Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

wowzer wrote: »
    @ rasher_m, sore toes, sore feet, sore legs, blisters, hard skin, tired minds, tired bodies and sometimes bruised egos. It's all part of marathon training so I'm told... Remind me again why we are doing this haha ;)
    "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional" :D

tang1 wrote: »
    I entered 2 weeks ago today and got 1227, over 5000 lunatics have entered in that two weeks. Be keepin an eye out for you ncmc come DCM day.
    I entered back in April but I didn't get any number:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I entered back in April but I didn't get any number:confused:

You should have received a confirmation email regarding your entry and fee paid. Your number should be in that email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Road & Gate Closures, Saturday June 30th

In order to ensure the safety of participants in the Irish Runner 5 mile challenge the following restrictions will apply:

Gates to be closed:

Chapelizod Gate 10.00 am - 11.30 am (except hospital traffic)

Knockmaroon Gate 9.45 am - 11.30 am (complete closure)

Castleknock Gate 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Ashtown Gate 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Cabra Gate (Exit Only) 9.45 am - 10.45 am

Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic:

Main Road (Phoenix - Mountjoy) 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Ordnance Survey Road 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Acres Road 9.45 am - 11.00 am

Back Road (Mountjoy - Odd Lamp Rd) 9.30 am - 11.00 am

Upper Glen Road 9.45 am - 11.30 am

Military Road 9.45 am - 11.30 am

Main Road (Phoenix - Lord's Walk) 9.45 am - 11.00 am

549 for race series and 6161 for marathon.

I entered on May 6th

Mrs Trampas is 550 and 6162

• Advertisement

You should have received a confirmation email regarding your entry and fee paid. Your number should be in that email.
    It wasn't in the original email but I went to the DCM website and got another invoice and its in that.....5895:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hi
    Just wondering where ye do most of your training, eg road, trail or grass?

I live out the country so I currently run on country roads, some of which are a bit campered with grass growing up the middle. I have been thing about running in the fields but noticed that there is the ris of getting chased by a bull or the like:eek: or else tristin my ankle on the uneven ground.

I have been reading other peoples opinions online and some say that all the shorter runs should be done on grass and the long run on road while others say the long run should be done on grass.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Just back from 6 miles, caught the running on air, could run forever feeling a couple of miles in, that's why I run!! Can't wait for Saturday now, bring it on, Dee

darabbit wrote: »
    Hi

I live out the country so I currently run on country roads, some of which are a bit campered with grass growing up the middle. I have been thing about running in the fields but noticed that there is the ris of getting chased by a bull or the like:eek: or else tristin my ankle on the uneven ground.

I have been reading other peoples opinions online and some say that all the shorter runs should be done on grass and the long run on road while others say the long run should be done on grass.

What do ye think?

If you have a suitable place to do couple of short runs on grass do, helps your legs recover. But most of your runs should be on road, get your legs used to the surface and feel of the road, won't be any grass on the roads in DCM '12.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Trampas wrote: »
    549 for race series and 6161 for marathon.

I entered on May 6th

Mrs Trampas is 550 and 6162
    Must have signed up around the same time. I'm 545 and 6155

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

darabbit wrote: »
    Hi

What do ye think?

For pure convenience I do my shorter runs on a forest path (I bring my dog with me and she can run off lead beside me) it is sort of a compressed mud and gravel path, quite easy to run on. For my longer runs which I do without doggie, I run on the road. Think it's better to get used to running on the road to prepare for the marathon.

I also wouldn't be keen on running round a field, too many hidden dangers (or not so hidden if it's a bull!) Also, I hate doing laps, I like to run X distance, turn round and run back! I know it's only in my head, but laps feel much longer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hi All,

Ill add my name to the list! Always had an ambition to run a marathon, this is the year and the place!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Yes, running and racing for a couple of years now on and off.

10km - 44.27 - May 2012
    Half Marathon - 1:37:56 - September 2011

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

No
    How much training do you currently do?

Havnt done much last couple of months, keep ticking over with an 8-10k now and again.

Aimed to start HHN2 this week, but sickness put paid to that after 1 session, aim to start agian now next week, will catch up!!

What do you want to achieve?

Dream finish time 03:30, realistic aim for finish time 03:45

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?

To prove I can and to achieve a long time goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I entered 2 weeks ago today and got 1227, over 5000 lunatics have entered in that two weeks.

The numbers are grouped into the time categories - first few thousand are for the people who said they'd run sub 3.30, then the 3.30-4.15 numbers, then the 4.15 plus numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Sorry, but can someone explain where they are getting their numbers from ? My confirmation mail where I paid for all 5 races has no numbers. Thanks.

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Sorry, but can someone explain where they are getting their numbers from ? My confirmation mail where I paid for all 5 races has no numbers. Thanks.
    Go into dublinmarathon.ie......entry details....register online....entrants search Then type in your surname and it should tell you your number

Got mine in a confirmation email with the subject "Your Order Invoice". The numbers were towards the bottom of the email in the Race Entry Details

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

If you have a suitable place to do couple of short runs on grass do, helps your legs recover. But most of your runs should be on road, get your legs used to the surface and feel of the road, won't be any grass on the roads in DCM '12.

I can run in the park if I run after work. I hate driving homw all hot & sweaty though. There are no proper shower facilities at work:mad: I guess once a week won't be too bad to sit in car with all windows down!!

RayCun wrote: »
    The numbers are grouped into the time categories - first few thousand are for the people who said they'd run sub 3.30, then the 3.30-4.15 numbers, then the 4.15 plus numbers.

Mods know everthing, just thought they would go up one with each individual entry.

Duzzie wrote: »

Got mine in a confirmation email with the subject "Your Order Invoice". The numbers were towards the bottom of the email in the Race Entry Details
    Cheers , number 45 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Think I just added to the spreadsheet - but name is still at top? Don't know if I have missed something? (It is early in the morning though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Think I just added to the spreadsheet - but name is still at top? Don't know if I have missed something? (It is early in the morning though!)
    Yeah that's the normal. Every few hours I go in and move things round / slot the new entrants in properly in the table below.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Yeah that's the normal. Every few hours I go in and move things round / slot the new entrants in properly in the table below.

Great job by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Excellent work PM, fair play. Great way to track progress and will clean up the thread no end. Updated my own line now.

Building up to the 5m tomorrow, getting excited. Ambitiously running for a 40 min target so took it handy this week. Light run later, make sure I've my breakfast supplies and a couple of bananas for the morning and I'm all set for my first race.

Not 100% on whether I have a babysitter, I'll be disappointed if I can't make it but its not the end of the world if I don't, OH has something more important on so I could be on duty.

Best of luck to anyone else doing it, enjoy it, hope you stay injury free and if you see #850 give me a shout/wave.

still icing and popping the happy pills for my foot.

Place which is sore is at times is outside of left foot just below the bone where the fibula and foot meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

miguelk wrote: »

Excellent work PM, fair play. Great way to track progress and will clean up the thread no end. Updated my own line now.

Building up to the 5m tomorrow, getting excited. Ambitiously running for a 40 min target so took it handy this week. Light run later, make sure I've my breakfast supplies and a couple of bananas for the morning and I'm all set for my first race.

Not 100% on whether I have a babysitter, I'll be disappointed if I can't make it but its not the end of the world if I don't, OH has something more important on so I could be on duty.

Best of luck to anyone else doing it, enjoy it, hope you stay injury free and if you see #480 give me a shout/wave.

Cheers - its nice to be able to contribute something for all the support and advice I am getting myself.

Am also in the 5 mile tomorrow but 40 min is out of reach for me. When I started running back in January I had set myself a 40min goal for the 5 mile but I'm not quite as fast as I would have liked to be. Have completed the exact course in 48 min whilst training a few weeks back so anything below that will be a good run and new pb for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Am also in the 5 mile tomorrow but 40 min is out of reach for me. When I started running back in January I had set myself a 40min goal for the 5 mile but I'm not quite as fast as I would have liked to be. Have completed the exact course in 48 min whilst training a few weeks back so anything below that will be a good run and new pb for me.

You'd be surprised at how close the race adrenaline will take you on the day. Give it a go anyway. :)

Cheers - its nice to be able to contribute something for all the support and advice I am getting myself.

Best of Luck with that - no uphills in first 4/5k, so myabe push a bit more at beginning, give me a shout if you see me #41.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey guys, i'm running tomorrow too. Afterwards if any of you want to meet, usually a group meet in Ryans pub on Parkgate st. I'm assuming that will happen tomorrow as well. I'll be there anyway for a while! :D

Good luck to everyone running this, it will be great to feel the race atmosphere and try and push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone and see what you can do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Good luck to everyone in the 5 miler tomorrow! I have a half marathon at 6.30pm tonight but woke up this morning feeling dreadful - sore ears, throat, the works - l am still going though, I'm hoping the race adrenaline will see me through but I'll just plod slowly round if I feel really bad. I have been really looking forward to it but now just want it over :o

Got my race number for DCM 13561 - so exciting!!! Hopefully I'll be fighting fit and feeling good on Oct 29....

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised at how close the race adrenaline will take you on the day. Give it a go anyway. :)
    I hope so, I'm running 41-42min 8ks in training, hoping to get sub 40 tomorrow.

Advertisement