Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

moggie4000 wrote: »
    During my 6 mile run yesterday evening it got me thinking about what i'm going to do after i complete my first marathon. I was thinking maybe the 4 peaks challenge or the london marathon??

Has anyone thought past the 29th October what you will do next??

Moggie

Applied for the London marathon ballot when it was open, who knows??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sassyj wrote: »
    Only negative.about the park is it does not have public toilets. My longest run yet, in distance and time, very satisfying!

If you are ever stuck there are public toilets up in Farmleigh, I think there are some at the visitor centre near the Zoo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are ever stuck there are public toilets up in Farmleigh, I think there are some at the visitor centre near the Zoo too.

Great to know, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »

There are also lots of trees and bushes, just saying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There are also lots of trees and bushes, just saying! :)

This doesn't work quite as well for the ladies :p

• Advertisement

This doesn't work quite as well for the ladies :p

I recall a run report of yours involving a pikey poo, no? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

joe40 wrote: »
    Just finished my 10 mile LSR this morning, some horrible showers but great to have it done.
    This is the longest I have ever run but it was fairly comfortable although the last mile or so legs were getting quite tired.
    For people who have more miles done was there any distance/stage in training where it started to get proportionally more difficult to increase the mileage. What I mean is the 10 mile run today was probaly similar in terms of effort to the 7.5 mile run 2 weeks ago due to the training - can i expect this to continue (barring injury of course) or do people find stages where it was very difficult to add the extra miles.

There should be no sudden leap in miles and that's the beauty of following a plan...the distances will gradually increase and therefore you should be well able for the increases.

i know when i finished my first ever 16m run, legs were in bits and i felt that there was no way i'd ever be able to run any bit further, but as was pointed out to me, and was true the bit by bit gradual increase is the only way to go...
    this is why rest is just as important as the run and proper nutrition and hydration...keeps the body in peak training condition!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I'd been wondering about the increase in mileage too. I'm taking it week by week. As for after this marathon, I've said this is a once off. However, I will keep going to bootcamp and do some short runs.

This morning I missed my LSR. Last night wasn't boozy but it was late as was watching the Olympic opening ceremony. I'll head out in the morning as didn't feel up to it today. Even though it's been a busy day, I feel like I'm waiting to go running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

16 mile LSR today. Strange type of run tbh. Its the furthest i've been so this morning i was little bit apprehensive (didn't feel great). Anyway, breezed through the first 10 miles, got a little tired for the next 3 but struggled home from there.

I'm fine now though and looking at the positives i was comfortable for a large part of that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just back from LSR - was meant to do 12m (19.3k) but ended up doing 20.4k in just over 2 hours. Felt ok considering I was hungry and tired after a crap night of sleep last night. Hopefully back into the routine now - will do a bit on the bike tomorrow to mix it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I was really dreading LSR today. My whole body was feeling achey. I stretched loads this morn and contemplated putting it off til tomor. I hate waiting for a run as I begin to dread it even more so I bit the bullet and headed out for my 10 mile LSR. I felt very tight starting out, legs felt stiff and right knee was complaining of all the road running so i made an agreement with myself that I would turn back after a couple of miles if I didn't loosen up. I was aiming to run 11.15 but due to me focusing on my legs and not on the watch I ran average of 10.30.. Bit too fast.. Hope I don't regret it tomor.
    Hamstrings are in bits this eve:( I don't know if it's a good idea to cross train tomor or just take a rest day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

back after 19.8km lsr in the phoenix park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

This was my first 5k race and based on my 5 mile time in Donadea, mcmillan had me at 22.26. I was thinking sub 22 no bother to me. HaHaHa:rolleyes: My heart dropped as soon as I saw we were going on the grass :eek: I knew I was scr:eek:ewed. I had read we would be running on the ambulance track but in fact we were out on the outside of the track. This is where they had raced on Thursday so there were big hoof marks everywhere and big divets out of the grass....ankle twisting terrain :mad: (Cue John McEnroe YOU CAANNOT BE SERIOUS)
    I did a mile warm up on the track and it wasn't too bad but I had no energy and I was blowing like a train after it. My heart dropped again! I lined up and off we went. 100 metres later I was thinking to myself I'm not able for this. I'm not even going to get round. Theres no way I'll get up that hill :eek:.......twice:eek: I knew these were bad thoughts to be having this early on so I stopped thinking and focused on moving and breathing. My breathing was crap. I think I sounded like a chainsaw. Anyway after 5 long torturous km I crossed the finish line and collapsed on the grass. I was the fourth woman home in 23.29 and seventeenth over all. I thought I was a lot fitter but this race proves there is mighty work to be done:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Back in from my cross training for the week, done An Post Meath Heritage 100km cycle. Some nice climbs on it around Hill of Tara, Skyrne and Slane, over 3000 done it across the three distances. Great cycle and well organised, plenty of people out supporting around the finish in Trim.

This was my first 5k race and based on my 5 mile time in Donadea, mcmillan had me at 22.26. I was thinking sub 26 no bother to me. HaHaHa:rolleyes: My heart dropped as soon as I saw we were going on the grass :eek: I knew I was scr:eek:ewed. I had read we would be running on the ambulance track but in fact we were out on the outside of the track. This is where they had raced on Thursday so there were big hoof marks everywhere and big divets out of the grass....ankle twisting terrain :mad: I did a mile warm up on the track and it wasn't too bad but I had no energy and I was blowing like a train after it. My heart dropped again! I lined up and off we went. 100 metres later I was thinking to myself I'm not able for this. I'm not even going to get round. Theres no way I'll get up that hill :eek:.......twice:eek: I knew these were bad thoughts to be having this early on so I stopped thinking and focused on moving and breathing. My breathing was crap. I think I sounded like a chainsaw. Anyway after 5 long torturous km I crossed the finish line and collapsed on the grass. I was the fourth woman home in 23.29 and seventeenth over all. I thought I was a lot fitter but this race proves there is mighty work to be done:confused:

Running on grass is tougher than running on the road, you basically done a 5km cross country. That will take it out of your legs cause you dont have that same spring from the ground as you would on the road. Going on your time i'd say sub 23 mins in a 5km road race easy, 4th woman ain't bad anyday either. You should be proud not dispondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ok it's done! Officially registered for DCM. No turning back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

For LSR what pace do you all run in comparison to normal race pace?
    For the Limerick marathon my friend and I did all our training (including long runs) at a steady 8:45-9 min miles. This was probably discussed before but too many pages to go trawling through:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I run 75 - 80 seconds per mile slower than my PMP. I think 60-90 seconds slower than PMP is what's recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Next week is ready to go on the sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#

Niteowl1 has been added into the main group. Welcome onboard :)

We will be well over 7,000 miles logged by the time everyone updates this week.

20k run yesterday, 40k on the bike today. Total for the week was 40k run, 40k bike - happy with that. Don't think I'll log the cross-training distance on the log though, will only distort my total compared to anyone doing different cross-training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finally registered for DCM, really left it on the long finger this year.

Aiming for sub 3:45 if all goes to plan :) (improving on last years 3:58), training is going well and managing well after my last event back in June, did a nice 32km run today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

For those who haven't registered don't forget after Tuesday at 5pm the price goes up. Save yourself a tenner if you haven't already registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Great to see everyone signing themselves up. I was a sucker as usual and went for the videos and all, but sure made the money back by signing up early when it's cheaper :D

niteowl1 wrote: »
    For LSR what pace do you all run in comparison to normal race pace?
    For the Limerick marathon my friend and I did all our training (including long runs) at a steady 8:45-9 min miles. This was probably discussed before but too many pages to go trawling through:confused:

Your LSR should be at a pace which is 45 seconds to a minute slower than your race pace. Some suggest race pace + 20% for the first half and race pace plus + 10% for the second half. :)

If you ran all of your runs at race pace it explains why you were so comfortable at the end of the marathon as you had underestimated your fitness from the off. You should be aiming for 3:45 (8:30 pace) at least for this race and running your long runs again at 9 min miles, even at that I would predict a strong finish. Try mixing in a few paced runs (eg 13 with 8 at pace) just to get a feel for the pace, my bet is it will feel comfortable.

Meant to post about this before: my physio recommended taking epsom salts baths to ease muscle tiredness / soreness. She said to get a tub of them (500g for €4.10) and put the required amount (100g) into a bath of water as hot as I can bear it and jump in for 20 mins. Had one on Wednesday night. Felt pretty good immediately afterwards - woke up in the morning after the best night's sleep ever, almost no remaining twinges in my calf. Don't know if it was a result of the stretching after my 10k run, the heat of the bath or the salts but something worked...:D

(The owner of the gym my wife goes to said it draws toxins out of your muscles, or something. Not sure of the accuracy of that but...)

Anyone around here looking to do the Clonmel half in a few weeks? Price goes up this week from €25 to €30.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Meant to post about this before: my physio recommended taking epsom salts baths to ease muscle tiredness / soreness. She said to get a tub of them (500g for €4.10) and put the required amount (100g) into a bath of water as hot as I can bear it and jump in for 20 mins. Had one on Wednesday night. Felt pretty good immediately afterwards - woke up in the morning after the best night's sleep ever, almost no remaining twinges in my calf. Don't know if it was a result of the stretching after my 10k run, the heat of the bath or the salts but something worked...:D

(The owner of the gym my wife goes to said it draws toxins out of your muscles, or something. Not sure of the accuracy of that but...)

Anyone around here looking to do the Clonmel half in a few weeks? Price goes up this week from €25 to €30.

Have bath twice week maybe and use epsom salts and like yourself sleep soundly after and no muscle tiredness or pain the following day. Like you i was told they remove toxins from the muscles after training. Whatever they do, they make me sleep well which is good with an energetic 16 month old in the house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Well it's official now, I have registered:) I think watching the Olympics over the weekend has inspired me to get over my whinging and just get on with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Try mixing in a few paced runs (eg 13 with 8 at pace) just to get a feel for the pace, my bet is it will feel comfortable.

You trying to kill me?!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for advice, will give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Got in my lsr of 13.6 miles. felt like an aul granny running towards the end. glad its done though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

15m LSR done - Phew!

Advertisement