my long run yesterday (11 miles) when I got very cold, even though it was really hot and sunny. I figured that it was just my body trying to cool down to deal with the heat. But it didn’t really concern me, I soon was sweating again! Oh, and I had a hat on too!

I think the extra days off are what gave you your burst of energy today, I always feel I could run the marathon right there and then if I’ve had two or three days off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks for the replies guys.

The way work goes I'm at my busiest at weekends so I tend to run my LSR Monday, rest Tuesday and do 3 x shorter runs Wed, Thur, Fri. As such the couple of days off before the LSR are normal - the stack of beers and barbecue wouldn't be though :D

Am glad others have experienced the same cold spot. It was a strange experience but I suppose it's all part of the learning curve of a new runner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Did 3 miles this morning but really wasn't in the mood for it. I was supposed to go yesterday morning but was far too tired so stayed in bed. Am going to try out training Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun now for a while as doing so means one less morning I need to run before work.

Even now I'm back, it hasn't massively improved my mood. Still not going super-fast, I reckon I was doing the same distance a few minutes faster a few weeks ago. Am hoping the 2 week break hasn't set me back too far.

Well guys how are the runs going? This week Im doing the following
    Wed 4 miles
    Thur 4 miles
    Sat gym
    Sunday 13.1 miles
    GULP!!! My estimate of my 13.1 miles is 2hrs 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

5 mile docklands tonight. really not feeling up for a race, so mightnt really push on it and waitfor the park for a better run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mon - 7miles
    Tues - 5miles
    Wed - 7miles
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri- Cycle
    Sat - 9miles
    Sun - 15miles

My plan for the week before the training programme kicks in next Monday, 18 weeks then till DCM 2012. Not alot of time when ya think about it!!

zooming wrote: »
    Well guys how are the runs going? This week Im doing the following
    Wed 4 miles
    Thur 4 miles
    Sat gym
    Sunday 13.1 miles
    GULP!!! My estimate of my 13.1 miles is 2hrs 35

Similar mileage to you this week Zooming,

Tues - 4
    Wed - 5
    Thurs - 4
    Sat - 12 :eek:

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Similar mileage to you this week Zooming,

Tues - 4
    Wed - 5
    Thurs - 4
    Sat - 12 :eek:

Soon they'll just be numbers and not miles anymore. ;)

Advertisement