Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

zooming wrote: »
    Remember the Fr Ted episode where Dick Byrne got all his scrabble tiles to read STUPID PRIEST CANT SAY MASS, well my scrabble tiles would read STUPID FATTY CANT RUN LEAD LEGS.
    Im feeling a bit run down this week, going to take some berocca and not run till Sunday, supplement wise I take fish oils and a vitamin C every day, so maybe I need a boost? The only thing extra I had been taking was a glucosamine and chondroitin tablet as well as the oils and vit c but ran out this week, but thay are to help joints, I dont think this has any bearing on energy levels? Well Im away on holidays in a fortnight so maybe that will help!
    Feeling a bit sad about crap running

That sounds unforgiving getting up at 4.30 for a run, id be totally banjaxed too if that was me.
    What time do you get home from work at?
    I know I get home at 6.30 and I go for a nap for an hour before heading out for a run. Is this an option for you?
    Also speaking to a pharmacist, he said Berocca and all those vitamins in a tube are not effective on a regualr bases. They're only for immediate hits of energy. You'd be better off going on a multi vitamin or a probiotic tonic.
    ...if you cant go for a nap then if it was me, id make sure I have a good feed the evening before with plenty of carbs, protein etc and go out without eating as the mod said to get the extra hours sleep especially if its just for a short run.
    I wouldnt do this for an LSR though. I'm lucky enough that I dont seem to need time to digest bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks!!!
    I get up at 4.30am during the week to allow me to get coffee and a banana before by run at 5.30am, so I do tend to get a bit tired somedays, I work late during the week also! By the time evening comes Im wrecked!

Zooming, make sure you are getting enough sleep, if you're up at 4.30 am and working late you might just not be giving your body a chance to recharge the batteries....at the moment the miles aren't too long so there would be no problem running without food but as the miles increase you won't be able to keep up that schedule. Maybe try eating a bowl of porridge before bed, refuel before you sleep so to speak and that might help a bit....
    Rest is a very important part of the marathon plan...it gives your body a chance to recover and rest ready for the next run

I'll be posting the first training schedule Sunday evening. Starting my plan then too!!!:D
    Remember some of you might be moving days around so i will try and post the plan every Sunday evening in case anyone is starting Mondays!

By now I hope everyone has a decent pair of runners, and some proper running clothes. Running clothes don't have to be branded/expensive clothes. Most of my gear is the technical tops form races and Lidl/Aldi running tights, no chafting in them!! The Sales is a great time to pick up a few branded items if you want them, at a greatly reduced price!!

And remember, as you run longer distances you will have to take some steps to prevent chafing. Your clothes will rub against your skin, particularly where there's a seam, and around the nipples (for men);).
    Use Bodyglide (or vaseline, but it may be stain your clothes?) around the affected areas.
    Use plasters, micropore tape, or nipguards to prevent the dreading bleeding nipples. Tips

Sometimes clothes that are fine for a half hour jog can be a nightmare over a ten mile run. There are timess where i come home and dont even realise the clothes were rubbing until I got into the shower :eek:, so make sure to test run everything!!

Also for the ladies - now would be a good time to get some new sports bras if you don't already have a good one (also get fitted if you can, a very high percentage of women wear the wrong size). If anything rubs at all (seams, straps, fastening at the back etc), BodyGlide or Vaseline will save you some absolute misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

Younganne wrote: »
    And remember, as you run longer distances you will have to take some steps to prevent chafing. Your clothes will rub against your skin, particularly where there's a seam, and around the nipples (for men);).
    Use Bodyglide (or vaseline, but it may be stain your clothes?) around the affected areas.
    Use plasters, micropore tape, or nipguards to prevent the dreading bleeding nipples. Tips

I had some horrible issues with bleeding nipples and chaffing in general when I first started running longer distances. I found through trial and error that the best fix for me was to always wear a fairly tight base layer, both a top and shorts. The base layers don't seem to move while running and no more issues

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also for the ladies - now would be a good time to get some new sports bras if you don't already have a good one (also get fitted if you can, a very high percentage of women wear the wrong size). If anything rubs at all (seams, straps, fastening at the back etc), BodyGlide or Vaseline will save you some absolute misery.

Just +1'ing this, and strongly recommending Bramora in Earlsfort Terrace for fitting to anyone bigger than a C/D cup. Most women are wearing a band that's too big and a cup that's too small, and because of this aren't getting the proper support from the band and putting too much pressure on their shoulders. If you're going to be running for 2-4 hours at a time on a regular basis, that's a lot of extra strain on the body that you don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Younganne|2|13.35miles| 459.04miles| only 2 runs due to illness
    Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    Duzzie |4|26km| 372km| Recovery Week
    Miguelk |4|17.13miles|59.73miles| First Sub 24min for 5k in training
    Satanta |4|22.65 miles|Unknown. 192 logged in Endomondo|
    Rasher_m |4 |16 miles|?|Wasn't feeling great but got all runs in but lower LSR
    folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    brophya2007 |5|18 miles|18 miles|3 x 3miles, 1 x 4 miles, 1 x 5 miles|
    AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    Dave McMahon|4|19miles|87miles|2 x 3miles, 1 x 4mile. 9mile LSR
    ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    dmg1983 |4 | 13 miles|no idea| didn't get the 6 miles I was hoping to do on sunday so I'm doing it this evening!!
    Corny |5 |34 miles |371.42 this year|Difficult week but really happy where i'm at. Rest week next week:)
    Trampas|4 | 28.35km |423.77 km | Easier week last week due to 20km run on the Saturday
    Runchick | 4| 26.8 miles| not sure | Longest LSR to date 14.4 miles, looking forward to my first HM next week!
    dazza21ie| 4| 19.16 miles |320.07 miles|Last week was first week of HH Novice 2 for me.
    zooming| runs| miles | total so far | comments
    sassyj| 4| 14 | ? | Looking forward to marathon training :)
    tang1|4| 24.6miles | 427.22miles | happy with my training, getting some decent miles into my legs.
    NoelJ| 2| 9.14km | 89.47km| An easy week to get used to 3 runs and one long one
    elPadrino| 2| 13km | 589.06km|Looking forward to the challenge
    Sheba 121| 2| 12k| 86k| 6k run tonight.....could be warm out there.
    career_move| 2| 12| 226 miles since I started in April| Running the marathon in aid of the Oespphageal Cancer Fund. Mum started her treatment yesterday
    pansophelia| | | |insert comment here
    Mulberry|4 |21M |Hhmmm, since when? |Am trying to increase from 4 runs a week to 5 but normal life just keeps getting in the way! Frustrating.
    jprender| |||Starting next Tuesday ;)
    snowman224 |3 |18km |Not a clue |

Trampas wrote: »
    going to run the 5 miler this weekend but will be adding on a few extra miles with it

Trampas are you talking about the Dublin Race series? if you are, thats next weekend June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Remember the Fr Ted episode where Dick Byrne got all his scrabble tiles to read STUPID PRIEST CANT SAY MASS, well my scrabble tiles would read STUPID FATTY CANT RUN LEAD LEGS.
    Im feeling a bit run down this week, going to take some berocca and not run till Sunday, supplement wise I take fish oils and a vitamin C every day, so maybe I need a boost? The only thing extra I had been taking was a glucosamine and chondroitin tablet as well as the oils and vit c but ran out this week, but thay are to help joints, I dont think this has any bearing on energy levels? Well Im away on holidays in a fortnight so maybe that will help!

Zooming I feel exactly like that this week so you're definitely not the only one! I gave blood on Monday so thought I'd have to go gently this week, but it's been way tougher than I even expected. 3m on Tues - legs of lead & it was really hard. 5m on Wed - had to stop every half mile for the first 2 miles to stretch and rest :( Plodded on even slower than I had hoped & of course it only got a bit easier in my final mile! So I was glad I kept going! This morning's 3m was a fair bit slower than I usually aim for, but I got around comfortably.
    On the bad days, I just try to remember the good days :cool: and tell myself that by October I'll have had enough good days to carry me an easy breezy 26.2miles :D

Edit: I take Pharmaton regularly. It's quite expensive (unless you find buy-one-get-one-free offers, I buy it then even if I've plenty in stock) and quite strong on the stomach so you need to take it with a decent meal. But I think it's really good. And your hair & nails will also get very strong! Also last time I went to doc I got glucosamine capsules. She didn't know if they'd do me much good, but they can't do me any harm! I think it's making a difference for my joints being stronger on my LSRs already though.
    Just +1'ing this, and strongly recommending Bramora in Earlsfort Terrace for fitting to anyone bigger than a C/D cup. Most women are wearing a band that's too big and a cup that's too small, and because of this aren't getting the proper support from the band and putting too much pressure on their shoulders. If you're going to be running for 2-4 hours at a time on a regular basis, that's a lot of extra strain on the body that you don't need.

+1 again! Good sports bra is so important. It makes me sad to see women running around the park, swinging all over the place. They're only doing more damage than good & it's gotta hurt! :eek:
    I (smugly) wear D cup Lulu Lemon Tata Tamers and they are the business! Bought 4 in different colours when I was in New York last year & I'll never go back to any other brand (I've tried Nike, Shock Absorber, Champion etc). They're pricey enough, but if I was going to be near a Lulu shop again, I'd invest in another 4 or 5. There's NO bounce. At all. Mine are getting plenty of wear, wash well, keep their shape & still nice bright colours & smooth material. Since I'm unlikely to have the cash to be in the USA any time soon, I might have to buy online. Probably safer, as any time I went into a Lulu store, I ended up spending investing hundreds of dollars in lovely new sports gear :P [I do not work for Lulu Lemon!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

It might be worth getting your bloods checked to make sure your not anaemic. There's no iron much in berocca either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I (smugly) wear D cup Lulu Lemon Tata Tamers
    I find it mildly ironic that they give it that name and then stop at a DD cup :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Trampas are you talking about the Dublin Race series? if you are, thats next weekend June 30th.

I am going to run the course this weekend in prep for net weekend.

I find it mildly ironic that they give it that name and then stop at a DD cup :pac:

I know what you mean...they cant tame my HH cups:D

Ha! Well if you saw the rest of the slinky gear in there... you probably don't see many folks above a DD cup wasting their time in there! :rolleyes:

But if you're up to a DD cup, I give them the thumbs up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Shortie_Chik|3|16.5miles|98.1miles|Only did 3 of 4 planned sessions last week (dammit I've been so good for the previous 6 weeks!) 98 miles is the distance I've done since I signed up for DCM 7 weeks ago.
    folan | 3 | 13.5 miles | 395miles | took it easy. going to try to break 5mile pb tonight
    AlanM|5|45KM|679KM|Last few weeks gone really well, really motivated at the moment!
    Pageant Messiah |4 |35 km |210 km logged since April | First ever 10 mile (16km) run this week.
    ncmc |4 |24.3 miles | 346 miles| A tough 11 miles on Sunday, very hot and sunny, but felt pretty good after it! Haven't missed a run since start of May now
    dmg1983 |4 | 13 miles|no idea| didn't get the 6 miles I was hoping to do on sunday so I'm doing it this evening!!
    Corny |5 |34 miles |371.42 this year|Difficult week but really happy where i'm at. Rest week next week:)
    Trampas|4 | 28.35km |423.77 km | Easier week last week due to 20km run on the Saturday
    Runchick | 4| 26.8 miles| not sure | Longest LSR to date 14.4 miles, looking forward to my first HM next week!
    dazza21ie| 4| 19.16 miles |320.07 miles|Last week was first week of HH Novice 2 for me.
    tang1|4| 24.6miles | 427.22miles | happy with my training, getting some decent miles into my legs.
    career_move| 2| 12| 226 miles since I started in April| Running the marathon in aid of the Oespphageal Cancer Fund. Mum started her treatment yesterday
    Mulberry|4 |21M |Hhmmm, since when? |Am trying to increase from 4 runs a week to 5 but normal life just keeps getting in the way! Frustrating.
    Martin_ie2012|3|15miles|39.5 miles since I started logging 3 weeks ago|Counting the days until the plan starts, itching to get going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMauer

MissMauer|3|9 miles| |Week 1 on HH1 - due for the 6 miler on Sat morning|

Line added?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMauer

Grand it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

3 miles tonight, felt great when running, took it slow and im beginning to feel the benefits of running a slow pace. Perfect weather. Starting plan on Monday (day of rest):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

4 miler this evening.

never sweated so much.

sorry that should have been never ran in a monsoon.

I ran this morning in the lashing rain to get it done before OH went to work...and then it was a lovely dry day from 3pm here in the North East....Typical:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I ran this morning in the lashing rain to get it done before OH went to work...and then it was a lovely dry day from 3pm here in the North East....Typical:rolleyes:

Fair play Anne, leading by example!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

Up early for a 6k run.....off to the Burren for the weekend to support some cycling friends. Hopefully back early on Sunday for another run before rest day Monday. Hope the weather keeps good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

pansophelia| 3| 11m| 415m|On W3 Novice 2, quite like running in the rain!
    MissMauer|3|9 miles| |Week 1 on HH1 - due for the 6 miler on Sat morning|

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

6 miles in LASHING rain last night, could wring the water out of my socks when I was done! I figured it could be raining marathon day in October so it's all training, planning 7 miles LSR on Sunday to hit 20 miles for the week for the first time! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Do we each update it at the end our running week or whats the plan?

Thread could be hard to get through if we update it any more often than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Younganne will be posting a training schedule at the beginning of every week, and you'd usually start a new table at the end of each week to show how you got on that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Would it be an idea for the total miles just to be the miles you have logged as part of your marathon training plan. So everyone starts from scratch at the start of their plan on Monday?

Might make it easier to give advise or guidance to people based on the mileage they have clocked up for their specific marathon training.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Would it be an idea for the total miles just to be the miles you have logged as part of your marathon training plan. So everyone starts from scratch at the start of their plan on Monday?

Might make it easier to give advise or guidance to people based on the mileage they have clocked up for their specific marathon training.

Good suggestion

5m race number arrived in the post today! Keep an eye out for #471 zooming past! :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Fair play Anne, leading by example!:)

:o it won't be a regular occurence!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

In work until 9pm and back in tomorrow morning - missed my run this morning due to an unexpectedly early call into work too.

Faced with a run tonight at 10pm or get up early and have one before work tomorrow.

Gotta be honest - don't fancy either at the moment but the run will be done. Can't be wimping out now !

Advertisement