Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey guys,
    Anyone else planning to do the Liberties Fun Run this week? 6.5k - not exactly a standard race distance, but should be a great night. Haven't managed to do the race series, so trying to drop into random races! Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to do this properly!

Yes, I'm going to try to do this one I think - looks like a very interesting course and it's always nice to run in town. Will probably just show up on the night , Thursday (they accept registrations 5-7pm on the day). I'm supposed to do 5k / 10k pace / 5k / 17.5k LSR this week so I'll probably do the 6.5k Liberties at pace instead of the usual 5k, having reduced the Weds 10k pace to 8k with a couple of pace kilometres in here. What do ye think - would this leave me ok for the 17.5k LSR (longer than I've run in 30 years)? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    Hey runchick, having a few late nights and maybe over indulging on the old sauce really does affect the running. I was sluggish for a whole week after my last night out! God, I’m getting old :( Do try the gels this week, I can’t say they made a massive difference, I think I was expecting an instant thing like Popeye eating a can of spinach :D but I definitely think they helped with the fatigue in the second half of my run.

I am now totally obsessed, if someone asks me to do something or go somewhere on a weekend, I automatically calculate what mileage I’m doing that weekend and judge if I can go! Have a christening this Saturday, so going to try and get my 15 miles done early on Saturday and not overdo the alcohol at the party afterwards. If I’m on here next week complaining of being sluggish, you’ll know my good intentions have gone out the window ;)

I done this last week....I ran 10.5 miles in the morning and then went to a concert in the park. NOT A GOOD IDEA. Make sure you have a couch to hand if you're doing a long run and then an activity. I was out half the night and musve walked 5 miles to get a taxi at the end of it and next day I felt like sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rasher_m wrote: »
    I done this last week....I ran 10.5 miles in the morning and then went to a concert in the park. NOT A GOOD IDEA. Make sure you have a couch to hand if you're doing a long run and then an activity. I was out half the night and musve walked 5 miles to get a taxi at the end of it and next day I felt like sh*t.

Tell me about it, a couple of weeks ago I did 13.5 miles, went to an outdoor gig for the whole afternoon and evening, was as drunk as a monkey by 12am and felt like crap for days after :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Went for my first runs yesterday and this morning since being ill last week. Felt great to get back into it.

Being sick gave me a great chance to sit back and objectively look at what I've been doing and the paces I've been running. While I'd been slowing down my LSR I now feel I need to slow it down another bit. As I've gotten fitter and I can feel my legs getting stronger I really have to resist the urge to increase the speed of all my runs. Not being able to do any for a week gave me a chance to really take that on board.

On the gels I've tried the isogels on runs greater than 10 miles and fopund them really easy to take.

ncmc wrote: »
    Tell me about it, a couple of weeks ago I did 13.5 miles, went to an outdoor gig for the whole afternoon and evening, was as drunk as a monkey by 12am and felt like crap for days after :mad:

It doesnt help when the rain has been so bad that you cannot sit down anywhere since the hey/grass has turned into a mucky puddle

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    It doesnt help when the rain has been so bad that you cannot sit down anywhere since the hey/grass has turned into a mucky puddle

Yep, exactly what happened to me too! I'm blaming that for my feeling so crap.... not the copious amounts of alcohol I imbibed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

murphd77 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this as been explained somewhere in the previous 109 pages :eek: but I'm wondering why many of the posters seem to be doing much longer LSRs than me - my HHN2 called for 10k/6m this weekend but several people seem to be up to 11 miles etc etc.?

That said - enjoying the Higdon schedule so far and did a great 8k pace, 2x5ks and a good scenic 10k LSR on sat, followed by a 10k cross train on the bike in hilly country on Sun.

What kind of cross training are others doing? And how long a session should it be in terms of time/distance?

Great thread and thanks!
    I'm on week 4 of HHN2. I started out in April following a plan for the gold coast marathon and had got up to a 20mile run but when I wasn't going to do the marathon I just tapered and started out with HHN2 cause thats what everyone was doing here:D I started a week early cause I'm going to repeat week 5. I'm doing the 5k jogfor jockeys next sun and didn't want to miss out on a lsr. I've mapped out lots of routes to run on mapmyrun.ie but I don't have a garmin and I get bored running the same roads so sometimes I do a bit more than is on the plan. Like last Saturday I was supposed to do 11 miles but the ring I was doing was 13 so just did that instead
    tang1 wrote: »
    I'm using the High5 Isogels, find them very easy on the stomach. Try a few before settling on the one you feel suits you best. Base2Race in Ballymount Ind Estate or Amphibian King in Bray both have good stock of various types.
    I use the those as well. I think they're really easy to use but the last few times I haven't got much of a kick from them. I think though that the more knackered you are they more of a boost they give you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Funny thing during my run today. was doing 3 mile run at recovery pace which I hads worked out to run at around 12:00/mile which i know seems pretty slow to some others and I am still struggling to stay at that pace for the whole run. But was running along and a man decided to encourage me by telling me to hurry up as he was nearly faster than me walking. I just laughed it off but it definitely annoyed me a bit, i did ignore him though and tried to keep to my planned pace for the rest of the run. Really enjoying the plan nervous/excited for a 9 mile run at the weekend will be the longest ive ever run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Funny thing during my run today. was doing 3 mile run at recovery pace which I hads worked out to run at around 12:00/mile which i know seems pretty slow to some others and I am still struggling to stay at that pace for the whole run. But was running along and a man decided to encourage me by telling me to hurry up as he was nearly faster than me walking. I just laughed it off but it definitely annoyed me a bit, i did ignore him though and tried to keep to my planned pace for the rest of the run. Really enjoying the plan nervous/excited for a 9 mile run at the weekend will be the longest ive ever run.

Tell him to mind his own in the future, some people have to give there opinion regardless. Your doing great and don't let some man that probably has no clue about the commitment it takes to train for a marathon put you off.

14 mile LSR this evening, last 6 miles at PMP. Working nights Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 6pm-6am so slim chances of getting the LSR done at weekend. Man it was warm this evening, first 7 miles from Howth to Castle Ave were fine cause of nice breeze into my face. But return journey was totally different, wind & sun on my back made for alot of sweating. Enjoyed it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hey Martin I'm with you - 9 miles at the weekend will be unknown territory for me but hopefully with a nice controlled pace the distance will be manageable. The last few runs have been fine so hopefully the distance will come.

Just to let people know there is a Panorama programme on BBC on thursday night examining the effectiveness of various sports products which may be interesting.

See the link below for some info

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l1yxk

Good luck to everyone with the training and for you folks at 15 plus miles I'm not jealous at all. Only joking hopefully with a few more weeks training i will be at that mileage also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I love the diplomatic way you say he was being 'encouraging'. I'd have said he was downright rude and suggest that if you meet him again you tell him that power walking is for GIRLS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

When you have that big shiny medal and finisher's shirt, those things won't trouble you in the slightest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I read some place on Boards that Ciaran O'Lionard (3.54 miler, running in the Olympics) does his recovery run at 9 min mile pace - a crawl by his standards! These runs are supposed to be slow - if some passer by doesn't know the difference then don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

Hardest 3 miles of the novice program so far this evening (regular pace) - legs, breathing, everything was off. Was going great last week and 5 mile LSR went well on Saturday. I only did a short walk as cross training on Sunday but feel like I may have lost momentum because of the inactive two days (Sun -cross, Mon - rest). LSR of 9 miles this weekend is becoming more daunting. Anyone else feel like they're going backwards???

14 mile LSR this evening, last 6 miles at PMP. Working nights Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 6pm-6am so slim chances of getting the LSR done at weekend. Man it was warm this evening, first 7 miles from Howth to Castle Ave were fine cause of nice breeze into my face. But return journey was totally different, wind & sun on my back made for alot of sweating. Enjoyed it all the same.

Thats great going and the shift work as well...its not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

zarkov wrote: »
    Hardest 3 miles of the novice program so far this evening (regular pace) - legs, breathing, everything was off. Was going great last week and 5 mile LSR went well on Saturday. I only did a short walk as cross training on Sunday but feel like I may have lost momentum because of the inactive two days (Sun -cross, Mon - rest). LSR of 9 miles this weekend is becoming more daunting. Anyone else feel like they're going backwards???

Felt a bit like that myself this morning. Was trying to keep it easy but didn't really have an option because legs were very one paced. Reckon it was them just getting over Saturday's LSR (13 Miles). Luckily its a step back week for me this week anyway.

It was probably the humidity, i was even finding it hard to breathe in work today and everyone was complaining about how heavy it was. Hopefully this downpour we're getting this evening will take some of the humidity out of the air.
    I ran my 3 miles slowly in the gym and I was sweating like I do when Im after running a 10km too fast. I was so glad I only had to do 3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Yeah legs really starting to feel the miles now,had to get my groin seen to tonight so no run today:( but have a 5K race tomorrow night so hopefully the rest will help with a good time,must try and slow the pace down more on the LSR as I think I'm running to fast,also going to try some cold baths after my runs on the weekends :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

I had that feeling on Sunday when I went out for 3 miles. Everything was wrong, too hot, my legs felt like lead, just felt I was running but getting nowhere. I had a rest day yesterday and went out tonight and felt a lot better. I think some days are good and some are bad. I think its part of the training:eek:.......getting used to bad runs:D.....it will prob happen less and less as your fitness levels improve........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah no, not at all - that's perfectly normal and the weather has been tough in terms of humidity (in Dublin at least). Going backwards can happen at any time - but is only a good run away from being last week's thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

tenreds wrote: »
    Yeah legs really starting to feel the miles now,had to get my groin seen to tonight so no run today:( but have a 5K race tomorrow night so hopefully the rest will help with a good time,must try and slow the pace down more on the LSR as I think I'm running to fast,also going to try some cold baths after my runs on the weekends :eek:

Great tip I used last year for ice baths for anyone thinking of them after lsr. Leave old hoody or sweatshirt top and shorts on, also, keep socks on just over your toes. Sit into bath empty and start to run cold water, as bath fills an inch or two start to add ice.
    Also, bring cup of tea and good book or magazine, actually nearly makes the experience enjoyable! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Yeah totally know what you mean - I found this mornings 4 miles quite tough. I don't think the humidity at the minute is helping much either. I sometimes find that I lose momentum when I take the break also with the 2 rest days.

I guess you just have to take the good with the bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

I'm using the High5 Isogels, find them very easy on the stomach. Try a few before settling on the one you feel suits you best. Base2Race in Ballymount Ind Estate or Amphibian King in Bray both have good stock of various types.

Great thanks - gonna give the High5 Isogels a whirl this weekend. Am off on hols aswell but want to try to stick to the programme while i'm away despite the 30C+ heat so think I will need something to keep me going on the LSR....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Time for some mid-week inspiration. US Olympic hopeful, Shanlane Flanagan, discusses her marathon training in the run up to the Olympics:

http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/video-google-hangout-on-marathon-running/?src=rechp

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

I get it all the time myself, also trying to run 12 minute recoveries. Unsavoury characters who you wouldn't exactly want to be talking back to, in my case :mad:

I'm also struggling to physically run that slow. It feels like I'm 'bouncing' or plodding more and I can really feel it in my knees and hips the next day. I know I need to concentrate on my form more when running at that speed, shorter strides, light feet, quick turnover etc, but all that concentrating kinda takes away from the 'fun' aspect I'm supposed to be having.. sigh. Well the 9 miles this weekend should be fun.. will be my furthest yet! :D

Please don’t feel like you are going backwards just because you have had one bad run. We all have bad days (or weeks!) I myself had a very sluggish week or 10 days recently, but had a great 14 mile LSR on Saturday. As Younganne and the other experts keep saying, the rest days are very important. They allow your muscles to heal and actually make your muscles stronger in the long run. It would be unlikely that 2 days off would make you lose momentum so don’t be tempted to skip your rest days.

As the previous replies have said, it was really warm and humid yesterday, I think a lot of us struggled on runs that should have been easy.

The way I deal with a bad day is just to put it behind me straight away, don’t bring the negative feelings into the next run. You had a bad day, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t be hard on yourself and go and enjoy your run tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Have finally got round to actually registering for the marathon. My bib no is 7164. Only 14 full weeks of training to go!

Have also registered for the Sligo Half Marathon on the 15th of September. Think its on the same day as the Half in Dublin but its much closer to home. Have also earmarked a local 5k and 10k race over the next few weeks to do so building up my own race series. The half is the main prep race though. The universal opinion seems to suggest this is the best way of testing your current progress and settling on a pace for the marathon itself. Anyone else doing Sligo?

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Have finally got round to actually registering for the marathon. My bib no is 7164. Only 14 full weeks of training to go!

Have also registered for the Sligo Half Marathon on the 15th of September. Think its on the same day as the Half in Dublin but its much closer to home. Have also earmarked a local 5k and 10k race over the next few weeks to do so building up my own race series. The half is the main prep race though. The universal opinion seems to suggest this is the best way of testing your current progress and settling on a pace for the marathon itself. Anyone else doing Sligo?

Not doing Sligo, doing Athlone Half same day though.

• Advertisement

Just about to head out for a cross between last weeks and this weeks LSR. I'm a couple of days behind you guys and should be doing the 5 miles step back. However I am away next week and would prefer to have the step back timed with that. So my intention is to run this weeks 9 mile today and last weeks 5 mile next Monday. Confusing you yet ? :D

You think that's confusing? I have a Christening on Saturday and have to get my hair cut before hand :rolleyes: the only appointment I can get is 11am, so I am skipping tonights 7 mile pace, will do Saturday's 15 mile LSR tomorrow, will do tonights 7 mile pace on Saturday and do tomorrows 4 miles on Sunday :D

LOL, my head hurts, I think I need a lie down....

Advertisement