Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

When I started running last autumn, I always ran in km. When I decided to do marathon, I changed over to miles. As silly as this sounds, I can't get used to miles. Do people train for and run the marathon in kms?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sassyj wrote: »
    Do people train for and run the marathon in kms?

Sure. The only thing to note is that the Dublin marathon route has mile markers and 5k markers, no markers at individual kms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Hey guys,

just added my name to the doc. Great idea!

first time doing a marathon, my furthest previous was a half marathon I tried 4 years ago with very little training.

5 miles today, finding it hard to manage my pace. started off like a sprinter and faded quickly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

When I started running last autumn, I always ran in km. When I decided to do marathon, I changed over to miles. As silly as this sounds, I can't get used to miles. Do people train for and run the marathon in kms?

Yeah I just moved from KM to miles. It makes me feel like I've been running a lot less but I suppose I'll get used to it after time. I'm trying to discover my paces for each run which is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Expect to do more mental maths during the race (due to the fact that it's marked in miles), and possibly in training (peaking at 32km LSR, for example), but apart from that there is basically no difference. It can also help to have a rough idea of what the mile equivalents of certain paces are (for example - 5 min km and 8 min mile being very close pace-wise, 4 hr marathon pace being 5.41/km or 9.09/mile).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

thanks for replies re kms vs miles. I have a Garmin so that can mark individual kms for me on the big day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

We're up to 40 participants now. :) Didn't realise we had so many - this sheet will work out a lot better than 40+ posts of tables every week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=0

I've also added a calculation of how many miles we are doing as a group as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

We're up to 40 participants now. :) Didn't realise we had so many - this sheet will work out a lot better than 40+ posts of tables every week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=0

I've also added a calculation of how many miles we are doing as a group as well.

Excellent Stuff - maybe a column for male/female??? I get red when I meet up with boardsies and they're expecting a woman for some reason :eek:

Excellent Stuff - maybe a column for male/female??? I get red when I meet up with boardsies and they're expecting a woman for some reason :eek:

Ha Ha - I have also been mistaken for a woman here too (was hit on by PM by a randy fireman one night believe it or not !!!!)

Column added. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ha Ha - I have also been mistaken for a woman here too (was hit on by PM by a randy fireman one night believe it or not !!!!)

Column added. :)

Great table Pageant, I was finding the other table a bit confusing :rolleyes:! I’m a bit of a dunce at times. Great idea having the column for males and females, I’ve been making a lot of presumptions, so it’ll be interesting to see if their right! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

Nice work! Could we get totals done in KM's too?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Started of the same myself but as the marathon is the main goal this year and the course for it is marked in miles (plus every 5k) and most training plans are done in miles I have reluctantly converted. So much so that I now find it hard to comprehend distances in KM anymore. Like I am doing a 6.21 mile race soon :)!

Alanm wrote: »
    Nice work! Could we get totals done in KM's too?

Yeah - will add them in to the right of the miles (I'm concious that going too wide might end up with a scrollbar needed for some users so will prioritise the miles)

I'm a KM man myself so I know where you're coming from !

Edit - Columns for Total Kms Added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Its only a mind thing, 26miles sounds alot better than 42km in my mind. Kilometres maybe shorter but theres more of them to run. When we hit 20 miles come October, i much rather know its 6 miles left rather than 10km. As i said its only a mind thing.

I use Endomondo which feeds back to me every kilometre or mile depending on what setting you put it on. I started off very much in the miles mindset but found that in km I was getting information back to me more often which I felt was crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am a km man myself.

A nice sweating session tonight. Would the thunder and lightning come to freshen up the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Cool spreadsheet , cannot figure out how to add totals on right hand side, any ideas?

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Cool spreadsheet , cannot figure out how to add totals on right hand side, any ideas?

I've slotted you into the main pack.

For anyone else joining in please overwrite one of the newjoiner slots up at the top. (If you put in data at the bottom the calculations won't add up) :)

45 registered now - that's a great crew !

Edit - make that 46 - wowzer with some serious mileage !

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

For anyone else joining in please overwrite one of the newjoiner slots up at the top. (If you put in data at the bottom the calculations won't add up) :)

Pageant Messiah - Fair play to you. Nice long run last week, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Edit - make that 46 - wowzer with some serious mileage !

Added myself in there for last week (hope correctly!) - This is brill, tx for setting up
    Not great total as had to skip a run cos of sore hamstring (started Tues run too fast with no warm up but 3 days rest sorted it out). Looking forward to proper Marathon programme start next week...

• Advertisement

FiiFii wrote: »
    Added myself in there for last week (hope correctly!) - This is brill, tx for setting up
    Not great total as had to skip a run cos of sore hamstring (started Tues run too fast with no warm up but 3 days rest sorted it out). Looking forward to proper Marathon programme start next week...

Hi FiiFii - yep no problems have you slotted in now too. Welcome to the thread / group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks Page....you must be a bit of a techno whizz so is there a way I can set that up as a link on my desktop so I can just click into it to put in the info instead of coming onto boards.ie?

Thanks Page....you must be a bit of a techno whizz so is there a way I can set that up as a link on my desktop so I can just click into it to put in the info instead of coming onto boards.ie?

Yep - copy the url of the document from the address bar.

Go to your desktop - right click --> new ---> shortcut ---> paste it in there (depending on your version of windows after that but it should be easily followed)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Great spreadsheet. I have a few big bike spins to finish before I can focus solely on the running but I will do my best.

I an comfortable enough running up to 16km in about 1.30

My best times would be 40.05 for a 8km and 53.12 for a 10km

Would love to do marathon in about 4 hours but reckon I will be closer to 4.30. Time will tell.

Have been lurking here for a few weeks. A great thread with wonderful input from the mentors and the novices alike. Good luck everyone!

I am not doing DCM but am doing a marathon the week after so this programme should have me there or there abouts I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Think I've added myself on and saved the info alright!! I did a PT session so not sure about adding that in for last week. I've only really started tracking properly this week. I'm sticking with Anne's plan. Just a couple of queries:

I plan on doing the LSR on Saturdays with cross training on Sunday followed by a rest day. At the moment I do a bootcamp on Sunday mornings. It's very social and sounds harder than it is. As the time goes on, I'm wondering is it a good idea to continue with the bootcamp?

What are your thoughts on alcohol? Sorry, I think this was covered a while back. I like having a glass or two with my dinner but know this is not the wisest thing to do.

Any advice welcomed! I've had a really good week so far with 2 runs and another hour exercising so a bit daft that I'm feeling unsure this morning
    about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems' - Homer Simpson.

Common sense applies, if you go on a bender every Friday you're going to have a tough LSR on Saturday. Everything in moderation, I aways have a few bottles of beer or a glass of wine the night before a marathon, if it relaxes you and helps you sleep there's no harm, better that than be a ball of nerves and not sleep a wink.:)

We're up to 50 people now !

Of the 50 people who are on the sheet (made up from those who signed up and those who previously posted on the old tables):

13 have yet to fill in the sheet.
    Of the 37 who have we covered 754 miles / 1214km last week between us.
    13 males and 11 females have filled in the M/F column.
    Wowzer and Tang1 both ran over 40 miles and will have their asses promoted to the improvers thread if they keep running ahead of us all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Hey no fair, its my first marathon and only running about 15 months so I'm a novice ;)
    That improvers thread will be ours next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

wowzer wrote: »
    Hey no fair, its my first marathon and only running about 15 months so I'm a novice ;)
    That improvers thread will be ours next year.

Fair play Wowzer...if I was running that kind of mileage I'd probably burn out or get fed up before the marathon plan even kicks off. What kind of time are you looking for in the marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet it is a great idea. Two sessions so far this week but unfortunately a wee end of term party this afternoon/evening will stop any training today and probably tomorrow. But after this, sobriety and training for the rest of the summer!!
    I don't know if other people feel the same but after a 3 mile run yesterday the thought of running for 26 miles just seems overwhelmimg. I will stick with the plan and see how it goes but this is a daunting prospect. Thanks for the help and motivation from this thread and hopefully the training will progress.

Advertisement