Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Gotta be honest - don't fancy either at the moment but the run will be done. Can't be wimping out now !

That's the attitude! There are always excuses to skip on training - work, weather, tired, couldn't be arsed. Most of the time it's all in your head and you'll feel better for it once you've the gear on and out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just signed up for the midlands half marathon in Portlaoise August 12th:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just signed up for the midlands half marathon in Portlaoise August 12th:D

It's a nice little race but very hilly.
    I'm organising the pacers for the race (1:40, 1:50 and 2hrs), they'll all be boardsies from these logs so we hope we can help you achieve your goal :D.

Cool. I quite like hills....i just plod away up them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just wanted to add this. Its a general 10 tips when starting out style piece on a new race from Mark Keneally (Our only male Marathon runner at this years Olympics). Most of them are pretty obvious though there are one or two points which alot of people over look:
    10 tips to get (and keep) you running:

Have a goal! Whether it is a 5k race/10k race or simply getting up to running a specific distance you’ll make things a lot easier for yourself if you have a finish line in sight!

Make sure you have the appropriate equipment/footwear. Nothing more likely to cause injury/discomfort than this. There are a number of running specialty shops around so any one of these will help you to find appropriate shoes and clothes for you.

Try training with other people/clubs. This can be a great way to improve your enjoyment of running, as well as acting as a way of trying to improve by testing yourself against other people. Many clubs now cater for all category of runner, from beginner to competitive.

Mix your running surfaces. Too much running on one surface can lead to repetitive strain injuries so where possible vary between road/grass/trail/path/treadmill.

Stay well hydrated, and eat plenty of carbs around training time to allow best recovery. Other than this your diet should be sensible! It doesn’t need to be very strict but obviously the poorer it is the worse you recover and perform!

Try some interval/fartlek/hill training. You’ll see much better improvements in how fast you run if you mix up your paces. If you always run at the same speed you’re just training yourself to run at that speed. You can try simple intervals like 1 minute hard/1 minute easy to start with and make them more difficult as you get the hang of them.

Supplementary training such as weights/circuits/pilates can be great for injury prevention and can help running itself. Try to incorporate such activities into your weekly schedule. It might be as simple as 15 minutes of Pilates/core type exercises straight after a run or a more structured program if you have the time.

If you have pain running and you’re unsure about why, STOP! Go see your GP or Physiotherapist, find out why you have a problem and then deal with it. Many running related pains are easily dealt with, but some, if left untreated, can become chronic problems.

Try making running a part of your work day. Many people use lack of time as an excuse not to run, but it may be possible for you to run into or out of work, or to run at our lunchtime. This allows you most efficient use of your time.

Finally, enjoy your running! Every session you do doesn’t have to be better than the last one. Schedule easy runs for yourself where you don’t worry about pace and just enjoy a nice easy trot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from a LSR of 10.1 miles. I usually do these on Saturday morning but did this one early in preparation for a HM next Friday evening, so wanted to get used to running at this time. Now, I'm after a bit of advice from any experienced half marathoners...what should I eat next Friday for a 6.30pm race? The chicken burger and chips at 5.30pm tonight gave me a stitch for the first 4 miles, oops, making me think I'd better give some thought to decent fuel next week - so should it be pasta for lunch and a banana/energy bars an hour or 2 before the race? Also what should I consume during the race - I did 10.1 tonight with nothing during the run but am guessing I'll need to take something on race night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

In work until 9pm and back in tomorrow morning - missed my run this morning due to an unexpectedly early call into work too.

Faced with a run tonight at 10pm or get up early and have one before work tomorrow.

Gotta be honest - don't fancy either at the moment but the run will be done. Can't be wimping out now !
    macinalli wrote: »
    That's the attitude! There are always excuses to skip on training - work, weather, tired, couldn't be arsed. Most of the time it's all in your head and you'll feel better for it once you've the gear on and out the door.

Just back in from a 7K in a semi respectable ;) 46:29 - got out of work slightly early.

I love this thread.

I dropped that post in earlier because I knew that by doing that I would simply have to run - no excuses. Imagine the shame of posting here that I hadn't followed through when everyone else is getting out there and doing it. :pac: I genuinely would have been tempted to skip this run only for the motivation that this thread / group brings to the table. Thank you to everyone contributing. :)

Runchick wrote: »
    Just back from a LSR of 10.1 miles. I usually do these on Saturday morning but did this one early in preparation for a HM next Friday evening, so wanted to get used to running at this time. Now, I'm after a bit of advice from any experienced half marathoners...what should I eat next Friday for a 6.30pm race? The chicken burger and chips at 5.30pm tonight gave me a stitch for the first 4 miles, oops, making me think I'd better give some thought to decent fuel next week - so should it be pasta for lunch and a banana/energy bars an hour or 2 before the race? Also what should I consume during the race - I did 10.1 tonight with nothing during the run but am guessing I'll need to take something on race night?

The general advice that I give to my athletes in week coming up to Half marathon/ Marathon is as follows:

Dont stray too far from your normal foods (no point in experimenting now). What i would say is between now and Tuesday/Wednesday maybe increase your protein in proportion to your other food groups (rather than gorging food and eating extra). After this try to cut down on the red meats etc stick to chicken/ fish and carbs. This is just to prevent digestive problems on the day as it take few days to properly digest red meats.

In terms of eating before a race I wouldn't have a heavy meal up to 2 and a half hours before warm up. A small bar/banana an hour before is about the limit I would stick to. Chicken burger and chips not exactly the greatest I would stick to brown rice/pasta with chicken/fish as a decent source of food

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Hi All

I'm taking up youngannes invite to join the novice thread, just started logging yesterday to help motivate me to my first attempt at a marathon DCM 2012.

Great thread, with great advice from a lot of motivated people, long may that continue.

Super post from Ecoli earlier with Mark Keneallys tips, all common sense stuff that us noobs tend to overlook.

Looking forward to this journey and hopefully we can all achieve what we are aiming for.

Wowzer

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Got my number last night too, exciting stuff getting your number and instructions (and safety pins) for your first ever race! Keep an eye out for 480.

Got my LSR in this morning, 8 miles, that completes my 19 miles of wk1 of hhn2. Starting a week early as a cushion for the unforeseen.

51 pages and we haven't even started out 18 weeks proper, shows the eagerness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just back from an interrupted 16km LSR. About 9km in, a car driver decided to try to rid the world of one of those pesky bikers and proceeded to pull out on him leaving as 200m long gsxr debris trail down the road, hitting a trike rider coming the other way as it went. The trike rider was very lucky as the bike hit the trike, only missing him by inches. The bike rider was also very lucky that the bike hit the car rather than him and that he didnt hit anything as he slid down the road, seems he has been very lucky and has survived a major crash. Called the guards and Ambulance and waited for them to arrive, gave my details then went on my merry way.

So i guess I did 2 LSRs today, a 9m and a 7km. I hope all my LSRs are not this eventfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ecoli wrote: »

The general advice that I give to my athletes in week coming up to Half marathon/ Marathon is as follows:

Dont stray too far from your normal foods (no point in experimenting now). What i would say is between now and Tuesday/Wednesday maybe increase your protein in proportion to your other food groups (rather than gorging food and eating extra). After this try to cut down on the red meats etc stick to chicken/ fish and carbs. This is just to prevent digestive problems on the day as it take few days to properly digest red meats.

In terms of eating before a race I wouldn't have a heavy meal up to 2 and a half hours before warm up. A small bar/banana an hour before is about the limit I would stick to. Chicken burger and chips not exactly the greatest I would stick to brown rice/pasta with chicken/fish as a decent source of food

Best of luck[/Quote]

Thanks ecoli some great advice there! I am finding that I'm losing quite a lot of weight with all the training recently, I'm up to more than 25 miles per week and I eat 3 meals, healthy snacks, and supper every day but am finding that my clothes are getting looser and looser, also friends are commenting on this. Now I started running to lose baby weight so am not complaining really, but I'm just wondering if it is normal to drop the pounds a lot when marathon training? I just hope I'm eating enough to fuel the increased training but can't see how I could fit any more food in to my day! Does anyone know if there is any advice out there on calories to consume, or something to use as a guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Running the 10k out in Dunshaughlin tonight. It'll be my first run in about 3 weeks as I am trying to rest my knee that was giving me a bit of hassle.

Hoping it goes alright and that I'll be fighting fit to start marathon training next week. It'd be nice to get a decent time too, but I'd settle for not getting injured !

Many others out there tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

week over

This weeks figures give or take a hundred yards or 2 either side
    6-8-6-20

Did 20 in phoenix park today and you could tell marathon training was starting since loads of people wearing race series and marathon tops

wowzer wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm taking up youngannes invite to join the novice thread, just started logging yesterday to help motivate me to my first attempt at a marathon DCM 2012.

Great thread, with great advice from a lot of motivated people, long may that continue.

Super post from Ecoli earlier with Mark Keneallys tips, all common sense stuff that us noobs tend to overlook.

Looking forward to this journey and hopefully we can all achieve what we are aiming for.

Wowzer
    Its taken me this long to figure out what 'noobs' was:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

jprender wrote: »
    , but I'd settle for not getting injured !

Strained calf muscle after 2.5k. :(

Furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Furious.

Sorry to hear that, serious?

I had my second run this week in lashing rain today. The wet socks were causing me grief. Now I know what chafing is! Anyone got a recommendation for socks suitable for wet conditions, given the forecast is rain and more rain. thanks Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Deedee2012 wrote: »

I had my second run this week in lashing rain today. The wet socks were causing me grief. Now I know what chafing is! Anyone got a recommendation for socks suitable for wet conditions, given the forecast is rain and more rain. thanks Dee

what socks do you currently use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Furious.

Sorry to hear it JP. If its any consolation i find muscle strains, calf in particular, somewhat manageable with good treatment. Keep your knee out of trouble.;)

Ran 45.40ish in the same race. Very happy with that. Puts in me good humour for the start of my plan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Hi all,

I know i'm late joining up, but thought if i posted it would give me more motivation. My stats are below, i'm running around three years now but am a very slow runner still deciding which to do the novice 1 or 2 programme?

[*]Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    2 10k's best 56 min
    2 half marathons best 2hrs 6mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No, rather not stop as find it hard to get going again

[*]How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    jogging only.approx 3 times a week. 2 during the week around 8k and then a longer one the w-end prob around 12ish k

[*]What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    just want to say i did a marathon

[*]How many days a week can you train?
    4 at a push

[*]Why are you running this marathon?
    life long goal
    :)

My last run was on tuesday a 10k -havent had a chance to do anything else this week- will i be ok to start the programme on monday(rest day):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

Hi
    Started training for my first marathon.Normally use endomondo for my runs seems grand. But im heading off to Malaysia for two months in the summer so I need to keep the training up. Can't afford to use endomondo on iPhone as internet bill will be massive then. Are there any alternatives for tracking my runs? Don't really want to spend money on a garmin. I bought a reebok pedometer but not sure how accurate that is going to be. Always seems a little off. Is the nike plus an option? Does it need Internet? Any suggestions? Really addicted to tracking my runs/ training!!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

tony stark wrote: »
    Hi
    Started training for my first marathon.Normally use endomondo for my runs seems grand. But im heading off to Malaysia for two months in the summer so I need to keep the training up. Can't afford to use endomondo on iPhone as internet bill will be massive then. Are there any alternatives for tracking my runs? Don't really want to spend money on a garmin. I bought a reebok pedometer but not sure how accurate that is going to be. Always seems a little off. Is the nike plus an option? Does it need Internet? Any suggestions? Really addicted to tracking my runs/ training!!! Thanks

The Garmin Forerunner is relatively cheap on Amazon.co.uk at the moment, it will last you several years and is an invaluable tool for your marathon training.

15k run this morning. Feeling good. Looking forward to next week

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Trampas wrote: »
    Deedee2012 wrote: »

what socks do you currently use?

Random "running socks" picked up god knows where, definitely need to spend a few bob, no point having expensive runners and cheapo socks!

Runchick wrote: »
    Thanks ecoli some great advice there! I am finding that I'm losing quite a lot of weight with all the training recently, I'm up to more than 25 miles per week and I eat 3 meals, healthy snacks, and supper every day but am finding that my clothes are getting looser and looser, also friends are commenting on this. Now I started running to lose baby weight so am not complaining really, but I'm just wondering if it is normal to drop the pounds a lot when marathon training? I just hope I'm eating enough to fuel the increased training but can't see how I could fit any more food in to my day! Does anyone know if there is any advice out there on calories to consume, or something to use as a guide?

I think its normal when the mileage increase becomes significant any excess weight will start to come off. Each persons body "race weight" is individual and this could be just a case that you are getting back to your ideal weight (as you have said shedding the baby weight). Once your body startes to get back down to its ideal weight it will level off.

To give you some sort of comparison I had been running for years and my weight never really fluctuated yet last year I went under a new coach which saw a fairly big increase in mileage as well as an improved diet (still ate same amounts just better quality of food). The result was losing half a stone ( When fit now I am just above 9 stone so its a significant amount in relation to my size)

I wouldnt get too carried away with counting calories the main thing you should aim to do is high quality foods and enough to make sure you are fueling your body to the point where you can sustain the training (no ongoing fatigue or tiredness) make sure you are getting enough minerals and vitamins in as well (hopefully through your food but if needed suppliments can be used additionally to a balanced diet not as a substitute) You dont have to eat X amount as this is nothing more than gorging for the sake of it.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A little motivational pic for everyone kicking off their training:
    282945_411863418856532_1091476793_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Ran the strawberry HM today. Thought it was a great success. Well organised and really enjoyed it.

The 1:45 pacers were really excellent. They really looked after us from start to finish...a class act all round.

I had a couple of warning lights come on with about 2 miles to go but finished with a pb of just over 1:44 i think it was, 5 minutes off my wexford HM time:).

Definitely could not have done it without the pacers...cheers guys.

Time to really push the miles up now. Eyes firmly fixed on DCM.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Ran the strawberry HM today. Thought it was a great success. Well organised and really enjoyed it.

The 1:45 pacers were really excellent. They really looked after us from start to finish...a class act all round.

I had a couple of warning lights come on with about 2 miles to go but finished with a pb of just over 1:44 i think it was, 5 minutes off my wexford HM time:).

Definitely could not have done it without the pacers...cheers guys.

Time to really push the miles up now. Eyes firmly fixed on DCM.

Thanks upthe19th. That was myself and Marathstew which one were you? The black top with the stripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

That was me. Sorry i never introduced myself. I knew it was Martha stew alright cos she said it to me. Thanks a million for today man. Ye were brilliant. Solid advice all the way through from you. Getting me under 1:45 would be no mean feat.

• Advertisement

upthe19th wrote: »
    That was me. Sorry i never introduced myself. I knew it was Martha stew alright cos she said it to me. Thanks a million for today man. Ye were brilliant. Solid advice all the way through from you. Getting me under 1:45 would be no mean feat.

Well done, you looked very comfortable for the most part and it was a tough little route. You would take a good few minutes off that time on an easier course.

Advertisement