Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Had a good day. finished in 45:59 chip time. was happy enough, was aiming for sub 45 as I did 45:06 in Docklands 8k in 45:06 a few weeks ago. But knew today would be tougher, more hills and although crowding wasnt too bad did spend the first mile ducking in and out of people and getting stuck behind them. Anyway was a good race, will miss 10k but on with the training and 10 mile in August. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done to everyone who did the 5 miler today. Was great reading all your race reports. Dead jealous though:pWould have loved to have been there. All set for my 10mile LSR tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corkmom

Hi, This is a big moment...i am ready to commit to this unkown journey of training for my first marathon. I have been running with about 4 years and have completed 3 half marathons and a 15 mile race. I ran a 10km last night, just less than 50mins. The dream is 1. get to the start,2. get to the finish 3. sub 4hours is the dream- all of course depending on how things go with the training...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

I noticed yesterday ine the 5 miler that some people like to sprint -> walk -> sprint -> walk and repeat until finished.

Can I ask what is the point of that. Would they not try and learn how to run at a pace they don't need to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Younganne wrote: »
    Weeks 1 is the current week we are on... the plan is for 3x3m with 6m LSR this weeked...what have you run so far this week ?

I have run 5K 7k and 10K this week can I jump in to week two?

• Advertisement

Just back from my 10 mile run. Great morning for a run and happy to say I really enjoyed it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

On my way to yoga class this morning, hope to get a good stretch on after yesterdays long run. Really enjoyed it,despite the rain near the end. Made the warm shower when I got in all the nicer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

My first time ever taking part in a race. I played a lot of sport over the years, in the last few years I have been concentrating on the gym and I probably have a little bit too much muscle for my frame for this type of thing so I was a little worried - I had done no real training apart from weight training before the race.

But, it was amazing I ran free without any aches and pains and with 1.5k to go thought "woah you're not dead" I put the hammer down and ran 36.15. I had expected 40ish so was chuffed but looking back I should have pushed abut harder through 4,5 and 6.

SO I realised that a 36 min run in the rain gave me so much more satisfaction than any gym session has in the last 5 years

I may have the bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

11 mile LSR run done 9:16 min/miles not bad at all.... some weekend of running, Time to vegitate on the couch Ive earned it... Week 2 done and dusted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi everyone

Next weeks sheet is ready to go for our tracker at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=5

If you're new to the group and want to take part in the tracking all you need to do is fill in your name in one of the new joiner slots and use that line to enter your runs this week (if you have details of your last two weeks runs you can also enter them in the appropriate sheet) I will then move your entries into the main slot for you.

Could I just ask everyone filling it in to only fill in the columns for the individual days. The sheet itself will automatically calculate your total mileage / kilometres for the week and in total so far. A couple of members filled in the total mileage themselves which although looks the same, causes problems when we move into the next week as the formula for calculating that weeks mileage has been replaced.

Unfortunately googledocs does not allow for locking individual cells like the way excel does :( so we're relying on everyone to be careful. :)

Also - the days of the week columns needs to be a number only - (any text throws up an error message in the formula) If you want to note a days cross training etc this can be mentioned in the comments section of the week. (Your comment can be as long as you like - the line will expand to take it in)

• Advertisement

I've signed up for the 5mile Donadea trail race. My first chipped race! Anyone else doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Trampas wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday ine the 5 miler that some people like to sprint -> walk -> sprint -> walk and repeat until finished.

Can I ask what is the point of that. Would they not try and learn how to run at a pace they don't need to walk.

Lots of people don't invest any time in learning about running, the first thing I learned was that slower = longer, leave them to it, they'll eventually join the dots but those who train and race smart will be streets ahead when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Hi everyone

Next weeks sheet is ready to go for our tracker at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=5

If you're new to the group and want to take part in the tracking all you need to do is fill in your name in one of the new joiner slots and use that line to enter your runs this week (if you have details of your last two weeks runs you can also enter them in the appropriate sheet) I will then move your entries into the main slot for you.

Could I just ask everyone filling it in to only fill in the columns for the individual days. The sheet itself will automatically calculate your total mileage / kilometres for the week and in total so far. A couple of members filled in the total mileage themselves which although looks the same, causes problems when we move into the next week as the formula for calculating that weeks mileage has been replaced.

Unfortunately googledocs does not allow for locking individual cells like the way excel does :( so we're relying on everyone to be careful. :)

Also - the days of the week columns needs to be a number only - (any text throws up an error message in the formula) If you want to note a days cross training etc this can be mentioned in the comments section of the week. (Your comment can be as long as you like - the line will expand to take it in)

I think there's a mistake, for me anyway. The column for total distance covered since week 0 (in miles) is showing last weeks kms instead of the miles. And that's making the last column show wrong figures too.

I think there's a mistake, for me anyway. The column for total distance covered since week 0 (in miles) is showing last weeks kms instead of the miles. And that's making the last column show wrong figures too.

Looks ok from what I can see :confused:

Week 0 (starting 18th june) you logged 8.91, 4.4, 8.82 and 4.42 km for a total of 16.5 miles (26.55 km)

Week 1 (starting 25th June ie last week) you logged 8 and 8 km for a total of 9.94 miles (16.00km)

After Week 1 your total to date is 26.44 miles / 42.55 kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 2 :D

Week 2 Hal Higdon Novice 1 Marathon Training Plan

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday
    Rest |3m / 5km| 3m / 5km with 5 x 100m Strides* | 3m / 5km | Rest | Cross | LSR - 7m / 11km

This is almost a repeat of last week,...just 1m extra in the LSR, Remember slow and steady

Any questions, just ask!!

Training for a marathon is hard work. There will
    be no success without getting the miles into your
    legs. The real difference is between following a
    system and following a system that works

Looks ok from what I can see :confused:

Week 0 (starting 18th june) you logged 8.91, 4.4, 8.82 and 4.42 km for a total of 16.5 miles (26.55 km)

Week 1 (starting 25th June ie last week) you logged 8 and 8 km for a total of 9.94 miles (16.00km)

After Week 1 your total to date is 26.44 miles / 42.55 kilometres.

Sorry my bad, I got confused because I've only filled in week 0, did someone else put some distances in for me in week 1? Anyway I can add/edit distances for week 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Had to rest up mid-week cos of niggly leg problem - was gonna have a lazy Sunday evening watching TV but the thought of having crap mileage on the spreadsheet compared to everyone else motivated me to get out for a run so thanks everyone :)

P.S. If anyone can recommend a good Physio in Dublin area let me know as wanna find source of problem now before gets worse

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

a few photos up of the race yesterday on racepix

managed to get one of my ugly mug :D:D

http://www.racepix.com/PP5Mile2012/racephotos/760/photo/166/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

FiiFii wrote: »
    Had to rest up mid-week cos of niggly leg problem - was gonna have a lazy Sunday evening watching TV but the thought of having crap mileage on the spreadsheet compared to everyone else motivated me to get out for a run so thanks everyone :)

P.S. If anyone can recommend a good Physio in Dublin area let me know as wanna find source of problem now before gets worse

Where are you based, I know of one in D2 and one in Clontarf I can recommend

Sorry my bad, I got confused because I've only filled in week 0, did someone else put some distances in for me in week 1? Anyway I can add/edit distances for week 1?

That explains things alright - someone has entered runs for you in week 1. It's too far back on the edit chain to find out when / who may have done so. You can of course edit these / delete them as appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Did the 5 mile race on Saturday too & I'm pretty happy with my time! Was aiming to finish in 50 mins; 5 x 10 min miles would be a really good pace for me. My chip time was 49:06. :D Garmin time was also 49:06 but for 5.05 miles. I guess I did a little weaving though.
    I met a friend not long after the start & ran to 2.5 miles with him, a lot faster than I probably would have on my own. Then I let him off for the second half as I knew I couldn't keep that pace up for the hills. Slowed down a good bit then to get back to a comfortable pace & kept that going consistently til the end. Pretty happy with my run overall.
    I wouldn't have ran so far with my friend for a longer race though as I'd need to conserve my energy to get around the distance! But I know I'm well able for 5 miles at this stage.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Lots of people don't invest any time in learning about running, the first thing I learned was that slower = longer, leave them to it, they'll eventually join the dots but those who train and race smart will be streets ahead when they do.

I heard an interview with Eamon Coughlan ages ago & his advice for runners starting out was to run as slow as you can for as long as you can. Very wise words!
    I'm pretty slow (even with all the training!) but I know I'll finish ahead of the the ones who sprint past me & then struggle to even keep walking! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

sassyj wrote: »
    Where are you based, I know of one in D2 and one in Clontarf I can recommend

Hi - In Dublin South West & work in D8 but don't mind one further afield if can get evening / weekend appt. Hear stories from friends of constant visits to Physio's they found online near them but no sign of improvement so more important for me to go with one that comes highly recommended (and ideally see's a lot of runners so can take into account the marathon training) than location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi - In Dublin South West & work in D8 but don't mind one further afield if can get evening / weekend appt. Hear stories from friends of constant visits to Physio's they found online near them but no sign of improvement so more important for me to go with one that comes highly recommended (and ideally see's a lot of runners so can take into account the marathon training) than location.

Is Celbridge too far for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.portobellophysio.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Debut post. I've been hanging around A/R/T for quite a while and have decided to dive in. Will update the spreadsheet and hope this will help keep me motivated.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Connemara Half Marathon - April 2012 - 1:57

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do?
    Since Connemara
    Tues - 3 miles
    Weds - 5 miles
    Thur - 4 miles
    Sat - 6-8 miles
    Sun - bike or golf

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Would love to finish 3:59:xx - but guess 4:30 is more realistic

How many days a week can you train?
    4 days a week. Started HH Novice 2 last week.

Why are you running this marathon?
    An ambition for many years.

Bit of background
    42 year old male, married with 2 young children (3 year old and a 1 year old). Been running on and off for the last 18 months in a bid to lose weight as I was heading towards 15 stone. Followed Hal Higdon HM Novice 2 from first week of Jan in preparation for Connemara half. Down to 13.5 stone but would like to lose at least another stone before October.

Thanks for all the great tips and advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Have been to Martin Hynes in Clontarf, he's a sports and exercise rehabilitator, I wil pm his mobile as don't want to post out on public forum. I got evening appointments with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    A couple of 5k races a PB last Wednesday of 22.41
    Doing 10k's in training in about 52 mins
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do
    Hopefully not from today
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    At the moment I run 3 times a week and try to cross train twice a week ( light weights and some push up and sit ups)will try to run 4 times this week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time
    Dream would be around 4 hours realistic about 4.30 to 5 hours
    How many days a week can you train?
    4 or 5
    Why are you running this marathon?
    I like following a running plan,I'v done c25k and b210k and with the support on these boards I think I can make it to the starting line

wowzer wrote: »
    a few photos up of the race yesterday on racepix

managed to get one of my ugly mug :D:D

http://www.racepix.com/PP5Mile2012/racephotos/760/photo/166/

Looking good:D

That explains things alright - someone has entered runs for you in week 1. It's too far back on the edit chain to find out when / who may have done so. You can of course edit these / delete them as appropriate.

I can't find the link to week 1 or how to I get to it? Thanks

• Advertisement

I can't find the link to week 1 or how to I get to it? Thanks

There are buttons / tabs on the bottom of the screen. If you click on them it brings you to a new sheet. There is a seperate sheet for week 0, week 1 and week 2 at the moment.

Advertisement