Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet it is a great idea. Two sessions so far this week but unfortunately a wee end of term party this afternoon/evening will stop any training today and probably tomorrow. But after this, sobriety and training for the rest of the summer!!
    I don't know if other people feel the same but after a 3 mile run yesterday the thought of running for 26 miles just seems overwhelmimg. I will stick with the plan and see how it goes but this is a daunting prospect. Thanks for the help and motivation from this thread and hopefully the training will progress.

I'm finding since I added a fourth days training that my legs are constantly tired, like they feel they need to be massaged and my feet as well. I am after getting a lot of hard skin on the pads below my toes and when I run hard they feel like they're burning. I bought new runners last week to see if this would make a difference, I think I was expecting magic from them to be honest. Is this happening for anyone else?
    I have been using a foot spa and putting epson salts in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet it is a great idea. Two sessions so far this week but unfortunately a wee end of term party this afternoon/evening will stop any training today and probably tomorrow. But after this, sobriety and training for the rest of the summer!!
    I don't know if other people feel the same but after a 3 mile run yesterday the thought of running for 26 miles just seems overwhelmimg. I will stick with the plan and see how it goes but this is a daunting prospect. Thanks for the help and motivation from this thread and hopefully the training will progress.

You're not the only one Joe, far from it, but if you follow the plan, the distances become less daunting. In the last two months, I have gone from 6 miles to 13.5 miles, just by gradually extending my long run at the weekend. I think the day I did 10 miles for the first time was when I really started to believe I could do it (hope I don't end up eating those words :D) Some days are harder than others, and the marathon still feels daunting, but I truely believe I can do it now and the support on here is a great help.

Some people are ahead of others and doing more/faster miles, but we'll all get there in the end. Just stick to the plan and come on here if you feel your dedication wobbling!

Enjoy your party this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

We're up to 50 people now !

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=0

Of the 50 people who are on the sheet (made up from those who signed up and those who previously posted on the old tables):

13 have yet to fill in the sheet.
    Of the 37 who have we covered 754 miles / 1214km last week between us.
    13 males and 11 females have filled in the M/F column.
    Wowzer and Tang1 both ran over 40 miles and will have their asses promoted to the improvers thread if they keep running ahead of us all ;)

Excellent spreadsheet and such a great motivator! In my world of non-runners its nice to come on here and see I'm not alone, most people I know think I'm mad in the head now I've gone public with plans to run a marathon...oh my goodness, even typing it scares me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'm finding since I added a fourth days training that my legs are constantly tired, like they feel they need to be massaged and my feet as well. I am after getting a lot of hard skin on the pads below my toes and when I run hard they feel like they're burning. I bought new runners last week to see if this would make a difference, I think I was expecting magic from them to be honest. Is this happening for anyone else?

Yeah don't worry. Its happening to me aswell. Just after finishing my third day in a row. 3 miles, 5 miles then 3 again. My shins started to affect me and I felt a lot more tired. I don't think the sun helped either as its 21 degrees today. I havent done anything for it. Looking forward to a 2 day break before I run on Sunday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Hi

Have put my name on spreadsheet also if thats ok..

Do I still need to fill out the questionnaire that was at beginning of the thread? edit: Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Hi rasher_m, thanks... going by my times in shorter races the prediction calculators have me at around 3.20 for the marathon, but realistically 3.30 is my goal for now, will see how the training goes and if its going well i may target that 3.20.

You mentioned your legs are contantly tired after adding that 4th run to your week. This is normal when increasing your milage. Are you strecthing after your runs and on days that you dont run? Also are you getting enough protein in your diet? Protein rich foods will help repair any damaged muscle tissue and will help with your recovery after running..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

zefer wrote: »
    Hi

Have put my name on spreadsheet also if thats ok..

Do I still need to fill out the questionnaire that was at beginning of the thread?

Hi Zefer - I've slotted you in with the rest of the field - you're second from bottom now just behind Zooming.

I'd say go ahead with the questionnaire - it's more of an introduction and an idea of where you are pace / training wise for the mentors. I'm always interested myself to read the back story to the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Wowzer and Tang1 both ran over 40 miles and will have their asses promoted to the improvers thread if they keep running ahead of us all ;)

Hey thats not fair, i'm telling Younganne on ya;);). Only 34miles planned this week so i'm cutting back:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Docklands 8k 2012 - 40.36
    Dublin 10 mile 2011 - 1.35

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! Not normally

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    3 to 4 times a week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Would love to do it in 4 hours but would be happy with anything between 4 under 4.15

How many days a week can you train?
    4 - 5

Why are you running this marathon?
    Enjoy running and want to prove to myself that I can do it

wowzer wrote: »
    Hi rasher_m, thanks... going by my times in shorter races the prediction calculators have me at around 3.20 for the marathon, but realistically 3.30 is my goal for now, will see how the training goes and if its going well i may target that 3.20.

You mentioned your legs are contantly tired after adding that 4th run to your week. This is normal when increasing your milage. Are you strecthing after your runs and on days that you dont run? Also are you getting enough protein in your diet? Protein rich foods will help repair any damaged muscle tissue and will help with your recovery after running..

Hi Wowzer, thanks for that, I'm probably not doing enough stretching alright. I think its the pain in the balls of my toes that really bothers me particularly after a run of 10 miles or more.

Thats great going with the training especially since you're running such a short time. I'm sure you could target 3.20 no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Today was a manky day for running....so hot and humid. I'm back 40 min have had a cold shower and am still sweating:eek:

Today was a manky day for running....so hot and humid. I'm back 40 min have had a cold shower and am still sweating:eek:

I was like that and I went out at 9 last night, I looked like a victim of high blood pressure when I came home and all I did was 3 miles at about 10 mins per mile.

I'm dreading my 6 miles later, it's really warm and humid here, worse still, I jog in my local forest and I know the path will be like a quagmire with all the rain.

I hate the feeling of being overheated, but worse is the chill you sometimes get after getting really overheated.

Ugh, hate this weather all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Dreading the run later, I do not do well in this heat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I did my 16k run last night as I have the Irish Runner 5miler on Saturday. The first 4 ks were very hot and humid. Then had a rain shower which cooled things down nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Trampas

resting up today as slight strain in foot so best to ice and some anti inflams.

hopefully alright for saturday.

end of the day it is a marathon and not a sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

@ rasher_m, sore toes, sore feet, sore legs, blisters, hard skin, tired minds, tired bodies and sometimes bruised egos. It's all part of marathon training so I'm told... Remind me again why we are doing this haha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Arriving fashoinably late (I thought the 1st week of the Hal Higdon plan was this week starting Mon 25th rather than last week?!) I'm 26, male, very much looking forward to my marathon journey, though I have to question whether some people in this thread could be classed as "Novices" :eek:

No races yet, though I am doing the Irish Runner 5 mile on Saturday.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Not in the last few weeks, but I am pretty much a running noob!

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Been keeping roughly with the first week of Hal Higdon Novice 1, I also play 5-a-side football once a week. My pace varies wildly between 9:00 and 11:00 so I think I need to get some consistency going

Haven't figured that part out yet.. At the moment just want to finish!

So I can brag about it, duh :) Nah it'd be great to set such a huge goal and achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

wowzer wrote: »
    @ rasher_m, sore toes, sore feet, sore legs, blisters, hard skin, tired minds, tired bodies and sometimes bruised egos. It's all part of marathon training so I'm told;)

Ah yes the pain. Gradually your pain threshold will increase as will your mental threshold for pushing yourself when your tired. This is normal so don't worry as is the self doubt and the voices in your head.

The ability to eat all round you, lose weight and still be hungry is my favourite.

Enjoy folks, enjoy. In a year's time, you'll read all the newbies on here and remember fondly the madness of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Welcome Sweep22, I wouldn't be put off by other people's times or targets. At the end of the day the only person you are racing against will be yourself. Everyone else out there are just pacemakers of some sort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Maybe a good idea to put the spreadsheet link in the first post , so we don't have to keep searching for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Welcome Sweep22, I wouldn't be put off by other people's times or targets. At the end of the day the only person you are racing against will be yourself. Everyone else out there are just pacemakers of some sort!

That's good advice, thanks!
    SnailsPace wrote: »
    Maybe a good idea to put the spreadsheet link in the first post , so we don't have to keep searching for it??

Bear in mind you can add the page as a bookmark! (Or favourites as they're known in Internet Explorer)

Oh crikey…. No turning back now…. :eek::eek::eek: I have officially just entered the Dublin City Marathon!!!!! Number 6800, nice round number, please remember it and physically push me along if you find me slumped somewhere along the way!

It’s weird, I have the biggest smile on my face right now, it feels great to be actually entered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh crikey…. No turning back now…. :eek::eek::eek: I have officially just entered the Dublin City Marathon!!!!! Number 6800, nice round number, please remember it and physically push me along if you find me slumped somewhere along the way!

It’s weird, I have the biggest smile on my face right now, it feels great to be actually entered!

I entered 2 weeks ago today and got 1227, over 5000 lunatics have entered in that two weeks. Be keepin an eye out for you ncmc come DCM day.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Bear in mind you can add the page as a bookmark! (Or favourites as they're known in Internet Explorer)

Ok, Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ncmc wrote: »

If they ever did Carry On Marathon that would get you an Oooh Matron :D

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Ok, Apologies!

Also remember you can add the url as a shortcut on your desktop

If they ever did Carry On Marathon that would get you an Oooh Matron :D

I wish I could thank this 10 times!!!!

Carry on Marathon... you could be on to a great idea there :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

rasher_m wrote: »

I had a similar problem with hard skin on my feet last year. I was told that the problem stems from extra moisture / sweat when you run. I upgraded the quality of socks I was wearing and that helped a lot. Over time, the issue resolved itself and I no longer suffer (although I suspect the problem may resurface later in the marathon training when we get to crazy mileage). I'm no expert but I think the hard skin forms to protect your feet so I wouldn't be in favour of removing it with pumice stone or anything like that. I suffered with blood blisters and lost a middle toe nail after the race series half marathon. It took ages to grow back. I shudder to think about the state of your feet after a marathon! Any advice from the moderators on keeping feet and toes in order as we go along would be most welcome.

Thanks for the stellar work on the table. Clocking in once a week is a major incentive to get out and do the hard work. Bon courage everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

Just started running, Always been busy with other sports but now 29 and always wanted to run a marathon.

I've only raced once in ten years

August 2011, Celbridge 5k 24:14

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

On some longer runs. I understand it is completely psychological and its just quitting a little bit

Just started last week and did 22k. 4 runs (3, 5, 8, 6)

Dream under 4 hours, realisticly I believe I can do under 4 hours, but would settle for under 4:15 .

4-5

I have been inspired watching people going from nowhere to marathon and always thought I could do it and want to prove to myself that I can.

Just had a minor set back today, was out for 6k run and after just over two k, my left calf got very tight and I had to stop, walked about a kilometer and it loosened up, I managed to get running again and actually felt great by the end. Now my calf is tight again. I have iced and compressed it, I hope it will be better by Sunday as I plan on doing another 10k.

Advertisement