Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

If anyone is interested in meeting in the park on Sat for LSR, let us know here. Different pace groups as you can see, I'll be in the slower 10:30 ish chatty group!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Hi folks - hope I'm not to late to the party! ... Hoping to due the DCM this year. Will be my first marathon. Only started running Jan'11 when our 1st born arrived. Was forced to stop running at end of last year over bad knee injury for doing too much too soon! Got back into the running this year after number two arrived in Jan this year. Trying to fit running in while not abadoning the missus can be tricky but trying my best! Bio is below!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    - Yes

Frank Duffy 10 mile 2011 - 77 mins 13 secs
    Irish 5 mile 2012 - 35 mins 03 secs
    Fingal 10k 2012 - 43 mins 20 secs

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! - No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Between 25 - 35 miles per week depending on time available. Generally 3 runas a week, a fourth if I can fit it in. No cross training at the moment, have had two bikes stolen in the last year and not willing to lose another. Also can't smiw!. Any ideas on cross training would be more than welcome!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - Eventually would like to do a sub 3.30 but would be delighted with sud 4 hr in 2012. Realistically probably 4.15

How many days a week can you train? - 3 days a week some weeks 4
    Why are you running this marathon? - Marathon used to pass by my area when I was a kid and we use to had out wet sponges. Wanted to do it since then!

Have tried reading back a bit on the thread - some great work done already by a lot of you! Running has been going ok for me. Have done 3 14+ miles LSRs but haven't had a chance in th elast few weeks to do one. Have one pencilled in this weekend. Are any of you using the gels? My mate swears by them but not so sure. Generally hate any of that stuff but found from 12 miles on on my LSRs that it was a real struggle to keep my pace up. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

@ mick welcome, great time at the fingal 10k, you will do 3.30 in the marathon with the right training. Gels are a great help, you will need to experiment with them to find one that suits you. Go to mcmillan running calculator, input your most recent race times and it will give you a good indicator of what paces you should run your lsr at. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

wowzer wrote: »
    Bad news, out from running for at least 2 weeks with plantar fasciitis in my left foot... :mad: got plenty of stretches to do and have 4 more physio sessions booked in to try to get rid of it. Missing 2 weeks of training at this stage is a disaster, my target of a 3.30 marathon may not be in reach when i get back to it... :(
    Hard luck Wowzer. But I think I'm right in saying you were a few weeks in front of most people so don't give up on the 3.30 yet:)
    Did any of ye go for any of the gimmicky things when entering?!

The iTab, videos etc.....

I know, I'm a schmuck - but I figure the amount of work I'm putting into this I wanna go for the premium package! :D

If anyone who has done it in the past could let me know what the video download thing is like it would be great!
    I hate photos of myself so I didn't. Somehow I don't think its going to be too pretty:eek:

Thanks career move, ah I won't give up on it just yet... Hopefully I can get myself sorted and back on track.. not sure how I'm going to cope mentally with 2 weeks off running, I'm more worried about that than not making my target time in the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Tough couple of weeks for me. Looking at the Hal higdon book I have several of the signs of overtraining/under recovery:

1. Elevated hr. Resting and when running
    2. Sore legs
    3. Dreading the run. Not so much this one but a couple of k in and I feel awe full
    4. Heavy legs. My effort seems to be higher this week for the same speed.
    5. Sleep problems. Ha! I have a 12 week old son.
    6. Upper respitory problems. I have a cold for the last fortnight!

Going to cut out the gym work. Take an easy week. Reset next week and re evaluate. Getting kind of p-eed off as I feel that I was fitter 5 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Thanks career move, ah I won't give up on it just yet... Hopefully I can get myself sorted and back on track.. not sure how I'm going to cope mentally with 2 weeks off running, I'm more worried about that than not making my target time in the marathon.

Hard luck with the injury. Try and stay positive. You had a great base built up before the injury so the two weeks off cant undo all that hard work. Your body might appreciate the break and come back refreshed and stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

rasher_m wrote: »
    Forgive me for sticking my oar in as well but im wondering why you need to do 2 halfs so early on. but if you're still motivated well then

Hi Rasher the 2 halfs were my training goals long before DCM was on the cards. I decided on DCM and worked out a training plan to still do the 2 halfs, even though they're early on in the DCM plan. Maybe time to re-evaluate though....

tang1 wrote: »
    Short story, did Dublin Half last year with hip injury, fecked it up at 9 miles. Walked last 4. No more running till January this year cause of it, missed Dublin Marathon cause i didn't listen to my body when it was giving out to me. May not happen to you, but i'd advise you to give it a miss like everybody else. Let it recover bit more.

Thanks tang1, reading this gave me a fright! I really don't want this to happen to me so my thinking now is to give the half a miss. My husband suggested doing it as a LSR but I'm far too competitive for that and know rightly I'll try to beat the time I got last month so best to leave it altogether ;) I'm booked in to physio on Monday (that's the earliest he could see me). This resting business is not easy, but my heart is absolutely set on DCM so recovery time it is.

Totally get this, its amazing how quickly running becomes part of what you do, its so weird to be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »
    Hi Rasher the 2 halfs were my training goals long before DCM was on the cards. I decided on DCM and worked out a training plan to still do the 2 halfs, even though they're early on in the DCM plan. Maybe time to re-evaluate though....

Yeah I big time agree with that. Although you might be a lot faster than me race wise, I was thinking on the same lines as you...was going to do the Clontarf half and up the LSR's a few weeks ago and then I thought what benefit would I really get from it. I would be just making it harder for myself by running long LSR's and racing hard races too early on and might burn out.

I'm not saying I have all the answers but with 14 weeks to go at this stage why not just hang back a bit and maybe do the tough long halfs closer to the event when you really need to have that kind of build up under your belt.

I can totally relate to that, when I have more than two days off I'm already thinking I need to get out.
    I suppose if you just tell yourself that you're foot won't get better if you go out and also think of how fresh and driven you will feel when you come back.

shazkea wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in meeting in the park on Sat for LSR, let us know here. Different pace groups as you can see, I'll be in the slower 10:30 ish chatty group!

Think I'm coming up to the stage where I'm gonna have to start meeting up with people for these LSR's, will make the burden easier.

rasher_m wrote: »
    I can totally relate to that, when I have more than two days off I'm already thinking I need to get out.
    I suppose if you just tell yourself that you're foot won't get better if you go out and also think of how fresh and driven you will feel when you come back.

My thoughts exactly, hopefully it works out that way.

Just finished my stretching routine, ouch it was tough going, took 30mins to get it done. It will all be worth it at the end of the day I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

OK here goes:D.....For the last two weeks or so I've been reading through (with slight envy) thinking would I/ could I and more to the point should I throw my name in the hat. I had absolutely no plans to do this marathon so don't know if I'm making a whimsical decision- although nearly every decision I've made has been last minute and most have stood me well!

What has me slightly indecisive at the minute is the fact that I can't plan training sessions- I'm grabbing chances to go out running last minute (until the kids go back to school anyway)
    Plus I more than likely could end up injured.
    I also don't know if I'm mad to try take this on now with the way I've been running lately and I'm not 100% sure if I really, really know what I'm taking on!

[*]Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I ran Kilbride 10k last Jan in 52.51- it wasn't chip timed my best chip timed was Boyne 10k in May at 54.58ish.
    5k PB was last August in Skryne at 26.29
    Half marathon pb was 2.02 in Bohermeen this year- I finished it with plenty left in my legs and was a bit disappointed that I didn't push myself a bit earlier to break the 2 hour mark.
    I was progressing brilliant Jan/Feb March this year and had high hopes for a summer of PB's but things haven't being going my way but sure I'll get over it and hopefully reach that level and beyond again!

[*]Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No- but I do have a running companion who stops for pee breaks regularly:D

[*]How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I was running 4 days and was a couple of weeks running 5 days (but same mileage- then I went for a sports massage and found out that I was ignoring the fact that my sacroiliac joint was slightly out of place. So ended up going for physio and not running for a few weeks- hips fine now but I should make an appointment to go back. I think trying to increase my speed rather than distance that caused the SI to start playing up again- so I might not make it to the marathon if I'm wrong and it is the increase in miles thats doing me!

[*]What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I want to run a marathon but I may never run another one! Dream finishing time for a first would be under 4.15 however I would be overjoyed to run between 4.25-4.35 I reckon I will be after that!

[*]How many days a week can you train?
    Between now and September some weeks I will be able to get out 5 days other weeks I'll be lucky to get 3 in and some of those could be only half an hour when I get in from work and my OH walks out to work!
    From September and the kids are back at school I should get out for a min of 4.

[*]Why are you running this marathon?
    To say I ran a marathon:o It's the next step for me really, I was going to aim for a Spring one but I don't know what I'm waiting for. Plus for the last few years come Sept /Oct I've been looking at all these people out running knowing they are training for the marathon and it always has turned me slightly green!
    So should I? I value any advise/ thoughts on whether I should seriously consider doing DCM:)

madon wrote: »
    OK here goes:D.....For the last two weeks or so I've been reading through (with slight envy) thinking would I/ could I and more to the point should I throw my name in the hat. I had absolutely no plans to do this marathon so don't know if I'm making a whimsical decision- although nearly every decision I've made has been last minute and most have stood me well!

What has me slightly indecisive at the minute is the fact that I can't plan training sessions- I'm grabbing chances to go out running last minute (until the kids go back to school anyway)
    Plus I more than likely could end up injured.
    I also don't know if I'm mad to try take this on now with the way I've been running lately and I'm not 100% sure if I really, really know what I'm taking on!

[*]Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I ran Kilbride 10k last Jan in 52.51- it wasn't chip timed my best chip timed was Boyne 10k in May at 54.58ish.
    5k PB was last August in Skryne at 26.29
    Half marathon pb was 2.02 in Bohermeen this year- I finished it with plenty left in my legs and was a bit disappointed that I didn't push myself a bit earlier to break the 2 hour mark.
    I was progressing brilliant Jan/Feb March this year and had high hopes for a summer of PB's but things haven't being going my way but sure I'll get over it and hopefully reach that level and beyond again!

[*]Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

No- but I do have a running companion who stops for pee breaks regularly:D

[*]How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

I was running 4 days and was a couple of weeks running 5 days (but same mileage- then I went for a sports massage and found out that I was ignoring the fact that my sacroiliac joint was slightly out of place. So ended up going for physio and not running for a few weeks- hips fine now but I should make an appointment to go back. I think trying to increase my speed rather than distance that caused the SI to start playing up again- so I might not make it to the marathon if I'm wrong and it is the increase in miles thats doing me!

[*]What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I want to run a marathon but I may never run another one! Dream finishing time for a first would be under 4.15 however I would be overjoyed to run between 4.25-4.35 I reckon I will be after that!

[*]How many days a week can you train?

Between now and September some weeks I will be able to get out 5 days other weeks I'll be lucky to get 3 in and some of those could be only half an hour when I get in from work and my OH walks out to work!
    From September and the kids are back at school I should get out for a min of 4.

[*]Why are you running this marathon?

To say I ran a marathon:o It's the next step for me really, I was going to aim for a Spring one but I don't know what I'm waiting for. Plus for the last few years come Sept /Oct I've been looking at all these people out running knowing they are training for the marathon and it always has turned me slightly green!
    So should I? I value any advise/ thoughts on whether I should seriously consider doing DCM:)

Hi there, well I'm not in a position to say since I'm a novice myself but my younger sister who has two toddlers and works f/t ran the marathon last year. She said sometimes she only got out twice a week because of commitments but she also said that no matter what she always made sure she done her LSR. I also remember that she got a few 18 milers in and a 20 miler towards the end. She got in at 4.35 mins, just wanted to run one marathon. She never ran 7 months previous to the marathon. It is possible.
    In saying that shes a very healthy strong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Question for you experts:

My plan requires 6 miles this evening which is going to be the training session at my club (3-4 miles) plus 2-3 miles straight afterwards.

My quandry is that I know I will have to stop straight after training for around 10 minutes as I need to talk to the members about something before they leave.

Can I then pick up the rest of my run after this 10 min stop? Does that count? I HATE stopping during a run and never do it, but I won't be about to get out of it this time.

But does stopping really matter? Is it all in my (crazy) head or does it actually mean Thursday's 6 miles wasn't done properly?

Thanks!
    Mulberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Mulberry wrote: »
    Question for you experts:

My plan requires 6 miles this evening which is going to be the training session at my club (3-4 miles) plus 2-3 miles straight afterwards.

My quandry is that I know I will have to stop straight after training for around 10 minutes as I need to talk to the members about something before they leave.

Can I then pick up the rest of my run after this 10 min stop? Does that count? I HATE stopping during a run and never do it, but I won't be about to get out of it this time.

But does stopping really matter? Is it all in my (crazy) head or does it actually mean Thursday's 6 miles wasn't done properly?

Thanks!
    Mulberry.

Personally, i would think that is grand as its better than not getting a run in at all. sometimes you have to bend the schedule a bit to fit in with your routine!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

guys! I have a hospital appointment tomorrow for a routine thing but it involves a general anasthetic. I feel like its knocked the wind out of my sails a bit psychologically as my plan is all over the place this week and i've only got 1 3 miler in and a pilates class. any advice to buck myself up a bit? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

guys! I have a hospital appointment tomorrow for a routine thing but it involves a general anasthetic. I feel like its knocked the wind out of my sails a bit psychologically as my plan is all over the place this week and i've only got 1 3 miler in and a pilates class. any advice to buck myself up a bit? :)

Don't fret, get well and back into training when you can, it will all come together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Signed up today for DCM :eek:

Bib #7396

No going back now!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Is anyone else really struggling in this close, clammy weather? Did 4 miles on Tuesday and 6 miles pace last night and they were some of the toughest runs I have done to date. It’s so overcast, wet and hot where I am. I am finding the my sweat just doesn’t dry while I run, so I am drenched by the end of the run and I literally feel like I can’t breath while running. I have a 12 mile lsr on Saturday and am dreading it if the weather doesn’t cool down to be honest.

tang1 wrote: »
    Don't know if this has already been posted, but type Dick & Rick Hoyt into Youtube and have a look at it(computer illiterate cannot create link to it, sorry). Some will have seen it already, but its inspirational stuff.

ncmc wrote: »
    Is anyone else really struggling in this close, clammy weather? Did 4 miles on Tuesday and 6 miles pace last night and they were some of the toughest runs I have done to date. It’s so overcast, wet and hot where I am. I am finding the my sweat just doesn’t dry while I run, so I am drenched by the end of the run and I literally feel like I can’t breath while running. I have a 12 mile lsr on Saturday and am dreading it if the weather doesn’t cool down to be honest.

It's great training and you'll feel the benefits when it cools down again, I'm off to the South of France for a few weeks from next week and am really looking forward to training over there because of the gains I'll make by the time I return, 34C today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Im in the exact same position, finding it a struggle this week, even though the milage and pace is just like any other week! I'm hoping it's the weather and that it's not because i'm burnt out! Everything seems like a lot more effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

I have a question re: Glycogen.

Basically my understanding is that you need to build up your glycogen levels by eating lots of carbs. Now i have been eating lots of pasta but the pasta i am eating is wheat free which i think has a very low glycogen level if any. should i be eating the normal pasta or not??

Cheers,
    Moggie

moggie4000 wrote: »
    I have a question re: Glycogen.

Basically my understanding is that you need to build up your glycogen levels by eating lots of carbs. Now i have been eating lots of pasta but the pasta i am eating is wheat free which i think has a very low glycogen level if any. should i be eating the normal pasta or not??

Cheers,
    Moggie

You need more carbs in marathon training to meet your energy requirements, you also need more protein to rebuild the muscles and help with the adaptations your body needs to go through. You'll get just as much glycogen from potatoes and rice as you will from pasta.

Now with regard to glycogen levels, your body can store a limited amount of glycogen, your LSR's will deplete your reserves and the hope is that your body will adapt and store a bit more by the time you get to the end of training but the key point here is that you don't run the marathon on glycogen alone but a mixture of that and fat, your LSR's teach your body to burn fat for energy so that you can use a ratio of say for example 9:1 glycogen to fat allowing you to keep running all the way to the finish. Those who don't put in enough long miles hit 'The Wall' where your body has run out of glycogen and like a car without petrol, is going nowhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

npresto wrote: »
    Signed up today for DCM :eek:

Bib #7396

No going back now!! :D:D

Well done, took the plunge just now also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Definitely, I did my 20k LSR last night and found the last 5k a real struggle. It wasn't so much the heat but the humidity that got to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You don't need to stuff yourself with carbs, just make sure you're getting enough of them. Your gluten-free pasta is probably made from some other type of carbohydrate anyway - rice, potato, or corn.

Advertisement