Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone doing the Clontarf Half Marathon in the morning... I know im sh1ting it, never ran that far before..

Best of Luck! First time doing anything over 18k for me so nerves kicking in.....Not the fastest runner either so all paranoid I'm gonna be one of the stragglers at the end:o Sure have to give these things a go or you never get better!

Hoping the rain & wind eases up overnight....... This whole run on an exposed beach lark is not quite as appealing now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »
    This is one for the girls...I went on my LSR tonight - 9 miles (HHN2 week 6) and was fine until about mile 7 when I realised I really needed the loo! Oh boy how I wished I was male at that point...I toyed with the idea of disappearing behind a hedge a few times but felt my luminous running top made me stand out too much :eek: The drink in my hand swishing about got quickly discarded and my nice easy 10.15 min mile pace was obliterated as I legged it home running the last few miles at 9.30min mile, driven by the urgency to relieve my bladder!! Oh what a relief it was to get home ;)

This is really the first time I've had this - I ran a half marathon last week without needing to go. So what do girls do, are you braver than me and just duck behind a hedge? I assume there are toilets during DCM? Are they in plenty supply or can you find yourself having to queue mid race? Hadn't thought about factoring toilet breaks in to my race plan ;)

I have to say I always try my best to go just about 10 mins before a race so I dont have to stop. I also stop drinking water about half an hour beforehand as well and reckon any drink I have during the race shouldnt effect me till I finish.

I have gone in bushes several times and behind trees, sure you see loads of women at that lark the day of the race...thats why I started that lark as well. I was running in the park with my dad one time and he even suggested I go in a bush which was a bit creepy now when I think about it ha. So lets not dwell on that.
    I have to say if I had to queue I would sooner do a Paula Radcliffe and go near the side of the road. I dont think anyone even notices or cares for that matter, its just human nature after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This is one for the girls...I went on my LSR tonight - 9 miles (HHN2 week 6) and was fine until about mile 7 when I realised I really needed the loo! Oh boy how I wished I was male at that point...I toyed with the idea of disappearing behind a hedge a few times but felt my luminous running top made me stand out too much :eek: The drink in my hand swishing about got quickly discarded and my nice easy 10.15 min mile pace was obliterated as I legged it home running the last few miles at 9.30min mile, driven by the urgency to relieve my bladder!! Oh what a relief it was to get home ;)

This is really the first time I've had this - I ran a half marathon last week without needing to go. So what do girls do, are you braver than me and just duck behind a hedge? I assume there are toilets during DCM? Are they in plenty supply or can you find yourself having to queue mid race? Hadn't thought about factoring toilet breaks in to my race plan ;)

Yep, been there done that! I have become quite adept at ducking into bushes! Luckily it hasn't happened to me on my long runs (which I run on the road) just on my shorter runs which I run in a forest near me which is normally pretty empty. Bet I've jinxed it now and will need to go on my lsr tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mrs D used to run with someone who had evidently become quite used to relieving herself whenever & wherever. One evening at training, as they stood no more than a hundred metres from the clubhouse & its facilities, she told one of the guys to move away and dropped the togs there & then. It's not easy to talk to her now without thinking of it - from that point of view Mrs. D still hasn't quite gotten over it!

There's obviously a middle ground between bursting and going just about anywhere. S'pose the moral is - if you need to go, you need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

So what do girls do, are you braver than me and just duck behind a hedge? I assume there are toilets during DCM? Are they in plenty supply or can you find yourself having to queue mid race? Hadn't thought about factoring toilet breaks in to my race plan ;)

This is my worst nightmare & always on my mind when I'm getting ready to head out! I'm ridiculously paranoid about it at this stage :o

I'm doing the vast majority of my training around the Phoenix Park, so there are a few places I guess I could head to if I was stuck. I'm definitely not brave enough for the hedge ducking, but at this year's Semi de Paris I noticed women squatting all over the place (well, along by fences / "behind" trees / barely off the route, but it was a mixed bunch!)

A couple of weeks ago I went out to do an 8m LSR and the minute I started to run I thought I had to pee, but I knew I'd been only 10 mins before I left. So carried on with the running, & once I got into the swing of it, I'd forgotten all about needing to go, & was still fine 2 hours later when I got home. :rolleyes:

I've done a couple of half-marathons & it's always a (small) worry! I suppose I don't worry about it the night before & drink plenty then. In the morning, I guess I'm a bit more careful with what I drink. I'll definitely have some water before I run though, and usually bring a small bottle with me. If I make it 80% of the way through without the need arising, I know I'll be fine! :)

When I thought of signing up for the DCM, this was the first thing to cross my mind (never mind the race distance or the training commitment...) but there are toilets at 10 locations, so hopefully you won't have to go more than 2-3 miles between them.
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_faq.php
    Where will the toilets be located? Toilets will be provided at the baggage area, a small amount will be provided in the start area. There will also be 10 locations with toilets on the route, close to the water stations.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Mrs D used to run with someone who had evidently become quite used to relieving herself whenever & wherever. One evening at training, as they stood no more than a hundred metres from the clubhouse & its facilities, she told one of the guys to move away and dropped the togs there & then.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Maybe when I'm competing in the Olympics. But definitely not before that day :o Although when I go for my Long Slow Swim tomorrow morning, I'll be in black shorts & with this rain I don't think anyone would notice some extra dampness, a la Paula Radcliffe! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Like everything else, practice makes perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

9m LSR done and dusted early this morning, felt good but the sun would be out in full force during my run and disappear as soon as i'm done! Typical!

Looking forward to a rest from running now for a couple days to recharge, week 2 down, 16 to go!

Yeah, got in my LSR today as well which is brilliant for me since im not an early bird and usually put it off until Sunday night.
    I'm going to one of the Phoenix Park gigs so reckon I wont be in a fit state to run tomorrow. Hopefully the weather we're having today will keep up till tonight at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

did a nice 7 miles this morning, sunshine all the way! surprised at how easy it felt, never thought i'd be saying that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Although running on and off for a while I can honestly say that my 7miles today was the first time I did a LongSlowRun.........

Really enjoyed it!

Could take in my surroundings, breathing was comfortable throughout and when I was finished I thought to myself how I couldn't wait to go out on my next LSR!

Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

out on beer last night so lsr tomorrow. 15km it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Headed up to Donadea today for the 5 mile trail run. It was my first race and I finished in 37:12. Absolutely thrilled with that as my fastest at home on the treadmill was 39:54. Got a lovely t-shirt and as an added bonus I was the 3rd woman home and I got 20 quid which paid my entry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Did my 7 mile LSR this morning and felt ok. I did find it hard to keep at recommended pace btwn 10.45 and 11.45. When I was concentrating on running slow I was able to do 11min mile but when I started getting lost in my thoughts I found myself running 10 min mile!!

I didn't take any water with me but drank home made energy drink (water, miwadi and pinch of salt). U knocked a pint of it back after coming in the door.
    I Didnt need loo until this eve so think I may be tad dehydrated.

When should I start bringing drink/ gel with me on my lsr?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I did my first Half Marathon in Clontarf yesterday, 1hr 54m, happy with that, combined with a 10k PB of 50mins means I reckon DCM will probably take 4:20.

Really well organised. Good value for money. The sand on dollymount is really nice to run on, wven though it slows you down by about 20secs per km.

Now, the question is how many rest days to take, as I am struggling to walk in a straight line today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bad weeks running for me, all of 13 miles. Thats the least amount of miles i've run in a week this year. Have developed severe pain in the arches of my feet when i run for some unknown reason. Rest seems to be the only way it eases off. Not my runners i know cause i've been using the same make and model for past year, with no issues till now. Ah well, ran a 5k PB this week and i'm ahead of my plan a bit so all is not lost yet i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Next weeks tracker ready to go (Will confirm the exact plan when YoungAnne posts later)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=4

I have removed anybody who had never posted in the sheet as there's no point in constantly having their names in there.

We move forward with 61 people. Quite a few have not logged this week at all but some members may not be planning to until tomorrow and cover the week in one go. I suppose we will start to lose people as the journey progresses but I hope we don't lose too many along the way. :) Anyone who has logged so far though will stay on the sheet as their total mileage ran should be counted for the group total. There is still room for new members to join if any late arrivals sign up.

Final totals for Week 1 (25th June to 1st July)
    Total mileage for the group that week: 1082.85
    Average mileage: 18.05

Current total mileage for the group (all logged runs so far including this week): 2814.50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

tang1 wrote: »
    Bad weeks running for me, all of 13 miles. Thats the least amount of miles i've run in a week this year. Have developed severe pain in the arches of my feet when i run for some unknown reason. Rest seems to be the only way it eases off. Not my runners i know cause i've been using the same make and model for past year, with no issues till now. Ah well, ran a 5k PB this week and i'm ahead of my plan a bit so all is not lost yet i suppose.

It must be the week for it. A few posters have mentioned injuries and niggles coming into play. Caught a groin strain myself and have had to rest up too. Been driven mad with a desire to run but am giving it another day before doing so. Your mileage so far has been beyond impressive. A few days rest is not going to cost you in the long term whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

9 mile LSR in the bag, that's my longest yet. I didn't go as slow as I should have. I did the first 6 with a group then continued on for the final 3. So of course did the first 6 too fast so the last three were interesting. It was worse when I stopped though!

Definitely the week for niggles, my knee was a bit sore after a fartlek session on Thursday, it was fine today while I ran but is a bit sore now, will keep a very close eye on it. Great to have second week done, was doing some mental maths in my last mile this morning and realised I'd have to nearly run this mornings run x three for the marathon, got a bit nervous then, we'll just have to trust Hal and the plan I suppose. Roll on week three!! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

I'll swap my 38miles for your sub 20 5k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

That's my mind made up, I think. I have some kind of issue with my left thigh, groin, progressing into hamstring. I was toying with the idea of trying a very slow few miles today but after reading the above posts ill rest up. I came in at week 5 last week so I have some wriggle room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

wowzer wrote: »
    I'll swap my 38miles for your sub 20 5k :D

Next Wednesday it'll come.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

First 10 mile run this morning, felt good breaking into double digits.Looking forward to the step back week that is coming

Have you thought of getting insoles?
    I've been having problems with my ankle and the balls of my feet and got insoles moulded in Elveries in Arnotts last week. Im not sure yet if its a gimmick but you have a month to try them out and if they dont work you can get your money back Im told.
    They're not cheap 46 euro I think they were.
    But if it helps with my ankle and mounts of the toes then I'll be very happy.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    9 mile LSR in the bag, that's my longest yet. I didn't go as slow as I should have. I did the first 6 with a group then continued on for the final 3. So of course did the first 6 too fast so the last three were interesting. It was worse when I stopped though!

Definitely the week for niggles, my knee was a bit sore after a fartlek session on Thursday, it was fine today while I ran but is a bit sore now, will keep a very close eye on it. Great to have second week done, was doing some mental maths in my last mile this morning and realised I'd have to nearly run this mornings run x three for the marathon, got a bit nervous then, we'll just have to trust Hal and the plan I suppose. Roll on week three!! Dee

My knee has gone from sore to painful, really annoyed, iced it for ages and will continue to do so, hopefully that and a bit of rest will sort it, if not it's off to the physio. <Snip>

Thanks Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Just a reminder folks
    [*]We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked.

ecoli wrote: »
    Mod: Just a reminder folks
    [*]We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked.

Sorry, never thought of that! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Week two done :). Went for my 9miles today. Did it in 1:15 so happy with that.

Do people bring water with them? Usually I never bring water with me but with the distances increasing I think there'll come a time I'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Next weeks tracker ready to go (Will confirm the exact plan when YoungAnne posts later)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=4

I have removed anybody who had never posted in the sheet as there's no point in constantly having their names in there.

We move forward with 61 people. Quite a few have not logged this week at all but some members may not be planning to until tomorrow and cover the week in one go. I suppose we will start to lose people as the journey progresses but I hope we don't lose too many along the way. :) Anyone who has logged so far though will stay on the sheet as their total mileage ran should be counted for the group total. There is still room for new members to join if any late arrivals sign up.

Final totals for Week 1 (25th June to 1st July)
    Total mileage for the group that week: 1082.85
    Average mileage: 18.05

Current total mileage for the group (all logged runs so far including this week): 2814.50

Whoops! I was waiting til the end of the week, didn’t realise everyone was filling in as they went along! Don’t worry, I haven’t fallen off the wagon :D

Bit of a weird week for me last week. As I said in an earlier post, I was in A&E on Monday night and was a bit tired all week. I know I probably should have rested a few days and skipped a run, but the thought of missing a run made me feel awful! So I went out on Wed, Thurs, LSR on Sat and then an easy 4 miles on Sunday. I wouldn’t normally run the day after the LSR, but it was a step back week on the HH Novice 2, so didn’t feel tired after my LSR.

I think I really need to start looking after my diet better and getting more sleep. I’ve been eating an awful lot of rubbish lately and have gotten into bad eating and sleeping habits and I think that’s why I’ve been sluggish the last couple of weeks. Have a tough week this week (4 – 7 pace – 4 and a lsr of 14) so want to make sure I am well rested and nutritionally balance for the 14 miles LSR!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 3

Mon | Tue| Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun
    Rest| 3 m/5k| 4m/6k (2m/3k @ PMP)| 3 m/5k|rest| 5 m/8k|cross|

This is a stepback week, so the long run is down to 5 miles (8k).
    But your midweek run is getting a little longer and this week you're going to do some of this run at Planned Marathon Pace - PMP.

Run the first mile (2k) at your normal speed, then speed up to PMP for the next 2 miles (3k), and then slow down again for the last mile/kilometre.

At this stage most of you don't know how fast your PMP is, so therefore start your run at the same speed you ran the previous midweek run, and go one minute per mile faster for the PMP section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

ncmc wrote: »

I think I really need to start looking after my diet better and getting more sleep. I’ve been eating an awful lot of rubbish lately and have gotten into bad eating and sleeping habits and I think that’s why I’ve been sluggish the last couple of weeks. Have a tough week this week (4 – 7 pace – 4 and a lsr of 14) so want to make sure I am well rested and nutritionally balance for the 14 miles LSR!

I found getting a bit more sleep every night has helped me feel much better, i have got to the stage where i can't keep my eyes open past about half 10/11. hope you feel better during the week!

Advertisement