Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hey all,

I'm finding all this talk about running more slow miles really fascinating and I think I'm gonna start being more aware of my pacing from now on....

Just a question though: I'm following Hal Higdon Novice 1 and as ye know today is meant to be the race pace day (for me 9 min/mi) but thinking back to yesterday that's the pace I was doing. Should I do my 3 miles today and tomorrow at a slow pace (9:40/mi) to correct this or just go ahead and do my race pace miles today as per the programme and revert back to schedule tomorrow?

Hope that makes sense!:o

There is no race pace day in Hal Hidgen Novice 1, its in the Novice 2 program

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Ah OK.

I thought Wednesday runs were always to be at race pace. That's grand so. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Had a minor "jaysus" moment today.

Was flicking through the FIT magazine they gave out at the 5 mile race and came across an article about 3 people heading for their first marathon in Dublin this year. One of the opening lines said they were all training for a marathon in "less than 20 weeks"

This may sound very silly but "less than 20 weeks" suddenly sounded an awful lot closer than the end of October. :eek:
    And now its.....less than 17 weeks:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

How do you figure out what pace you should be running each run at, the mid week and weekend runs? Or should I just do the mileage at a pace that is comfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I used the McMillan running calculator (google it!), plugged in my target of 4:00:00 for the marathon and it all comes out - handy little thing...Also shows the times I should be targeting in the upcoming 10k, 10 mile and half marathon that I'm doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

La Di Da wrote: »
    Anyone tried non-alcoholic beer as a recovery drink?!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/nonalcoholic-beer-aids-marathon-recovery/[/QUOTE]

At the end of the Berlin marathon each year they give us as much Erdinger non-alcoholic as u want!!! Dont know how much it aids recovery but its tastes great especially after last years marathon when it was farly hot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

liamo123 wrote: »
    La Di Da wrote: »
    Anyone tried non-alcoholic beer as a recovery drink?!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/nonalcoholic-beer-aids-marathon-recovery/[/QUOTE]

At the end of the Berlin marathon each year they give us as much Erdinger non-alcoholic as u want!!! Dont know how much it aids recovery but its tastes great especially after last years marathon when it was farly hot...

You can't beat it when you are being good in the build up to a big race. Never used it for recovery purposes though strictly for leisure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    rasher_m wrote: »
    That is great to know. I was wondering why I wasnt improving even though I had added two tempo runs that I never done before to my training. I will probably cut them out completely now and just do the one pace run a week which is in Hal Hidgen Novice 2.

Thx!

Yes, generally more miles = more improvement.

I trained this year for Connemara Ultra and did a few months of 70-80 miles per week. All were quite slow (8-9:30 min/mile) and during that training I took 1:30 off my 5 mile PB (33minutes - 31:30) and 14 minutes off my Marathon PB (3:24-3:10).
    After the ultra I went back to lesser miles with more speedwork and my progress has stagnated!! Now I am back in marathon mode (high miles) and I expect to start taking lots of time off all my PB's!!
    This works for me too. Plenty of long ones. Stamina stamina stamina

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

The only running I know is slow slow slow............because its the only way I run...........only time I quicken up a little is at a race even then im not too bothered........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

First time running two days in a row,could really feel it in the legs.Did the 5x100 sprints tonight and it really teaches you how to run slow:D One problem I'm starting to have though is sore nipples is anybody else having this problem :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tenreds wrote: »
    One problem I'm starting to have though is sore nipples is anybody else having this problem :o

A bit early for that with such short milage, i wouldnt start to have it until over the 10m mark, but vaseline or a plaster will rectify it no problemo!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

@tang1 congrats on a super run last night, seen your result on the south o hanlon thread.. still can't break the 20 min barrier for 5k myself. Am racing one next Wednesday so I'm gonna give it a good go then. Fair play to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

I think some of you guys should be in the advanced marathon thread lol... for me I run at the SAME pace over 3 miles, 5 miles or 10 miles.. a PB for me is not having to walk up the hills on the long runs!!
    Tee Hee, love you all!

zooming wrote: »
    I think some of you guys should be in the advanced marathon thread lol... for me I run at the SAME pace over 3 miles, 5 miles or 10 miles.. a PB for me is not having to walk up the hills on the long runs!!
    Tee Hee, love you all!

Ditto.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

wowzer wrote: »
    @tang1 congrats on a super run last night, seen your result on the south o hanlon thread.. still can't break the 20 min barrier for 5k myself. Am racing one next Wednesday so I'm gonna give it a good go then. Fair play to you..

Cheers wowzer, it was great to get that goal out of the way. Way your running sub 20 will be no bother to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mccarti4

Hey guys looking for a bit of advice. Did 3 miles on Monday and noticed my achilles was a bit sore on Tuesday morning but paid no heed to it. Went out again last night and its very sore today. Thnking of skipping the last 3 miles tonight and deferring Sundays 7 mile LSR until Monday evening while resting and iceing the hell out of it. Do you think that would be enough time to get it back in order or should I push the LSR out another day or 2?

Mccarti4 wrote: »
    Hey guys looking for a bit of advice. Did 3 miles on Monday and noticed my achilles was a bit sore on Tuesday morning but paid no heed to it. Went out again last night and its very sore today. Thnking of skipping the last 3 miles tonight and deferring Sundays 7 mile LSR until Monday evening while resting and iceing the hell out of it. Do you think that would be enough time to get it back in order or should I push the LSR out another day or 2?

Go see a physio if you can, they will give you the best advice on what to do. Resting it and putting ice on it will help, but physio is the only one who will give you an exact explanation on what maybe causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

So annoyed just found it i cant get the time off work for the 10 mile, am also going to miss 10k as I am away that weekend. Not too bothered about missing 10k but really wanted to do 10 mile as I have never raced that distance before and felt it would have been a good gauge for me. Anyway my question is I have discovered a half marathon on the 19th August in clonmel. What do those in the know think about me doing this. According to Hals novice 1 plan, that week has a half marathon for the sunday so if fits in perfectly with the plan. I was going to skip this and just follow the advice on the forum for that week as two long races in two weeks would have been a lot for a novice like me. I guess I'm just wondering do you think that the half is a good idea or should i just do the dublin half? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sheba 121 wrote: »
    The only running I know is slow slow slow............because its the only way I run...........only time I quicken up a little is at a race even then im not too bothered........:eek:

Slow/fast are completely subjective terms. One person's slow is another persons fast and vice versa. Don't feel bad if you think all your runs slow, however your training runs should still be much slower than you are capable of.

Maybe it would be better to say that you should do most of your runs 'easy'...

Mccarti4 wrote: »

I'm having the same problem with the inside of my right foot. I felt it a little sore on Sunday at the end of 3.5 miles but it was okay on Tuesday night. Then last night I had to finish the run a km early cause it was quite sore. Afterwards it was the outside of the foot that was sore as I think I was running on the outside of the foot to compensate.

I did go to physio on Monday night and he said I wasnt stretching enough and that it could possibly be my new shoes. So now I'm concerned that I'll have to miss a few runs until its better.
    I will try a slow run on grass tonight and see how I feel.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Slow/fast are completely subjective terms. One person's slow is another persons fast and vice versa. Don't feel bad if you think all your runs slow, however your training runs should still be much slower than you are capable of.

Maybe it would be better to say that you should do most of your runs 'easy'...

Easy, sounds good to me:D. I do run a little quicker in races but never top speed, or for me a speed that would put me under severe pressure. I just dont enjoy running that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Feeling a bit deflated about the whole thing this week to be honest. I think it started the weekend before last, when I had a fair bit to drink/late night/lot of travelling. I felt sluggish all last week, culminating in a very tough lsr of 12 miles, which was disappointing as I had done 13.5 miles with no problem the previous week. I was sick at the start of this week and ended up in A&E all Monday night with severe abdominal pain. I’m fine now, but missed my Tuesday run. Went for 4 miles last night and once again, felt very sluggish.

I have 6 mile pace run tonight and for the first time in a long time, I am really dreading it. I know I’ll probably be back on track in the next week or so, but just feel pretty down and disillusioned with the whole thing at the moment. I presume that having the odd bad week is par for the course? I had been doing so well and feeling great, so I want to get my mojo back asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ncmc wrote: »
    Feeling a bit deflated about the whole thing this week to be honest. I think it started the weekend before last, when I had a fair bit to drink/late night/lot of travelling. I felt sluggish all last week, culminating in a very tough lsr of 12 miles, which was disappointing as I had done 13.5 miles with no problem the previous week. I was sick at the start of this week and ended up in A&E all Monday night with severe abdominal pain. I’m fine now, but missed my Tuesday run. Went for 4 miles last night and once again, felt very sluggish.

I have 6 mile pace run tonight and for the first time in a long time, I am really dreading it. I know I’ll probably be back on track in the next week or so, but just feel pretty down and disillusioned with the whole thing at the moment. I presume that having the odd bad week is par for the course? I had been doing so well and feeling great, so I want to get my mojo back asap!
    keep with it! your right, we do all have sluggish weeks, but you know youll come out the other end of it. youve been a bit off recently, so it might be worth realxing a bit more on the distances.

time for an after run treat! take your cross trian for a swin at the beach with a good book (beach optional depending on the weather).

youre doing huge distances already, so your flying. Keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Will there be pacers at the Series half marathon in September and in the DCM? If so, what kind of intervals will there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

DCM2012 wrote: »
    Will there be pacers at the Series half marathon in September and in the DCM? If so, what kind of intervals will there be?

At the Half marathon -
    2 hours

At the full marathon -

Most of them boardsies, so introduce yourself before the start...

RayCun wrote: »
    At the Half marathon -
    2 hours

At the full marathon -

Most of them boardsies, so introduce yourself before the start...

Any idea whos pacing 3.30 Ray, see Mr Slow is doing 4hrs??

ncmc wrote: »

I have to reiterate what was already said...if you're not feeling well then lay off the extra long runs. Take it wasy and relax a bit, you're well ahead of the plan with your LSR's, you could easily take two weeks very easy and still be right on track.

This is even more important if you get badly fatiqued or are not eating well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tang1 wrote: »
    Any idea whos pacing 3.30 Ray, see Mr Slow is doing 4hrs??

It's all still provisional, but TFBubendorfer and Jackyback are pencilled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Will do, thanks!

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    It's all still provisional, but TFBubendorfer and Jackyback are pencilled in.

Thanks Ray, now to find out the piggy back capabilities of TFBubendorfer and Jackyback......

Advertisement