Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Funny thing during my run today. was doing 3 mile run at recovery pace which I hads worked out to run at around 12:00/mile which i know seems pretty slow to some others and I am still struggling to stay at that pace for the whole run. But was running along and a man decided to encourage me by telling me to hurry up as he was nearly faster than me walking. I just laughed it off but it definitely annoyed me a bit, i did ignore him though and tried to keep to my planned pace for the rest of the run. Really enjoying the plan nervous/excited for a 9 mile run at the weekend will be the longest ive ever run.

Should have asked him to join along and then see how quick he will shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

does anyone have any advice on running and pilates in the same day? i normally do a class every wednesday from 7-8 which leaves me tight for time after work and being lazy and sleeping in :o would it be madness to run from work to pilates tonight? planning on around 4 miles, leave work at 5.30 so i'd have some recovery time to de sweat before the class!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I regularly combine these two activities but always do the pilates first. Can't imagine it would be a problem the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Have finally got round to actually registering for the marathon. My bib no is 7164. Only 14 full weeks of training to go!

Have also registered for the Sligo Half Marathon on the 15th of September. Think its on the same day as the Half in Dublin but its much closer to home. Have also earmarked a local 5k and 10k race over the next few weeks to do so building up my own race series. The half is the main prep race though. The universal opinion seems to suggest this is the best way of testing your current progress and settling on a pace for the marathon itself. Anyone else doing Sligo?

I'm planning to do the half in Sligo. Did a 10km race in Lough Rynn last Sunday (in 47:44) so I would have an idea of pace for Sligo. The Mcmillan calculator has me at 1:46 for the half marathon which is a little scary as my previous HM 3 months ago was 1:57

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

bren69 wrote: »
    I'm planning to do the half in Sligo. Did a 10km race in Lough Rynn last Sunday (in 47:44) so I would have an idea of pace for Sligo. The Mcmillan calculator has me at 1:46 for the half marathon which is a little scary as my previous HM 3 months ago was 1:57

I would defo have you down for under 1.50 alright but some people seem to run excellent 10k's and then slow half's...well slow compared to their 10k's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm thinking of doing the kilkenny half marathon on September 16th. I have a lsr of 13miles for that weekend in HHN2 plan so would fit in well. I'm doing the midlands half marathon on August 12th so might wait and see how I get on in that before I register for kilkenny. Its great having a few races to aim for though. Makes all the work seem worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

I'm thinking of doing the kilkenny half marathon on September 16th. I have a lsr of 13miles for that weekend in HHN2 plan so would fit in well. I'm doing the midlands half marathon on August 12th so might wait and see how I get on in that before I register for kilkenny. Its great having a few races to aim for though. Makes all the work seem worthwhile!

I'm going to do the Kilkenny half marathon too. I'm doing the Clonmel half marathon in August though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

That might make 3 of us for the Kilkenny half, done it last year and got my PB of 1:39. It is relatively flat with a few inclines but there was a stiff head wind last year that made it more difficult.

I'm also going to do the Galway half on first weekend October as my last warm up event, it's very flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Doing the Midlands Half on August 12th to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

blockic wrote: »
    I'm also going to do the Galway half on first weekend October as my last warm up event, it's very flat.

I'd love to do that as it's my local race, but alas it's the same weekend as the Athlone 3/4!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I'd like to run a half a few weeks before DCM and the most suitable is Charleville, but this is on a weekend when I should be running 20 miles. If I push this LSR out a week I'll be running 2 long runs in successive weekends. I've run a couple of halfs this year but thought this might be a good way of gauging the time I should go out at. Is it ok to have these two runs on back to back weekends? I'd like to hit 20 miles 3 times during the program so I'd prefer not to drop this run. I'll attach the schedule for anyone that might be able to advise.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    I'd like to run a half a few weeks before DCM and the most suitable is Charleville, but this is on a weekend when I should be running 20 miles. If I push this LSR out a week I'll be running 2 long runs in successive weekends. I've run a couple of halfs this year but thought this might be a good way of gauging the time I should go out at. Is it ok to have these two runs on back to back weekends? I'd like to hit 20 miles 3 times during the program so I'd prefer not to drop this run. I'll attach the schedule for anyone that might be able to advise.

Thanks in advance.

It wouldn't be a good idea to race a half 2-3 weeks before your first marathon (or any marathon for that matter). It generally takes 1 day per mile raced for your body to fully recover from a race. This completely defeats the purpose of a taper where you allow the body to recover and get strong.
    You could race a 5-10k 2-3 weeks out if you wanted but no more than 10k IMO.

It's Ideal to race a Half 5-6 weeks out from your marathon. That way you will get a good idea of your fitness and Goal for a marathon while still allowing your body to benefit from the taper.

blockic wrote: »
    That might make 3 of us for the Kilkenny half, done it last year and got my PB of 1:39. It is relatively flat with a few inclines but there was a stiff head wind last year that made it more difficult.

I done the Galway Bay half and its a lovely course, well organised and nice reception at the end as well.

does anyone have any advice on running and pilates in the same day? i normally do a class every wednesday from 7-8 which leaves me tight for time after work and being lazy and sleeping in :o would it be madness to run from work to pilates tonight? planning on around 4 miles, leave work at 5.30 so i'd have some recovery time to de sweat before the class!

Well the rain started as I was just out the door! Unpleasant run all in all, will teach me to have a lie in! Pilates was enjoyable, can feel my core strengthening! Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Doing the Midlands Half on August 12th to.
    Cool i'll give you a wave at the start (before you take off in a cloud of dust)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMOuxQTneudDb-UD7Y5xv65rchkasUlHLjHMGEjvhUSA7iHQ8yLQ

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Thanks for the advice menoscemo. The half i was planning on is 5 weeks before DCM but its followed by a 20m and 21m the next two weeks and I'm just wondering if 3 tough weekends in a row is too much. I'll still have 3 weeks of tapering after these. Thanks again.

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice menoscemo. The half i was planning on is 5 weeks before DCM but its followed by a 20m and 21m the next two weeks and I'm just wondering if 3 tough weekends in a row is too much. I'll still have 3 weeks of tapering after these. Thanks again.

5 weeks out is perfect. That sounds like 3 tough weekends in a row alright but I guess most plans would be 3 weeks hard, 1 easy?

I'd say take the week up to the half very easy to allow yourself a peak performance (mini taper) and then you'll just have to suck it up for the following 2 weekends. At peak; marathon plans are tough but at least you'll have 3 weeks taper after :D. Remember to take your 20 and 21 mile runs nice and easy (LSR pace) the half 5 weeks out will give you all the indicators you need about pace and the 2 long runs will just be about buidling endurance so no need to run them fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Great tip I used last year for ice baths for anyone thinking of them after lsr. Leave old hoody or sweatshirt top and shorts on, also, keep socks on just over your toes. Sit into bath empty and start to run cold water, as bath fills an inch or two start to add ice.
    Also, bring cup of tea and good book or magazine, actually nearly makes the experience enjoyable! :cool:

Tried this tonight without the tea...think i'll bring the tea the next time! BRRRRRR!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

murphd77 wrote: »
    I regularly combine these two activities but always do the pilates first. Can't imagine it would be a problem the other way around.

Just to say that I do pilates and have done for the last few years......but I was always told to do any exercise or running before Pilates not after. You should rest the muscles after the class. As it will just undo all the good work from the class...........Does anybody else have any input.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Mr abbey wrote: »
    tenreds wrote: »
    Yeah legs really starting to feel the miles now,had to get my groin seen to tonight so no run today:( but have a 5K race tomorrow night so hopefully the rest will help with a good time,must try and slow the pace down more on the LSR as I think I'm running to fast,also going to try some cold baths after my runs on the weekends :eek:

Great tip I used last year for ice baths for anyone thinking of them after lsr. Leave old hoody or sweatshirt top and shorts on, also, keep socks on just over your toes. Sit into bath empty and start to run cold water, as bath fills an inch or two start to add ice.
    Also, bring cup of tea and good book or magazine, actually nearly makes the experience enjoyable! :cool:

I find that walking in the sea helps aid recovery too. The water is still very cold even though it's July!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

sheba 121 wrote: »
    Just to say that I do pilates and have done for the last few years......but I was always told to do any exercise or running before Pilates not after. You should rest the muscles after the class. As it will just undo all the good work from the class...........Does anybody else have any input.....smile.gif

I had same problem so switched my Pilates class to a Mondaybiggrin.gif Nice way of getting back to activity at start of the week

Tried running both before and after class. My body gets tired after pilates as is quite strenuous if doing properly - as Wednesday run is faster I couldn't maintain same pace so where possible went for run first. Found it fine doing class afterwards once had bit of a rest and ate something to get my energy back

My pilates instructor did say Pilates after a run was great for stretching out the hamstrings so another plus for doing the run first!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

The four mile went very well this evening. I was apprehensive after the bad session yesterday, but did it in 38 mins which is a new record. Back on track, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Just wondering if anyone else is aching all over since we started the HH plan?

I am a regular runner but distances don't usually go past 5 miles for a run as i just run to keep fit and to clear my head after work. Since I started the marathon schedule i feel like I got hit by a bus most of the time esp my back!

Going for back and neck massage this eve to help ease the tight muscles.

I sit at a computer all day so I guess that isn't helping.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    the half 5 weeks out will give you all the indicators you need about pace

Just another question about the half marathon being a pace indicator for the full marathon, I was thinking of doing the Clonmel half on August 19th which would be 14 weeks before the marathon, is that too early to get an indicator of pace? I could also do the Charleville half, but like Ecoenergy, I was worried that it's a bit close to the marathon and would leave me with 3 tough weeks in a row.

darabbit wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else is aching all over since we started the HH plan?

I am a regular runner but distances don't usually go past 5 miles for a run as i just run to keep fit and to clear my head after work. Since I started the marathon schedule i feel like I got hit by a bus most of the time esp my back!

Going for back and neck massage this eve to help ease the tight muscles.

I sit at a computer all day so I guess that isn't helping.:(

I think it depends on how I'm feeling on the day especially sleep and energy wise. I'm finding I am getting fitter but I have also taken heed to Young Anne and stopped the tempo running. I am now just sticking to the slow runs with a pace run on Wednesday. I was starting to get an ankle injury and I put it down to tempo running which I don't think I'm fit enough to be doing yet when I've already added these long runs, increased mileage and extra days.
    I also bought proper running socks as well as I my feet were getting sore from the sweat and friction.
    I think the massage/physio element is a great idea even if you don't think you need it. I have an appointment myself this evening and I know hes going to ask me about how much stretching I've been doing. He puts most injuries and feeling aching down to not stretching enough and he reckons I should be spending up to ten minutes on this alone and then another 5 each side of the run warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I can relate. Had same feeling on Monday & only on a short run. Put it down to tiredness & humidity. it's bound to happen. Best to just get back out there again after a bit of rest maybe. I keep getting a niggle in my right shin, not enought to stop running but enough to distract my mind for the whole run.
    Went to a physio last week & got a massage, he said my inner calves were very tight so got a new stretch for them. but it's still there. Should I rest or go physio again? I'm afraid to go over 10K in case I do more damage.
    Signed up for this Fingal 10K on Sunday.
    Did a marathon in 2006 Gold Coast & had similar problem during training but just rested for two weeks before it & made the finish, took 5:18 though ;-(
    Any advice? Thanks

ncmc wrote: »
    Just another question about the half marathon being a pace indicator for the full marathon, I was thinking of doing the Clonmel half on August 19th which would be 14 weeks before the marathon, is that too early to get an indicator of pace? I could also do the Charleville half, but like Ecoenergy, I was worried that it's a bit close to the marathon and would leave me with 3 tough weeks in a row.

Possibly; it depends a lot on whether you have been training consistently even before the marathon plan or are on a steep 'upward curve' (in which case you might improve significantly in the next 14 weeks). I Based my second marathon target on a half I ran 5 months before the marathon, but I had been training consistenly for the previous 18 months so my upward curve had already flattened out a bit :p.

Still though, even 14 weeks out it should give you plenty of indicators. Marathon goal would normally be something like double your HM time and add 10%. That should just be taken as an indicator though, no more than that, use it as a way of ensuring you don't go out too fast. The most important thing is still to enjoy your first marathon.

FiiFii wrote: »
    I had same problem so switched my Pilates class to a Mondaybiggrin.gif Nice way of getting back to activity at start of the week

Tried running both before and after class. My body gets tired after pilates as is quite strenuous if doing properly - as Wednesday run is faster I couldn't maintain same pace so where possible went for run first. Found it fine doing class afterwards once had bit of a rest and ate something to get my energy back

My pilates instructor did say Pilates after a run was great for stretching out the hamstrings so another plus for doing the run first!

I think i'll be switching to the monday alright! do we go to the same class?? :eek: i feel raring to go again today after the stretches yesterday, really helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

It seems like most people are finding this week difficult which is good. Its been by far my hardest week for no reason. I'm feeling more niggles in my legs which I wasn't feeling last week even though I was running longer distances. I've slowed down my pace for this week so not running as fast. Hoping the next day recovery goes well!

Advertisement