Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Week 5

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday|Friday |Saturday |Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|5 m/8k|3 m/5k|rest|10 m/16k|cross

posting for Anne (and getting flashbacks :))

See above.

If you're happy to do strides throw them in, I would do them at the end of Thursday's run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 5

Heres this weeks plan for those of you who missed it. Ray posted for me as i was away for a few days hols....Thanks Ray!!

Straight forward running this week...miles are increasing!!!

Now to find time to read back over what i missed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Yay its a runnning day:D 5km race for me this Sunday. Based on my 5 mile time Mcmillan has me down for a 5k in 22.26 so thats my goal:eek:
    Here's the plan for the week:
    Mon - rest
    Tues - 4m rec
    Wed - 9m lsr
    Thur - 4m rec
    Fri - 4m slow
    Sat - rest
    Sun - race

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Younganne wrote: »
    Week 5

Heres this weeks plan for those of you who missed it. Ray posted for me as i was away for a few days hols....Thanks Ray!!

Straight forward running this week...miles are increasing!!!

Now to find time to read back over what i missed!!!

Thanks a mill! Hope you had a nice holiday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Back from my 15 mile LSR and man was it warm out, have 2 loops i run around my way, 8mile loop and 7mile. So off i went on 8mile one first, by time i had that done i had to go back and change completely. I was soaked through with sweat, same after the 7mile loop. Garmin says i burnt over 2,500 calories running. Had to do my LSR midweek this week, doing An Post Meath Heritage cycle at weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Just started following this thread and there is some brilliant information on here. I have been doing the odd 10k and have done both races in the series and my goal was the half marathon but i wont be able to do it now as ill be away for the middle 2 weeks of sep.

What are peoples opinions on being ready for the full even though i will have missed the half due to the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

stevekavo wrote: »
    Just started following this thread and there is some brilliant information on here. I have been doing the odd 10k and have done both races in the series and my goal was the half marathon but i wont be able to do it now as ill be away for the middle 2 weeks of sep.

What are peoples opinions on being ready for the full even though i will have missed the half due to the holidays.

Can you even do some running while away?

Doesn't have to be the full LSR but just still clocking up the miles in someway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

tang1 wrote: »
    Back from my 15 mile LSR and man was it warm out, have 2 loops i run around my way, 8mile loop and 7mile. So off i went on 8mile one first, by time i had that done i had to go back and change completely. I was soaked through with sweat, same after the 7mile loop. Garmin says i burnt over 2,500 calories running. Had to do my LSR midweek this week, doing An Post Meath Heritage cycle at weekend.

Fair play to you Tang, its mega clammy and close out there, so that's a great achievement to get 15 miles done in these conditions. Make sure you drink plenty of water and I find Diorylite great for avoiding dehydration!

ncmc wrote: »
    Fair play to you Tang, its mega clammy and close out there, so that's a great achievement to get 15 miles done in these conditions. Make sure you drink plenty of water and I find Diorylite great for avoiding dehydration!

Cheers ncmc, it was nice to get that run done and out of the way in such humid weather alright. Have been drinking water since i finished so hopefully no issues with dehydration. I've heard Diorylite is good for replacing lost electrolytes, would you recommend it?

How many days a week running are you doing, you following a particular plan aimed at doing the marathon??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

The half is just a test for yourself to give yourself an idea of how fast your pace might be for the half and also to give you an idea of how fit you are over a half marathon at race pace.

Its not compulsary by any means and im sure theres loads of people who are running the marathon but not running the half due to holidays, not having the spare cash or not living in Dublin. Its not a big deal at all so dont let it put you off.

It would be good if you could run while away though, particularly the LSR if it is due to increase at this time.

Trampas wrote: »
    Can you even do some running while away?

Doesn't have to be the full LSR but just still clocking up the miles in someway?

Yeah i was thinking that, if i do a couple of small runs i hope ill be ok.

At the moment i run 2/3 times midweek around 8/9 k and do about 10 miles at the weekend but ill be increasing this as time goes on. I also cycle 26k every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Cheers ncmc, it was nice to get that run done and out of the way in such humid weather alright. Have been drinking water since i finished so hopefully no issues with dehydration. I've heard Diorylite is good for replacing lost electrolytes, would you recommend it?

I’d really recommend it, I find it hydrates me so much quicker than water. I know there are tablets and supplements you can get in sports shops for hydration, but I find diorylite cheap, handy and can be bought in any pharmacy. It’s a god send in weather like this!

Yeah i was thinking that, if i do a couple of small runs i hope ill be ok.

At the moment i run 2/3 times midweek around 8/9 k and do about 10 miles at the weekend but ill be increasing this as time goes on. I also cycle 26k every day.

I'd say you should be ok if you keep going like that, any chance you could get a half in before your holidays? Its good indicator to let you know on a ROUGH marathon time.

I’d really recommend it, I find it hydrates me so much quicker than water. I know there are tablets and supplements you can get in sports shops for hydration, but I find diorylite cheap, handy and can be bought in any pharmacy. It’s a god send in weather like this!

I'll give them a go, thanks ncmc.

I'd say you should be ok if you keep going like that, any chance you could get a half in before your holidays? Its good indicator to let you know on a ROUGH marathon time.

I head away on the 6th of sep so im looking around to see if there is any races on that aren't too far away,otherwise i will just do the half route in the park that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I head away on the 6th of sep so im looking around to see if there is any races on that aren't too far away,otherwise i will just do the half route in the park that week.

The Longford Half Marathon is on the 26th August.

There's one in PortLoais on the 12th Ausut aswell (midlands Half Marathon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Pigging out tonight so?! :D Good stuff btw

Pigging out tonight so?! :D Good stuff btw

Thanks, yorkie raisin & biscuit extent of my pigging out unfortunately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Fair play, 15miles is some going with that humidity outside! Went for 4 and was sweating buckets, can't imagine 15!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Went for my 6 mile run today. It was still 24 degrees here but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Its meant to be 25 on Friday from 10 to 10 nearly so my LSR will be a really LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I wish I had your complaint about the heat. I got saturated this eve but not like ye. It's lashing down here in Galway. I had to dodge some serious flooding in places.:(I was imagining what it would be loke tunning 26 miles in this weather...not very appealing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Reading through the thread with a wee bit of envy of all you folk out running today. I've decided to rest up this week as my hip is still bothering me and I really don't want to aggravate it. I have a half marathon on Sunday so its rest and plenty of ice on the injury for me until then. Its so hard not to run, I miss it already and I've only missed one 4 miler! I chickened out of seeing a physio this week in favour of putting it off until after the half - in fear of being told not to run on Sunday :eek: Praying for a problem free run on Sunday and looking forward to getting back to week 6 of the plan with everyone else doing Novice 2 next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

still on hols and using the threadmill to get my midweek runs in but not sure how im going to get the LSR done on Sat. Weather is very hot here and humidity is bad:eek:. Ah well fingers crossed I get some of it done.......I might leave it till next Tuesday as im flying home that morning and I could do it that evening.......

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... :mad: got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it. Missing 2 weeks of training at this stage is a disaster, my target of a 3.30 marathon may not be in reach when i get back to it... :(

wowzer wrote: »
    Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... :mad: got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it. Missing 2 weeks of training at this stage is a disaster, my target of a 3.30 marathon may not be in reach when i get back to it... :(

Of course it will be sure you're as fit as a fiddle and very determined too. I see faster than 3.30 for you!

sheba 121 wrote: »
    still on hols and using the threadmill to get my midweek runs in but not sure how im going to get the LSR done on Sat. Weather is very hot here and humidity is bad:eek:. Ah well fingers crossed I get some of it done.......I might leave it till next Tuesday as im flying home that morning and I could do it that evening.......

I would do the LSR on the treadmill if it was me, one LSR on that type of surface will not take away from your training. Just get an mp3 player to take away the boredom and a few bottles of water. At least you dont have to worry about the length of the route.

I remember a few years ago working for a guy who trained for his entire marathon on a treadmill and he got in at 4.05.
    Its not ideal but he got through it, due to work committments he couldnt train much outside of using the gym in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... :mad: got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it.

Sorry to hear that - is this new to you or a recurring injury? Any idea of the cause in your case? I only ask because I'm fairly new to the sport myself, not exactly in the first flush of youth, and being a bit of a fatalist I'm half expecting to get injured now that I'm starting to get excited about making it to the DCM!

Tough luck wowzer, rest up for the 2 weeks and come back good & strong. As rasher m said, you have quicker than 3.30 in you. At least it happened now and not a month or so out from DCM so you have time to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

murphd77 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that - is this new to you or a recurring injury? Any idea of the cause in your case? I only ask because I'm fairly new to the sport myself, not exactly in the first flush of youth, and being a bit of a fatalist I'm half expecting to get injured now that I'm starting to get excited about making it to the DCM!
    its a recurring problem i have, initially it came about when I started to 6 days a week from 4 days, this time it flared up again from and increase in milage and intensity. Might also have something to do with my runners, will have to get my gait analysed properly and see about changing shoe. It's an awful niggle to have as when I was walking and running sub consiously I was also putting extra pressure on the outside of the foot and this was causing a problem in my calf too. Ah well rest up is doctors orders so will do as he says and hopefully ill be back on track sooner rather than later.

Advertisement