Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ncmc wrote: »
    +1 I worked out that if I follow the plan exactly, i'll have something like 900 miles done, that last 100 could be a real struggle!

Easy solution: go metric! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    Need to start trying out gels. Have heard stories about horrible taste, not good on your stomach etc. But, I guess we got to use them!!

I have tried a lot gels over the last year:-
    Powerbar
    Kinetica - wheres the f'''in toilet....
    Maxifuel Viper
    Maxifuel Active
    High 5 Energy gel
    .SIS.....

they were all awful, really difficult to digest.. required water etc..

and then one day I discovered....

High 5 ISOGEL... changed my running completely... easy to digest, no water required, no repeating etc..

Maybe it is down to personal choice, but for me the ISOGEL is a totally different consistency...

I do not work for High5 by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

SnailsPace wrote: »
    I have tried a lot gels over the last year:-
    Powerbar
    Kinetica - wheres the f'''in toilet....
    Maxifuel Viper
    Maxifuel Active
    High 5 Energy gel
    .SIS.....

they were all awful, really difficult to digest.. required water etc..

Yes, the idea with all of those is that you take them with water. So if you were going to take them, you'd have to work out where and when you'd take them in advance, to line up with the water stations. (eg, I took mine at miles 6, 12, 18, 21, because there are water stations every 3 miles)

The isogels are already mixed with water. That means they can be taken at any time. But it also means they contain far less energy, so you'd need to take more to have the same effect (and then they're bigger than other gels, which makes it awkward)

If your stomach can't handle them, that's fine, don't take them. But you should try them with water first.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Thanks everyone for the encouragement to keep the head up and not give up on the marathon for this year....yet! Itching to get back at it once I get this knee sorted and using my foam roller like a demon and stretching anywhere thats it possible to stretch, Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Survived trip to Physio - rubbed out some ferocious knots in both my calf and hamstrings, said I'd be best not to run for 48 hours, so gonna swap my LSR and cross training (cycle tomorrow, run Sunday pm) and start doing all those stretches she gave me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Back from my lsr. 13miles today. Went a bit too fast. Did it in 1 hr 53 but it was only for the last couple of miles I really picked up the pace and I sprinted the last 100m. I know, I know, naughty naughty going fast on your long slooow run but it was a lovely morning and I was feeling good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Quick update from our spreadsheet.

We have now collectively passed 5,000 miles logged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

11 mile LSR done this morning, gorgeous morning for a run, felt good. Live along the N11 so ran through UCD and up Roebuck Rd hill which is on the marthon route at about 19/20 miles and has a reputation for being a killer. Didn't seem too scary but I was only at 6 miles when I ran up it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Back from my lsr of 9 miles,lovely morning for it. Bit of pain in the ball of right foot about 6 miles in until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Just ran a hilly LSR. Ran 15.3k and a few friends ran with me for half the distance. I was averaging 6m07sec/km for the first half but when I was on my own I had plenty in the tank and pushed myself a bit. Managed to get the average pace down to 5m50sec/km. Chuffed to bits with the run. I can see a huge difference in my running performance since I started following this group and learning to slow down in my runs. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Thanks Mr Slow & rasher_m for your physio advice! Glad to have an idea of what to expect going in.

Looking forward to the 10k race in Swords tomorrow. I've really seen my fitness improve over the last few weeks, even when I have a tough week. Hopefully I'll wake up in fighting form in the morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

After everyone having such a hard week, people seemed to enjoy the lsr which is good. I did my 11 miles today and was really happy with it. I felt refreshed after. I can see the benefits already from training.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Having 3 weeks in Ireland in August, bit of time away from London. I'm due to do the 1/2 marathon on 18 or 19 August. My niece's first birthday is that weekend and defo don't want to miss that or not be able to enjoy it.

I'll do the 1/2 marathon the week before or after. I've relies in Limerick, Tipperary, Carlow and Dublin. Will have a car so can travel a bit. Any good 1/2 marathons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Having 3 weeks in Ireland in August, bit of time away from London. I'm due to do the 1/2 marathon on 18 or 19 August. My niece's first birthday is that weekend and defo don't want to miss that or not be able to enjoy it.

I'll do the 1/2 marathon the week before or after. I've relies in Limerick, Tipperary, Carlow and Dublin. Any good 1/2 marathons?

You could do the midlands Half marathon on 12th August. It is within an hour of all the places you mention above.

http://midlandshalfmarathon.com/

Thanks so much Menoscemo. Looks good. However, I've just realised I got my dates wrong. We only arrive off the ferry on the morning of 12 August so that might be a bit too much. Guess I'm looking at 25/26 August. Any suggestions please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks so much Menoscemo. Looks good. However, I've just realised I got my dates wrong. We only arrive off the ferry on the morning of 12 August so that might be a bit too much. Guess I'm looking at 25/26 August. Any suggestions please?

Ok Then :D
    You could do the Longford Half on 26th August.
    About 80 mins drive from Dublin.

http://www.longfordmarathon.com/

The Frank Duffy race (10 miles) is on in the phoenix park in Dublin on the 25th..
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

Few pictures of my current local area.

Pictures don't do the hills justice at all. When you add in the 30 - 40 degree heat to the mix it's one of the hardest set of "runs" I've ever done (plenty of walking on the worst of the uphills) but what a stunning location.

menoscemo wrote: »
    You could do the Longford Half on 26th August.

Thanks again Menoscemo. That date would suit me nicely.

I seem to be doing fine following the plan, but not sure when I've to change things around. If I'm doing the 1/2 marathon race 26 August, I'm wondering if I run the 15 mile lsr the week before with the 10 mile lsr the week after or vice versa!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Pictures don't do the hills justice at all. When you add in the 30 - 40 degree heat to the mix it's one of the hardest set of "runs" I've ever done (plenty of walking on the worst of the uphills) but what a stunning location.

Bloody hell. The LSR must have been so difficult!

Deadly....its a 50km endurance run you'll be ready for by the end of holiday:eek:

• Advertisement

18k LSR today - my longest run in a long, long, long time. It went very well I think, very comfortable doing the run in just under 2 hrs. Biggest problem was hydration. I don't have a belt so decided to pick up a drink on the way at a shop in knew to be at about the half way point. Only problem was the shop had closed! Managed to find another not too far away, luckily (Bayside area, not too many shops about). Do people carry water or what? I noticed some runners with belts with large bottles attached, looks a little awkward but better than dying of thirst I guess. Suggestions please!

Knees a bit sore afterwards, but it's not that long since they used to feel that way after 5k so progress is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

12 mile today. Didn't go as well as I'd have liked. I've been fighting a cold/flu all week.

I basically felt like stopping after 8 miles. I've done 10 miles before easily enough. I am hoping it's just a case of having the cold and not getting enough sleep. And also I let my diet go a bit

We shall see

murphd77 wrote: »
    18k LSR today - my longest run in a long, long, long time. It went very well I think, very comfortable doing the run in just under 2 hrs. Biggest problem was hydration. I don't have a belt so decided to pick up a drink on the way at a shop in knew to be at about the half way point. Only problem was the shop had closed! Managed to find another not too far away, luckily (Bayside area, not too many shops about). Do people carry water or what? I noticed some runners with belts with large bottles attached, looks a little awkward but better than dying of thirst I guess. Suggestions please!

Knees a bit sore afterwards, but it's not that long since they used to feel that way after 5k so progress is being made.
    Hey Murph. I have a belt. Got it a couple of weeks ago and today was my 2nd day using it. Find it great. Was very comfortable today on my lsr

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Hey PM great pics,can I ask what's it like running in that heat,going on holidays myself next week,I was thinking about getting up around 7 and doing my runs then as maybe not so hot (2 weeks in Lanzarote :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

6 miles into my 9 mile LSR today my left calf muscle tore. I had sore legs for the last couple of days but thought I was just fatigued after the 3 runs earlier in the week (done at a faster pace than previous weeks). I hobbled to a friends house for a lift home and then into an ice bath but walking with a nice limp now. If I'm honest I did doubt if I was ok this morning but wanted to get the miles in. My pal is a physio and he says that I'll be out for at least 10 days at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I don't like wearing a belt or carrying stuff around with me, so i actually drive the route prior to my run and create my own water stops!

However would only work if you live in the country obviously

blockic wrote: »
    However would only work if you live in the country obviously

Intriguing idea - I think this could be made to work in the city too. Anyone else do this? I do this all the time with short local park runs, hiding a bottle in a tree or behind a bush. But haven't applied the concept to long runs yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Week 5

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday|Friday |Saturday |Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|5 m/8k|3 m/5k|rest|10 m/16k|cross

posting for Anne (and getting flashbacks :))

Intriguing idea - I think this could be made to work in the city too. Anyone else do this? I do this all the time with short local park runs, hiding a bottle in a tree or behind a bush. But haven't applied the concept to long runs yet!

I needed all the water in my bottle during the 9mile run yesterday. I did think about hiding a second bottle somewhere in the park for when the LSRs get much longer. :)

• Advertisement

tenreds wrote: »
    Hey PM great pics,can I ask what's it like running in that heat,going on holidays myself next week,I was thinking about getting up around 7 and doing my runs then as maybe not so hot (2 weeks in Lanzarote :) )

It's a massive difference. Sunrise here is around 6am and it's hot straight away. It does peak as you'd expect around midday but you're talking temps of around 30 degrees just after sunrise and just before sunset. There is a definite difference though as midday approaches 40 degrees here if there's no clouds so running first thing in morning or last thing in the evening is definitely a wise move.

I found that after 200 metres I felt like I had ran 2 km at home. You're straight into sweating, feeling the heart rate up etc. Where I am is particularly hilly which doesn't help. It's actually too steep to run up the hills and too steep to run down them too. :P I'm looking at even the half walking half running as keeping up some sort of fitness level and looking forward to getting out for a good LSR when I get home.

Advertisement