Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Name|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    folan | 3 | 18.5 miles | ~410miles | last weeks outings
    miguelk | 4 | 19.97 miles | 79.70 miles | HHN2WK1 complete (cushion week)
    duzzie | 4 | 38k | 195k | Wk 6 of my plan
    Trampas | 4 | 40.29k | 464.07km | Nice solid week
    Pageant Messiah | 4 | 22k | resetting to 22k| Replaced my LSR (normally Monday) with a short run with 5 mile race in mind.
    ncmc|4|26.7 miles|376 miles| Felt suprisingly good after a 13.5 mile LSR!
    rasher_m|4|21 Miles|?|Last Weeks outings
    Corny|5|34|34 more than last week:)|45.41 10K capped a good solid week.
    Dave McMahon|4|20 miles|39 miles| had a good 10 mile on Sunday felt good to get beyond the double figures
    Shortie Chik|4|19 miles|117.1 miles|Some good days (my long run :)), some bad days (short runs :o)
    Sheba 121|4|18 miles|18 miles (reset to 18m) |All good runs yet a little warm for lsr on Sunday:eek:
    Satanta|4|28 miles|I'll do a reset as well. 28 |LSR of 10m on Sunday
    La di da|3|16 miles| Reset too. 16m |Includes 8km Docklands run on Tues eve.
    Next Name|Next Sessions|Next Distance This Week| Next Overall Distance|Next comments.
    Next Name|Next Sessions|Next Distance This Week| Next Overall Distance|Next comments.

For La di da :)

and a few extra slots made for anyone following.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Thanks PM! Sorry for messing up table - still bit clueless on posting, etc.

Came across this earlier on chi running, etc. Interesting read:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/new-emphasis-on-running-style-to-limit-injuries/?ref=health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

It's a table of last weeks training - Monday began a new week which will be on next weeks table.

gotcha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Pageant Messiah | 4 | 22k | resetting to 22k| Replaced my LSR (normally Monday) with a short run with 5 mile race in mind.
    Dave McMahon|4|20 miles|39 miles| had a good 10 mile on Sunday felt good to get beyond the double figures
    Shortie Chik|4|19 miles|117.1 miles|Some good days (my long run :)), some bad days (short runs :o)
    Sheba 121|4|18 miles|18 miles (reset to 18m) |All good runs yet a little warm for lsr on Sunday:eek:
    Wexford1996|4|28| 28|Includes Docklands 8km on Tuesday and half marathon on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Wexford1996|4|28| 28|Includes Docklands 8km on Tuesday and half marathon on Sunday.
    career_move|4|21.5m| 21.5m|Just got delivery of my High5 isogels. Make way for the new energiser bunny:D
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

jprender wrote: »
    Maybe it's me and I don't quite understand this table.....

but how has everyone got four or five sessions done this week when it is only Tuesday ?

I'm sure there is a simple explanation for it, but I can't see it :pac: :o

I was just as confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Hey all,

Thanks so much for this thread - I haven't waded through the 60 pages but it seems excellent....

I hope I'm not too late.... first day of marathon training for me today...!

I have been going to races (up to half marathon) for a few years now and I always enjoyed the buzz and excitement around them, but I've never trained properly for one. Up to now I've lacked the discipline to stick to a plan (be it exercise, nutrition, sleep etc.) and so this time I want it to be different...

Im 26, male, living in Galway, 5'10, 89 kilos. I used to be a decent footballer but that was 6 years ago now...Feck, didn't think it had been that long! Really looking forward to this challenge now and hopefully have what it takes....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5 mile 44:33 - December 2011
    10 kilometre 54:43 - November 2011
    10 mile 1:36:10 - August 2009
    Half marathon 2:04:48 - October 2011

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Sometimes on runs over 6 miles..

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant.
    Not a whole lot. As can be seen from my times I haven't really run since the end of last year. My main problem with running (and other things!) is that I do it in fits and bursts and never train consistently for anything more than a month. I'm hoping that getting involved here will help with that.:)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    My dream finishing time would be sub 4 hours. My realistic finishing time is sub 4 hours. I know I have it in me :D

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    To prove something to myself. To prove something to others. To get fit. To lose weight. To help deal with stress. To set a goal and achieve it. To have fun.

Because I know I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

career_move|4|21.5m| 21.5m|Just got delivery of my High5 isogels. Make way for the new energiser bunny:D
    Runchick|3|20.1 miles| unsure|Bit of a taper week for me but included a 10km race, all ready for first HM on friday to complete week 1!

Great to see so many motivated people on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1|5|41.46miles|468.68 miles|Also done 20km cycle this week to start cross-training.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

La Di Da wrote: »
    Thanks PM! Sorry for messing up table - still bit clueless on posting, etc.

Came across this earlier on chi running, etc. Interesting read:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/new-emphasis-on-running-style-to-limit-injuries/?ref=health

Thats right down my street. thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

tang1|5|41.46miles|468.68 miles|Also done 20km cycle this week to start cross-training.
    dazza21ie |4 |21.22| 40.38| 2 Weeks of HHN2 Done, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Hi guys, finally throwing my hat into the ring so to speak. started today with the 3 miles.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5K - 30 mins and some seconds. never raced anything longer than that but hope to change it soon.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    occasionally, if its a long one

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Up until now,very sporadic. at my best i was doing 3 times a week. I am willing to commit to 4 days a week now though.
    Also do a pilates class once a week and 30 mins yoga every other day & walk everywhere.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? I would like to finish in one piece! ideal is around 4 and realistic is somewhere around 4.30

How many days a week can you train? 5

Why are you running this marathon?
    To prove to myself i can do it, to follow a plan and stick to a regular exercise routine to achieve my goals, to improve general health and to improve my stamina!

This thread has been invaluable already! looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

3 miles yesterday and 3 today, will go for 4 tomorrow and a 13 on Sunday, Im nervous as hell about going away on holidays to disrupt my flow, but will do my utmost to keep it going as best I can, thankfully I am an early morning runner so can do it before the hectic day of sightseeing starts! I am so looking forward to this trip, Im spending 5 nights in Anaheim first up, so Im going to run to Disneyland and back from my hotel (4 miles round trip) in the morning...the only thing that is worrying me is the traffic pollution!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

Alanm|5|47k|732k|Long run definitely getting 'easier' to do, happy the way things are going

With the 5 mile race on this weekend, should we reduce our distances this week or will people do the race on Sat and a LSR on Sunday?

Another thing I've been thinking about, are there any significant differences between running 4 or 5 times a week? For example, if I'm aiming to run 48k this week and my LSR is 24k, would I be better doing 3 8k runs or 4 6k runs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

Week 1 and I've been struck down with sinusitis. I've been prescribed antibiotics to clear this up and am wondering if I should continue training?

I ran 5km slowly last night and didn't have any problems. Is it likely that continuing to run could cause injury or even lessen the effectiveness of the antibiotics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

elPadrino wrote: »
    Week 1 and I've been struck down with sinusitis. I've been prescribed antibiotics to clear this up and am wondering if I should continue training?

I ran 5km slowly last night and didn't have any problems. Is it likely that continuing to run could cause injury or even lessen the effectiveness of the antibiotics?

Don't run till your through your course of antibiotics. I'm sure your not starting the plan off no training and have a base of somekind built up. You could create a bigger problem for yourself running while on medication, done it myself with same problem as you and ended up with a severe chest infection that had me not running for a month. Few days for antibiotics to take affect wont kill you, better than a month or so with no running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

tang1 wrote: »
    Don't run till your through your course of antibiotics. I'm sure your not starting the plan off no training and have a base of somekind built up. You could create a bigger problem for yourself running while on medication, done it myself with same problem as you and ended up with a severe chest infection that had me not running for a month. Few days for antibiotics to take affect wont kill you, better than a month or so with no running.

Cheers tang1. I appreciate, and will follow your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Deedee2012|4|20m| 20m|Good if wet runs.

Week 1 gone out of sync already, no babysitter last night so no run, so did some core/strength stuff instead, was fed up not being able to run so I think I overdid it, with the result I had legs of lead for my first run of the week, 3 miles this morning, A lesson learned, Dee

*** Covering: Week Beginning 18th June - (Week Before Hal Higdon Week 1) ***
    To Add Your Line To This Table:
    1 - Click on "Quote" button to quote this post
    2 - Delete the [ QUOTE=someonesname;postnumber] from the start.
    3 - Choose the next available line. Fill in your details in the same format as the posters ahead of you.
    4 - If using the last line - please copy and paste it again (before the [/TABLE] ) so there is a blank template ready for the next person.
    5 - Delete the [/QUOTE] tag at the end.
    6 - Hit reply

Alanm|5|47k|732k|Long run definitely getting 'easier' to do, happy the way things are going
    Deedee2012|4|20M| 20M |Good if wet runs.

The above is a suggestion for a template to help with confusion until we all get used to doing it on a regular basis. If the instructions are included in each post it may make it easier. Also stating the week / dates in question may be helpful as this has also caused confusion in the past few days.

Just a suggestion - don't want to step on anyones toes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

19 people already in the table is quite impressive. Maybe it's worth (someone else :)) google doc'ing the whole thing? One page for each week in the training plan, column headings are days of the week, total distance, total so far, and comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great idea Ray, but i'm no good to anyone on this, i'm google illiterate :o so someone else will have to help out there!!!!

Would you prefer to use google docs as the input source and then once a week display it here as an update - or would you still use here to input and have someone transfer it onto google docs ?

The reason I ask is that the inputting onto google docs will take away a bit of the personal support from the community here for each weekly update. Also you'd have to factor in some users here not knowing how to update a spreadsheet (temporary problem no different to the current table !) But that said googledocs could automatically calculate your total distances etc. and would be a far better source of tracking the entire experience.

I'm happy to throw something together tonight if required.

Edit - Just had a quick play with google docs there - I could put it together tonight. Each week you would have your name pre filled in etc. Would be a far easier and better way to track things as the numbers grow. - half the people from last week are not even on the current table so it will get bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Got an important question, does anyone know if the t-shirts will be the same as last years or previous years?

Last years medium for the 5 mile was really baggy and I should of got a small but in 2009 the medium was perfect. Maybe they'll let me try one on, can't wait to get my t-shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Would you prefer to use google docs as the input source and then once a week display it here as an update - or would you still use here to input and have someone transfer it onto google docs ?

The reason I ask is that the inputting onto google docs will take away a bit of the personal support from the community here for each weekly update. Also you'd have to factor in some users here not knowing how to update a spreadsheet (temporary problem no different to the current table !) But that said googledocs could automatically calculate your total distances etc. and would be a far better source of tracking the entire experience.

I'm happy to throw something together tonight if required.

Edit - Just had a quick play with google docs there - I could put it together tonight. Each week you would have your name pre filled in etc. Would be a far easier and better way to track things as the numbers grow. - half the people from last week are not even on the current table so it will get bigger and bigger.

That would be great. I filled in the table last night but must have done it at the same time as the next person as my entry is no longer there. The googledocs suggestion would stop this happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gluteus maximus

Tommy Tiernan's Declan Moffatt sketch is the inspiration for my training schedule......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cool, I asked rom to do one because he did the 1000 mile spreadsheet, but that was just me being lazy and looking for someone else to do the work :) I'm sure you could do one.
    I'd suggest a sheet for each week of training, columns for name, days of week, total this week, total so far & comments.

You'd lose a bit of the support from people seeing your updates, but on the other hand the thread wouldn't be full of tables so it would be easier to see the comments. And if someone has an interesting comment on the doc nothing to stop you from bringing it up here...

Ok here's a rough draft.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=0

I will tidy it up add more weeks and jazz it up a bit over the next couple of days.

In the mean time. Here's how to use it.

The first time you enter your name in week in column A of week 0 (last weeks information - week 1 will be the official start of Hal Higdons program) it will auto fill your name in for the rest of the weeks sheets)
    EDIT - I have entered the names of anyone who inputted data onto the table in last two weeks - 34 participants so far ! If your name is not on the list please edit one of the new joiner slots at the top of the sheet. I will move to the correct row afterwards. Please do not enter / create new lines yourself to slot in alphabetically as the linked sheets in other weeks will reference the wrong spot if not done correctly. I kind of know what I'm doing so leave it with me :)
    Fill in your daily mileage / kilometres but NOT both. The sheet will calculate the total mileage covered for the week - and will also calculate the total mileage since the sheet began on week 0.
    Once we're all in I will most probably alphabeticalise the names to keep everything smooth.
    Any feature requests let me know and I will add them in before replicating out the rest of the weeks.
    All you will have to do is click on the current week and add your daily totals in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Ok here's a rough draft.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=0

I will tidy it up add more weeks and jazz it up a bit over the next couple of days.

In the mean time. Here's how to use it.

The first time you enter your name in week in column A of week 0 (last weeks information - week 1 will be the official start of Hal Higdons program) it will auto fill your name in for the rest of the weeks sheets)
    EDIT - I have entered the names of anyone who inputted data onto the table in last two weeks - 34 participants so far ! If your name is not on the list please edit one of the new joiner slots at the top of the sheet. I will move to the correct row afterwards. Please do not enter / create new lines yourself to slot in alphabetically as the linked sheets in other weeks will reference the wrong spot if not done correctly. I kind of know what I'm doing so leave it with me :)
    Fill in your daily mileage / kilometres but NOT both. The sheet will calculate the total mileage covered for the week - and will also calculate the total mileage since the sheet began on week 0.
    Once we're all in I will most probably alphabeticalise the names to keep everything smooth.
    Any feature requests let me know and I will add them in before replicating out the rest of the weeks.
    All you will have to do is click on the current week and add your daily totals in.
    Cheers!

Hopefully tracking this in public instead of just in my notebook will keep me moivated out of shame at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Deedee2012|4|20M| 20M |Good if wet runs.
    Sassyj|3|12m| ?|Missed 1 session

Advertisement