Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Just got in myself, the weather was terrible to get there and get home from but was lovely all through the race, really enjoyed everything about this morning even the race itself, came home at 36:35 which is a full 2 minutes and 8 seconds better then what I did in the Terenure 5mile

Alanm i didnt notice on the Facebook page a lady had a similar complaint so I wreckon if you email them you may get one.

Loved the goody bag too, handy little bag for all me stuff now for the 10mile... the facebook tracker thing is very good too, I think the winner Gary O'Hanlon is only recovering from a serious accident thats some recovery!! Fair play, dying to hear other race reports now, Hope all did well

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Got there in loads of time, first time experiencing a race atmosphere and it was odd....like a music festival except...sober.

Got a good 1.5 mile warm up done nice and early and made my way to the start line with 25 minutes to spare. Met a guy from my locality and also he warned me not to keep something in the tank for the second half of the race and if I had anything left let it out over the last mile or so.

Miles 1, 2 and 3
    Was expecting much worse crowding. Started in the last quarter of wave one as aiming to beat 40 mins. Once I got past the start line there was plenty of room, you just had to keep your eyes peeled. Kept an eye on the watch and held back my pace to 8 min/mile roughly. To be honest i was second guessing myself as everyone was passing me out! Was on time for my goal, but the hills were coming...

Miles 4 and 5.
    Felt like I had a bit in the tank so in mile 4 powered up the hills and quickened the pace. Was passing a lot of tired legs at this stage and I was glad I heeded PM's advice! Same for mile 5 - pushed on another bit, prob a bit early but finished strong.

Clock time was 39.4X, I'd say I'll hit 39.2X when the results are out.

Garmin link

Edit:chip time 39:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Hope the 5 milers enjoyed the Phoenix Park this morning. I clocked 47:05 which seems slow compared to the results reported back so far. I'm happy enough consider the hills.... Need to incorporate more in my training going forward. How fabulous is the park looking in the full bloom of summer?! Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

with my foot strapped up like a mummy I ran it in 41.01 on the official time.

Even though in clocks it was 41min dead.

God dam seconds.

Garmin was 41.04 and distance was 8.09km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Trampas wrote: »
    with my foot strapped up like a mummy I ran it in 41.01 on the official time.

Even though in clocks it was 41min dead.

God dam seconds.

Garmin was 41.04 and distance was 8.09km.

Your chip time might save you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great running there people, my report is here if anyone wants to read it, Garmin time 40.09:D, i have no access to FB at the moment so will check it out later....Went to Ryans, it doesn't open till 12. Sorry if anyone went down and found it still locked up.....I went in a 12 and stayed till 12.30 and then had to leave...next time people, we'll get to meet!!!

Chip time 40.06!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

My race was ok...bout 47 - which is 3 mins slower than my PB. However,up to this week I hadn't ran in about 2 months so I'm happy enough...Looking forward to the Fingal 10k where I reckon if I follow the training plan I should come close to my PB.

As always I enjoyed the buzz of the race....My medium t-shirt is a bit tighter than in past years though...but maybe I should use that as motivation :D

Well done to everyone on here.....some amazingly quick novices! Fair play!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Much less crowded than last year. Although maybe being the last person in Wave 1 across the line helped. It was great having nobody passed me for a change.

First 4/5k was great - no uphills, then felt a bit ropey from the waterstation onwards. Plenty of encouragement from other runners, although very few spectators considering the weather. I thought it was well organised, nice t-shirts if a fraction tighter than last years.

Very enjoyable and most important a new PB. This was one of my first ever races last year and I did it in 43mins, but this year managed 38:5x.

Happy days!!

Garmin Link

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

34.19 for me today avg pace 6.50 per mile, happy enough even though it was over 30secs off my pb. Going into the race i knew the second half of the course was tough and that a pb would not happen for me today. Quite an enjoyable race and it was good craic and plenty of banter despite the heavy showers. well done to all that ran today especially if today was your first race.

I'm a bit late coming into this but have been out running nonetheless. If Im starting the HH Novice 1 program where should I be jumping in? Been running before so I should be able for it. Thanks in advance

Weeks 1 is the current week we are on... the plan is for 3x3m with 6m LSR this weeked...what have you run so far this week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just home. I had been hoping to do it in 40mins but ended up doing it in 43mins. The toughest part for me was the congestion in the first 1-1.5miles. This was my first proper race so I'm not used to running with others, which meant I found it difficult to settle into a steady pace. I think this knocked me a bit and I had a mini blow up on the Upper Glenn Road, I found the last 2 miles quite tough going.

I have to remind myself that just 6 months ago I wouldn't have been able to run 100m let alone 5 miles and I was 3 stone heavier than I am now. So compared to where I was 6 months ago, I have to be happy where I'm at now, although I am a bit disappointed not to have been quicker this morning.

Still onwards and upwards towards the Fingal 10k on 22nd July.

Younganne wrote: »
    great running there people, my report is here if anyone wants to read it, Garmin time 40.09:D, i have no access to FB at the moment so will check it out later....Went to Ryans, it doesn't open till 12. Sorry if anyone went down and found it still locked up.....I went in a 12 and stayed till 12.30 and then had to leave...next time people, we'll get to meet!!!

For the 10 mile and half races, there'll be a major Boards presence in Ryan's, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Your chip time might save you. :)

chip was 41.01

6km - 7km was my slowest but I was passing people up the glen but I thought I was running faster than I was.

1st corner was a bit tight with some people cutting the corner.

I even saw people running on the top of the mounds on the back road and even one person fell. Why run on them I never know.

Just as I turned at magazine to start the journey home people stopped to play with their ipods. I was :eek: I don't run races with music as like to soak up the atmosphere but each to their own.

Could have ran a few seconds faster but I was holding myself back down the kyber as I knew what was ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Just back from my first LSR. I managed to squeeze it in between the heavy showers:) I ran 6.5 miles as it's a loop. I felt great for the first 4 miles and had to force myself to keep to 10.30 mpm but by the time I got to Mile 5 I was lucky to be running within the 10.30.

Delighted to have finished my first official LSR:D. The outside of my left knee was niggling a bit but I know its my illotibial band waring me to stretch well after the run. Yes, I hear you loud and clear. The foam roller will be out tonight.

Well done to everyone who ran today. Ye clocked some fantastic times..fair play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Managed 36.24 in the Five Mile. Very pleased with that as I wasn't sure how I would feel after a minor bit of surgery last weekend.

Enjoyed the race, even the hills were fun & managed a sprint finish neck and neck with another fella which shaved a few seconds off both our times no doubt.

Haven't run all week apart from today so I'll head out for an LSR tomorrow, hopefully in the Phoenix park again.

Well done to all, especially if it was your first race...great atmosphere eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Well that was my first ever race and I have to say I really enjoyed it, very good organisation and a relaxed atmosphere. Reminded me of a music festival really :)

Made the mistake of starting in the middle of the 50min+ wave.. It felt like I was weaving in and out of walkers for the first 2-3 miles.. not fun. My phone crapped out on me too so I had no idea what pace I was going. Managed to finish under 50 mins chip time anyway so I was very happy with that. Am I correct in saying my wave's finish time printed in the paper will be chip time plus 9 minutes or so? Doesn't seem so fair

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Did the 5 mile and found it very very hard! Think maybe my upped mileage for marathon training is taking its toll!

Interestingly my Garmin (forerunner 305) gave me 40.00, but I just checked my time on www.dublinmarathon.ie and my official chipped time is 39.36! How weird is that?!

Needless to say I'm going with the chip time as this is 3 seconds faster than last year ;)

Did anyone else get weird times?

I now need to build more hills into my training, I found this course very very hard.

PS Gary O'Hanlon (the winner) is our coach at Dunboyne AC - he's an amazing runner and a really great guy - it's brilliant to see him winning these races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

sweep22 wrote: »
    Well that was my first ever race and I have to say I really enjoyed it, very good organisation and a relaxed atmosphere. Reminded me of a music festival really :)

Made the mistake of starting in the middle of the 50min+ wave.. It felt like I was weaving in and out of walkers for the first 2-3 miles.. not fun. My phone crapped out on me too so I had no idea what pace I was going. Managed to finish under 50 mins chip time anyway so I was very happy with that. Am I correct in saying my wave's finish time printed in the paper will be chip time plus 9 minutes or so? Doesn't seem so fair

The time that appears in the paper is your chiptime, the time it took you to run your race.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Did the 5 mile and found it very very hard! Think maybe my upped mileage for marathon training is taking its toll!

Interestingly my Garmin (forerunner 305) gave me 40.00, but I just checked my time on www.dublinmarathon.ie and my official chipped time is 39.36! How weird is that?!

Needless to say I'm going with the chip time as this is 3 seconds faster than last year ;)

Did anyone else get weird times?

I now need to build more hills into my training, I found this course very very hard.

PS Gary O'Hanlon (the winner) is our coach at Dunboyne AC - he's an amazing runner and a really great guy - it's brilliant to see him winning these races.

I was up training with ye a few weeks ago, legs are in shreds after 2 marathons in a month but I'll be back soon, great session and great crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Hi did 48.33, I took it a bit too easy, I wasn't familiar with the course but a lot of people told me the last two miles were hilly, I took it very handy to keep something in the tank for the hills, got to the 400 metre to go mark and was still thinking where is the hill? Ran flat out for the last bit. It's very hilly where I live, a lot harder than today. So a couple of things learned from my first race experience, 1. Be familiar with course and 2. Don't start too far back, was in the last wave and it was a bit crowded I found it hard to pass around people and there were loads walking to get around, all in all though I had a great morning, am looking forward to the next one already, well done to all the marathon novices who ran it, onwards and upwards! Dee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mccarti4

Had a good day got around in 47.07. Considering I ran the Docklands 8k in 51mins a week and a half ago I'm very pleased. Think I had my first real experience of actually being able to stop focusing 100% on every single step and just enjoyed it (if that makes any sense!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

To be honest guys and gals I can't help but feel slightly disapointed with todays run although overall I am happy - if that makes any sense ! I'm the sort of person who calls a spade a spade as the old expression goes so I'm not going to discard the bad completely.

I had a good start to the day. Up early for breakfast and feeling good. My wife and 6 year old daughter accompanied me to the race - they dropped me off and went in search of parking which they found on the left hand side of the north road just before we turned right to head towards the popes cross. They got a great spot parked facing onto and just beside the road which meant they could sit in the car and see me run by before heading for the finish line. You may have seem my little one with her head sticking up out of the sun roof cheering everyone on. smile.gif

My unofficial PB for this was 48:19 (but that needs to be reviewed - will get to that later !!) As mentioned in previous posts I wanted to beat this and would be going out as hard and fast as I could.

I joined wave 2 - 40-50 min expected time which is where I should have been. However there were clearly people in this wave who shouldn't have been anywhere near it. I was navigating around walkers before we got to the mile 1 marker and I found the congestion all the way to the bottom of the kyber to have cost me time. Now that said I was still running at a pace that was pushing myself so I can't blame the crowd too much on losing time.

Being familiar with the route I knew I would be hitting the hills in the second half of the race. I actually needed to walk a bit on the second big hill which was a bit disappointing but any time lost there was made up for in the quicker starting pace. Endomondo gave me a PB for the first 5K of 26:55 - a 1:29 improvement on previously tracked runs. I was well ahead of my previous personal best splits on the route and very happy to be. However there was a bit of a kick in the teeth to come.

My Endomondo app hit 8K / 5 Miles well before the finish line frown.gif I knew something was up when I saw the 400 metres to go sign in the distance even though I felt like I had ran 800-900 metres since the last buzz in my ear told me 7K had passed. I threw off my headphones at that stage and went for the finish line with everything I had left not wanting to rely on Endomondos timing if it was off. I wasn't sure of my actual time until I checked the results later on and it wasn't as good as I thought.

My official time for the race was 47:10 which is still a 1 minute 9 second shaving off my PB.

However this PB was based on Endomondos tracking of the same course and appears to have been short. I know apps like this can be off especially when zig zagging aorund crowds etc giving you distance that you haven't acutally covered but it was still a shock to see how far off it was for this race (and indeed in training) I was half expecting to see a few posts about course length but in the absence of them have to accept my app was wrong.

Endomondo clocked me at 45:49 for 8K which was a 2:15 improvement on the same 8k it tracked in 48:04 for my previous PB. (I don't have exact 5 mile figures but can't imagine I would have lost too much on the few metres over 8k making 5 miles)

So my bottom line is this:

Officially a 1:09 improvement which is where the disappointment comes in. I ran a fast for me pace which deserved more than 1 minutes improvement. Realisically though the improvement was more like 2:15 - the issue being my previous PB was not accurate. If I had come on here with a 2:15 improvement off my old PB I'd have been very happy so I am taking it on the chin that I wasn't as fast as I had previously thought and keeping myself happy with the realistic improvement.

Interestingly enough I noticed an anamoly in the results according to TDL. I apparently placed in the top half of men (1435 of 3619) yet in the bottom half overall (2618 of 4046 on chip time and 2185 of 4046 on gun time) That makes no sense. If there were 3619 men that would have left only 427 women in the field which I'm fairly certain there was a lot more. Even if every woman out there beat me home (which a lot did to be fair biggrin.gif) that could still only drop me back to 1872nd place at worst so something is wrong with the results.

In summary I've had a good day. My little one saw Daddy out running (and even made me a special medal too smile.gif) No matter what way I look at it I've had an improvement time wise - and compared to 6 months ago I'm light years ahead. Attention now turns to marathon training for October but I will definitley be back for another crack at my sub 40 5 mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I ran 43mins
    i havnt actually improved since the great ireland run which when calculated out works out the same time as today to the very second which is coincidental. im wondering why i havnt improved when ive increased my training days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

rasher_m wrote: »
    I ran 43mins
    i havnt actually improved since the great ireland run which when calculated out works out the same time as today to the very second which is coincidental. im wondering why i havnt improved when ive increased my training days.

Just wasn't your day maybe. It can happen. You cross the line and you're left scratching your head wondering how in the name of Jesus you couldn't run faster.:) There's always next time.

By the sounds of it i might have enjoyed today. It was ridiculously overcrowded last year so gave it a miss. Got my 10 mile LSR in without being pissed on which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Endomundo clocked me at 45:49 for 8K which was a 2:15 improvement on the same 8k it tracked in 48:04 for my previous PB. (I don't have exact 5 mile figures but can't imagine I would have lost too much on the few metres over 8k making 5 miles)

So my bottom line is this:

Officially a 1:09 improvement which is where the disappointment comes in. I ran a fast for me pace which deserved more than 1 minutes improvement. Realisically though the improvement was more like 2:15 - the issue being my previous PB was not accurate.

Well done on your PB today, like you i used to use Endomundo to track all my runs. Was lucky enough that Santi brought me a Garmin last Xmas. First run with it was a familiar route for me and when done checked it against Endomundo, Garmin route nearly half mile longer than Endomundo. All the routes i normally run are longer on Garmin than Endomundo. If you rely on feedback from your runs, get yourself a Garmin. While not 100% accurate, way better than phone apps. Bet your little girl is very proud of her Daddy though.Sorry to hear it messed up your race that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Ran 45m02sec, slightly slower (40 secs) than a 5 mile I did 2 weeks ago, but that was flat , so happy enough with time today.

Great breakdown of results here http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/index.php - use drop down box on left hand side. This will give you category breakdowns too. I keep all my race info in an excel spreadsheet (nerd :D ) - race date, distance, chip time, place overall, place by gender, place by age bracket. Will be great comparing same races next year to see the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done on your PB today, like you i used to use Endomundo to track all my runs. Was lucky enough that Santi brought me a Garmin last Xmas. First run with it was a familiar route for me and when done checked it against Endomundo, Garmin route nearly half mile longer than Endomundo. All the routes i normally run are longer on Garmin than Endomundo. If you rely on feedback from your runs, get yourself a Garmin. While not 100% accurate, way better than phone apps. Bet your little girl is very proud of her Daddy though.Sorry to hear it messed up your race that way.

I switched to Garmin in April, had been using Nike+ app with GPS on my ipod touch. Seems the Nike app overestimates distances too- was a half mile out on a run I did last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

sassyj wrote: »
    Ran 45m02sec, slightly slower (40 secs) than a 5 mile I did 2 weeks ago, but that was flat , so happy enough with time today.

Great breakdown of results here http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/index.php - use drop down box on left hand side. This will give you category breakdowns too. I keep all my race info in an excel spreadsheet (nerd :D ) - race date, distance, chip time, place overall, place by gender, place by age bracket. Will be great comparing same races next year to see the differences.

Somethings off with the results.

Total results 4046

Any mens result has a gender position xxx of 3610
    Any ladies result has a gender position xxx of 2632

Thats 6242 people. :confused:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    For the 10 mile and half races, there'll be a major Boards presence in Ryan's, guaranteed.

Good cause i felt like a bit of a plonker the only person in the pub...just as well i wasn't drinking alcohol:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

sassyj wrote: »

Cool link, thanks. 304 overall position for me :D:D

Advertisement