Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i got my 12 mile (what ever the heck that is in km) out of the way last night, but didnt really notice it any heavier than normal.

Saying that though, my shorter mid week runs have been hell in the humidity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's great training and you'll feel the benefits when it cools down again, I'm off to the South of France for a few weeks from next week and am really looking forward to training over there because of the gains I'll make by the time I return, 34C today :)

Its well for some going off doing warm weather training!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Have tried reading back a bit on the thread - some great work done already by a lot of you! Running has been going ok for me. Have done 3 14+ miles LSRs but haven't had a chance in th elast few weeks to do one. Have one pencilled in this weekend. Are any of you using the gels? My mate swears by them but not so sure. Generally hate any of that stuff but found from 12 miles on on my LSRs that it was a real struggle to keep my pace up. Any recommendations?

To state the obvious Mick, if you are struggling to hold pace after 12 miles then most likely you ran the first 12 miles too fast. Gels should not be an issue either way until you are up doing 20 milers.

For LSR's you should never be struggling to hold a pace becase the pace should not be very fast to begin with (S means slow).

Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Will miss my 10 mile LSR this weekend. Out since last wednesday :(:(

Luckily i got my 9 miler in 2 weeks ago. Can only rest until Monday - hope my right foot/ankle is healed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Hi all,

I did the Dublin Marathon in 2009 in 3h57, it was my first ever and I followed a slightly different programm during 4 month. Before that, I was a heavy smoker not really doing any sport excpect a small football game with friends from time to time. Anyway since that marathon I did very little, a bit of cycling here and there (became a father so have much less time). I started running again last March to get ready for a 10k which I completed in May in 46min. I kept going as I planned to do the marathon this year. Unfortunately I got an Achilles tendonitis which prevented me from running for a month, just started again this week.
    Now I discovered this website through this thread I would like to follow one of the programs, I don't know which one should I follow I was thinking of novice 2.
    3 years ago I followed this one:
    http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_sch_2.html

Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Just in from my first visit to the physio - preventative rather than curative (if that's, even, loike, a real word? :o) Have to delay my 12m LSR from Sat to Sun, skip my 3m next Tues, & do some prescribed stretches. Hopefully this will fix up my creaky hip!
    She said I'd be in pain after my visit (there was lots of deep poking & elbow massaging into my hip joint) but I'm not even a little bit sore. Yet. Will it come tomorrow morning? :eek:

(thanks Mr Slow for the recommendation!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just in from my first visit to the physio - preventative rather than curative (if that's, even, loike, a real word? :o) Have to delay my 12m LSR from Sat to Sun, skip my 3m next Tues, & do some prescribed stretches. Hopefully this will fix up my creaky hip!
    She said I'd be in pain after my visit (there was lots of deep poking & elbow massaging into my hip joint) but I'm not even a little bit sore. Yet. Will it come tomorrow morning? :eek:

Drink plenty of water, you may be stiff and sore in the morning but as you move around it will loosen up. Glad you got on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

Didn't do my recovery run as I thought I needed to give my foot a few days rest to see if I can over this issue. So doing my exercises as subscribed by physio. Hoping to do LSR on Sunday though rather than push. Gives me 4 days rest but whiling to push it out another few days if I am feeling foot is close to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ha im just in as well and i'm the total opposite! in absolute agony!!

Good news is nothing major wrong, but said I was lucky I went now instead of a months time when I put the milage up and my legs wouldnt of coped.

severe stretching to do in next week or so but it should get me all clear, good news is I dont have to miss any runs!

almost afraid to go back! The Pain!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Out for a 15k general aerobic session tonight. It felt damn hot out there and I was happy just to get the distance. Time per km started to drift the further I went, but I suppose that is to be expected after returning from injury. I've lost a lot of fitness methinks.

Anyway, garmin was strapped on for this one :-

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/203366215

I have to decide whether to hop in to week 5 of the 18 week P&D program, or just get some more mileage into me and start the 12 week program in a couple of weeks. If there is any advice either way, shout it out !

I'll be using the garmin for all my runs from now on though, so I hope to see an improvement fairly quickly (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bulletproof1

Real informative thread. Have been keeping abreast of all the goings on in the past few weeks. Just an enquiry as some of you have spoken of visiting a physio for some help. I dont have any injuries and am quite new to running but as the miles go up i feel my technique is probably wrong and muscles are very sore so was thinking of trying a physio myself. Do i just land into the physio and get them to check me out even though i have no injuries?

jprender wrote: »
    I have to decide whether to hop in to week 5 of the 18 week P&D program, or just get some more mileage into me and start the 12 week program in a couple of weeks. If there is any advice either way, shout it out !.

Build up the mileage and follow the 12 week schedule, that will ease you into it (relatively speaking, P&D can be tough) rather than jumping into a schedule that's at too intense a level.

Real informative thread. Have been keeping abreast of all the goings on in the past few weeks. Just an enquiry as some of you have spoken of visiting a physio for some help. I dont have any injuries and am quite new to running but as the miles go up i feel my technique is probably wrong and muscles are very sore so was thinking of trying a physio myself. Do i just land into the physio and get them to check me out even though i have no injuries?

Have you had your gait analysed?

It's natural that your muscles would be sore if you're going from 0 - marathon in a few months but if you're wearing the wrong runners for your gait the problem would be multiplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Hi all, can I join? Finally make the decision to definitely go for this at the weekend. This is my 2nd Marathon. Did Limerick in May.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Limerick Half - 2010 - 2hrs 3mins
    Ballycotton (10 miles) - March 2012 - 82 mins
    Limerick Marathon May 2012 - 3:57
    Cork Half - June 2012 - 1:58
    Also ran afew local 5 milers in last few weeks, averaging between 39-42 mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    • How much training do you currently do?
    Did the HH Novice 1 for Limerick, doing it again for this one. Didn't do any cross training last time so going to try it this time.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Aim 1 - Finish it
    Aim 2 - Get under 4 hours
    Aim 3 - sub 3:50
    • How many days a week can you train?
    Can train 4-5 days at the moment but going to be more caught for time in Sept & October. Might have to cut one weekday run.
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    Always wanted to run one marathon, now I want to run one more!!! I love a challenge and running gives me a break from hubbie and 2 kiddies ;)

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Hi all, can I join? Finally make the decision to definitely go for this at the weekend. This is my 2nd Marathon. Did Limerick in May.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Limerick Half - 2010 - 2hrs 3mins
    Ballycotton (10 miles) - March 2012 - 82 mins
    Limerick Marathon May 2012 - 3:57
    Cork Half - June 2012 - 1:58
    Also ran afew local 5 milers in last few weeks, averaging between 39-42 mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    • How much training do you currently do?
    Did the HH Novice 1 for Limerick, doing it again for this one. Didn't do any cross training last time so going to try it this time.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Aim 1 - Finish it
    Aim 2 - Get under 4 hours
    Aim 3 - sub 3:50
    • How many days a week can you train?
    Can train 4-5 days at the moment but going to be more caught for time in Sept & October. Might have to cut one weekday run.
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    Always wanted to run one marathon, now I want to run one more!!! I love a challenge and running gives me a break from hubbie and 2 kiddies ;)

You were with us in the 4 hour pace group in Limerick, you were in better condition than I was and I was pacing:) you finished very strong, I'd expect you to be around the 3:45 mark this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Wahoo - got the go head from Optician to start back running after laser eye surgery last week so did an easy 5k tonight, great to be back out (even if the heat is a killer)!

On week 5 of the HHN2 programme so supposed to be 3m/6m/3m & 12m LSR this week - Feeling grand so was thinking stick to weekly mileage by doing them Thurs-Sun this week... or am I risking injury by doing the 4 runs back to back?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Were you with us in the 4 hour pace group in Limerick?

You caught us at 20 miles (part of our plan to include toilet stops!!!) and stayed with you for 4. Then you encouraged me to go for it, so went for it at Gaelic Rounds. Got in just ahead of ye. Thanks for chat and support for those 4 miles!!!

You caught us at 20 miles (part of our plan to include toilet stops!!!) and stayed with you for 4. Then you encouraged me to go for it, so went for it at Gaelic Rounds. Got in just ahead of ye. Thanks for chat and support for those 4 miles!!!

See above the penny dropped, how was your hubbies hangover?

Dont think 3:45 is within my reach. Running partner not definite about this one yet (huge loss to me if she doesn't sign up) and have slight niggle in left arch since Limerick.

Hangover not good, didn't quite make it to see me cross the line so hence I have to do Dublin.

• Advertisement

Dont think 3:45 is within my reach. Running partner not definite about this one yet (huge loss to me if she doesn't sign up) and have slight niggle in left arch since Limerick.

Get the niggle seen to, don't worry about your friend not making it, there's lots of nice friendly people here and as a bonus nearly all of the Dublin pacers are from Boards.ie

Hangover not good, didn't quite make it to see me cross the line so hence I have to do Dublin.

Also tell him he'll be minding the kids for longer than he thinks, there's a traditional p1ss up in McGrattans after the race.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I went to the physio on Tuesday (first time). Some niggles in my knees with pain in the right one. She didn't say anything being in pain the next day or not running. I was much worse afterwards and for the next 2 days. What's that about?!?

I took Weds as a rest day and had a very slow run on Thurs. Up and out early this morning and feel I'm getting back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

[QUOTE: What has me slightly indecisive at the minute is the fact that I can't plan training sessions- I'm grabbing chances to go out running last minute (until the kids go back to school anyway)

[*]Why are you running this marathon?

To say I ran a marathon:o It's the next step for me really, I was going to aim for a Spring one but I don't know what I'm waiting for. Plus for the last few years come Sept /Oct I've been looking at all these people out running knowing they are training for the marathon and it always has turned me slightly green! So should I? I value any advise/ thoughts on whether I should seriously consider doing DCM:)[/QUOTE]

I asked a similar question at the start and I got some encouraging responses from here. I have a 4.5 and a 2 year old. Also, I work full-time compressed into 4 days and sometimes my husband goes to the States for work. We live in London so no extended family to call on.

People on here said that once you've made the decision to do the marathon, you find the time. It's true. I like to go out very early in the morning but occasionally it has to be in the evening. My oldest thought it was funny that I was out running at 6am today when she was still sleeping. I have to say for me the support of my husband is key especially at the weekend. He goes to the girls' dance classes, one of them the parent has to join in. Sometimes I have to change the days around (life gets in the way) but the plan still seems to work.

One thing that has really helped me, is to tell everyone (at least anyone that cares to listen) that I'm doing this marathon. People have been really positive and encouraging. Also, now I've told people, I feel I have to do it.

As you say, take your chances when you can. You will find time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

Will a list of pacers be published here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This is a provisional list, there may be changes before the day. I've included boards aliases only...

3:00
    Abhainn
    Pronator

3:15
    liamo123
    Surewhynot!
    VillageRunner

3:30
    TFBubendorfer
    JackyBack

3:45
    Menoscemo
    CorkRunning
    Wounded Knee

4:00
    Oisin11178
    RunningCoach
    MrSlow
    Caprica

4:15
    Marthastew
    Ultraman1
    Kandikane
    MacAttackJ

4:30
    digger2d2
    Claralara
    Izoard
    Moneystealer1

5:00
    Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Wallyruns

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

During my 6 mile run yesterday evening it got me thinking about what i'm going to do after i complete my first marathon. I was thinking maybe the 4 peaks challenge or the london marathon??

Has anyone thought past the 29th October what you will do next??

Moggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

moggie4000 wrote: »
    During my 6 mile run yesterday evening it got me thinking about what i'm going to do after i complete my first marathon. I was thinking maybe the 4 peaks challenge or the london marathon??

Moggie
    considering learning how to swim properly and do a tri, would also love to do a marathon in Rome, Barcelona, maybe Prague. Who knows, maybe one or two others. Ive been to rome about 8-10 years ago and id love to go again, and a marathon would be great to see some sights. And i love the other 2 cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

moggie4000 wrote: »

Moggie

Get drunk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I've been thinking about what comes next too. My plan so far is to do 1 marathon a year. I plan on using the months after Dublin to do some level of speed work on shorter distances.

Advertisement