Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I found getting a bit more sleep every night has helped me feel much better, i have got to the stage where i can't keep my eyes open past about half 10/11. hope you feel better during the week!

I find I am falling asleep watching tv at about 9pm, but then bright eyed and bushy tailed at 11pm when I should be heading to bed :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I am one of those people who need a lot of sleep at the best of times, so with the extra running, I really struggle if I don't get 7/8 hours a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

going to switch week 3 and 4 around in Hal Novice 2 to fit in with the DCM race in Swords next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

did a nice 7 miles this morning, sunshine all the way! surprised at how easy it felt, never thought i'd be saying that :D

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ncmc wrote: »
    I find I am falling asleep watching tv at about 9pm, but then bright eyed and bushy tailed at 11pm when I should be heading to bed :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I am one of those people who need a lot of sleep at the best of times, so with the extra running, I really struggle if I don't get 7/8 hours a night!

as the mileage creeps up, you'll find that instead of falling asleep in front of TV at 9pm, you''ll be switching if off and heading to bed and enjoying the extra few hrs sleep...and it will be needed and thats not a bad habit to get into!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Trampas wrote: »
    going to switch week 3 and 4 around in Hal Novice 2 to fit in with the DCM race in Swords next week.

Good thinking Batman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

7 mile LSR in light drizzle around the Phoenix Park today. 1 hr 16 min total. (My S is a lot S'r than most here :P)

The concerts in the park have made absolute ****e of the place. There were teams of people picking up rubbish but the damage to the ground and paths will take months to recover from.

I had sat out the last few days due to a slight groin strain. Groin seems to have held up very well but I now have a very sore left knee :mad: May have sub conciously compensated for the groin and ran awkwardly. Either way am quite fed up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

7 mile LSR in light drizzle around the Phoenix Park today. 1 hr 16 min total. (My S is a lot S'r than most here :P)

The concerts in the park have made absolute ****e of the place. There were teams of people picking up rubbish but the damage to the ground and paths will take months to recover from.

I had sat out the last few days due to a slight groin strain. Groin seems to have held up very well but I now have a very sore left knee :mad: May have sub conciously compensated for the groin and ran awkwardly. Either way am quite fed up with it.

Head up PM, maybe just an after run niggle. Ice it when you get a chance, hopefully be ok in the morning. Well done on the LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

+ 1 on the very sore left knee, I'm off to the physio tommorrow, determined to sort out my niggles sooner rather than later, which is most unlike me, I just really REALLY want to get to the start line in October. I hope your niggles clear up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

This is the same time as it took me to do the LSR of 7 miles.........delighted that their is other runners at the same speed as me.......well done......Yeah pity about the park its a mud pit........

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

There's more us of us out there. LSR of 1:17 yesterday and found it hard going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Younganne wrote: »
    as the mileage creeps up, you'll find that instead of falling asleep in front of TV at 9pm, you''ll be switching if off and heading to bed and enjoying the extra few hrs sleep...and it will be needed and thats not a bad habit to get into!!!

It does get easier I promise and you get to a stage where you wont be falling asleep in front of the telly. Having said that once you get into this nice habit you tend to like your sleep sometimes a bit too much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

zarkov wrote: »
    There's more us of us out there. LSR of 1:17 yesterday and found it hard going.

great to hear that.........(That there is more of us not that you found your run hard going) :D.

Well done it does get easier.......but also longer....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 helbelle

well im a long time lurker and love this post and have learned so much from ye already! and hope im not too late to join! signed up for DCM tonight (eek!), wanted to see how the clontarf half marathon went first before i committed for definite and it went ok(2.08), just didnt like the wind!
    i signed up last year for DCM but didnt stay committed&got distracted and i think i need the motivation of this thread. i have watched my younger sister do DCM 4 times now&each year i say ill do it.im also 30 in november and really want to do one before then!
    am on week 3 of HH novice two and finding it ok so far.
    when i get the hang of the graph thingy il post my runs.
    thanks in advance!
    [*]
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Docklannds 8k- 45:10
    Samsung 1OK-56.
    Connemara Half 1/4 (2011)- 2.05
    never was a fast runner :mad:

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Seldom

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Between three and five days a week - changes weekly&can be tricky with shift wrk, long days and nights. Usually four days and TRX twice a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Sub 4.15 would be great, but realistically 4.30
    [*]
    How many days a week can you train?
    four to 6, depends each week
    Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I want to now and to achieve a long term goal
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Set the alarm this morning for a run, turned it off and went back to bed for an hour! Whoops. My bum muscles and lower back are aching though in my defense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Set the alarm this morning for a run, turned it off and went back to bed for an hour! Whoops. My bum muscles and lower back are aching though in my defense!
    A nice slow run would loosen you up nicely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Younganne, any chance we could put a permanent link to the google spreadsheet on the first post as it's a pain in the gicker having to look back over pages to find it. (similar to 1000 mile challenge)

From a lazy Shaz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

A nice slow run would loosen you up nicely:D

I have promised myself i'll go after work instead. i feel like a robot with the stiffness today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shazkea wrote: »
    Younganne, any chance we could put a permanent link to the google spreadsheet on the first post as it's a pain in the gicker having to look back over pages to find it. (similar to 1000 mile challenge)

Done.

RayCun wrote: »
    Done.

Beat me to it:mad:

Someones on the ball this morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We're both obviously very busy
    Fancy a quick lap of UCD? :pac:

• Advertisement

Done.

Ray it's all the way at the bottom of the post :eek: The effort to scroll down is just too much :D:D
    Thank you :)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Bet me to it:mad:

Someones on the ball this morning:p

Both of you are obviously working hard this morning :p

We're both obviously very busy
    Fancy a quick lap of UCD? :pac:

I save UCD routes for when I am supposed to be at my desk in work (so will be my evening run tonight:D)

Both of you are obviously working hard this morning :p

If you were hard at work you wouldn have time to check up on how promptly us mods are doing are job:p

From a lazy Shaz :D

Why not bookmark it in your browser ?

The sheet is basically a webpage so you can bookmark it as normal. Also if using a modern browser like firefox just starting to type DCM will also show it in the dropdown of your recent history.

You won't even have to go to page 1 of the thread :)

Why not bookmark it in your browser ?

The sheet is basically a webpage so you can bookmark it as normal. Also if using a modern browser like firefox just starting to type DCM will also show it in the dropdown of your recent history.

You won't even have to go to page 1 of the thread :)

Work and security restrictions mean I do not bookmark anything personal. Cache is always cleared on closing a session so no history retained.

ecoli wrote: »
    If you were hard at work you wouldn have time to check up on how promptly us mods are doing are job:p

Someone has to mod the mods :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

jeez i do work for about 15 mins and you all go mad...

Thanks Mods for making life easier for the users, hate for them to have to keep scrolling:D

Work and security restrictions mean I do not bookmark anything personal. Cache is always cleared on closing a session so no history retained.

Well that answers it :)

Plan B so:

bit.ly/dcm2012 will land you on the sheet if you can remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bsile71

Only joining in today, but started the HHN2 plan last week, looking to keep focused on plan and trust that it will get me across the finish line in Oct. Started back running in Mar 11 as 40th loomed, and just kept going.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 00:19:58 29/May/12
    4 mile 00:26:48 18/Apr/12
    5 mile 00:34:47 03/May/12
    10k 00:42:22 01/Apr/12
    10 mile 01:13:24 04/Mar/12

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Four times a week usually, distance varies between 4 and 6 miles, at 8 min mile pace usually, odd interval, hill work night.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream finishing time is 03:29:59
    Realistic finishing time probably 03:50:00 - but who knows haven't done the full marathon distance before, finishing will be nice, and fulfilling a long time dream.

How many days a week can you train?
    4 to 5 days, the hope is to follow the HHN2 plan as much as possible

Why are you running this marathon?
    I thought my chance of doing something like this was gone, delighted to have got my fitness back to a point where I can now training to do this and achieve a dream I've held onto for a long time to complete the Dublin Marathon

... let the training continue. Plan to do 3 miles tonight as per week 3 of HHN2

• Advertisement

Well that answers it :)

Plan B so:

bit.ly/dcm2012 will land you on the sheet if you can remember it.

Nope will never rem that offhand :D. Just as handy to click on page 1 and then the link there. Only slagging on the effort to scroll, not that lazy :)

Advertisement