Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Reading through the thread with a wee bit of envy of all you folk out running today. I've decided to rest up this week as my hip is still bothering me and I really don't want to aggravate it. I have a half marathon on Sunday so its rest and plenty of ice on the injury for me until then. Its so hard not to run, I miss it already and I've only missed one 4 miler! I chickened out of seeing a physio this week in favour of putting it off until after the half - in fear of being told not to run on Sunday :eek: Praying for a problem free run on Sunday and looking forward to getting back to week 6 of the plan with everyone else doing Novice 2 next week :)
    wowzer wrote: »
    Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... mad.gif got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it. Missing 2 weeks of training at this stage is a disaster, my target of a 3.30 marathon may not be in reach when i get back to it... frown.gif

So sorry to hear about your respective injuries Runchick and Wowser. Try not to panic just yet, you both have a really good fitness base and the couple of weeks off hopefully won’t affect your training too much. Just take it handy when you do get back to it and don’t try and make up for lost time, you could end up making things a lot worse.

Sending lots of healing energy your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

So after a pretty uninspiring performance at the Fingal 10k I needed a bit of a pick me up...So I finally registered for the DCM!

It's all real now baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

So after a pretty uninspiring performance at the Fingal 10k I needed a bit of a pick me up...So I finally registered for the DCM!

It's all real now baby!

Im afraid to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

rasher_m wrote: »
    Im afraid to enter

Go on, you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Im afraid to enter

Just do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Im afraid to enter

Do it, do it do it!!! It feels great and just a bit scary :pac: I was buzzing all day after entering :D

ncmc wrote: »
    Do it, do it do it!!! It feels great and just a bit scary :pac: I was buzzing all day after entering :D
    Same as, I was debating with myself for ages and when I finally took the plunge it felt great....

Same as, I was debating with myself for ages and when I finally took the plunge it felt great....

I think its cause I'm still running distances that I've done before but in about 3 weeks It'll crank up to the unknown and I'm not sure how I'll feel.

We are all in the same boat rasher, its a journey into the unknown, we are all novices here having not done a marathon before. Go for it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Reading through the thread with a wee bit of envy of all you folk out running today. I've decided to rest up this week as my hip is still bothering me and I really don't want to aggravate it. I have a half marathon on Sunday so its rest and plenty of ice on the injury for me until then. Its so hard not to run, I miss it already and I've only missed one 4 miler! I chickened out of seeing a physio this week in favour of putting it off until after the half - in fear of being told not to run on Sunday :eek: Praying for a problem free run on Sunday and looking forward to getting back to week 6 of the plan with everyone else doing Novice 2 next week :)

I'm not the voice of experience on such things but it sounds like you're taking a chance there. This is 2 half marathons in 4 weeks isn't it? All while fighting an injury and an increasing marathon workload. Your body might be trying to tell you something with the injury.;)

• Advertisement

We are all in the same boat rasher, its a journey into the unknown, we are all novices here having not done a marathon before. Go for it man.

Okay I've done it :eek:
    If anything crazy happens to me I'm blaming you lot :D

Did any of ye go for any of the gimmicky things when entering?!

The iTab, videos etc.....

I know, I'm a schmuck - but I figure the amount of work I'm putting into this I wanna go for the premium package! :D

If anyone who has done it in the past could let me know what the video download thing is like it would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If anyone who has done it in the past could let me know what the video download thing is like it would be great!

I don't know about the video download, but last year you could watch video of yourself passing different points in the course. I say 'watch video of yourself', but basically they have timing mats at different points and cameras trained on the course. If you pass the 5 mile mat at 10.40am, they show you the video for that camera from 10.39.30 to 10.40.30. You might see yourself, you might not.
    You can have a look at the videos from last year online. Go to the results page, search for a name or a category, and then click on a person's name, it will open their videos.

Good stuff, feels good doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

corny wrote: »
    I'm not the voice of experience on such things but it sounds like you're taking a chance there. This is 2 half marathons in 4 weeks isn't it? All while fighting an injury and an increasing marathon workload. Your body might be trying to tell you something with the injury.;)

Oh Corny the voice of reason...what you say makes sense, what my head says makes sense, but (foolishly I know) I can't help giving Sunday a go - well only if I feel absolutely no niggles...if I'm lucky I'll get through ok, worst case I'll aggravate it to the point where I'm out of action for a while...if I was advising anyone else I would say not to take the chance, but I just can't help it! Very foolish I know but hey ho, this running business is just too addictive (even though I could be about to walk in to a big regret) :eek:

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't know about the video download, but last year you could watch video of yourself passing different points in the course. I say 'watch video of yourself', but basically they have timing mats at different points and cameras trained on the course. If you pass the 5 mile mat at 10.40am, they show you the video for that camera from 10.39.30 to 10.40.30. You might see yourself, you might not.
    You can have a look at the videos from last year online. Go to the results page, search for a name or a category, and then click on a person's name, it will open their videos.

Thanks a million RayCun. I'm actually happy enough with that....My friends/family will have a great laugh!:o

Oh Corny the voice of reason...what you say makes sense, what my head says makes sense, but (foolishly I know) I can't help giving Sunday a go - well only if I feel absolutely no niggles...if I'm lucky I'll get through ok, worst case I'll aggravate it to the point where I'm out of action for a while...if I was advising anyone else I would say not to take the chance, but I just can't help it! Very foolish I know but hey ho, this running business is just too addictive (even though I could be about to walk in to a big regret) :eek:

Forgive me for sticking my oar in as well but im wondering why you need to do 2 halfs so early on. but if you're still motivated well then

It feels good that ive finally committed myself. i wont believe it though until im actually over the finish line.

Short story, did Dublin Half last year with hip injury, fecked it up at 9 miles. Walked last 4. No more running till January this year cause of it, missed Dublin Marathon cause i didn't listen to my body when it was giving out to me. May not happen to you, but i'd advise you to give it a miss like everybody else. Let it recover bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I know the feeling when you're committed to something thats it.;)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Short story, did Dublin Half last year with hip injury, fecked it up at 9 miles. Walked last 4. No more running till January this year cause of it, missed Dublin Marathon cause i didn't listen to my body when it was giving out to me. May not happen to you, but i'd advise you to give it a miss like everybody else. Let it recover bit more.

Another short story. Ran Dublin 10 miles last year, underestimated how much it took out of me. Ran Dublin half semi injured, followed the 1.40 pacers for 8 miles but finished in 1.56 and definitely injured. Niggles followed me into the spring where i also missed Rotterdam.

• Advertisement

Niggles followed me into the spring where i also missed Rotterdam.

Thats a real kick in the teeth missing Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... :mad: got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it. Missing 2 weeks of training at this stage is a disaster, my target of a 3.30 marathon may not be in reach when i get back to it... :(

I feel your pain (not literally, my pain is in my knee!) It's a bummer isn't it, I've had nearly three weeks out now, not good. Rest up, do the stretches, fingers crossed for you that you shake it off quickly, Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Wise words on skipping races (or training runs) when you are injured. We've got to remember that the main goal here is to make it to marathon start line in good shape and not a 5km, 10km PB etc. Shorter PB's are nice to have but we can do these any time after, marathons maybe not.

Unfortunately I've learned the hard way on this point. But hey I also think this thread is hex on me so I barely post here anymore :rolleyes:...maybe taking a bit too far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you didn't do it we would have had to ban you from this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

It feels good that ive finally committed myself. i wont believe it though until im actually over the finish line.

Good for you for making the commitment! I registered in April & the butterflies I felt while I was going through the website were unreal. I still get them when I think to myself that every step I run is one step closer to the start line!

I'm so excited / terrified already, gonna be exhausted by October!
    Well today's 6 miles won't run themselves! Ciao! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I haven't registered yet for a simple reason...anytime I register early for a marathon I end up getting injured and miss it :mad:. I registered for Berlin last October and have to miss it due to ~5 weeks missed training! So this time I'm leaving it until as late as possible for Dublin (sept 30th to be precise!) and will only sign up if I'm not injured. More expensive risk but actually works out cheaper for me :rolleyes:. My head is committed, my body not yet :)

shazkea wrote: »
    I haven't registered yet for a simple reason...anytime I register early for a marathon I end up getting injured and miss it :mad:. I registered for Berlin last October and have to miss it due to ~5 weeks missed training! So this time I'm leaving it until as late as possible for Dublin (sept 30th to be precise!) and will only sign up if I'm not injured. More expensive risk but actually works out cheaper for me :rolleyes:. My head is committed, my body not yet :)

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I got injured last year training for the marathon as well. Sure anything can happen and its just a risk I'll have to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I got injured last year training for the marathon as well. Sure anything can happen and its just a risk I'll have to take.

Same here... petrified of getting injured and scared that early registration is tempting fate.
    But then a line has to be drawn in the sand at some stage too.
    Reckon if this weekends LSR goes without incident, I'll be signed up next week.

:-|

Don't know if this has already been posted, but type Dick & Rick Hoyt into Youtube and have a look at it(computer illiterate cannot create link to it, sorry). Some will have seen it already, but its inspirational stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gonna take the plunge at the weekend too, after I see the physio tomorrow night!:eek:

Advertisement