Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

blisters are going to appear as the runs get longer...i use ordinary socks and never get blisters now, but i used to get them all the time and its just a matter of your feet toughening up and getting use to the longer distances. Harder skin is definitely better....

when you do get a blister, as soon as you hit the shower your feet will let you know its there..sterile needle to burst it and let out the liquid and then Compeed/similar Blister plaster and leave it on until it falls off by itself as a new skin is forming underneath...DO NOT pull it off or you'll be back to square 1...and it will get a bit messy as its nearing the end of it usage:eek: if your feet are a bit tender, stick a blister plaster on before the LSR and it will prevent it from forming....

Ladies, as for summer sandals ...
    1. there is no suitable weather for it and
    2. If like me you have 8 black/dead toenails,you'll keep them hidden anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Back in from my best LSR so far.

Taking inspiration from the many comments urging us to have the LSR be slow enough to be comfortable I slowed it down a bit more than normal. Worked out around 7 min/km or 11.25 min/miles. This I imagine is a good bit slower than a lot of the group here but it was the first time I ran a LSR at a truly comfortable, consistent and long term sustainable pace.

I was aiming for 9 miles and had worked out a rough route looping from the house and back. As it turned out I had underestimated the route and I actually covered 10 miles. The key thing though is this is my first time ever breaking 10 miles without stopping for a walk en route. The hills en route didn't bother me too much. One of the steep hills raised the heart rate / body heat a little bit but it was never anything close to needing a walk even though it came 8 miles into the run. My knee gave out a little bit but I told it to shut the **** up as we were running slowly and sure enough it did. :D

10 miles covered non stop in 1hr 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Taking inspiration from the many comments urging us to have the LSR be slow enough to be comfortable I slowed it down a bit more than normal. Worked out around 7 min/km or 11.25 min/miles. This I imagine is a good bit slower than a lot of the group here but it was the first time I ran a LSR at a truly comfortable, consistent and long term sustainable pace.

I was aiming for 9 miles and had worked out a rough route looping from the house and back. As it turned out I had underestimated the route and I actually covered 10 miles. The key thing though is this is my first time ever breaking 10 miles without stopping for a walk en route. The hills en route didn't bother me too much. One of the steep hills raised the heart rate / body heat a little bit but it was never anything close to needing a walk even though it came 8 miles into the run. My knee gave out a little bit but I told it to shut the **** up as we were running slowly and sure enough it did. :D

well done! I also experienced the comfortable, sustainable LSR on saturday and it feels amazing to see the improvements so far. i love this thread :D

well done! I also experienced the comfortable, sustainable LSR on saturday and it feels amazing to see the improvements so far. i love this thread :D

Lads thats great to hear and at the end of the day the running has to be comfortable especially for the long runs and it sound like you both "Enjoyed " the runs.

did you think 5 weeks ago you'd enjoy running those distances?

Keep up the good work!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Hi Wexford. I got it on sub4.ie (€30 incl postage). You should watch the size you order though cause I didn't realise when I bought it that the size refers to waist size but that its fits better on your hips. So I got a S and when I tried it on I was thinking theres no way this is going round my hips. Made it fit though cause too lazy etc to send it back but possibly the reason I have sore hips:D

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Just about to head out for a cross between last weeks and this weeks LSR. I'm a couple of days behind you guys and should be doing the 5 miles step back. However I am away next week and would prefer to have the step back timed with that. So my intention is to run this weeks 9 mile today and last weeks 5 mile next Monday. Confusing you yet ? :D

This is what I pictured while reading the above

doc-brown.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha excellent ^^^:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Well another week over, one week closer to the big event! I had a good week last week, you may remember I had a couple of sluggish weeks previously, so it felt good to be back at full tilt. A couple of firsts this week, got my gait analysed for the first time. I have a fairly neutral gait with a slight inward roll, but not enough to warrant support shoes. Turns out the trainers I was wearing where quite good for my gait, so went for a similar pair. They are Nike of some description, only €90 so I was pleased as I was expecting to pay more. I also tried a gel for the first time yesterday on my LSR. I was doing 14 miles, and took it at the 7 mile stage. My legs didn’t feel as tired on the second half of the run, not sure if it was the gel, the new trainers, the fact that I had 2 days rest beforehand or just my fitness improving! Maybe a combination of all four. I used the High 5 Isogel and found it fine to take, no ill effects stomach wise. They are bloody hard to open with sweaty hands though!

So last week did 4 miles easy – 7 miles pace (actually went faster than pace which I know is bold, but sometimes it just feels good to RUN FAST!) – 4 mile recovery – 14 miles slow.

I really slowed down my LSR this week, down to 10.15 miles, where previously I was doing 9.30 min miles, really noticed the difference today, no sore legs at all. I also slowed down my recovery run after the 7 mile pace, again, noticed the difference in my legs.

Feel good heading into this week, 4-7-4-15 LSR, the increasing LSR isn’t as scary as it used to be!

Hi ncmc we're following the same training plan, its so motivating to see someone else out there doing exactly the same mileage! I've been thinking about taking a gel on the LSR so might take your lead and try the High 5 one on next Sunday's 15 miler. I did yesterday's 14 miles on water and a few jelly babies...unlike you I struggled the last 2 miles but am putting that down to a very messy few nights away on a hen party :eek: I'm also enjoying the slower pace - I did yesterday at 10min20 average and this felt very comfortable, actually enjoyable! Oh and I finally mustered up the courage to pee behind a hedge - what a relief that was ;)

Really looking forward to this weeks 4-7-4-15 LSR, absolutely addicted to the whole blooming thing :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Hi ncmc we're following the same training plan, its so motivating to see someone else out there doing exactly the same mileage! I've been thinking about taking a gel on the LSR so might take your lead and try the High 5 one on next Sunday's 15 miler. I did yesterday's 14 miles on water and a few jelly babies...unlike you I struggled the last 2 miles but am putting that down to a very messy few nights away on a hen party :eek: I'm also enjoying the slower pace - I did yesterday at 10min20 average and this felt very comfortable, actually enjoyable! Oh and I finally mustered up the courage to pee behind a hedge - what a relief that was ;)

Really looking forward to this weeks 4-7-4-15 LSR, absolutely addicted to the whole blooming thing :D

No stopping you now;)....thats the one advantage of living in the country, plenty of gateways....:D great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just back from my longest run ever, 20kms (ish). I planned my route on google maps and it told me it was little over 20kms, ended up being 19.85km, damn you google maps. I hope that 150m isn't the difference between success and failure come October. The run was comfortable enough although my legs got heavy towards the end, but I suspect that is a psychological thing as it is always the same in the last 2 kms no matter how long the run is. Legs feel fine now so i'm a happy camper, as Anne said, I never thought i'd be able to run 20kms non-stop just a few short months ago. Happy days

• Advertisement

Guys it'll soon be time to start experimenting with gels, for the longer runs to see how they are with your stomach....so if you're in any sports shops buy a few different ones to see how you get on..
    ...trial and error with the gels and sometimes error is not nice:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Forgive me if this as been explained somewhere in the previous 109 pages :eek: but I'm wondering why many of the posters seem to be doing much longer LSRs than me - my HHN2 called for 10k/6m this weekend but several people seem to be up to 11 miles etc etc.?

That said - enjoying the Higdon schedule so far and did a great 8k pace, 2x5ks and a good scenic 10k LSR on sat, followed by a 10k cross train on the bike in hilly country on Sun.

What kind of cross training are others doing? And how long a session should it be in terms of time/distance?

Great thread and thanks!

murphd77 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this as been explained somewhere in the previous 109 pages :eek: but I'm wondering why many of the posters seem to be doing much longer LSRs than me - my HHN2 called for 10k/6m this weekend but several people seem to be up to 11 miles etc etc.?

That said - enjoying the Higdon schedule so far and did a great 8k pace, 2x5ks and a good scenic 10k LSR on sat, followed by a 10k cross train on the bike in hilly country on Sun.

What kind of cross training are others doing? And how long a session should it be in terms of time/distance?

Great thread and thanks!

Never a problem asking question here, if if they have been asked before its like revision for those who have read it before

Some people swapped this weeks long run with last week as they are racing Fingal 10k on Sunday...

Your Long Slow Run pace should be 60-90 seconds slower than your planned marathon pace (PMP). If you don't know what your PMP is, that's okay - run at a pace that you can hold a comfortable conversation at. If you're still not sure? Slow down some more. In the early weeks of the programme, and early in your runs, you are going to feel like you're barely crawling along. That's just right.

Lot's of people have trouble understanding this and run too fast which will

exhaust you. Improving your running fitness is a gradual process. It's not about doing one great training session, it's about getting out for your 4/5 runs this week and doing them all well, and doing the same next week, and the week after. Consistency of training is the key to improvement, so you need to be recovered from your long runs in a couple of days - and you won't be if you've run at PMP.

Running faster, and spending less time on your runs, would compromise some of the benefits of your long runs. The longer runs are training your body for endurance running. Your body needs to get better at burning fat, as well as carbohydrates for energy (because you can't store enough carbs for a marathon and when they run out, you hit the wall). Your legs need to get better at using different muscle groups in running. Your feet need to get used to the pounding. You need practice at maintaining good running form when tired. All of these things are easier when you are running slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great thread and thanks!

A few of us started on week 5 of the HH2 programme to avoid dropping back on mileage we were already doing. So I did week 7 of hh2 last week. My plan is to do weeks 5-9 then repeat them and I'll be back in line with everyone else for week 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great thread and thanks!

Hi murphd77 I started the plan already training for a half mararthon in week 1 and then another in week 5 so I needed to change the HHN2 plan to suit. I started at HHN2 week 5 as my week 1, and am following the plan to week 9 (the HM week in the plan but my week 5) - then going back to repeat from week 6 onwards with everyone else. I think a few others are doing something similar. I agree it is confusing though!

As for cross training eh none to date eek! Although my dog gets a good walk a few times a week so maybe this counts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

My cross training is golf! Kinda cheating, but hey, i got to fit it in somewhere!

The session lasts between 4-5hrs strolling around green fields! :D

On a serious note, i will probably do a few cycling sessions in the weeks ahead, swimming would also be a good one I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hey guys,
    Anyone else planning to do the Liberties Fun Run this week? 6.5k - not exactly a standard race distance, but should be a great night. Haven't managed to do the race series, so trying to drop into random races! Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to do this properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Finding it impossible to fit in any cross training last few weeks - Can Pilates count??? Know cycling /swimming more usual but my instructor likes to keep a swift pace and heart rate def up from first 10 mins on...

Thanks for all the comments on pace & especially LSR's - consciously tried to keep it nice and easy yesterday with my 10k for Week 3 of HHN2 and really enjoyed my run. Problem was didn't map route first and just my stopwatch so when logged it this evening found out pace was only 7 secs/KM slower than what I ran in 10k race earlier this year...:eek: Positive that I must be improving (and so need to up my speed mid week) but gonna have to pay a lot closer attention to pace next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

FiiFii, I've never crosstrained, ever! ;)

Makes sense too - if anyone else here knows their way around google docs and revisions etc and wants to get involved let me know.

Hi - sorry bit late back on this one but comfortableish on google docs & revision if you need another back up person. Not online as often as others but gonna try more so in future to keep up motivation so can keep an eye out if anyone spots a problem. Spreadhseet brilliant tool to (try) keep you on track so love to see it keep going even if messed up once in a while.

Have you used the Notifications option at all? Haven't myself but looks like can set up email alert if anyone changes specific cells - could set it up against names & formulas that shouldn't be edited so know when user error happens?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »

Well, depending on your running history I could take that as a supportive comment or a warning :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Younganne wrote: »
    Guys it'll soon be time to start experimenting with gels, for the longer runs to see how they are with your stomach....so if you're in any sports shops buy a few different ones to see how you get on..
    ...trial and error with the gels and sometimes error is not nice:eek:

Hi Younganne - I'm gonna try the gels for the LSR this weekend - first time to give it a whirl - any suggestions on brands to try or is it really just an individual thing and what suits your stomach?

Also does anyone know of shops in Dublin with a good range? I've tried some of the healthfood stores which have a small selection but nothing great.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Lola27 wrote: »

Hi Younganne - I'm gonna try the gels for the LSR this weekend - first time to give it a whirl - any suggestions on brands to try or is it really just an individual thing and what suits your stomach?

Also does anyone know of shops in Dublin with a good range? I've tried some of the healthfood stores which have a small selection but nothing great.

Thanks!

I'm using the High5 Isogels, find them very easy on the stomach. Try a few before settling on the one you feel suits you best. Base2Race in Ballymount Ind Estate or Amphibian King in Bray both have good stock of various types.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Lola27 wrote: »

As a rule you'll find that bike shops tend to hold a good supply of gels.

+1 for the isogels - I find them much easier to take than the others. I think it's a case also that the effectiveness of the non-isogels is related to your hydration level - if you're dehydrated from running then your body finds them tough to absorb. The isogels don't have this problem, but they're much bulkier and a pain to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

FiiFii wrote: »
    Well, depending on your running history I could take that as a supportive comment or a warning :p

No prisoners taken on this thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Great thread and thanks!

Hi murphd77, I'm doing HH2 as well and did week 4 last week (LSR 11m) and week 3 this week (LSR 6m) as it fit in better with the 10km Fingal run this Sunday. Someone on here suggested it. I found the 11miles tough going on Saturday and have been pretty shattered ever since so not sure it was the wisest plan for me!

Runchick wrote: »

Hey runchick, having a few late nights and maybe over indulging on the old sauce really does affect the running. I was sluggish for a whole week after my last night out! God, I’m getting old :( Do try the gels this week, I can’t say they made a massive difference, I think I was expecting an instant thing like Popeye eating a can of spinach :D but I definitely think they helped with the fatigue in the second half of my run.

I am now totally obsessed, if someone asks me to do something or go somewhere on a weekend, I automatically calculate what mileage I’m doing that weekend and judge if I can go! Have a christening this Saturday, so going to try and get my 15 miles done early on Saturday and not overdo the alcohol at the party afterwards. If I’m on here next week complaining of being sluggish, you’ll know my good intentions have gone out the window ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Glad to hear others aren’t getting too bogged down with cross training, I was worried about this. I don’t have a bike and I can’t swim so I was worried it would hinder my training. To be honest, I don’t have the time or inclination to take up another sport or activity. Like Runchick, I walk the dog a lot, so I’m counting that as my cross training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

FiiFii wrote: »

2 years 5 marathons no injuries :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Hey guys,
    Anyone else planning to do the Liberties Fun Run this week? 6.5k - not exactly a standard race distance, but should be a great night. Haven't managed to do the race series, so trying to drop into random races! Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to do this properly!

Going away on Thursday but i did it last year. Super race and great course for a pb. Might be an unusual 6.5k pb but as the saying goes a pb is a pb! Ok i just made that up.;)

Advertisement