Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

snowman224 wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 5miler on saturday too.
    Should I go for a decent time, or should I air on the side of caution and just get the run done.
    Have done a few 10km's over recent weeks so the distance is not a challenge.

Its a race so you should race it to see how your fitness is at the minute and then you can use your time to check out your pace for your training and these can be changed with each race you do!
    rasher_m wrote: »
    I suppose what I'm wondering is; should we train as per normal during the week...i.e; 3x3x3 before Saturday. I'm thinking of running just tuesday and wednesday.

Train as normal, remember the thursday run is an easy run so it will be good to get the blood moving in your legs. Leave out the strides on wednesday if you want but do the 3x3 runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hi There,

I would like to join in. Is it still ok to join now?

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Yes
    5k 24.39 5k series 2009
    5 mile 39m RTE BHAA race 2004
    10k 48min Womens mini marathon 2003
    Half marathon 2.20 Dublin 2009
    Marathon 4.48 Connemara Marathon 2004

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Yes, If it's a long run

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I run 4 times a week. Varying distances of 3-6 miles.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I would love to complete the Dublin marathon in 4.30. That was my aim back in 2004 but i got injured and ended up running Connemara instead. It has taken me this long to drim up the courage to attempt another marathon.

How many days a week can you train? 5
    Why are you running this marathon?
    As above. I want to wipe the bad memories of Connemara marathon back in 2004 from memory and hopefully replace with good memories.

you're very welcome...heres this week plan - Week 1

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi everyone

I would appreciate if any of you could offer any advice about soreness in the lower leg when running. I know “shin splints” is a catch all term that is used but I am not sure it applies for me.
    What I find is that the muscle to the right of the shin bone i.e on the outside (on both legs) can be very hard and tender during and after a run but eases with stretching. This can cause discomfort bordering on pain especially if I try to run at a harder pace. I was able to train through this when training for a recent 10k and it definitely got easier but distances were a lot less and there was more time for recovery between runs.
    I am hoping muscles will strengthen with training and this soreness will eventually ease. At the moment I feel I would have the “cardio” fitness to start the training plan but it is frustrating to have to deal with discomfort/soreness as well.

I use Asics gel nimbus runners which are neutral well cushioned runner. At recent gait analysis at elverys I was told that I was neutral in one leg and slightly overpronating in the other so maybe a change of runners would help. I have done 2x3mile run back to back over the last two weeks with some little problems, nothing major but I am not sure if it how it will fare now when the 4 runs a week and high mileage kicks in.

I would be interested to hear if anyone had similar issues and how they overcome them. I will give the training programme a go and see how I get on but maybe I will have to stick to cycling and 10 k runs.

Anyway good luck to everyone with the training, great to see the plan up and running (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Not really sure what to do for training this week. I train with a club Tues and Thursday's this is 3-5 miles each approx and is hard (hills, speed intervals, fartlek etc) So I've this and the 5 mile on Sat. I think Wed also before the race could be too much and was thinking maybe skip Wed and do a very slow recovery LSR Sunday maybe 6 miles. I know I could run shorter/ easier instead of club training but I hate to miss it so would rather include it. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Also it's my first real race ( very exciting) and as such I've no idea how to pace it as I really have no idea what pace I can maintain for 5 miles. My LSR comfortable pace is 10.30 mins per mile, I did 7 hilly miles in the lashing rain/wind at this pace happily at the weekend. Is try 10 min/mile for the first half sensible and see from there?
    Another question I never feel properly warmed up until 2-3 miles into a run, is doing a couple of miles warm up too much for a 5 mile, is that expending too much energy?
    How do people normally get themselves to a busy Phoenix park race? Park in town and jog up? Is the Luas jammed on race days etc.

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks Dee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

What are people doing as their Cross? That's what I gotta figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I would appreciate if any of you could offer any advice about soreness in the lower leg when running. I know “shin splints” is a catch all term that is used but I am not sure it applies for me.
    What I find is that the muscle to the right of the shin bone i.e on the outside (on both legs) can be very hard and tender during and after a run but eases with stretching. This can cause discomfort bordering on pain especially if I try to run at a harder pace. I was able to train through this when training for a recent 10k and it definitely got easier but distances were a lot less and there was more time for recovery between runs.
    I am hoping muscles will strengthen with training and this soreness will eventually ease. At the moment I feel I would have the “cardio” fitness to start the training plan but it is frustrating to have to deal with discomfort/soreness as well.

I use Asics gel nimbus runners which are neutral well cushioned runner. At recent gait analysis at elverys I was told that I was neutral in one leg and slightly overpronating in the other so maybe a change of runners would help. I have done 2x3mile run back to back over the last two weeks with some little problems, nothing major but I am not sure if it how it will fare now when the 4 runs a week and high mileage kicks in.

I would be interested to hear if anyone had similar issues and how they overcome them. I will give the training programme a go and see how I get on but maybe I will have to stick to cycling and 10 k runs.

Anyway good luck to everyone with the training, great to see the plan up and running (no pun intended)

I would go elsewhere for a second opinion on your gait.

If you're around Dublin I would recommend Base2Race in Ballymount, Amphibian King in Bray or Runways in Parnell St. I had a pair of runners before and the forefoot area was too roomy, causing pain in both shins (if you raise your toes you'll feel a pull on the shin muscle, that was my issue and resolved with a better fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am going to run my normal 3 sessions during the week but might take it a little easier on speed than normal.

I hope to have a good go on Saturday to get around 41-42 mins.

Really depends on room at the start.

Might have a small recovery run on Sunday also just to stretch the legs after Saturday.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I would go elsewhere for a second opinion on your gait.

If you're around Dublin I would recommend Base2Race in Ballymount, Amphibian King in Bray or Runways in Parnell St. I had a pair of runners before and the forefoot area was too roomy, causing pain in both shins (if you raise your toes you'll feel a pull on the shin muscle, that was my issue and resolved with a better fit).

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking about getting a more professional gait analysis done but wasn't sure where to go. I am living in Donegal so Dublin is not that convenient. I wonder is there anywhere in derry or belfast would do that sort of analysis, or indeed in Galway - i will be there over the summer. If not a trip to dublin will have to be arranged, thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a branch of AK in Oranmore in Galway, you're in luck there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Hi all

I haven't been following this thread and probably won't have the time to sign up and be a regular contributor but hope it's ok to ask some of the seasoned marathon runners a couple of questions.

I have completed a few 1/2 marathons over the last couple of years with a best time of 2 hours 1 min a couple of months ago. I'm now going to try and complete a marathon and decided to follow HH Novice 2 for Dublin and see how it goes. My aim would be to complete somewhere between 4 hrs 15 mins and 4 hrs 30 mins. My question is what pace should I be doing for each training run. I had in my head something along the lines of:

Tuesday easy 9.30 - 9.45 min/mile
    Wednesday pace 9.15 - 9.30 m/m
    Thursday easy 9.45 - 10.00 m/m
    Saturday LSR 10.30 - 10.45 m/m

Does this sound reasonable or am I completely off the mark?

There's a branch of AK in Oranmore in Galway, you're in luck there :)

Dead on thanks for that. I will be in galway some time in the next few weeks so will give them a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

NoelJ wrote: »

Im doing a long fast walk about an hour long. Im used to walking and it lead me on to the jogging/running. So I still keep it up. I also incorporate a spinning class into the weekly training plan.

Weetabix wrote: »
    Hi all

I haven't been following this thread and probably won't have the time to sign up and be a regular contributor but hope it's ok to ask some of the seasoned marathon runners a couple of questions.

I have completed a few 1/2 marathons over the last couple of years with a best time of 2 hours 1 min a couple of months ago. I'm now going to try and complete a marathon and decided to follow HH Novice 2 for Dublin and see how it goes. My aim would be to complete somewhere between 4 hrs 15 mins and 4 hrs 30 mins. My question is what pace should I be doing for each training run. I had in my head something along the lines of:

Tuesday easy 9.30 - 9.45 min/mile
    Wednesday pace 9.15 - 9.30 m/m
    Thursday easy 9.45 - 10.00 m/m
    Saturday LSR 10.30 - 10.45 m/m

Does this sound reasonable or am I completely off the mark?

Your LSR is a bit slow for me, I would be running those at 10/10:15 min miles.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

1st run completed this morning on training plan.

So I am officially under way.

On a side note are we suppose to fill out the table for last weeks days?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Im back!!!
    Had a wee virus last week, hence the tired lead legs. Im taking vivioptal supplement and some EFA oils and vitamin C. I felt cat!! Tried to run on Sunday, but could only get a mile and a half before quitting and walking home. Did nothing since then and am feeling much much better, sometimes out bodies tell us!!! Went out for a slow jog to see how I felt this morning and Im grand, need to be Im off to LA next Saturday for a fortnight.
    Did you miss me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

zooming wrote: »
    Im back!!!
    Had a wee virus last week, hence the tired lead legs. Im taking vivioptal supplement and some EFA oils and vitamin C. I felt cat!! Tried to run on Sunday, but could only get a mile and a half before quitting and walking home. Did nothing since then and am feeling much much better, sometimes out bodies tell us!!! Went out for a slow jog to see how I felt this morning and Im grand, need to be Im off to LA next Saturday for a fortnight.
    Did you miss me

I’m glad to hear there was a reason for the lethargy, it sounded like you were worried about it. But you’re right, sometimes our bodies tell us to rest and we need to listen!

LA for two weeks, how fantastic! Whereabouts are you going? You will be amazed by the amount of people you will see jogging, cycling, roller blading etc, even in the full heat of the day. The locals are so active out there, it’s very different from other parts of the States in that way ;). Are you going to continue with the program out there? You will feel guilty seeing all those fit, toned bodies out there if you don’t :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just thought I'd post a heads up on this for those travelling to the marathon and also for those based in Dublin that might benefit from it. I was checking around hotels in the city centre toying with the idea of having a hotel / room base near the start / finish.

The way I saw it was it would be great to be already in town on the morning of the race to save travel time, would be good for the family to have a warm base to return to after seeing me off and whilst waiting many many hours for my slow poke self to get back ;), and also have the option of a nice hot shower soon after the finish. That would need a 2 night stay somewhere which would be a bit expensive. I did however find the maldron hotel cardiffslane. It's 1-1.5km from the start and finish areas, (ideal warm up territory) should be quiet enough sleeping wise on Sunday night given the location and for €20 you can get a late check out which allows you to stay until 4.00pm. So we're booked into a family room that will accomadate us all on the Sunday night, they have a base to head back to and I will have a room for a shower after the marathon. Worked out at €129 which I think will be well worth it. We've a provisional booking made that can be changed / cancelled at any time so if there is better options out there we're not committed. (I did see some cheaper one night options in badly reviewed hotels / hostels but the late checkout for this hotel (4 star advertised but some minor grumbles online I'm treating it as a good 3 star) seems like a win.

It might suit some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Two things on hotel bookings - the early breakfast is important and you don't need to shower before going to the pub.

The procedure is to limp round town with the medal, getting loads of 'well done', finding a chair in a pub and not leaving it for hours until you have to go to toilet. By then, you've seized up and everyone has a good laugh as you scream in pain. Repeat a few times for everyone's pleasure.:D

So, on with yer runners and training plans and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    T
    The procedure is to limp round town with the medal, getting loads of 'well done', finding a chair in a pub and not leaving it for hours until you have to go to toilet. By then, you've seized up and everyone has a good laugh as you scream in pain. Repeat a few times for everyone's pleasure.:D

We must find a pub with an upstairs toilet this year :D

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Two things on hotel bookings - the early breakfast is important and you don't need to shower before going to the pub.

So, on with yer runners and training plans and good luck.

Don't be laughing, this is nearer the truth that you realise.....don't forget sitting in wet socks and runners, if it's raining, as you can't bend you legs enough to take them off....and girls, trying to go to the loo...its a mans world........but don't be telling anyone about that..we don't want to scare them away on Week 1;)

menoscemo wrote: »

Memo, thats a great idea:eek::eek: sadist

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »

After trying to get up the stairs to the ladies in the George Payne in Barcelona with a messed up ITB and post-marathon legs, I can verify that this would be cruel and unusual punishment.

After trying to get up the stairs to the ladies in the George Payne in Barcelona with a messed up ITB and post-marathon legs, I can verify that this would be cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm with RK, upstairs toilet it is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Hi there - hope I'm not too late to join in the fun.......

My details are below:
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Yes
    5 mile 42m56 2011 Race Series
    10k 52m03 Womens mini marathon 2011
    10 mile 1h27 2011 Race Series
    Half marathon 2h01 2011 Race Series

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No, not usually

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Usuallly about 4 times a week. Varying distances of 5 - 10 K.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I would love to do it under 4h30

How many days a week can you train? 5

Why are you running this marathon?
    Would love to take my running to the next stage and have a goal over the next couple of months....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Best of luck with the training guys.
    I did it on here last year and loved it.
    Its a great feeling to follow a plan and finish the course.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just thought I'd post a heads up on this for those travelling to the marathon and also for those based in Dublin that might benefit from it. I was checking around hotels in the city centre toying with the idea of having a hotel / room base near the start / finish.

The way I saw it was it would be great to be already in town on the morning of the race to save travel time, would be good for the family to have a warm base to return to after seeing me off and whilst waiting many many hours for my slow poke self to get back ;), and also have the option of a nice hot shower soon after the finish. That would need a 2 night stay somewhere which would be a bit expensive. I did however find the maldron hotel cardiffslane. It's 1-1.5km from the start and finish areas, (ideal warm up territory) should be quiet enough sleeping wise on Sunday night given the location and for €20 you can get a late check out which allows you to stay until 4.00pm. So we're booked into a family room that will accomadate us all on the Sunday night, they have a base to head back to and I will have a room for a shower after the marathon. Worked out at €129 which I think will be well worth it. We've a provisional booking made that can be changed / cancelled at any time so if there is better options out there we're not committed. (I did see some cheaper one night options in badly reviewed hotels / hostels but the late checkout for this hotel (4 star advertised but some minor grumbles online I'm treating it as a good 3 star) seems like a win.

It might suit some of you.

Thanks for that Pageant, I will be coming up from Cork, so I will need to stay up on the Sunday night, and would like a shower and change before heading back down the road, so the late check out sounds perfect.

The breakfast time could be the kicker though, wonder what time they start serving. You'd prob to be having breakfast at about 7am really to avoid cramps etc.

Edit, just priced it, for a double room with breakfast and late check out, it's €138. Pricey enough, but then I suppose it's a BH hol weekend and they're bound to increase prices with the marathon being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

So, into the physio with me this morning with my pulled calf muscle...

Gonna be off my feet for 4-6 weeks which is what I expected.

I hopefully can start swimming and a little bit of cycling in the gym this weekend so as to not lose too much fitness. Hopefully :(

I was planning on the P&D 18 week, up t0 55 miles program, I'm not sure where this leaves me now though. I'll have to reassess. If anyone has an idea, shout it out.

Good luck to all of you, and I'll be back entering mileage on the table in a month or so, so don't delete me !!

jprender wrote: »
    So, into the physio with me this morning with my pulled calf muscle...

Gonna be off my feet for 4-6 weeks which is what I expected.

I hopefully can start swimming and a little bit of cycling in the gym this weekend so as to not lose too much fitness. Hopefully :(

I was planning on the P&D 18 week, up t0 55 miles program, I'm not sure where this leaves me now though. I'll have to reassess. If anyone has an idea, shout it out.

Good luck to all of you, and I'll be back entering mileage on the table in a month or so, so don't delete me !!

If you're back in 3/4 weeks and feel up to it you could follow the 12 week program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

(Late!) weekly check-in!
    Plan for last week was 3m-5m-3m-8m LSR.
    As I mentioned earlier, I gave blood on Monday so Tuesday & Wednesday's runs weren't great. Was doing a gentler pace than usual but legs felt like lead. Slight improvement in form for Thursday. Then Saturday night's LSR was KICK ASS! :cool: Amazing the difference my mum's cooking, some new music & a change of scenery can make! Did the 8m around Galway (prom, city centre, quincentenial bridge, westside....) and it was great. Felt like I had loads of energy. I know I ran a bit too fast for an LSR pace, but after the crappy week, it was great to feel like my legs were strong & light, & running was easy again! :)
    I felt especially virtuous running past the folks holding pints & cigarettes outside the pubs on Eyre Square. :p From some of the stares, you'd think they'd never seen someone running on a rainy Saturday night before!

Plan for this week:
    HHN2 week 1: 3m-5m-3m-9m. Excited to be Officially Training for a Marathon now!
    I'm going to add in the 100m strides on Wednesday as suggested by Anne. Be good to mix it up a bit. For the weekend, I'm doing the 5m Race Series in the Phoenix Park; plan to do a very gentle 2m warm up to the start area & hope to finish in 50 mins. Then home, eat-shower-change & into the car to bring Mr SC to the TriAthlone! Energetic Saturday followed by lazy Sunday planned in my house! :cool:
    NoelJ wrote: »
    I don't have a proper cross training routine yet. Will probably get out on my bike a bit more often & going to check out public sessions in my local pool. Quite like swimming actually, I think it gives my running muscles a rest & I don't have a red sweaty face for a change! :o
    I've improved my pre-run loosening up & post-run stretch routine & notice this is making a difference in recovery. Starting to add a little more core strengthening to this now. Can I count getting regular cardio / core workouts with Mr SC? ;) He's very good for my heart health :D
    ncmc wrote: »
    One problem though, I was at a music festival Saturday afternoon/night and I ended up over indulging a bit. I am annoyed with myself, because I know that will impact on my training this week. Does everyone else here intend to give up alcohol for the duration of the training? I am only out once in a blue moon, but I think I am going to try and avoid drinking. I don’t want to kill myself training and then ruin it by overdoing it at the weekend

Since I started back on a running plan 8 weeks ago, I've been more aware of my drinking on nights out. If I'm out on Friday & planning on an LSR on Saturday morning, I'll either head for the last bus @ 11:30 :( or stop drinking at midnight. So even if I've to sleep in for an extra hour or two the next morning, at least all the alcohol is out of my system before breakfast & I'm not battling a hangover. It's working so far, but sometimes it's really hard to pass up a cocktail :eek: for a cranberry juice or water! :pac:

Advertisement