Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

bsile71 wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream finishing time is 03:29:59

Hopefully I'll see you right at the finish line on October 29th!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

7 mile LSR in light drizzle around the Phoenix Park today. 1 hr 16 min total. (My S is a lot S'r than most here :P)

Thats pretty ok as many others have said plenty of slower runners out there, i did my 7 on Saturday 1hr19, felt ok last half a mile was tough but not too bad. Think the slower runners are always just more reluctant to post, but great to have the support and know there are lots of us in the same boat. After all for most of us its the first time doing such high mileage. So we all should give ourselves a big pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Did a 5 mile in 55 mins today to test the groin. It held out fine but I have an appointment with a physio tomorrow anyway just to get his opinion. I'll probably try to get 3 mile in before that tomorrow just in case he tells me to rest :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Thats pretty ok as many others have said plenty of slower runners out there, i did my 7 on Saturday 1hr19, felt ok last half a mile was tough but not too bad. Think the slower runners are always just more reluctant to post, but great to have the support and know there are lots of us in the same boat. After all for most of us its the first time doing such high mileage. So we all should give ourselves a big pat on the back.

Ye're definitely not the only ones! My LSRs are about 11-12 mins per mile, depending on how energetic I'm feeling on the day. My midweek runs are about 10:30 - 11:30, again depending on my form. If I'm supposed to be doing an "easy" pace for the majority of my runs, this is all I can do!

It does make me :( when I read about other people who only started running 6 months ago & they do 7-8 min miles. I've been at this craic for about 5 years & I've barely progressed by 30 seconds a mile. :o Oh well, it's faster than sitting on the sofa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ye're definitely not the only ones! My LSRs are about 11-12 mins per mile, depending on how energetic I'm feeling on the day. My midweek runs are about 10:30 - 11:30, again depending on my form. If I'm supposed to be doing an "easy" pace for the majority of my runs, this is all I can do!

It does make me :( when I read about other people who only started running 6 months ago & they do 7-8 min miles. I've been at this craic for about 5 years & I've barely progressed by 30 seconds a mile. :o Oh well, it's faster than sitting on the sofa!

These people often fail to tell you that they came from other sports or have been doing some other training. Nobody just gets off the couch and runs 7 to 8 minute miles.
    As for the ones at it 6 months, they're very often training long and hard during those 6 months to achieve this result but make it sound like they're naturally gifted. Thats what I believe anyway
    Running is one of those things were you cant take short cuts, you get caught out every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Hi guys, ran my 7 mile LSR this morning in 1:13. Actually it ended up as a 7.5 miler as I took a bit of a detour to see what was down a laneway I've passed for years and I was feeling good running :D

A few noob questions:

1. When I finish my runs I do a bit of light stretching before my shower as a warm down. In the shower I run cold water on my legs for around three mins as I heard it's aids muscle recovery. Does it make any difference doing this before a warm shower or does it have to be hardcore ice baths?

2. What's the topography of the DCM like? Is it a flat course or a hilly one and if hilly, how hilly? I only ask as I run near my house which is in a hilly area. Hated it at the start but now I look on them as individual challenges. Usually ends up with me muttering "F**k you hill, f**k you hill" as I trod up them:D

Love the thread by the way. I've only started back running properly a month ago and lurk here a lot. Glad to hear that there are other real noobs here as some people seem to be at a way more advanced stage than me.

Cheers,
    Rega

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Back from 40mins of torture at the physio. Out for two weeks minimum, she only said two weeks when I pleaded about the race series 10k and that's only provisionally, I've to go back next week to see how my knee is progressing. I've a weak right ankle causing my left side to compensate, which tightens up, which is pulling my knee and one hip is higher than the other!! Still two weeks isn't so bad, usually I run through niggles and end up out for months. She said anyone marathon training should see a physio every few weeks for a tune up!! So I've to do some exercises faithfully and buy a foam roller to torture myself in her absence. Mega jealous of you all running away today. I'm hoping all is not lost for my training. I was kind of following HH2, so my last LSR was 9 miles, if this is a step back week and I can run the race series 10k I hope to pick it back up the following week. Am I clutching at straws? Dee

I meant to say when I pick it back up I'd drop back to HH1

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Rega wrote: »
    2. What's the topography of the DCM like? Is it a flat course or a hilly one and if hilly, how hilly? I only ask as I run near my house which is in a hilly area. Hated it at the start but now I look on them as individual challenges. Usually ends up with me muttering "F**k you hill, f**k you hill" as I trod up them:D
    Cheers,
    Rega

http://dublinmarathon.ie/img/profile2011.gif that's the elevation. Seems fairly flat but I haven't run it myself so can't say for certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

As the title says - had to share this with you. My wife came home the other day with a story that made me laugh anyway. Basically she was asked how I was getting on running and had mentioned I had entered the marathon at which point her friend tells her this story about his brother running the Rome Marathon this year. (It may be exaggerated - who knows but it left me laughing anyway)

So the brother in a declan moffet (tommy tiernans mate from earlier in the thread) moment decided to enter the Rome marathon. He was going to be there on holidays and had always wanted to run a marathon. He had done no specific training for it but considered himself naturally fit as he plays other sports a few times a week and had done for years.

Roll on marathon day and off he goes. He passes mile marker 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - he's flying along can't believe how fast he is going. Starts working out in is head that he would be on for a sub 3 hour time on his first go. On comes 8,9,10,11,12 he's tiring a bit but he is a legend for completing this nearly half marathon so quickly with so little training.

Apparently around mile 13 the wheels came off the whole scheme when he realised that in fact in Rome they are not mile markers but kilometres :D:D:D and he is only a quarter the way through it and not half way. This was followed by a sudden loss of confidence, entusiasm and energy. Rome is also quite a hilly marathon towards the end and he blew up completely. Got slower and slower, then started getting passed out by as he put it "old" people and "overweight" people and eventually by "old and overweight near walkers" To be fair to him he finished it but was literally hours outside his 3 hour time he thought he was on for.

Anyway I found the moment of realisation to be very funny and thought I'd share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Hey PM, the
    spreadsheet for this week is blank????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

wowzer wrote: »
    Hey PM, the
    spreadsheet for this week is blank????

I filled it in earlier and it was there. Looks like someone deleted it? That could be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yep somebody went in and deleted it. :mad:

Luckily I can roll back revisions so I have restored it back to beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Yep somebody went in and deleted it. :mad:

Luckily I can roll back revisions so I have restored it back to beforehand.

Thanks PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I wouldn't be down on yourself Shortie. As you say you could just be sitting on the sofa! Someone told me that only 1% of the world's population will ever run a marathon so after Oct 29th you'll be in an elite group:D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just back from 3.5 miles off absolute torture in monsoon rain, felt like 10miles!

I get out of shower and hey presto it's sunny here now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just back from 4miles out in the rain, I actually found it quite refreshing...until about 2 miles in when I felt something warm hit me on the side of the head and shoulder.

Turns out I must of been target practice for some bird droppings!!:(

Needless to say I powered through and completed the rest of my run! :cool:

Good luck surely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Back from 40mins of torture at the physio. Out for two weeks minimum, she only said two weeks when I pleaded about the race series 10k and that's only provisionally, I've to go back next week to see how my knee is progressing. I've a weak right ankle causing my left side to compensate, which tightens up, which is pulling my knee and one hip is higher than the other!! Still two weeks isn't so bad, usually I run through niggles and end up out for months. She said anyone marathon training should see a physio every few weeks for a tune up!! So I've to do some exercises faithfully and buy a foam roller to torture myself in her absence. Mega jealous of you all running away today. I'm hoping all is not lost for my training. I was kind of following HH2, so my last LSR was 9 miles, if this is a step back week and I can run the race series 10k I hope to pick it back up the following week. Am I clutching at straws? Dee

That sucks:mad: On the bright side you look to have built up a good fitness base so taking it easy shouldn't set you back too much and fingers crossed you get back for the 10k race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

NoelJ wrote: »
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/img/profile2011.gif that's the elevation. Seems fairly flat but I haven't run it myself so can't say for certain!

Here's a detailed course breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Was at the Physio again this morning and have been given the go ahead for a little "very light jogging".

Delighted with that. Back on the road tomorrow morning, even if it is just for a couple of miles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

God we are all a bunch of crocks:).

At physio myself for dry needling session this morning. No run tomorrow. Going out on the bike for 30 miler.

Will run thursday again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

RayCun wrote: »
    Here's a detailed course breakdown

Totally bricking it after reading this. That said, very useful breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

La Di Da wrote: »
    Totally bricking it after reading this. That said, very useful breakdown.

They guy who wrote it is very fast and was planning his own race, so it was at the level of detail he'd use. My own breakdown would be simpler -

The first few miles are slightly uphill, but you don't notice because it's so early
    As you're leaving Phoenix Park there's a nice downhill
    But on the other side of the river there's a steepish uphill to compensate (as you pass the War Memorial Gardens and run under the road)
    Next couple of miles are fine
    The long stretch from Dolphin's Barn to Walkinstown is a bit of a pain. No turns in the road, very slight incline, you might have the wind against you, and the road is narrow and crowded. Not a pleasant run.
    But once you get to halfway, the next few miles are lovely. The number of spectators increases a lot, the roads are flat and tree-lined, it's easy running.
    Get to Milltown, and you have a downhill to run beside the Dodder for a while (a good spot to arrange support because it's by the LUAS line)
    But then there's an uphill again as you leave the Dodder. People are starting to flag here.
    Then the toughest stretch of the course - back down to the Dodder and a long drag up through Clonskeagh, ending in a short but steepish uphill. This is about mile 20, and there will be a lot of people walking here. (But not you guys, because you'll have paced yourselves properly!)
    Fosters Avenue is a long downhill, and this is where you can start counting yourselves home. There are no more real hills (just the UCD flyover and a bridge over the canal), there are loads of crowds, and there's just 10k to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Know your seeing physio so not attempting to give medical advice at all, had a similar problem last year when mileage started building up for first time. Started having left knee pain on/after running, caused by problem with right ankle/foot, got foam roller and used it religiously and couldn't believe the results.
    Every problem is different but I was able just to ease back and continue because like you I didn't ignore it.
    You have loads of time and miles built up as well and will be grand. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just wanted to ask a quick question about the ‘pace’ run on Hal Higdon 2 plan. I am on week 7 of the HH2 plan and tonight calls for a 7 mile pace run. I am just wondering if I should run the whole 7 miles at pace or maybe just the last few miles? I am conscious that I have a 14 mile LSR on Saturday, so am wondering if I would be better doing tonights run easy to save the legs a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask a quick question about the ‘pace’ run on Hal Higdon 2 plan. I am on week 7 of the HH2 plan and tonight calls for a 7 mile pace run. I am just wondering if I should run the whole 7 miles at pace or maybe just the last few miles? I am conscious that I have a 14 mile LSR on Saturday, so am wondering if I would be better doing tonights run easy to save the legs a bit.

'Pace' is only at planned marathon pace, so it shouldn't be so taxing. I'd imagine a lot of the novices will be doing all their shorter runs faster than MP anyway. Whats your target and at what pace do you normally run your short runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    'Pace' is only at planned marathon pace, so it shouldn't be so taxing. I'd imagine a lot of the novices will be doing all their shorter runs faster than MP anyway. Whats your target and at what pace do you normally run your short runs?

Thanks menoscemo, my target is 9 min mile, I would prob run my easy runs at 9.20-9.30.

I normally wouldn't find pace runs taxing so to speak, but I would probably notice a slight difference in my legs the next day. I think I get a bit obsessed when i'm doing my pace runs, I am checking my speed every 5 seconds... the reality is, a lot of my easy runs would be at MP anyway, but I just seem to notice it more when i'm actually trying to run MP! If that makes any sense :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just over 3 kms this morning. I planned to run for 20 mins but pulled up after about 18 or so. Calf was getting a bit sore, and really did not want to damage it again so was extra cautious. Straight on with some ice when I got home.
    Cross-training tomorrow night, and then another short run on Friday. It's a slow road back, but thankfully I still have time on my side.

At least I get to make my first entry on the spreadsheet ! :D

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks menoscemo, my target is 9 min mile, I would prob run my easy runs at 9.20-9.30.

I normally wouldn't find pace runs taxing so to speak, but I would probably notice a slight difference in my legs the next day. I think I get a bit obsessed when i'm doing my pace runs, I am checking my speed every 5 seconds... the reality is, a lot of my easy runs would be at MP anyway, but I just seem to notice it more when i'm actually trying to run MP! If that makes any sense :o

It makes sense alright :D

The one piece of advice I would give you is to actively slow right down the very short runs each week. If I am not wrong you have a very short run early in the week (after the LSR) and another short one between the pace run and the LSR?

Try to do these way slower than normal, maybe 10.30-11 min/mile, thus making them a 'recovery run'. They will have the effect of freshening up your legs and making them ready for the next hard run. These runs should feel like a pleasant little jaunt not much more taxing than a brisk walk.
    I am training for a 3 hr marathon (6:50/mile) and would still do my recovery runs at anywhere between 8:40-9:20/mile. Guys like Krusty clown who run 2;40 marathons (6;10/mile would do recovery runs at 8 min/mile and slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

anyone got the profile for the 10km in swords?

waiting on physio to call me back about getting a session to look at the foot.

no pain when running

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    anyone got the profile for the 10km in swords?

waiting on physio to call me back about getting a session to look at the foot.

no pain when running

This was posted on the DCM Facebook page last night:
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/1620172
    Looks like a really tough slog between miles 4 and 5...

Advertisement