Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

moggie4000 wrote: »
    During my 6 mile run yesterday evening it got me thinking about what i'm going to do after i complete my first marathon. I was thinking maybe the 4 peaks challenge or the london marathon??

Has anyone thought past the 29th October what you will do next??

Moggie

I think if Dublin doesn't kill me, I will try Cork in June 2013, like yourself, I would like to do one of the big European ones, maybe London or Rome (although I think it is savage hilly). I have a little glimmer of a dream of doing Boston, but I know that is a mega challenge to get a low enough time.

I imagine I will feel a little bereft when it's over and the buzz dies down, I am so obsessed with the whole thing, I think about it constantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

RayCun wrote: »
    4:30 digger2d2, Claralara, Izoard, Moneystealer1

5:00 Clareman07, Belcarra, Wallyruns

These guys will be my new best friends come the end of October! :pac:
    Has anyone thought past the 29th October what you will do next??Moggie

I was thinking about this during the week, talk about counting my chickens! :eek:
    I've done the Paris half marathon 3 times, and was going to do it again in 2013. But now I'm thinking what about the full marathon? Half is the first weekend in March, full is the start of April. Registration for both opens on Sept 15th, and the prices go up as the numbers fill up (they don't have set dates where the price changes). Funds won't permit two trips anyway. I guess I'll see how I feel in November & pay the higher fees for whichever I go for.

If I decide to go for the full in April, there are exactly the right number of weeks after DCM to do Hal's "week zero", his 4 week recovery plan, and then start again gently at week 1 of 18 on HHN2 again (maybe start a few weeks into the plan & double the early weeks, or do the early easy weeks & try to improve my speed on the short runs).

I'm really enjoying this training, and having this mental goal to reach for. Maybe I like it so much because this is the longest I've ever managed to keep anything secret (only my boyfriend, doc & physio know. Oh and you guys, ssshhh!! :o) Only 13 weeks away on Monday!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Has anyone thought past the 29th October what you will do next??

Don't stop running in November, but take things very easy for a while. Hal Higdon has a post-marathon training guide for the first month.

Then join a running club, try some different kinds of races and training, and figure out what you like best.

Since the talk had all been about physios for the last week ago, I have been wondering if I should go to one myself. I have been really lucky so far and am pretty much injury free bar the odd ache and pain after a long run, however I have been having an ongoing problem with my sciatica nerve. I have been having problems for about a year, and although it isn’t caused by running, I do think it’s exacerbated by running. The funny thing is it doesn’t hurt while I’m running, but it does ache a bit afterwards. It isn’t a massive problem, it’s more a niggle than anything else, but I’m just wondering if a physio could help? The reason I haven’t bothered before now is because it is a nerve issue rather than a muscle problem so wasn’t sure if a physio would help.

Also, are you all going to a standard physio or a sports therapist? Is there any difference between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

If I decide to go for the full in April, there are exactly the right number of weeks after DCM to do Hal's "week zero", his 4 week recovery plan, and then start again gently at week 1 of 18 on HHN2 again (maybe start a few weeks into the plan & double the early weeks, or do the early easy weeks & try to improve my speed on the short runs).

Haha, this was my EXACT plan! (Considering all goes well!)

Obviously would love to do the London but sure it's nigh on impossible to get into it and anyway as far as i'm aware the ballot has closed for 2013 already. So Paris makes the most sense to me as I would love to get out of Ireland to do one - I imagine the whole experience would take on a whole new character. However, if the funds are low I'd prob go for the Connemarathon. Did the half this year (I nearly fn died as the heat was something else!) and it was beautiful.

Bu anyway, first things first - bring on the DCM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Plan after Dublin is to do some shorter races and speed up my pace abit.

Can't get into the training log. When I clicked on it last night it said error and to reload my browser. Anyone know whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Also have you booked accomodation for Dublin? Any recommendations on where to stay please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Plan after Dublin is to do some shorter races and speed up my pace abit.

Can't get into the training log. When I clicked on it last night it said error and to reload my browser. Anyone know whats that about?

I can get in fine....must be your browser

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just looked at the log, got onto it with no problems

Also have you booked accomodation for Dublin? Any recommendations on where to stay please?

I have booked the Ballsbridge Hotel

http://www.ballsbridgehotel.com/

I paid €99 for one night B&B plus free parking. Think it is about a mile from the start line. I enquired about late check out so I could have a shower before heading home, but it is €40 extra, so will decide closer to the time if it is worth that, might just stink up the car instead! They start serving breakfast at 7, which was important to me as I like to eat 2 hours before I run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

After the 29th is a good drinking session and bad food. I think we will all earn a day/night of evil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Posted this earlier in the thread may suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Haha, this was my EXACT plan! (Considering all goes well!)

Obviously would love to do the London but sure it's nigh on impossible to get into it and anyway as far as i'm aware the ballot has closed for 2013 already. So Paris makes the most sense to me as I would love to get out of Ireland to do one - I imagine the whole experience would take on a whole new character. However, if the funds are low I'd prob go for the Connemarathon. Did the half this year (I nearly fn died as the heat was something else!) and it was beautiful.

Bu anyway, first things first - bring on the DCM!

So glad others are thinking beyond DCM - makes me feel slightly less of a lunatic ;) As I sit here injured and desperately missing my weekly runs this week, I'm already planning what's next. Paris would be amazing but I have a family wedding then so am thinking Prague in May 2013. Running our way around the world - what a buzz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I had signed up for Connemara full next April after doing the half this year. I found out lately that one of best mates is getting married the day before so I asked her if she would consider moving her wedding for me. She not so politely told me where to go :rolleyes:.
    Damm it anyway...I guess I'll have to defer as logistically its too much hassle (and also the alcohol aspect!). Friends eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

I've signed up for half marathon on 19 November in Beaujolais. If my legs are not up to it, there's a 12 km fun run either. It's gas craic - did it last year with a group. Instead of a medal on completion, they hand you a bottle of red.

http://www.marathondubeaujolais.org/marathon-beaujolais-nouveau/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

La Di Da wrote: »
    I've signed up for half marathon on 19 November in Beaujolais. If my legs are not up to it, there's a 12 km fun run either. It's gas craic - did it last year with a group. Instead of a medal on completion, they hand you a bottle of red.

You should check out the Marathon du Medoc
    http://www.marathondumedoc.com/
    Medoc wine and food are served at 21 'refreshment' stations along the course :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

La Di Da wrote: »

Deadly:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    You should check out the Marathon du Medoc
    http://www.marathondumedoc.com/
    Medoc wine and food are served at 21 'refreshment' stations along the course :p
    Fancy dress + running + very warm weather:eek:

This must be why you have to have a medical certificate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

ncmc wrote: »
    Since the talk had all been about physios for the last week ago, I have been wondering if I should go to one myself. I have been really lucky so far and am pretty much injury free bar the odd ache and pain after a long run, however I have been having an ongoing problem with my sciatica nerve. I have been having problems for about a year, and although it isn’t caused by running, I do think it’s exacerbated by running. The funny thing is it doesn’t hurt while I’m running, but it does ache a bit afterwards. It isn’t a massive problem, it’s more a niggle than anything else, but I’m just wondering if a physio could help? The reason I haven’t bothered before now is because it is a nerve issue rather than a muscle problem so wasn’t sure if a physio would help.

Also, are you all going to a standard physio or a sports therapist? Is there any difference between the two?

I've had exactly the same problem for about 8 months now. Never stops me doing what i want to do but it annoys me nonetheless.

From experience i've found its not caused by running, actually not running makes it worse. Its more likely something to do with posture for me. When i'm at my computer i have an awful habit of slouching in the chair and putting pressure on the region around the coccyx. Trying to correct it and its slowly getting better the more i pay attention. Moving around a bit more helps too.

Tried loads of stretches and exercise and none of them work. Do yourself a favour and save yourself some money and try and isolate whats causing it before visiting a physio. Bloody hard thing to shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Just in from my LSR - got in 14 miles @ 9:10 mins/mile and felt could have kept going! Tried a gel thing halway out, didnt throw up so that's something. Pretty rank tho. Cheers for the reply the other day wowzer, hope the recovery is going well!

After DCM I'll belong to my better half for a while! Promised her that this will not become a regular thing for the time being! We've got a 6 month old and an 18 month old so I'll owe her big time for making it possible for me to get out running so much! Will definitely enter shorter races tho, try to get quicker if I can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Just in from my LSR - got in 14 miles @ 9:10 mins/mile and felt could have kept going! Tried a gel thing halway out, didnt throw up so that's something. Pretty rank tho. Cheers for the reply the other day wowzer, hope the recovery is going well!

After DCM I'll belong to my better half for a while! Promised her that this will not become a regular thing for the time being! We've got a 6 month old and an 18 month old so I'll owe her big time for making it possible for me to get out running so much! Will definitely enter shorter races tho, try to get quicker if I can

Well done, great to have the LSR over you this week already!

I have a 12 miler so trying to figure if il do it sat or sun.
    My stomach hasnt been the best the last two days.
    I ran Fingal on sun and then done my 3 runs mon, tues, wed and was very busy in work so think it might be stress related.
    Hopefully will feel better after a good sleep, have mon off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well done, great to have the LSR over you this week already!

I have a 12 miler so trying to figure if il do it sat or sun.
    My stomach hasnt been the best the last two days.
    I ran Fingal on sun and then done my 3 runs mon, tues, wed and was very busy in work so think it might be stress related.
    Hopefully will feel better after a good sleep, have mon off.

If you're not feeling 100% tomorrow and have the option of doing it Sunday, do it Sunday and give yourself the extra day to recover, orelse it will be a long hard 12m run...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    I had signed up for Connemara full next April after doing the half this year. I found out lately that one of best mates is getting married the day before so I asked her if she would consider moving her wedding for me. She not so politely told me where to go :rolleyes:.
    Damm it anyway...I guess I'll have to defer as logistically its too much hassle (and also the alcohol aspect!). Friends eh!!

She's no friend of yours! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

12m LSR completed last night as I'm heading to a hen now. Great getting it over on a Friday. Tough going in parts but managed to keep to my slow pace of 11:30 mpm. Two loops of 6m. Had a few bites of a banana half way through which worked okay. Good luck to everyone out there today/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

LSR done, 11 miles in 1hr 42 Was joined for 8 miles by one of the lads from running club which definately helped past the time!
    Now to undo all the good work by enjoying the rest of the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just finished my 10 mile LSR this morning, some horrible showers but great to have it done.
    This is the longest I have ever run but it was fairly comfortable although the last mile or so legs were getting quite tired.
    For people who have more miles done was there any distance/stage in training where it started to get proportionally more difficult to increase the mileage. What I mean is the 10 mile run today was probaly similar in terms of effort to the 7.5 mile run 2 weeks ago due to the training - can i expect this to continue (barring injury of course) or do people find stages where it was very difficult to add the extra miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

joe40 wrote: »
    Just finished my 10 mile LSR this morning, some horrible showers but great to have it done.
    This is the longest I have ever run but it was fairly comfortable although the last mile or so legs were getting quite tired.
    For people who have more miles done was there any distance/stage in training where it started to get proportionally more difficult to increase the mileage. What I mean is the 10 mile run today was probaly similar in terms of effort to the 7.5 mile run 2 weeks ago due to the training - can i expect this to continue (barring injury of course) or do people find stages where it was very difficult to add the extra miles.

Very good question actually - I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm up to 15 miles on my LSR and have found the increase fine so far, no real increase effort wise or any lack in energy. Say from here on in it may get a little harder.

I think you won't notice it as long as you gradually increase the mileage on the lsr's and do your step back week to allow recovery. Thats what I'm going to keep telling myself anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

10 mile lsr in the Phoenix Park this morning, loads of runners out and got the best part of the day by the looks of it. Run went fine, tried a gel High 5 and that was fine too. Only negative.about the park is it does not have public toilets. My longest run yet, in distance and time, very satisfying!

Advertisement