Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

NoelJ wrote: »
    It seems like most people are finding this week difficult which is good. Its been by far my hardest week for no reason. I'm feeling more niggles in my legs which I wasn't feeling last week even though I was running longer distances. I've slowed down my pace for this week so not running as fast. Hoping the next day recovery goes well!

Same here. This week is the first time I've dropped a run in weeks.
    Ankle was playing up. New trainers and more effort on maintaining my form seems to have it sorted. Think when I was doing to the last LSR I was going slow and at the right pace but my form was probably sloppy and lazy, and very different to my normal paced runs. Just getting used to the LSRs now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Possibly; it depends a lot on whether you have been training consistently even before the marathon plan or are on a steep 'upward curve' (in which case you might improve significantly in the next 14 weeks). I Based my second marathon target on a half I ran 5 months before the marathon, but I had been training consistenly for the previous 18 months so my upward curve had already flattened out a bit :p.

Still though, even 14 weeks out it should give you plenty of indicators. Marathon goal would normally be something like double your HM time and add 10%. That should just be taken as an indicator though, no more than that, use it as a way of ensuring you don't go out too fast. The most important thing is still to enjoy your first marathon.
    Sorry, got that a bit a*rsways! The Clonmel half is ten weeks before the marathon, not 14 :rolleyes:. I suppose I can do Clonmel and see how I feel about Charleville closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

all midweek runs down.

resting up for sunday.

weather looks a shade warm for a quick time but you never know.

seem my runners i have which are perfect NB 860 for £42.50 so I might just a new pair now

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I was back to the physio yesterday about my knee. I haven't run now in 10 days and she says another two weeks out, that's a no go for the 10k this weekend. This years marathon seems to be slipping out of my grasp, I knew an injury could put me out but I didn't expect it this early. My longest LSR was 9 miles. Is it totally unrealistic to think I could could pick things back up after 3-4 weeks out? Will be gutted if I can't run it after all my hard work this whole year. Am still avidly reading about everyone elses running, good luck to everyone racing on Sunday!! Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 mile run in 33 degree heat today was cut back to 4k as frankly it was way too hot. I think I used up more calories though in that 4k than I would doing a 4 miler !

• Advertisement

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I was back to the physio yesterday about my knee. I haven't run now in 10 days and she says another two weeks out, that's a no go for the 10k this weekend. This years marathon seems to be slipping out of my grasp, I knew an injury could put me out but I didn't expect it this early. My longest LSR was 9 miles. Is it totally unrealistic to think I could could pick things back up after 3-4 weeks out? Will be gutted if I can't run it after all my hard work this whole year. Am still avidly reading about everyone elses running, good luck to everyone racing on Sunday!! Dee

Don't give up hope just yet. Maybe reset your goals. Instead of doing it in 4 hours. Maybe make it 5 hours.

See how things are going in a 6 weeks time

No not unrealistic at all. Your base level of fitness will still be there. Can you do some alternative excercise - maybe swimming etc to keep your fitmess level up as high as possible. I'd be thankful the injury cropped up now - this far out rather than 4 weeks before the marathon itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

NoelJ wrote: »
    It seems like most people are finding this week difficult which is good. Its been by far my hardest week for no reason. I'm feeling more niggles in my legs which I wasn't feeling last week even though I was running longer distances. I've slowed down my pace for this week so not running as fast. Hoping the next day recovery goes well!

Another one here finding this week problematic. Well all was fine until my 4 miles today (having done 4 on tues and 7 last night). 2 miles in I started getting discomfort in my right hip flexor. It got fairly uncomfortable. I stopped (dived in to a hedge actually:rolleyes:) to let a tractor past me and thankfully the pain had gone when I started running again. I changed my stride a bit for the rest of the run and it was ok, back to just a niggle. I'm sitting here now with a bag of frozen peas on it.

So any advice on this. My guess is I should see a physio, but I will be gutted if I have to rest, I have a 15 mile LSR scheduled for Sunday and more importantly a half marathon next Sunday. Any similar experiences out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Aw sucks:mad: Thats so disappointing for you! But you should keep your head up. I know 4 weeks seems like a long time but it sounds like you have a good solid fitness base to fall back on and if you don't worry about doing it in a certain time I think you'll be fine. My sister did the Gold Coast marathon a few weeks ago and her training was pretty sporadic to say the least. Now she did get 2 or 3 18 mile runs in but other than that it was fairly inconsistent. She was knackered after 15 miles on the day but she finished in 4hrs 26 min so trust me anything is possible:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Kind of relieved to hear I'm not the only one having a tough week! :rolleyes:

I've never been to a physio and have a heap of very basic questions that I hope someone on here can help me with. :confused:

(Preface every question with "Typically...") How long does an appointment last? How much does it cost? What happens in the appointment? (Like do I run, or does the physio just look at me & poke me?) Do I need to wear running gear or can I go in jeans? Can I just go once or do I need to be going every week or two or three?

Does anyone know if you can get a physio appointment on a medical card? Would you need to be referred by a GP?

I don't have any injury at the moment, these questions are really just so I have someone in mind incase it happens soon! And I think a sports massage would do my legs some good!

Also, does anyone have any experience with Phoenix Performance Centre in Castleknock? They're near me so would be handy, but I'd have no clue if they're any good if I go there. Well if you've been there, would really appreciate it if you could PM me to let me know if you'd recommend them. Or other recommendations around the D15 area would be great. Thanks! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Bit early to fret yet! I have completed one marathon in Edinburgh in May and started training, from scratch, in January. Four weeks into my 16 week Lucozade training plan i got injured - wrong shoes, too much too soon, wrong pace - and was out. Kept trying to come back and ended up out for 6 weeks. Moderated my training from one targeting 4.00 - 4.45 to one targeting 4.45+ and finished just under 5. Following the Physio and Doctor instructions were what got me back - left to my own devices I'd probably still be out.

Btw to the other poster's question on Physio fees - mine charges E45 for the consultation which normally lasts an hour or so including any treatment / punishment required.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

+1 to Dilbert75's point. The DCM is still possible, but you may need to rethink your goals. You still have all Aug/Sept and most of Oct so there's lots of time yet to get some good training in. The most important thing is to be sensible when you come back. Don't try and get back to where you were straight away - that's usually a short-cut to another injury. The joys of marathon training:rolleyes:

I've never been to a physio and have a heap of very basic questions that I hope someone on here can help me with. :confused:

(Preface every question with "Typically...") How long does an appointment last? How much does it cost? What happens in the appointment? (Like do I run, or does the physio just look at me & poke me?) Do I need to wear running gear or can I go in jeans? Can I just go once or do I need to be going every week or two or three?

Does anyone know if you can get a physio appointment on a medical card? Would you need to be referred by a GP?

I don't have any injury at the moment, these questions are really just so I have someone in mind incase it happens soon! And I think a sports massage would do my legs some good!

Also, does anyone have any experience with Phoenix Performance Centre in Castleknock? They're near me so would be handy, but I'd have no clue if they're any good if I go there. Well if you've been there, would really appreciate it if you could PM me to let me know if you'd recommend them. Or other recommendations around the D15 area would be great. Thanks! :cool:

Mine charges me €40 for 30mins to give him the pleasure of hurting me. Sometimes I feel I should charge him. My advice is get recommendations on a physio to go to.

My physio recommends R.I.C.E. if you feel any problems especially around ankles and feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

1, Mine costs 40 euros for 45 mins with every 4th treatment free
    2, You should wear shorts and no fake tan, they dont want brown hands.
    3, They have a chat with you first, ask you your history about injuries and serious sicknesses as Cancer patients would need to be careful about treatment.They will ask about any concerns you have, any soreness, injuries, niggles.
    4, Some physios have special machines for guaging your level of injury etc. Mine doesnt
    5, Mine has never asked me to run, the most he asked was to stand on one leg to see if I actually could with an injury I had.
    7, They will put slight pressure on areas where you feel pain or soreness. Mine asks me to tell him on what level 1-6 the pain is with 6 being way to much. He will gradually release the tension in tight areas. Nothing brutal though. You can tell him any time when its too much and he'll ease up a bit.
    7, You may have your legs measured to see if they're out of alignment.
    8, It can be a little daunting first until you trust the person, at least it was for me as I was afraid he might accidentally injure me.
    9, I think a few sessions are required, the first one can be a little more like investigation and chatting. I would say once every two weeks or once a month if you're not in too much pain. Once a week if you have an injury. There are far worse things you could be spending your money on.
    10, He will give you strengthening exercises/stretches to do if he finds any weaknesses and you should keep them up as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm in Dublin 15 but go to Celbridge for physio. The one in Blanchardstown beside Superquinn is one to avoid IMO. Darren in Base2Race (DK Orthotics) is excellent. Drop me a pm if you want the details for my physio, I couldn't recommend them enough.

I left my short run tonight, got home too late from work and had a physio session booked. Hopefully it wont have too much of an impact but im racing sunday anyway. I'll have to start trying to do the 3 short runs back to back again. I didnt do the three in three consecutive days last week and now missing it this week. Its so easy to make excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Dammit - first week where I was actually sticking to the program (Half marathon messed everything up) then felt the sniffles come on this morning :mad:

Taken the evening off to rest as have to do my LSR tomorrow - laser eye surgery in the afternoon so no running for a week apparently :( Am I mad that am more worried about falling behind on my marathon plan than the surgery itself??
    I think i'll be switching to the monday alright! do we go to the same class?? :eek: i feel raring to go again today after the stretches yesterday, really helps

Did wonder that alright - Chill Pilates on Long mile road...????

FiiFii wrote: »
    Dammit - first week where I was actually sticking to the program (Half marathon messed everything up) then felt the sniffles come on this morning :mad:

Taken the evening off to rest as have to do my LSR tomorrow - laser eye surgery in the afternoon so no running for a week apparently :( Am I mad that am more worried about falling behind on my marathon plan than the surgery itself??

sounds like a flourishing friendship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Right leg niggles are back :mad: Had to stop half way around my 3m this evening to massage my thigh. Lucky I'm booked into Physio tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Physios are gonna make a killing from this thread over the next few weeks by the looks of it!!

Im going to have to line one up over the next couple of days also. The niggles and aches are starting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Rega wrote: »
    I'm going to do the Kilkenny half marathon too. I'm doing the Clonmel half marathon in August though.

Hi Rega am planning on clonmel too, see ya there :) Although it will probably be just at the start as it will be my first half and I have no idea what time I am capable of. My pb for 10k is 57:37 in Great Ireland run so reckon I am looking at 2 hours plus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well just when I thought it was being a tough week, went and did the Liberties 4mile/6.5k in a time that was at least 4mins better than I had planned. happy days. Great run, great course, great people. Fantastic traffic calming by the Gardai, who are obviously "invested" in this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

FiiFii wrote: »

I had laser eye surgery done 6 or 7 years ago. It the business.:D Couldn't recommend it enough. It makes life so much better but only people with bad eyesight understand!! The surgery is grand. I had it done twice cause my eyesight was so bad and the first time it hardly hurt at all, just a bit uncomfortable for a few days after. The second time was a bit more painful but I think that was cause my eyes were more sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Younganne wrote: »
    Guys it'll soon be time to start experimenting with gels, for the longer runs to see how they are with your stomach....so if you're in any sports shops buy a few different ones to see how you get on..
    ...trial and error with the gels and sometimes error is not nice:eek:

Need to start trying out gels. Have heard stories about horrible taste, not good on your stomach etc. But, I guess we got to use them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Funny thing during my run today. was doing 3 mile run at recovery pace which I hads worked out to run at around 12:00/mile which i know seems pretty slow to some others and I am still struggling to stay at that pace for the whole run. But was running along and a man decided to encourage me by telling me to hurry up as he was nearly faster than me walking. I just laughed it off but it definitely annoyed me a bit, i did ignore him though and tried to keep to my planned pace for the rest of the run. Really enjoying the plan nervous/excited for a 9 mile run at the weekend will be the longest ive ever run.

I'm just catching up on posts. Thanks Martin for posting this. I like to run in the morning but one day it had to be in the evening and was 9pm before I got out. A teenager told me I was short & fat. To be fair, I am short! I made the mistake of answering him back and spent the rest of my run looking over my shoulder.

Other than that, I'm progressing along nicely. Knees starting to hurt a bit. I had a massage during the week and going to see a physio. Never been to one before but want to try sort it out.

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    I'm just catching up on posts. Thanks Martin for posting this. I like to run in the morning but one day it had to be in the evening and was 9pm before I got out. A teenager told me I was short & fat. To be fair, I am short! I made the mistake of answering him back and spent the rest of my run looking over my shoulder.

Other than that, I'm progressing along nicely. Knees starting to hurt a bit. I had a massage during the week and going to see a physio. Never been to one before but want to try sort it out.

Take heart from the fact that his life is so sad that he gets his kicks from throwing abuse at random strangers. His life is miserable and you are 100 times the person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

I had laser eye surgery done 6 or 7 years ago. It the business.:D Couldn't recommend it enough. It makes life so much better but only people with bad eyesight understand!! The surgery is grand. I had it done twice cause my eyesight was so bad and the first time it hardly hurt at all, just a bit uncomfortable for a few days after. The second time was a bit more painful but I think that was cause my eyes were more sensitive

Looking forward to not having my glasses steam up whenever out for a run and it happens to rain!!

So I did my LSR last night because of the christening I have this weekend and other stuff that’s leaving me short on time. I did 15 miles in exactly 2 hours 30, so that’s 10 minute miles. I was convinced I’d have a horrible run as I’d been working all day and also it was only 4 days after my last LSR. Have to say it was great, didn’t find that pace hard to maintain, took one High 5 Isogel which definitely helped me through the tricky ‘middle miles’. Can’t say I’m even particularly stiff today, reading through this thread I realise how lucky I have been to stay injury free so far. Hope everyone gets their niggles sorted.

Just checked my running log, by the end of the week I will have run nearly 500 miles so far this year! That’s like running the whole length of the country and half way back! So hopefully I’m well on for my 1000 mile target for the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ncmc wrote: »
    Just checked my running log, by the end of the week I will have run nearly 500 miles so far this year! That’s like running the whole length of the country and half way back! So hopefully I’m well on for my 1000 mile target for the year :D

best feeling ever. Im just worried that after the marathon i wont be motivated to finish out the last couple of hundred miles!

I still plan on running 5 miles on new years eve to finish it though!

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    best feeling ever. Im just worried that after the marathon i wont be motivated to finish out the last couple of hundred miles!

I still plan on running 5 miles on new years eve to finish it though!
    +1 I worked out that if I follow the plan exactly, i'll have something like 900 miles done, that last 100 could be a real struggle!

Advertisement