Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Tues - 3
    Thurs - 3
    Sat - 6
    Sun - 3

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

ncmc wrote: »
    Similar mileage to you this week Zooming,

Tues - 4
    Wed - 5
    Thurs - 4
    Sat - 12 :eek:
    whats your longest run to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ta-ble!
    ta-ble!
    ta-ble!
    ta-ble!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Looking at many of the above posts the mileage is a good bit higher than the first week of the Novice 1 plan. I am in a similar boat where my last two weeks were 25 and 22 miles.

Would it be advisable to maybe think about doing Novice 2 instead, giving a 21 mile first week instead of a 15 mile one? Or is it the case that stepping back and allowing sufficient recovery in the early weeks is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

zooming wrote: »
    whats your longest run to date?

Did 11 miles on Sunday, legs were v heavy at the end, but it was very sunny and warm, so that probably contributed to the tiredness. Overall though, I felt pretty good after it. It's amazing, 2 months ago, I did 10k for the first time and was wrecked, it's funny how the miles get easier as your fitness improves :D.

• Advertisement

Satanta wrote: »
    Looking at many of the above posts the mileage is a good bit higher than the first week of the Novice 1 plan. I am in a similar boat where my last two weeks were 25 and 22 miles.

Would it be advisable to maybe think about doing Novice 2 instead, giving a 21 mile first week instead of a 15 mile one? Or is it the case that stepping back and allowing sufficient recovery in the early weeks is better?

A few of us are doing the Novice 2 Satanta... myself, Runchick, Shortie-Chik, Alanm, Zooming and a few others that I can't think of right now, so you won't be the only one!

I am thinking of starting at week 4 or 5 of the Novice 2 program and then repeating some weeks further down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

My plan this week is as follows:
    Tues: 3miles tempo
    Wed: 5 miles pace
    Thur: 3 miles easy
    Sunday: At least 7 miles

This plan could go Pete Thong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RayCun wrote: »
    ta-ble!
    ta-ble!
    ta-ble!
    ta-ble!

Ok, Ok i heard you the first time:p
    We tried a table a few weeks back but there was no uptake, but i suppose your right time to start!!!:D

Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Younganne|2|13.35miles| 459.04miles| only 2 runs due to illness
    Name| | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

I've entered my own run details for last week to give you the idea.
    Quote this post, and delete everything outside the table tags to get a copy you can edit. Replace a name with your own name, and add the number of runs you've done last week, the total distance you've run, plus any comments about those runs.

So, anyone have any questions before the first week of training? Any marathon questions in general? i'll be back on later to answer!!

For those of you who have built up bigger mileage, its a good idea to go with jumping in on the week that is similar to where you're at and then repeat each week x 2 until the plan catches up with you. This will give you an even better aerobic base and will make the higher mileage a bit easier!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Ok I'll go next! :eek:

Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

there is just such great support on here, its brilliant! Im loving it!!! My training will get a bit wobbly as holidaying on 7 July, but wont let it go, we have a half marathon to look towards in September (Im not looking past that yet...)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I'll give this a go. I'll probably break the table. This was last week.

Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    Duzzie |4|26km| 372km| Recovery Week (Using Asics plan rather than HH)
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

This is gaining momentum...

Duzzie |4|26km| 372km| Recovery Week
    Miguelk |4|17.13miles|59.73miles| First Sub 24min for 5k in training
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks

Goes to show the reliance on the Garmin! I'd be lost if mine went bust, def rely on it too much and it shouldn't be that way (its only a tool after all) -its the stats to motivate me I think and it reassures me that my pace is on track.

In your position I'd probably just run a previous course recorded on garmin connect with a stop watch and roughly know the mile markers and that would keep you in pace.

Well now with this tracking table its a motivation to keep the numbers progressing and that in itself may get you back on track for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Satanta |4|22.65 miles|Unknown. 192 logged in Endomondo|
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Satanta wrote: »
    Rasher_m |4 |16 miles|?|Wasn't feeling great but got all runs in but lower LSR
    Name | | |

miguelk wrote: »
    Goes to show the reliance on the Garmin! I'd be lost if mine went bust, def rely on it too much and it shouldn't be that way (its only a tool after all) -its the stats to motivate me I think and it reassures me that my pace is on track.

In your position I'd probably just run a previous course recorded on garmin connect with a stop watch and roughly know the mile markers and that would keep you in pace.

Well now with this tracking table its a motivation to keep the numbers progressing and that in itself may get you back on track for next week.

I definitely do rely on it, but turns out it's not quite dead yet! Phew! I'm investigating battery replacement before I need it though. I can't afford €200 on a new watch, but even if it's €50 or so (& hopefully not much more!) to get a new battery, that could keep me going for another 2 years.

I might have missed my run last Wed anyway, as I had a bunch of once-off stuff on that day, but I'm sure I was more "encouraged" to skip because I knew I couldn't measure it properly! :o There'll be no more missed runs from here on out; only about 18 weeks to go & I need the practice! :pac:

Did 3 miles this morning & my legs felt like lead for the first half. Had to stop & stretch after 1.8m, but the last 1.2m was definitely easier afterwards. I guess it was a combination of a longer-than-expected run on Sat (9m instead of 8m), and donating blood yesterday afternoon. Hopefully another 24 hours rest & some steak & sleep & I'll fly along again tomorrow!

On the up side, it was my 10th donation & they gave me a little silver chain with a pelican pendant :D

Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 4 looking2011

Would love to join this thread if not too late. I am planning on running my first marathon this October. I am currently a 'jogger' and can run 10 to 14k without stopping. Am doing a 10k this sat to see what kind of time I am currently at. My only problem is that I am going in for a new heart pacemaker next week which is going to set me back training wise. Before you think I am an oap my details are as follows:
    I am female, 39 yrs old, non-smoker, in good health apart from the heart.
    Is it possible to 'catch up' in the training plan from mid-July when hopefully I will have sufficiently recovered to run again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Did 3 miles this morning & my legs felt like lead for the first half. Had to stop & stretch after 1.8m, but the last 1.2m was definitely easier afterwards. I guess it was a combination of a longer-than-expected run on Sat (9m instead of 8m), and donating blood yesterday afternoon. Hopefully another 24 hours rest & some steak & sleep & I'll fly along again tomorrow!

If it's a full blood donation (the standard donation) then apparently it can take up to 6 weeks for your iron levels to recover completely. Take it a little easier for the rest of the week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    brophya2007 |5|18 miles|18 miles|3 x 3miles, 1 x 4 miles, 1 x 5 miles|
    Name | | |

RayCun wrote: »
    If it's a full blood donation (the standard donation) then apparently it can take up to 6 weeks for your iron levels to recover completely. Take it a little easier for the rest of the week anyway.
    I suppose they took the standard donation (a pint?) My iron levels are always good when I go to donate :D but I will definitely be doing a more gentle pace for the rest of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Duzzie wrote: »
    Duzzie |4|26km| 372km| Recovery Week (Using Asics plan rather than HH)

Hey Duzzie, is that the plan on myasics.co.uk? If so, do you mind me asking why you're using it?

There was some comment/criticism on another thread as it just seems v light on miles. The marathon is an unforgiving race - you really do get back what you put in during training. The HH novice 1 plan peaks at about 40 miles per week, whereas Asics peaks at about 30. I think that the Asics plan might have lots of bells & whistles (reminders etc) but plans like HH are tried and trusted. Worth considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    Dave McMahon|4|19miles|87miles|2 x 3miles, 1 x 4mile. 9mile LSR
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    Name | | |

Hope this works!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Would love to join this thread if not too late. I am planning on running my first marathon this October. I am currently a 'jogger' and can run 10 to 14k without stopping. Am doing a 10k this sat to see what kind of time I am currently at. My only problem is that I am going in for a new heart pacemaker next week which is going to set me back training wise. Before you think I am an oap my details are as follows:
    I am female, 39 yrs old, non-smoker, in good health apart from the heart.
    Is it possible to 'catch up' in the training plan from mid-July when hopefully I will have sufficiently recovered to run again?

There's a lot of 'if's in your question, why not recover fully and then attack a full training plan for a Spring Marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DMG1983

ncmc wrote: »
    ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    dmg1983 |4 | 13 miles|no idea| didn't get the 6 miles I was hoping to do on sunday so I'm doing it this evening!!

Advertisement