Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

What do people think about when they're on their LSR's? I had the misfortune to hear Cheryl Cole's latest song on the radio yesterday before mine and it was in my head for 10 miles:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

What do people think about when they're on their LSR's? I had the misfortune to hear Cheryl Cole's latest song on the radio yesterday before mine and it was in my head for 10 miles:(

I usually get lost in my music but I also plan my menu for when I get home.... it keeps me running:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

My mind tends to wander and i solve and work out a lot of things while i'm running, i never listen to music as my roads are very narrow and i need to be able to hear traffic and its lovely to listen to nature when you're running in the country.....
    Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is everyone obsessed with the training? If I'm not running I'm wishing I was running/thinking about running/reading about running or perusing this thread. I'm boring the pants off everyone at home!! Dee

My OH and 3 kids think i'm obsessed and do nothing only talk about running......i'm banned from talking about it with the kids..except the 3yr who asks me every evening if i went for a run at lunchtime and wants to come with me at the weekends:)
    doledude86 wrote: »
    Younganne or Ray,

Was just wondering is there any threads around about marathon diets and what I should/shouldnt be eating..

Just eat the normal food that is recommended for healthy eating,

with
    • plenty of fresh fruit & veg,
    • plenty of carbs to give you energy, good carbs like wholemeal pasta, rice, noodles, cous cous especially night before a LSR or race, white carbs is good directly after above mentioned LSR/race.
    • Plenty of protein for recovery, white meat and fish and at least 2 x a week good lean red meat to keep iron levels up.
    • Dairy for calcium which is also essential
    • fats are essential for health too, just read up on good fats and bad fats
    • Limit processed foods as much as possible and try cook using natural ingredients
    • limit cakes biscuits and cakes
    • healthy snacks, like nuts & seeds
    • Drink plenty of water every day
    • Drink alcohol sensibily
    Thats just a quick summary, but a little bit of everything is good for you and having a bit of what you fancy now and again will do you no harm at all....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

How much do peoples runs differ from their actual run to the pace run to the LSR?

At this rate my speed doesn't change that much between the three. The 8 mile today I ran in 1:13 while I'd normally do a 10k in 50 minutes. So it isn't that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What do people think about when they're on their LSR's?

The mysteries of the universe.;)

Not really but the mind does wander sometimes and i end up on some strange subject matter. Actually you run best when you're not thinking about running i find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Pageant Messiah, could you add each weeks Hal Higdon training plan to the top of each weekly tab in the spreadsheet?
    Row 3 of the spreadsheet would be ideal and it would be much easier than trying to find it in the Forum Posts.

This weeks is:
    Week 2 Hal Higdon Novice 1 Marathon Training Plan

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday
    Rest |3m / 5km| 3m / 5km with 5 x 100m Strides* | 3m / 5km | Rest | Cross | LSR - 7m / 11km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I decided to do the Dublin half marathon, I'm doing about three miles a day after each week I add a extra mile to it. I am doing this 5 days a week with two days off, Anyone that could give me tips on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I decided to do the Dublin half marathon, I'm doing about three miles a day after each week I add a extra mile to it. I am doing this 5 days a week with two days off, Anyone that could give me tips on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    Wil leave the others help you but something as simple as 4x 3 miles and a 5 miles as a long run. I am off the believe you have to be running 15 in training at an easy pace to get the distance in the half. The nxt week 2 x 3 2 x 4 and a 6 or 7. Better go before I thread on toes. Be careful not to run too hard all Thr time especially as you increase miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Mccarti4 wrote: »
    Went out for run this evening and did half of it on grass (I usually just stick to the road). I found that it was actually much harder to run on the grass compared to the paved road. Just wondering if that's other peoples experience or if there's something I'm doing wrong?
    I find the same, I hate running on grass, it feels like wading through water to me.

Grass is much more forgiving on your legs and it is definitly no harm to do some of your runs on grass especially recovery runs.

Obviously you don't get the same bounce off grass as you would off a road but your also not putting the same pressure on your legs. The only run you should always do on road is your Long Run as this is to simulate race conditions and get your legs used to the surface for a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Mccarti4 wrote: »
    Went out for run this evening and did half of it on grass (I usually just stick to the road). I found that it was actually much harder to run on the grass compared to the paved road. Just wondering if that's other peoples experience or if there's something I'm doing wrong?
    I find the same, I hate running on grass, it feels like wading through water to me.

Grass is much more forgiving on your legs and it is definitly no harm to do some of your runs on grass especially recovery runs.

Obviously you don't get the same bounce off grass as you would off a road but your also not putting the same pressure on your legs. The only run you should always do on road is your Long Run as this is to simulate race conditions and get your legs used to the surface for a long period of time.
    Agree with all you said and to a certain extent the LSR. I have often done 20 or longer on grass. But when I want to run it with Pmp miles I hit the road. I find a 5 mile circuit with hills and get used to running them as DCM ain't simple from Phoenix park until halfway. So grass is the way to go. If u are managing say 9 min miles on grass when you hit the road you will feel like a Kenyan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Thanks in advance

You'd fare much better by following a set program, check out HalHigdon.com where you'll find a plan that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

npresto wrote: »
    Pageant Messiah, could you add each weeks Hal Higdon training plan to the top of each weekly tab in the spreadsheet?
    Row 3 of the spreadsheet would be ideal and it would be much easier than trying to find it in the Forum Posts.

This weeks is:
    Week 2 Hal Higdon Novice 1 Marathon Training Plan

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday
    Rest |3m / 5km| 3m / 5km with 5 x 100m Strides* | 3m / 5km | Rest | Cross | LSR - 7m / 11km

That's an excellent idea. :) I will get this done this evening - have a busy day workwise so won't get to it until then.

Thanks in advance

Darren, following a program is the best way to go about this instead of trying to just add mileage each week...

Hal higdon novice 1 is here

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Is a rest day essential after an LSR? Or could you e.g. do one of the 3 mile recoveries the day after?

I'm shifting my schedule around as weekends are hit and miss, so moving my running days to times I know I'll be free.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Is it just me or is everyone obsessed with the training? If I'm not running I'm wishing I was running/thinking about running/reading about running or perusing this thread. I'm boring the pants off everyone at home!! Dee

+++++1 I am obsessed! When is this going to wear off??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thanks in advance

Hey Darren, there should be a thread starting up for the Dublin Half as well.

Mulberry wrote: »

I imagine when you have to run over 15 miles

miguelk wrote: »
    Is a rest day essential after an LSR? Or could you e.g. do one of the 3 mile recoveries the day after?

I'm shifting my schedule around as weekends are hit and miss, so moving my running days to times I know I'll be free.

Thanks.

yes you could do that but just make sure you keep it slow to allow the legs time to recover. It will train your legs to be able to run when tired so will stand to you in the later stages of the marathon, just make sure you have at least one rest day before your LST and follow the hard, easy rule, so the current plan is tue run would be easy, wed hard, thur easy, LSR hard....make sure you dont do your LST & wed plan together

rasher_m wrote: »
    I imagine when you have to run over 15 miles

It never wears off...it just gets worse;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

miguelk wrote: »

Thanks.

Recoveries the day after your LSR are fine. your recovery run though should be even slower than your LSR pace. It might even feel like you are not moving at all but that is the purpose of them.

Perfect example I saw on twitter last week Ciaran O'Lionaird who can run a mile probably around 4 min pace or quicker did a recovery session for 50 minutes at 9 minute mile pace. This should tell us all we need to know about recovery sessions.

Most of us do them too quick, me included :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

NoelJ wrote: »
    How much do peoples runs differ from their actual run to the pace run to the LSR?

At this rate my speed doesn't change that much between the three. The 8 mile today I ran in 1:13 while I'd normally do a 10k in 50 minutes. So it isn't that different.

I'm still quite confused about what pace I should be running each run. And any reading I have done on the subject has been annoyingly vague, while still warning about potentially "undoing" good work by runnning at the wrong pace :/

Hal Higdon Novice 1 says "Training during the week should be done at a comparatively easy pace".... as should the LSR at the weekend obviously.. So when the hell am I not going 'easy'? :confused:

I tend to run anywhere between 9:00 and 11:00 per mile, but would love to have more of a structure on how fast I run for each of the four prescribed runs per week. My pace for the 5 mile race was 9:58. Can anyone advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

sweep22 wrote: »
    I'm still quite confused about what pace I should be running each run. And any reading I have done on the subject has been annoyingly vague, while still warning about potentially "undoing" good work by runnning at the wrong pace :/

Hal Higdon Novice 1 says "Training during the week should be done at a comparatively easy pace".... as should the LSR at the weekend obviously.. So when the hell am I not going 'easy'? :confused:

I tend to run anywhere between 9:00 and 11:00 per mile, but would love to have more of a structure on how fast I run for each of the four prescribed runs per week. My pace for the 5 mile race was 9:58. Can anyone advise?

I use a plan on the myasics.co.uk website for the reason that it gives you target paces to run your various runs at. Most people on here use the Hal Higdon programmes but I find the asics one suits me better.

http://my.asics.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If your 5 mile race pace is 9:58/mile then we can assume 9 min/mile indeed 10 min/mile is far from easy.

At a guess you should be doing the majority of your runs at around 12 min/mile.

Yes the HH plans can be a bit vague on pace, especially the Novice ones. The idea I guess is just to build up the miles to a point where you can get around the course. Therefore almost all your runs should be at this very easy 12+ min/mile. If you plan to run one of your short runs every fortnight a bit faster then fair enough, but plan to do it before the run. Consciously make all the other runs slow (this will help with recovery and avoiding injury).

If you are going to be doing other races during your plan then maybe leave the harder efforts to the races. Try to make the training as enjoyable as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

NoelJ wrote: »

How are your race times?
    What kind of time are you planning for the marathon?

Hi, if you go to mcmillan calculator and key in the time it takes you to race a 10km or 5 mile. It will give you results on the right and if you scroll down the bottom it tells you what times you should be running your easy/LSR runs.

Novice 1 plan is just to get you around, Novice 2 plan has a pace run in it.
    Also Anne has added strides to one of the runs.

Personally I am adding tempo runs to my training and if I feel its effecting me when the mileage gets higher then I will skip them but at the moment its ok.

I dont actually feel the tempo runs have benefited me since I started them about 5 weeks ago and my time for the 5 mile was no different to my time in April for another run.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

menoscemo wrote: »
    How are your race times?
    What kind of time are you planning for the marathon?

Well while I've never ran a proper race yet.
    In training I've done;

10k in 50 minutes
    half marathon in 2:10
    8 miles in 1:10.

So from these I've decided to go for a 4 hour marathon. I think right now I could do a 4:30 marathon That's my plan anyway and since i've only started running 3 months ago I think I can do it.

Any idea what pace for the recovery, LSR and run days I should run? right now I'm just running whatever feels natural and not majorly pushing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Mulberry wrote: »

So glad you guys feel this way, I am so obsessed and finding rest days very frustrating! My legs are tired this week as I've juggled my training schedule to fit in a wedding at the weekend, but even with the tiredness I want to get out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

went on a 3 mile run this morning before work, first time trying that (normally do evenings or mornings at weekends). found it tough enough going, would people normally have breakfast before heading out at en early hour? what kind of warm ups would you do?thanks

Great comments on here about pace, it can be confusing to know what is right for each run.

This week was the first time I've introduced the 5 x 100m strides into a run and really felt like I was doing something different, mixing it up a bit. It was a 6 mile pace run so I tried to run at at a 9 min mile pace (LSR pace is 10.10min mile) and added the faster strides. My legs feel more tired today than usual so definitely feels like a different workout. It feels like proper training now by just adding this higher intensity run. Looking forward to an easy 3 miles tonight though!

• Advertisement

went on a 3 mile run this morning before work, first time trying that (normally do evenings or mornings at weekends). found it tough enough going, would people normally have breakfast before heading out at en early hour? what kind of warm ups would you do?thanks

Hi jinxremoving I sometimes do this and actually sleep in my running gear (bar shoes;)) - I find I don't talk myself out of it that way! I grab a banana and drink some water and head straight out, no warm up - just stretch when I get back. I wake up properly after the first mile or so! Its great to get it out of the way nice and early but I agree that its tougher, I run better after a day of food and hydration...

Advertisement