Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I think continue with option 1, could be a pain if someone keeps messing with the spreadsheet but it seems to be the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks PM, fair play to you for doing that. We'll all by you a drink on the 29th Oct for fixing our F*ck ups!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

tang1 wrote: »
    Thanks PM, fair play to you for doing that. We'll all by you a drink on the 29th Oct for fixing our F*ck ups!!

Jeez that could be expensive and PM will have some hangover the next day :D.

PM appreciate the hard work you've put into this. May be worth pm'ing ROM as Ray suggested to see if he has any ideas on how to lock down cells etc. I know they were having some problems with the 1000 mile challenge doc too but all seems fine lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Thanks PM, Is there a few people we could have that could roll it back? Just means you don't always have to be online if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

Im more than happy to buy you a drink on the 29th for helping us all with the recording for our runs :D. I hope its not too much of a pain. I think option 1 also is the best at the moment........cheers again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Another option would be to go back to the tables but we open a seperate thread for the tables and continue with this thread for the info, advice, general chit chat and motivation.

I'm sure that it would be no problem to do the seperate thread for the tables but Raycun or Ecoli as mods would have to confirm and set it as a sticky at the top of the training logs section!!
    ...the spread sheet is gone so big its hard to read it at a glance where the table has all the info in one glance!!
    But thats only my opinion/suggestion...I'm sure PM has much better things to be doing that monitoring the spreadsheet!!!

How did everyone find the midweek run with the PMP in the middle?? Any problems with slowing back down or staying comfortable at the increased pace??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Younganne wrote: »
    Another option would be to go back to the tables but we open a seperate thread for the tables and continue with this thread for the info, advice, general chit chat and motivation.

I'm sure that it would be no problem to do the seperate thread for the tables but Raycun or Ecoli as mods would have to confirm and set it as a sticky at the top of the training logs section!!

Sure, we could do that. The tables can be messy too, if people don't update the latest version, but if you guys think that would be easier to manage it's not a problem for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

...the spread sheet is gone so big its hard to read it at a glance where the table has all the info in one glance!!
    But thats only my opinion/suggestion...I'm sure PM has much better things to be doing that monitoring the spreadsheet!!!

To be honest I don't mind doing it. Am online most of the day work wise so it's not a big chore for me to squeeze in. What I do like about the sheet is it allows for all sorts of analysis - at a glance you can see how much mileage you are putting in, have been putting in, how that compares with the plan and the other users. The table is grand but when you are scrolling through one with 67 entries it won't be that much of an easy glance IMO :)

I'll happily go with whatever the community here want though.

NoelJ wrote: »
    Thanks PM, Is there a few people we could have that could roll it back? Just means you don't always have to be online if it happens again.

Makes sense too - if anyone else here knows their way around google docs and revisions etc and wants to get involved let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

How did everyone find the midweek run with the PMP in the middle?? Any problems with slowing back down or staying comfortable at the increased pace??

Well one thing I did learn from the midweek run is that my PMP is not 8 min/mile (since I can't even do that for 5km :mad::o)...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Stick with the spreadsheet is my vote. Fair play to you for creating it and making the time to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I found it easier than i thought i would, slowing back down for the last mile felt good though :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Well one thing I did learn from the midweek run is that my PMP is not 8 min/mile (since I can't even do that for 5km :mad::o)...:D

Give it time and you'll be flying again:D

I found it easier than i thought i would, slowing back down for the last mile felt good though :D

Good stuff, overall & aerobic fitness is improving the more you train so this is proving that its all falling into place....
    wowzer wrote: »
    Stick with the spreadsheet is my vote.

Well if PM has no issue with having to do it, then we'll stick with it for now so until he says its too much:)

Makes sense too - if anyone else here knows their way around google docs and revisions etc and wants to get involved let me know.

Sorry i'm no help to you there:o

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'm not 100% the best at google docs but I can do the revisions.. Since I'm writing my thesis I'm on quite alot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ok sheet restored to before the mess up (which took place approx 6 hours ago) If you entered any new data during that time it will be gone. Sorry about that but I can only roll it back to certain points and not selectively.

The biggest issue here is the lack of any ability in googledocs to lock down / protect indvidual cells and rows which means anyone can come in and act the proverbial with the sheet (or an innocent mistake is made) You can only lock the entire sheet.

So options are:

1) Continue as is - I can roll back things as they happen.
    2) Lock the sheet and invite / approve everyone as a collaborator (would require everyone to register a google account / log in etc to edit)
    3) Abandon the sheet and go back to tables.
    4) Have everyone pm me their runs and I update the sheet myself = lots of work for PM :D
    5) Wait for google to implement individual protection (been waiting 3 years for it so far !)

Personally I'm very much with option 1 for the moment. It's not that difficult to roll it back - and the quicker someone spots the issue the less edits I need to scroll back through to see where it went wrong. Option 2 will not sit well with everyone from a privacy point of view, Option 3 means a heavily cluttered thread with tables, Option 4 would be a personal nightmare and Option 5 is time sensitive.
    I think you should have the deciding vote PM as you do most of the work. I'm happy to go with whichever you think best and thanks again:)

I was doing my pace runs at PMP all the way but found it better doing it the way you suggested with the bit at the start and end at an easier pace:)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I think we should keep the spreadsheet. I'm online up to 8 hours a day depending on work so if we choose to have a few people looking after it to help PM with any issues that arise I can help.

As for my runs this week, I had to give this week a miss as I was unwell but will be back at them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Fair play to you PM for your efforts in keeping the spreadsheet in order. It only takes one person to decide to play with things and mess it up for everyone, i'm sure it was someone playing silly games who probably isn't even contributing to this thread or the spread sheet, it's a shame that some people get their jollies that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Duzzie wrote: »
    Fair play to you PM for your efforts in keeping the spreadsheet in order. It only takes one person to decide to play with things and mess it up for everyone, i'm sure it was someone playing silly games who probably isn't even contributing to this thread or the spread sheet, it's a shame that some people get their jollies that way.

Never put down to malice what stupidity can explain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Back in the groove hopefully, 7.5 miles this evening. Arch in left foot still giving out a bit, getting fitted for new runners tomorrow in Base2Race so hopefully they can sort the issue out.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Never put down to malice what stupidity can explain ;)

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Back in the groove hopefully, 7.5 miles this evening. Arch in left foot still giving out a bit, getting fitted for new runners tomorrow in Base2Race so hopefully they can sort the issue out.

2 sub 20 5k's in a week and you are only getting back in the groove now?? How fast will you be when you back training properly? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Younganne How did everyone find the midweek run with the PMP in the middle?? Any problems with slowing back down or staying comfortable at the increased pace??

Midweek run was fine but finding my legs really tired on Thursday when I'm running

career_move
    I think you should have the deciding vote PM as you do most of the work. I'm happy to go with whichever you think best and thanks again

+1 on this and thanks PM for all the hard work

tenreds wrote: »

Midweek run was fine but finding my legs really tired on Thursday when I'm running

Make sure that your Thursday run is slow and easy and if you're not sure, just slow it down some more:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just having breakfast before I head off on 18km LSR

Will be over there later myself. The other half is getting s new pair of runners and maybe pick up a box of gels

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

Achieved 8miles last night........delighted with myself:D. Im not using this week as a fall back week as im going on holidays next friday for 10 day. So I dont want to take my foot of the peddle too much.........as im honest enough to say it will be hard to get all the runs in when away. Hotel has a great gym and thread mills.....but going away with two friends so I know I cant keep running off for a run all the time as it will drive them nuts...:rolleyes:....they hate exercise of any form, time to get new friends I think:D

I never use water on my lsr but think it has come to a time where I may need them. Does anyone have any advice on what type of water carrier I should buy?

Let me know how yours goes career_move.

Very happy with my lsr this morn (12.93mi) and the water carrier. Had to experiment a bit when I started off to get it in a comfy place. Its a Nathan Speed 2 belt and it says on it that most people like to wear it on their hips and thats where I found it most comfy. Easy to get the bottles out and to drink from. No plastic taste from the bottles which I was relieved to find. I got 2 x 10 oz bottles and I'd say I hardly drank 6 oz. My hips were a tiny bit bruised later on so next time I think i'll only half fill the bottles
    Okay I may be rude but the questions keep repeating themselves and one answer would qualify a lot of questions.. Perhaps I can ask a few of the regular contributors to (my website) / a thread and compact a lot of the questions in one thread?

Questions about Pace, Distance, Water, Injuries? Like honestly I'm confused but when I ask a question there is a lot of questions that are similar and its tough to understand?

I'd love to place all the advice in once place because is helped me.

Does anyone mid if I coagulate all the answers from this thread in one place in order to help others?
    I have no problem with that anyway:)

• Advertisement

These are extracts from my own log with some relevant additions at the end for the marathon thread. (so sorry to anyone who already read it skip to the last paragraph :D)

Wednesday 11th

Approx 6k in 36 minutes.

A nice run today - Endomondo went a bit haywire and told me I had done my second kilometre in 4 min :D (turned out it lost GPS at one stage and had placed me a good distance from where I was - then when it found me again calculated as if I had ran there and back) It was on unfamilar territory around the blanchardstown centre area so I wasn't sure how far or at what pace I was running until I double checked the maps etc later. Knee held up well. Slightly sore towards the end but nothing too bad.

Thursday 12th - Just when you thought running was doing the same thing day in day out.

6.2km in 38 min 44 seconds. I had a great run today. I love running in new places (not neccessarily never been there before but never having ran there before) I parked up in Westpoint in Blanchardstown and decided I would take a jog towards Castleknock and do some sort of loop back to Blanchardstown. I didn't have a set run in mind. Again that can keep things interesting. I got as far as the railway bridge over Castleknock and saw a wide path leading along the canal and a spur of the moment right turn was taken with the idea I would run along the canal for a while and then head back to Blanch centre.

The nice wide paved path gave way though to a mucky yet rough trail which got progressively narrower and narrower to the point that it was at times hard to see the path. Either side of the path was outgrowing bushes and leaves and I really had to concentrate to keep my pace steady, adjust the footsteps to land on smooth ground, kick down jagged branches etc. I ended up running the guts of a full kilometre through the undergrowth without really noticing that I had ran so far. My heart was thumping, adrenaline was flowing and I came out the far side at coolmine feeling like I had just broken a world record. Such a great buzz - and I am going to investigate some cross country running at some stage.

Friday 13th

8.88km in 55:31

Another unplanned run this one. I was scheduled to run 5k on my training plan but work got in the way this morning. I was under some time pressure this evening too but I did have my running gear in the car. Decided to run home instead of drive. Didn't overly push myself but still ended up with a horrific stitch which had me close to tears at one point. Walked some of it off and got my ass in gear again but the stitch was still painful.

I turned the final corner to my house and found my 6 year old waiting for me at the end of the street. This felt like coming home to a heroes welcome. She runs up to me and challenges me to a race back to the house. For the first time ever I didn't have to fake the loss - I couldn't keep up with her I was that sore from the stitch :D

The great thing though was how quickly my body recovered from the run. Within 40 seconds of finishing the stitch was gone, I wasn't in any way shape or form out of breath and my heart was beating as normal. That to me is a sign of an increasing fitness level and stitches aside I was delighted with the run home.

Summary
    Not a bad week all things considered. I messed up a bit on Thursday - this should have been my midweek pace run but I got carried up in the moment and didn't run the prescribed 2 miles at marathon pace. Friday was higher mileage than the plan warranted and I ran it a bit too fast if I look at it honestly and paid for it with the mother of all stitches ! Marathon pace though is still something that is not really defined for me as I suspect is the same for most of us here.

The thing is I know I am running a bit slower than I am capable of but that said I'm not sure I would be capable of sustaining a higher pace for a full marathon. If anything the release of stored energy on the day will be pushing me to finish as opposed to pushing me to finish at a higher speed. So for the moment I'm not too concerned with getting the pacing exactly right. My speeds at the moment which are relatively comfortable look like this:

Short runs - top racing speed 5:30 per km not sustainable for too long
    LSR - 6:40 - 7:00 per km
    Midweek Runs - 6:00 - 6:10 per km.
    Marathon Pace - Could be anything from 5:50 - 7:00 and won't know for a few months yet.

What I do know though as alluded to earlier is that things are getting more comfortable, pace is slowly naturally increasing and recovery times are also dramatically decreasing.

Advertisement