Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Duzzie wrote: »
    I hope so, I'm running 41-42min 8ks in training, hoping to get sub 40 tomorrow.

I'd say you should get your 40 min easily :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If 41-42 min 8k runs are easy pace for him rather than giving it loads, then he's more likely to be in the 35-37 min range for a race...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Cheers - its nice to be able to contribute something for all the support and advice I am getting myself.

Am also in the 5 mile tomorrow but 40 min is out of reach for me. When I started running back in January I had set myself a 40min goal for the 5 mile but I'm not quite as fast as I would have liked to be. Have completed the exact course in 48 min whilst training a few weeks back so anything below that will be a good run and new pb for me.

You're well prepared so, training the course should help. One could be tipping along nicely thinking they're pace is grand only to meet a hill which upsets plans whereas you'll know what to expect and when you need to dig in.

I've a feeling we could be crossing the line closer together than you think! I'm setting myself a goal I'll really really have to push for but if I set a soft one I wouldn't get as much satisfaction from it. Good luck with the PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, i know you have all set yourself times for tomorrow but its a really crowded event and it doesn't thin out until you get up the S bends.

So be patience if you keep running into the back of others or feel bottled in, esp going down the Kybher. Just keep tipping away and space will appear going up the Upper Glen road and thats when you can make some progress. If ye go out too fast, it will feel like a long drag home even though its not that bad.

Best of luck to ye all.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Folks, i know you have all set yourself times for tomorrow but its a really crowded event and it doesn't thin out until you get up the S bends.

So be patience if you keep running into the back of others or feel bottled in, esp going down the Kybher. Just keep tipping away and space will appear going up the Upper Glen road and thats when you can make some progress. If ye go out too fast, it will feel like a long drag home even though its not that bad.

Best of luck to ye all.

Them S bends are on mile 4 and upper glen road on mile 5! Thats a long time to be waiting for it to thin out. Thanks, wouldn't have been expecting that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

If 41-42 min 8k runs are easy pace for him rather than giving it loads, then he's more likely to be in the 35-37 min range for a race...
    I think 35-37 will be a bit out of my range but as it's my first proper race, I'm not sure what to expect. Last thing I want to do is go out too fast and blow up towards the end or do myself an injury, plus as others have said the crowds may well have in impact on peoples paces. It'll be an experience however it goes but it is only a stepping stone to my ultimate goal at the end of October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Trampas wrote: »
    still icing and popping the happy pills for my foot.

Place which is sore is at times is outside of left foot just below the bone where the fibula and foot meet.
    Hope you heal quickly. At least its at the start and you have plenty of time to get back into it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Good luck to everyone running the 5 miler tomorrow. Won't make it unfortunately, somehow even sorrier to be missing the post race pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck to those of you running the 5mile in the morning, not doing it myself cause of reasons mentioned above. Looking forward to reading about loads of PB runs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Am running 5 mike tomorrow too, good luck to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Trampas

Foot all strapped up and can't feel any pain which is good I think.

I will be there tomorrow as other half is running so will make a last min decision.

So what is everyone up to tonight.

Feet up infront of the tv for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Trampas wrote: »
    Foot all strapped up and can't feel any pain which is good I think.

I will be there tomorrow as other half is running so will make a last min decision.

So what is everyone up to tonight.

Feet up infront of the tv for me.

Just had a beer after a hard day at work, better leave it at one I think! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    you can stop at one?

shivDCM wrote: »
    Deedee2012 wrote: »
    you can stop at one?

I know, it's amazing the effect this running lark is having on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You'd be surprised at how close the race adrenaline will take you on the day. Give it a go anyway. :)

Will be giving it a good go alright :)
    SnailsPace wrote: »
    Best of Luck with that - no uphills in first 4/5k, so myabe push a bit more at beginning, give me a shout if you see me #41.

I will be sporting a brand new #609 myself ! Anyone who spots me by all means say hi !
    Younganne wrote: »
    Hey guys, i'm running tomorrow too. Afterwards if any of you want to meet, usually a group meet in Ryans pub on Parkgate st. I'm assuming that will happen tomorrow as well. I'll be there anyway for a while! :D

Good luck to everyone running this, it will be great to feel the race atmosphere and try and push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone and see what you can do!!!

Ah that's a complete pisser - would have loved to have met up to put some faces to the names. Unfortunately I am literally running from the finish to a quick shower and then onto work. Could not wrangle a day off - late start was best I could do. :(
    miguelk wrote: »
    You're well prepared so, training the course should help. One could be tipping along nicely thinking they're pace is grand only to meet a hill which upsets plans whereas you'll know what to expect and when you need to dig in.

I've a feeling we could be crossing the line closer together than you think! I'm setting myself a goal I'll really really have to push for but if I set a soft one I wouldn't get as much satisfaction from it. Good luck with the PB.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map12_5mile.pdf

If you're not aware of them the hills on the back half of the course will destroy your time / morale etc. You really would need to carry a bit of spare time into it. The first half mile is slightly uphill - then it's two miles of downhill (with the last half mile quite a sharp descent) then it's nearly as sharp a hill up to the 3 mile mark. Then comes another descent before what I feel is a worse climb starting just before mile 4. It's not as steep as the first sharp hill but it goes on and on - you think you can see the top of it but when you get there you realise there is still a bit more to go. Then you get to the top and realise you were wrong again it's still going :D Levels off to a very minor incline you'd hardly notice but that's a little over a mile of a climb. The last 3rd of a mile to the finish is flat / slightly downhill again.

So anyone not familiar with the course will be streets ahead of their goal times for the first half of the race but there is enormous potential for the wheels to come off after that for those not expecting it.

As for yourself - I think you're absolutely right to set the hard goal. This will be my first proper race trying to run at a faster pacer than training etc. Who knows what will happen ? I'm coming off a 48 min 16 sec PB in training which I did push for at the time but I'm confident I can push a bit harder and take that down a bit. If I came in under 45 I'd be very very happy. If I spot you anywhere near the start will try hang onto you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Duzzie wrote: »

That's for that, very useful, have done hills in training, hope it's enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck to all of us in the novice thread doing the 5 miler tomorrow. If its your first race, don't be too nervous, take it all in and enjoy the experience. I'm number 581 if anyone sees me please say hello..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

So JEALOUS!!!! Raging I live out in the sticks:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from my first half marathon and was delighted to finish in 2.02...I had been feeling crap all day and deliberated if I should even go to the thing but now I'm so glad I went! It was a tough enough course with miles 3, 4 and 5 being an uphill climb the whole way, I lost sight of the 2 hr pacers during this climb so thought my chances of coming in anywhere near the 2 hr mark were gone. But somehow I got into the groove of it around mile 7 and felt pretty comfortable the rest of the way...can't believe I've done a half marathon after only a few months training - really can't wait for DCM now!!! I'm only planning one more race, another HM in a month or so, then just stick with the training plan til the big day.

Enjoy the 5 miler tomorrow guys, I'm looking forward to starting my weekend with 2 rest days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Runchick wrote: »
    Just back from my first half marathon and was delighted to finish in 2.02...I had been feeling crap all day and deliberated if I should even go to the thing but now I'm so glad I went! It was a tough enough course with miles 3, 4 and 5 being an uphill climb the whole way, I lost sight of the 2 hr pacers during this climb so thought my chances of coming in anywhere near the 2 hr mark were gone. But somehow I got into the groove of it around mile 7 and felt pretty comfortable the rest of the way...can't believe I've done a half marathon after only a few months training - really can't wait for DCM now!!! I'm only planning one more race, another HM in a month or so, then just stick with the training plan til the big day.

Enjoy the 5 miler tomorrow guys, I'm looking forward to starting my weekend with 2 rest days :D

Congrats Runchick, thats a great time and its great to get a race under your belt to help with the confidence...you knock some time of that too with all the training you will be doing....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good luck in the 5 miler fellow novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

corny wrote: »
    Good luck in the 5 miler fellow novices.

I'm sad i'm not in the country to do this! Going to do my 8 miles tomorrow hopefully. Good luck to all running it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Trampas

Having breakfast while icing the foot in preparation for the 5 miler.

Haven't had any pain since I got proper tape to tape the foot up so I am looking at that as a positive.

Will change the tape before I got so hopefully no pain when I do that.

Plan to be in the park for 9 to get somewhere to park as you never know where you will end up parking and how long a walk/jog to startline.

I'll be heading straight home after the run to ice the foot so will miss the pub.

Good luck all and will look forward to reading the success stories after it

If you're not aware of them the hills...

...:p

Thanks a million for that,I would've handled a hill or two but this "neverending" hill may have broken me!

En route now,gonna be there too early but I'd rather just get there and get the bag checked in and warmed up and to the line in good time etc.

Won't be hanging around after, got to get back to the family so I'll save the boozing and meeting a few of you for a bigger landmark race. Best of luck!

Actually my number is 850, got it wrong in an earlier post...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

There will be some chat on here after this 5 miler!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I'm a bit late coming into this but have been out running nonetheless. If Im starting the HH Novice 1 program where should I be jumping in? Been running before so I should be able for it. Thanks in advance

zooming wrote: »
    There will be some chat on here after this 5 miler!!!

There sure will. Got my 39.xx. Delighted. Great experience. Will post a bit more later when I'm home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alanm

Just home, I see from their FaceBook page, you can check you time on: this page I finished in 36:48 - delighted! About a minute faster than I thought I could do :)

I was expecting a t-shirt in the goodie bag, but didn't get one, was I unlucky or did other people miss out too?

Advertisement