Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    folan | 3 | 18.5 miles | ~410miles | last weeks outings

last weeks work. Got 5.4 miles in at lunch just now, as i might not be able to do so tomorrow. Will definatly get something in for the next 2 days, but time is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

jprender wrote: »
    So, into the physio with me this morning with my pulled calf muscle...

Gonna be off my feet for 4-6 weeks which is what I expected.

I hopefully can start swimming and a little bit of cycling in the gym this weekend so as to not lose too much fitness. Hopefully :(

I was planning on the P&D 18 week, up t0 55 miles program, I'm not sure where this leaves me now though. I'll have to reassess. If anyone has an idea, shout it out.

Good luck to all of you, and I'll be back entering mileage on the table in a month or so, so don't delete me !!

Oh no! What happened? Did you do too much too quickly? Were you stretching enough? Nightmare! :(

Keep up the fitness, don't be too disheartened, and fingers crossed you will be good for the 12 week plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

So, into the physio with me this morning with my pulled calf muscle...

Gonna be off my feet for 4-6 weeks which is what I expected.

I hopefully can start swimming and a little bit of cycling in the gym this weekend so as to not lose too much fitness. Hopefully :(

I was planning on the P&D 18 week, up t0 55 miles program, I'm not sure where this leaves me now though. I'll have to reassess. If anyone has an idea, shout it out.

Good luck to all of you, and I'll be back entering mileage on the table in a month or so, so don't delete me !!

Had that injury before and it's a bit of a pig to be honest. From my experience the key points to getting back are:
    • Stretch religiously. Runners are notorious for abandoning their stretching programmes as soon as they think they're almost recovered - don't do this!
    • Come back easy. For your first runs back your calf will feel a little tight - you need to be sensible about how to deal with this. Don't expect to be doing the same runs as before you got injured, always run within yourself and do lots of stretches afterwards.
    The silver lining is that the injury happened early - there's still lots of time to DCM 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Hi guys,

I previously ran a marathon a few years back but my training was awful. The longest run I did prior to the big day was a 14 miler on the Saturday before the race!! Combined with the 27 degree heat on the day and the fact that they ran out of water (Edinburgh Marathon a few years back), I came home in just over 5 hours. I think I was luck just to finish if I'm honest and probably wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for a cause close to my heart.

I think its time to rectify my record as I know that I can do much better than that with the right prep. This time I'm going to do the full 18 weeks and started today on Hal Higdon's Novice 1, doing the 3 miles as prescribed.

My question is, is this plan suitable for a sub 4 hour marathon? I'm not great with calculating this stuff but I reckon I should be doing the following:

Tue - 3m - 9mins/mile
    Wed 3m - 8:30mins/mile
    Thur 3m - 9mins/mile
    Sat 6m - LSR - 9:30mins/mile

I could be way off! But any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

miguelk | 4 | 19.97 miles | 79.70 miles | HHN2WK1 complete (cushion week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

ncmc wrote: »
    I’m glad to hear there was a reason for the lethargy, it sounded like you were worried about it. But you’re right, sometimes our bodies tell us to rest and we need to listen!

LA for two weeks, how fantastic! Whereabouts are you going? You will be amazed by the amount of people you will see jogging, cycling, roller blading etc, even in the full heat of the day. The locals are so active out there, it’s very different from other parts of the States in that way ;). Are you going to continue with the program out there? You will feel guilty seeing all those fit, toned bodies out there if you don’t :D:D:D
    I was there last year for a fortnight and I know what people say about America being a fat nation but this certainly does NOT apply to California! We start off in LA, then San Jose (Yosemite/ Carmel) and then SF. Disneyland has fresh fruit carts where you can but mango and pineapple spears, all kinds of fruit (at inflated prices of course) and loads of healthy options which somewhat surprised me, they do of course have hot dogs, pretzels etc but not bad for a theme park! We eat FAR more chocolate and crisps and rubbish here than the Californians, they are way ahead of us.
    Last year I did jog round Redondo Beach, to be honest it was FAR TOO HUMID and I had to pass on it, it felt like I was jogging in an oven with 40 hairdryers on full blast. I intend to use the gym facilities at the hotel, and jog early morning where possible, we are heading out to Yosemite where the temperature will be mid 40s so Im not going to risk that!!! I finish up in SF and will certainly be back on track for that leg. My goal is to run 13.1 this Sunday, and to train next Tue, Wed, Thurs and Saturday before I go. I hope to keep sharing with you when Im away as will have internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

DCM2012 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I previously ran a marathon a few years back but my training was awful. The longest run I did prior to the big day was a 14 miler on the Saturday before the race!! Combined with the 27 degree heat on the day and the fact that they ran out of water (Edinburgh Marathon a few years back), I came home in just over 5 hours. I think I was luck just to finish if I'm honest and probably wouldn't have done so if it wasn't for a cause close to my heart.

I think its time to rectify my record as I know that I can do much better than that with the right prep. This time I'm going to do the full 18 weeks and started today on Hal Higdon's Novice 1, doing the 3 miles as prescribed.

My question is, is this plan suitable for a sub 4 hour marathon? I'm not great with calculating this stuff but I reckon I should be doing the following:

Tue - 3m - 9mins/mile
    Wed 3m - 8:30mins/mile
    Thur 3m - 9mins/mile
    Sat 6m - LSR - 9:30mins/mile

I could be way off! But any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Sub 4hr would give you the following training paces

Tue - Recovery run - 10.30 - 11.00
    Wed - easy run /mile 9.30 - 10.00
    Thur Recovery - 10.30 - 11.00
    Sat - LSR - 10.00 - 10.30

If you have run any races recently put your times into the calculator here and see what paces/times comes up.

You should really be training to your current ability and not your predicted marathon time...this could lead to injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

duzzie | 4 | 38k | 195k | Wk 6 of my plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Trampas | 4 | 40.29k | 464.07km | Nice solid week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks for that Pageant, I will be coming up from Cork, so I will need to stay up on the Sunday night, and would like a shower and change before heading back down the road, so the late check out sounds perfect.

The breakfast time could be the kicker though, wonder what time they start serving. You'd prob to be having breakfast at about 7am really to avoid cramps etc.

Edit, just priced it, for a double room with breakfast and late check out, it's €138. Pricey enough, but then I suppose it's a BH hol weekend and they're bound to increase prices with the marathon being on.

Some of the hotels were looking at €400+ - there are a few cheaper ones available but they don't have great reviews and are likely to be in noisy areas. Last thing you want is to not sleep the night before a marathon. This hotel is located a bit off the beaten track tourist wise but is ideal for a warm up jog to the start line. The late checkout though completely swung it for me - (despite the general consensus I'm not going anywhere near a pub smelling like what I can only imagine I will smell like afterwards !!! nor would I subject the family to a room full of people in the same boat either :D)

Personally speaking will be bringing my own breakfast with me so didn't go for the breakfast option at all. It's not like you will get your moneys worth of a big fry etc :) If you do see anything better though please let me know !

• Advertisement

Pageant Messiah | 4 | 22k | resetting to 22k| Replaced my LSR (normally Monday) with a short run with 5 mile race in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Some of the hotels were looking at €400+ - there are a few cheaper ones available but they don't have great reviews and are likely to be in noisy areas. Last thing you want is to not sleep the night before a marathon. This hotel is located a bit off the beaten track tourist wise but is ideal for a warm up jog to the start line. The late checkout though completely swung it for me - (despite the general consensus I'm not going anywhere near a pub smelling like what I can only imagine I will smell like afterwards !!! nor would I subject the family to a room full of people in the same boat either )

Personally speaking will be bringing my own breakfast with me so didn't go for the breakfast option at all. It's not like you will get your moneys worth of a big fry etc If you do see anything better though please let me know !

Being doing a bit of research since I last posted, €139 is about the going rate for most places, so I suppose I'll have to reconcile myself to paying that! I've got into the habit of porridge before a LSR, I guess I'll have to bring a microwave with me!

Pageant Messiah | 4 | 22k | resetting to 22k| Replaced my LSR (normally Monday) with a short run with 5 mile race in mind.
    ncmc|4|26.7 miles|376 miles| Felt suprisingly good after a 13.5 mile LSR!

Some of the hotels were looking at €400+ - there are a few cheaper ones available but they don't have great reviews and are likely to be in noisy areas. Last thing you want is to not sleep the night before a marathon. This hotel is located a bit off the beaten track tourist wise but is ideal for a warm up jog to the start line. The late checkout though completely swung it for me - (despite the general consensus I'm not going anywhere near a pub smelling like what I can only imagine I will smell like afterwards !!! nor would I subject the family to a room full of people in the same boat either :D)

Personally speaking will be bringing my own breakfast with me so didn't go for the breakfast option at all. It's not like you will get your moneys worth of a big fry etc :) If you do see anything better though please let me know !

Guys you won't sleep much the night before anyway...Friday & Saturday nights sleep will be the most important on Marathon weekend!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Guys you won't sleep much the night before anyway...Friday & Saturday nights sleep will be the most important on Marathon weekend!!!

Is it par for the course to be lying awake full of nerves ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Younganne wrote: »
    Sub 4hr would give you the following training paces

Tue - Recovery run - 10.30 - 11.00
    Wed - easy run /mile 9.30 - 10.00
    Thur Recovery - 10.30 - 11.00
    Sat - LSR - 10.00 - 10.30

If you have run any races recently put your times into the calculator here and see what paces/times comes up.

You should really be training to your current ability and not your predicted marathon time...this could lead to injury...

Thanks very much! I feel comfortable at those speeds so I'll stick with that a hopefully stay injury free. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

rasher_m | 4 | 21 miles |?| last weeks outings

Last week went a bit better, felt better in myself. Ran 4/5/3/9 miles, some at Tempo.

Last night I ran 5 miles. I'm gonna stick with this weeks training from the plan but instead my training days this week are Mon/Tues/Wed/Sat
    I'm taking two days before the race series run on Saturday to give my legs a rest.

I had physio last night on my legs and it felt soo good. I also took a trip to Runways last Sat and got a new pair of runners.
    Funny, I went to Elvery's in Arnotts for Gait Analysis and they told me I had a pronate on my right foot.
    Runways told me I was neutral when they analysed me.
    I'm going with neutral since I dont tend to suffer with my right foot...thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

rasher_m|4|21 Miles|?|Last Weeks outings
    Corny|5|34|34 more than last week:)|45.41 10K capped a good solid week.

Added you in Rasher.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

(Late!) weekly check-in!

Starting to add a little more core strengthening to this now. Can I count getting regular cardio / core workouts with Mr SC? ;) He's very good for my heart health :D

No! You can count it as too much information :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Dave McMahon|4|20 miles|39 miles| had a good 10 mile on Sunday felt good to get beyond the double figures

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

rasher_m wrote: »
    No! You can count it as too much information :o

I'll stick to logging my marathon-specific training so. I'll keep my cross-training to myself ;)

zooming wrote: »
    I was there last year for a fortnight and I know what people say about America being a fat nation but this certainly does NOT apply to California! We start off in LA, then San Jose (Yosemite/ Carmel) and then SF. Disneyland has fresh fruit carts where you can but mango and pineapple spears, all kinds of fruit (at inflated prices of course) and loads of healthy options which somewhat surprised me, they do of course have hot dogs, pretzels etc but not bad for a theme park! We eat FAR more chocolate and crisps and rubbish here than the Californians, they are way ahead of us.
    Last year I did jog round Redondo Beach, to be honest it was FAR TOO HUMID and I had to pass on it, it felt like I was jogging in an oven with 40 hairdryers on full blast. I intend to use the gym facilities at the hotel, and jog early morning where possible, we are heading out to Yosemite where the temperature will be mid 40s so Im not going to risk that!!! I finish up in SF and will certainly be back on track for that leg. My goal is to run 13.1 this Sunday, and to train next Tue, Wed, Thurs and Saturday before I go. I hope to keep sharing with you when Im away as will have internet access.

Oh I’m so jealous! Yosemite is one of my favourite places I’ve ever been to, it’s just so beautiful. It was August when we were there, but I remember it being quite cool in the morning and evening, so you might be ok for a jog early in the morning there (just watch out for bears) It’s tricky trying to work your training into a holiday, especially if it’s somewhere warm. We are going to Italy in September, so I am nervous about being away at such an important time of my training, but I’m just going to juggle my long runs around so I only (:rolleyes:) have 13 miles while away, and I’ll do that early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

[PHP][/PHP] Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Dave McMahon|4|20 miles|39 miles| had a good 10 mile on Sunday felt good to get beyond the double figures
    Shortie Chik|4|19 miles|117.1 miles|Some good days (my long run :)), some bad days (short runs :o)!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

=shortie_chik;79416961] Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Shortie Chik|4|19 miles|117.1 miles|Some good days (my long run :)), some bad days (short runs :o)
    Sheba 121|4|18 miles|18 miles (reset to 18m) |All good runs yet a little warm for lsr on Sunday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Shortie Chik|4|19 miles|117.1 miles|Some good days (my long run :)), some bad days (short runs :o)
    Sheba 121|4|18 miles|18 miles (reset to 18m) |All good runs yet a little warm for lsr on Sunday:eek:
    Satanta|4|28 miles|I'll do a reset as well. 28 |LSR of 10m on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

How do I add me to this weeks table...technologically challenged:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Satanta wrote: »

Maybe it's me and I don't quite understand this table.....

but how has everyone got four or five sessions done this week when it is only Tuesday ?

I'm sure there is a simple explanation for it, but I can't see it :pac: :o

Maybe it's me and I don't quite understand this table.....

but how has everyone got four or five sessions done this week when it is only Tuesday ?

I'm sure there is a simple explanation for it, but I can't see it :pac: :o

It's a table of last weeks training - Monday began a new week which will be on next weeks table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

La di da|3|16 miles| Reset too. 16m |Includes 8km Docklands run on Tues eve.

Advertisement