Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Hello, very very new to all of this and I am looking for some advice before i decide 100% to run DCM 2012 or not.

Just looking at the thread it seems a lot of people are well under way on their training programme for it. Is it too late for me to start this week? I have been doing some running (2/3 times a week) ranging from 4 to 7 km runs for the last couple of months along with other things so i wouldnt be starting from scratch exactly.

Basically I dont want to leave myself short come raceday etc. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

I'm in. Did a half marathon and a few 10k's a few years ago before I hit 30. Then got really lazy and used excuses like buying a house and getting married as reasons not to have the time to do it.

Read this thread and thought f**k it, why not? I play 7 a side soccer twice a week but it's fairly casual. Hadn't run in two years before yesterday. Before I'd gotten past my neighbours house my knees said "Hang on a minute, what are you doing?" Ran three miles anyway. Stopped twice. Got absolutely soaked on the way back but felt great after it.

I'm going to go twice more this week to be ready to start the programme properly next week.

Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi guys that table is quite scary, you are supposed to be the novices!!! I started last week managed two 3 mile runs thur and Fri last week, no real problems but not exactly easy. Plannining to start HH1 this evening and follow the plan as far as i can go, the LSR distances build up fairly quickly. Great thread by the way good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Clareview wrote: »
    Hello, very very new to all of this and I am looking for some advice before i decide 100% to run DCM 2012 or not.

Just looking at the thread it seems a lot of people are well under way on their training programme for it. Is it too late for me to start this week? I have been doing some running (2/3 times a week) ranging from 4 to 7 km runs for the last couple of months along with other things so i wouldnt be starting from scratch exactly.

Basically I dont want to leave myself short come raceday etc. Thanks
    If you can run 3 miles(5km) 3 times this week and 6miles(10KM) on Sat/sun then you'll be fine..You can take walking breaks to get you around but the mileage will be increasing weekly so see how you get on!!Some people are running for years before they decide to do a marathon

The 18 week plan starts next week June 25 (with a rest day)and if you can manage the first week then you will be fine to build it up weekly following the plan
    If you think the Training plan (Novice 1) is too much then look at Hal Higdon Spring training and build up a base and do a marathon 6-12 mths....

Rega wrote: »
    I'm in. Did a half marathon and a few 10k's a few years ago before I hit 30. Then got really lazy and used excuses like buying a house and getting married as reasons not to have the time to do it.

Read this thread and thought f**k it, why not? I play 7 a side soccer twice a week but it's fairly casual. Hadn't run in two years before yesterday. Before I'd gotten past my neighbours house my knees said "Hang on a minute, what are you doing?" Ran three miles anyway. Stopped twice. Got absolutely soaked on the way back but felt great after it.

I'm going to go twice more this week to be ready to start the programme properly next week.

Onwards and upwards!

be very careful if you haven't been doing any running, to go out an suddenly do 3 x 3m runs in a week may lead to injury..take it easy and see how it goes for a few weeks before committing. Like Claireview above, maybe concentrate on building a base up and aim for a spring Marathon
    joe40 wrote: »
    Hi guys that table is quite scary, you are supposed to be the novices!!! I started last week managed two 3 mile runs thur and Fri last week, no real problems but not exactly easy. Plannining to start HH1 this evening and follow the plan as far as i can go, the LSR distances build up fairly quickly. Great thread by the way good luck to everyone

Don't pay any attention to the numbers on the table, some people have been running for a while, others are starting out too. Enjoy the journey!:D

Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Younganne|2|13.35miles| 459.04miles| only 2 runs due to illness
    Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    Duzzie |4|26km| 372km| Recovery Week
    Miguelk |4|17.13miles|59.73miles| First Sub 24min for 5k in training
    Satanta |4|22.65 miles|Unknown. 192 logged in Endomondo|
    Rasher_m |4 |16 miles|?|Wasn't feeling great but got all runs in but lower LSR
    folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    brophya2007 |5|18 miles|18 miles|3 x 3miles, 1 x 4 miles, 1 x 5 miles|
    AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    Dave McMahon|4|19miles|87miles|2 x 3miles, 1 x 4mile. 9mile LSR
    ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    dmg1983 |4 | 13 miles|no idea| didn't get the 6 miles I was hoping to do on sunday so I'm doing it this evening!!
    Name | | |
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

Table is filling up nicely, just added a few more lines for ye!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

macinalli wrote: »
    Hey Duzzie, is that the plan on myasics.co.uk? If so, do you mind me asking why you're using it?

There was some comment/criticism on another thread as it just seems v light on miles. The marathon is an unforgiving race - you really do get back what you put in during training. The HH novice 1 plan peaks at about 40 miles per week, whereas Asics peaks at about 30. I think that the Asics plan might have lots of bells & whistles (reminders etc) but plans like HH are tried and trusted. Worth considering!
    Yeah that's the plan I'm using. I had a look at a few different plans and found them all to be very similar. I plumped for the Asics one as I liked the way it was laid out, gives recommended paces for runs and seemed a bit more adaptable / flexible. It also seems to include a bit of faster running that HH novice doesn't seem to. In terms of mileage, I am actually doing a bit of extra mileage and running days above the mileage in the plan, as well as additional cross training, so I am happy that I am doing the mileage. It also allows me to have a longer training plan, mine is in week 5 as opposed to the HH novice plan that starts this week. I basically think the plan suits me better but I'll reserve judgement on whether it is enough until 29th October.

Would love to join this thread if not too late. I am planning on running my first marathon this October. I am currently a 'jogger' and can run 10 to 14k without stopping. Am doing a 10k this sat to see what kind of time I am currently at. My only problem is that I am going in for a new heart pacemaker next week which is going to set me back training wise. Before you think I am an oap my details are as follows:
    I am female, 39 yrs old, non-smoker, in good health apart from the heart.
    Is it possible to 'catch up' in the training plan from mid-July when hopefully I will have sufficiently recovered to run again?
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    There's a lot of 'if's in your question, why not recover fully and then attack a full training plan for a Spring Marathon?

Make sure you seek full medical consent from your consultant to train for a marathon.
    You seems to ahve a bit of a base so if you run the distance that are in 3/4 of the plan you should be ok...but i would stongly agree with MR Slow, build up the base and aim for Spring marathon, it will only lead to a more enjoyable marathon...

Duzzie wrote: »
    Yeah that's the plan I'm using. I had a look at a few different plans and found them all to be very similar. I plumped for the Asics one as I liked the way it was laid out, gives recommended paces for runs and seemed a bit more adaptable / flexible. It also seems to include a bit of faster running that HH novice doesn't seem to. In terms of mileage, I am actually doing a bit of extra mileage and running days above the mileage in the plan, as well as additional cross training, so I am happy that I am doing the mileage. It also allows me to have a longer training plan, mine is in week 5 as opposed to the HH novice plan that starts this week. I basically think the plan suits me better but I'll reserve judgement on whether it is enough until 29th October.

How does it decide what pace you should run for your runs...Pace is not a "one size fits all"...be very careful if the pace is not suited to your ability, it could be too fast or too slow...too fast and you will suffer in the marathon, too slow and you could lose interest/motivation and not reach your full potential
    Also be careful about adding training days and more miles.. training plans are designed to help you achieve the goal of whatever distance, in this case the marathon without gettin injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    dmg1983 |4 | 13 miles|no idea| didn't get the 6 miles I was hoping to do on sunday so I'm doing it this evening!!
    Corny |5 |34 miles |371.42 this year|Difficult week but really happy where i'm at. Rest week next week:)
    Name | | |
    Name | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Duzzie wrote: »

Your plan for extra miles makes sense. For your first marathon you can get away without speed work, but you can't get away with doing low miles.

Annes point above about the pace of your runs is also right though. Be careful not to go too hard on the faster runs - the combination of fast runs with long miles can often lead to injuries if you're not used to marathon training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Corny |5 |34 miles |371.42 this year|Difficult week but really happy where i'm at. Rest week next week:)
    Trampas|4 | 28.35km |423.77 km | Easier week last week due to 20km run on the Saturday
    Name | | |

Anne,

The programme calculates your pace based on previous runs. When you set up a programme, you tell it what your target is. The programme can be used for any distance and you can set that you want to finish a distance or you can give a target time. In my case I set that I wanted to complete a marathon in a set time. I then gave it details of a previous run that I have done (eg a 10k in xx minutes). It uses your target time to calculate the target pace for the various distances in the programme and gives you a target range (for example my target range for my 8km tonight was 5:55km/min - 5:33). It then compares your target time with the previous run time that you entered and advises whether your target time is realistic or whether you'll be overdoing it and risking injury. As you progress through the programme, you can update the paces by entering updated actual running times (I will be adding my 5mile run at the end of the month). I agree with you 100% that there is no "one pace fits all" but with this programme, you use you actual run times to set your target paces. The same can be said with the HH programme, what is a "tempo" pace and how do you know if you are overdoing / underdoing it. There is no programme that is right for everyone. The job is to find a programme that suits for you and works for you. In my case I like the Asics programme and find that it works for me. That is the key thing. I have gone from struggling to run 5km just 4 months ago to being able to running decent distances in a respectable time for me, so for me the programme is doing what I want it to do. Will it get me around the DCM course? Your guess is as good as mine, but the same can be said for the HH programme. All I do know is that I like the Asics programme and it keeps me motivated and keeps me running, and that is what I need.

In terms of adding mileage, I am not talking about adding huge mileage. I might run 5km on an extra day or I might run a 7km on a 5km run day. I am certainly not making large increases in my weekly total. I also run with a HRM to keep an eye on my HR to make sure I am not overdoing things. I am also very careful and listen to my body when I get aches and pains. I cant guarantee that I wont pick up an injury but I am being careful.

Time to get off my soap box.

Younganne wrote: »
    How does it decide what pace you should run for your runs...Pace is not a "one size fits all"...be very careful if the pace is not suited to your ability, it could be too fast or too slow...too fast and you will suffer in the marathon, too slow and you could lose interest/motivation and not reach your full potential
    Also be careful about adding training days and more miles.. training plans are designed to help you achieve the goal of whatever distance, in this case the marathon without gettin injured.

Macinalli, I think you are being overly generous with calling it speed work, it is more like "less slow work". I normally just pick up the pace for the last km, not by a huge amount though, just enough to get me breathing heavily and to get the old ticker working
    macinalli wrote: »
    Your plan for extra miles makes sense. For your first marathon you can get away without speed work, but you can't get away with doing low miles.

Annes point above about the pace of your runs is also right though. Be careful not to go too hard on the faster runs - the combination of fast runs with long miles can often lead to injuries if you're not used to marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Trampas|4 | 28.35km |423.77 km | Easier week last week due to 20km run on the Saturday
    Runchick | 4| 26.8 miles| not sure | Longest LSR to date 14.4 miles, looking forward to my first HM next week!

Hope this works!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Runchick | 4| 26.8 miles| not sure | Longest LSR to date 14.4 miles, looking forward to my first HM next week!
    dazza21ie| 4| 19.16 miles |320.07 miles|Last week was first week of HH Novice 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Crap run this morning!!! 4 lead legged miles, ugh. Hard and not enjoyable, made me question this whole journey...some days are hard I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

17 of ye is a fair number and i'm sure there is a few lurkers too so good hunting to all.

Ye need to start meeting up for lsrs in the Park folks for those around Dublin. Twill help no end in the training to have the company on the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

zooming wrote: »
    Crap run this morning!!! 4 lead legged miles, ugh. Hard and not enjoyable, made me question this whole journey...some days are hard I guess

I don't think there is anyone reading this thread that hasn't felt the same at some stage. It will make the feeling of successfully completing the marathon all the more sweeter.

On a day like that just slow down a bit (I know you already feel slow but just sit back a bit more) even if you walk a bit. Theres no shame in having an off day whilst out there. The most important part is you are out there training for an event only 1% of the world will ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Back at it now after a sun holiday last week (although I did head out for a few miles twice in the sun) 4 miles yesterday, three miles this morning, feeling good, bring it on!!! Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ran the 8k/5 miles last night in a new PR of 41 mins (about 4 mins better than my previous best!). very happy with that, but pretty surprised at it too, since most of my training runs are at a pace of about 2 mins/mile slower than that. just shows how the longer runs and consistent training have helped my improvment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

fair play gettign some in under the sun! its the hardest thing to motivate yourself for, imo. especially when lying in the sun for an hours with a book is sooooo appealing.

• Advertisement

Folan, when you explain the programme it sounds like that plan does all the work for you regarding paces...its the same as me putting in my time into the calculator.
    Im not critising the plan just giving advice, but no i see more detaild on it, seem grand. enjoy the training

Well done on the race last night...you aerobic base is improving so you can run faster as a result..so the training is working!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Q. How do i add my name to this box thing? <<< Stupidy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dazza21ie| 4| 19.16 miles |320.07 miles|Last week was first week of HH Novice 2 for me.
    zooming| runs| miles | total so far | comments
    yournamehere| runs| miles | total so far | comments

quote this message, edit your line on the table, remove the quote tags from around the table

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

zooming| runs| miles | total so far | comments
    sassyj| 4| 14 | ? | Looking forward to marathon training :)

Younganne wrote: »
    Folan, when you explain the programme it sounds like that plan does all the work for you regarding paces...its the same as me putting in my time into the calculator.
    Im not critising the plan just giving advice, but no i see more detaild on it, seem grand. enjoy the training

I assume you meant me rather than Folan here Anne. I didn't take your post as criticism and appreciate the advice that you and others give on here, after all it is why most of us are on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Did the dockands run last night 8km, 5.16 miles on my Garmin.

Tried a pace of 8m45sec miles but slipped back about 1 min 10 in the middle of run. Really pushed toward the end, I think my last mile was 7mins 48sec which is mental for me.
    Forgot my Garmin today to upload run. Overall time was 45mins 10 sec
    Have to try and work on evening out my pace, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Anyone from Limerick on here fancy doing the LSRs at the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

chinguetti wrote: »
    17 of ye is a fair number and i'm sure there is a few lurkers too so good hunting to all.

Ye need to start meeting up for lsrs in the Park folks for those around Dublin. Twill help no end in the training to have the company on the runs.

I'm in Donegal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

chinguetti wrote: »

I will be around after 12 noon on Sunday and until 8ish if anyone fancies an LSR up in the Phoenix park or better still down in the Albert College park Ballymun road. Im not an early riser so the orgnaised thread for weekend LSR's dont suit me. My pace is around 10-10.30 mins per mile and i'm looking to do at least 7 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Hello all,

Last night I completed an 8km race and finished it within 40mins. This is my first race in preparation of the Dublin marathon this year.

I did this race as a benchmark to see how I was fitness wise and how to estimate my target time for the Dublin Marathon.

Base on this is there a website link or any advice on my training and target time for the Dublin marathon. Originally I was going for a sub 4hr marathon but based on my race last night I was thinking of adjusting this target...

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement