Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

shazkea wrote: »
    I had signed up for Connemara full next April after doing the half this year. I found out lately that one of best mates is getting married the day before so I asked her if she would consider moving her wedding for me. She not so politely told me where to go :rolleyes:.
    Damm it anyway...I guess I'll have to defer as logistically its too much hassle (and also the alcohol aspect!). Friends eh!!

I read this thread the other day and thought 'well that's a shame!'
    I've had the Connemara full in my head as a follow up race for DCM since doing the half this year too.
    Just realised yesterday I'm in exactly the same position! Two of my friend's are getting married on the 6th in Waterford, think I'll have to leave Conn for another year. (Didn't dare ask them to consider changing tho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Did my 10 miler this evening and have to say I breezed it! I did it at 10:30 min/mi pretty much on the head (getting better at even pacing!), but I was wondering should I try and push down to 10:00 min/mi in order to train my body to keep going when getting tired? It would still be within the marathon pace plus 60-90 second window.....

So, would I reap any benefit by doing this or should I just stick to 10:30min/mi? Any advice would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Did my 10 miler this evening and have to say I breezed it! I did it at 10:30 min/mi pretty much on the head (getting better at even pacing!), but I was wondering should I try and push down to 10:00 min/mi in order to train my body to keep going when getting tired? It would still be within the marathon pace plus 60-90 second window.....

So, would I reap any benefit by doing this or should I just stick to 10:30min/mi? Any advice would be great!

Well the experts know best but from my own experience...I was running really well up to about 11 miles and then started slowing down big time naturally. I think its because I'm just not fit enough yet to run 13.6 miles at a pace I'd like to run. So it all depends on how fit you are at the mileage you're running.
    You could try it and obviously if you're not able for it then your body will start to slow itself down and it wont be that pleasant but you'll finish it I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Meant to post about this before: my physio recommended taking epsom salts baths to ease muscle tiredness / soreness. She said to get a tub of them (500g for €4.10) and put the required amount (100g) into a bath of water as hot as I can bear it and jump in for 20 mins. Had one on Wednesday night. Felt pretty good immediately afterwards - woke up in the morning after the best night's sleep ever, almost no remaining twinges in my calf. Don't know if it was a result of the stretching after my 10k run, the heat of the bath or the salts but something worked...:D

(The owner of the gym my wife goes to said it draws toxins out of your muscles, or something. Not sure of the accuracy of that but...)

Anyone around here looking to do the Clonmel half in a few weeks? Price goes up this week from €25 to €30.

Save a few €€ and ask your local pharmacy for a bucket of the stuff. They may have to order it but it would do you a long time so it's well worth it. Don't know the weight, 3 kg I'd say I get for €11.

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water before/after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Did my LSR of 12 miles yesterday, just didn’t feel like it on Saturday. I had a mini step back week last week, as I was doing week 5 of HH2 for the second time having being previously been up to week 9. Felt nice not to be increasing mileage for the first time in a few weeks. The heavens opened about half way through my run though, got absolutely soaked, even my runners and socks were soaked. Yuck. Not very pleasant, but no issues other than that.

Feels like an easy peasy week this week! LSR of only 9 miles (wouldn’t have been saying ‘only’ 6 weeks ago, it’s amazing how far we’ve all come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Gave a high5 isogel a lash yesterday on my LSR (12 miles). No problems. Won't plan on taking them again although may try carrying the amount i need on an LSR. Couple of questions though please.

- Looking at last years thread, many people were taking 4 gels approx over the marathon. These isogels say take 1 every 20 mins...are the isogels different than normal gels that you've to take them more often, or is "every 20 minutes" to be ignored?

- Also, I took the ones with caffeine in them. If I do so on the day should I use all the same type, or save the caffeine ones as the last 1 or 2 gels. Or is it the case that once you take a caffeine isogel, better keep taking the caffeine for the rest of the race.

I used the ipod holder arm strap method, it held 2 of them, thought it'd hold more but they're pretty bulky. Could always tape a couple to the outside of it also. Worked for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 6

Hi Guys Another Stepback Week this week - make sure you don't add extra into this week as the Stepback weeks are vital for rest & recovery and for the psychological recovery too...miles really start creeping up from now on in......so enjoy the shorter weeks

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total
    rest|3m/5k|5m/8k, 2m/3k @PMP|3m/5k|rest|7m/11.5k|cross|18m/29.5k

For the midweek run, take a mile or two easy to warm up, then speed up to your planned marathon pace, before slowing down again for the final cooldown mile.
    How is everyone getting on???

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

10 mile LSR done yesterday.
    Against all common sense/advice I played football last Thursday for the first time in a couple of years. The same sport that has put me on the operating table Twice! but I still can't resist.
    I wont be playing again this side of the marathon but I'm delighted to have got through it without injury.
    I did however have sever DOMS, which meant delaying my LSR till Sunday instead of Saturday. Was a really tough run to be honest, but i did it and have drawn a lot of confidence from it. Can imagine the final ten miles of the marathon may be similar - running with tired/sore legs.
    Last km I was starting to get sloppy in my running form through tiredness but kept it together.
    So thats it - no more excuses for signing up. I'm off to the DCM website right now.... :)

Signed up.... no turning back now. !

miguelk wrote: »
    Gave a high5 isogel a lash yesterday on my LSR (12 miles). No problems. Won't plan on taking them again although may try carrying the amount i need on an LSR. Couple of questions though please.

- Looking at last years thread, many people were taking 4 gels approx over the marathon. These isogels say take 1 every 20 mins...are the isogels different than normal gels that you've to take them more often, or is "every 20 minutes" to be ignored?

- Also, I took the ones with caffeine in them. If I do so on the day should I use all the same type, or save the caffeine ones as the last 1 or 2 gels. Or is it the case that once you take a caffeine isogel, better keep taking the caffeine for the rest of the race.

I used the ipod holder arm strap method, it held 2 of them, thought it'd hold more but they're pretty bulky. Could always tape a couple to the outside of it also. Worked for me anyway.

Taking 1 gel every 20mins would lead to a very sick stomach....ye about 4/5 in a marathon would be pretty usual.... about every 6m/10k would get you through nicely!!!

I don't use the caffeine ones so i'm not sure how they would affect you, but if you are use to using them then there is no reason why you wouldn't use them on marathon day.

Everyone should make sure they know which gels they are going to use and have practiced carrying and taking them before Marathon day. At the marathon High 5 gels are the ones that are usually given out....
    you can go online and buy different types and flavours if you are want to try out different ones. Most cycle stores do them and some of the larger Tesco do a few gels too!!

http://www.sub4.ie/energy-bars-gels-c-31_121.html?osCsid=cnqut8l433508eaom4uamvile4

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nutrition/

http://www.supplementsdublin.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=444&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

I have used the top two before with no problems...i haven't used the third site. Other might have other sites to buy from.... but heres a start!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hi All, I'm new & would like to join in. Nice to see you all giving so much support to one another. I'll start by answering the Questions on Page 1.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!). Yes. Gold Coast Marathon in 2006 while travelling in Oz, just to add to the experience. hadn't a clue what I was doing. took me 5.18 & a lot of pain for many days! Want to do it right this time. Did very little since.
    •Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! - I take them (1 minute) on LSR's as I find it helps & I plan on doing the same at the water stations on the big day.
    •How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant. - Roughly following teh Hal HIgdon plan like everyone else, and do some cycling. Did my 10 Mile LSR on Saturday & enjoyed. Did the Fingal 10K in 54.34 last week.
    •What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - If I do it in 4.20 ish I'll be very happy.
    •How many days a week can you train? - usually 3/4 days.

Look forward to talking to you all ;-) Thanks
    •Why are you running this marathon?

• Advertisement

Hi All, I'm new & would like to join in. Nice to see you all giving so much support to one another. I'll start by answering the Questions on Page 1.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!). Yes. Gold Coast Marathon in 2006 while travelling in Oz, just to add to the experience. hadn't a clue what I was doing. took me 5.18 & a lot of pain for many days! Want to do it right this time. Did very little since.
    •Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! - I take them (1 minute) on LSR's as I find it helps & I plan on doing the same at the water stations on the big day.
    •How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant. - Roughly following teh Hal HIgdon plan like everyone else, and do some cycling. Did my 10 Mile LSR on Saturday & enjoyed. Did the Fingal 10K in 54.34 last week.
    •What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - If I do it in 4.20 ish I'll be very happy.

Welcome on Board and we only have one rule here...
    Enjoy your running!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

And sorry I missed the last Question: My good friend Paddy (who might join up here also) had a sick daughter last year & Crumlin Hospital did amazing work & she is now fiished Chemo & on the road to recovery. He started runnign to deal with the stress. he lost 3 stone. now he is really getting into it so I suggested we try the marathon to raise funds for the Ward & after a few days he agreed! So that's good motivation for us both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

Hey guys I just found this thread... I suppose the best thing to do is tell you about me first. I originally started running on January 7th 2011. I tried to run from a bustop to my house (around 1.8km). After 3 monutes I stopped and had to walk. It nearly killed me. SInce then I have lost 5 stone through running and I decided a few months ago to run the Dublin Marathon with a\ friend who has also lost around 3 stone through running.

My PB's are as follows:
    5k= 19:52 (on a treadmill)..On road its around 21:00.
    10k=47:00.

The longest distance I have done so far is 25km. This absolutely killed me I couldnt move for a week afterwards. Before thiis my longest run had been 16km once. I now see that this jump was far too big. At the moment I am doing around 30-40km per week. I originally set myself a goal of a sub 4 hour marathon but I would love to get closer to 3:30. I have never ran a competitive race. My intention is to pace myself throught the marathon and run solid 5 minute kilometres....but I would love some advise on this, anything at all would be great as I really dont know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Trampas

RayCun wrote: »
    4:00
    Oisin11178
    RunningCoach
    MrSlow
    Caprica

Thanks Ray. I will be running with you on the day and hopefully finishing just ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Forgot to add to my earlier post, passed a bit of a milestone on my LSR yesterday, I have now run over 500 miles this year! 505 miles since end of January to be precise, so well on track to do the 1000 miles before the end of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Trampas wrote: »
    Thanks Ray. I will be running with you on the day and hopefully finishing just ahead :D

Running with MrSlow you mean, I'll be stewarding or helping out at the start/finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

If i'm (tentatively) aiming for a 4 hr marathon, that equates to 5:40/km.
    Is this the same pace I should use for the upcoming 10mile and half marathon races, or should they be run slightly faster as a check?
    i.e.
    Typically as the race distance shortens, the pace should be quicker.
    That is, my 10km race pace should be much quicker than my half marathon.

Also, my LSR's are being run at about this pace, so I guess I'm running them way too quick. Im having real trouble running any slower though.

Here's my splits from yesterday:
    00:05:54, 00:06:01, 00:06:28, 00:06:21, 00:06:10, 00:05:57, 00:05:40, 00:06:08, 00:05:28, 00:05:23, 00:05:41, 00:05:45, 00:05:48, 00:05:39, 00:05:37, 00:05:25

Annoyingly getting quicker the whole time....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

slim4life wrote: »
    My intention is to pace myself throught the marathon and run solid 5 minute kilometres....but I would love some advise on this, anything at all would be great as I really dont know what to expect.

Welcome aboard, the first thing you should do is race a 10k, this will give a real idea of where your fitness/endurance is at and will help shape your goal. Sign up for the race series half if at all possible, you would need to be running a sub 1:35 at least to have a good shot at 3:30 in the marathon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    you would need to be running a sub 1:35 at least to have a good shot at 3:30 in the marathon. :)

Super talented runners can go 3.29.12 off a 1.36.23 half ;)

snowman224 wrote: »
    If i'm (tentatively) aiming for a 4 hr marathon, that equates to 5:40/km.
    Is this the same pace I should use for the upcoming 10mile and half marathon races, or should they be run slightly faster as a check?
    i.e.
    Typically as the race distance shortens, the pace should be quicker.
    That is, my 10km race pace should be much quicker than my half marathon.

Also, my LSR's are being run at about this pace, so I guess I'm running them way too quick. Im having real trouble running any slower though.

Here's my splits from yesterday:
    00:05:54, 00:06:01, 00:06:28, 00:06:21, 00:06:10, 00:05:57, 00:05:40, 00:06:08, 00:05:28, 00:05:23, 00:05:41, 00:05:45, 00:05:48, 00:05:39, 00:05:37, 00:05:25

Annoyingly getting quicker the whole time....

You should race flat out, as fast as you can manage over the distance, this will be the best indicator of how you're progressing and will prove invaluable for after the marathon as you start to train using tempo sessions etc.

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard, the first thing you should do is race a 10k, this will give a real idea of where your fitness/endurance is at and will help shape your goal. Sign up for the race series half if at all possible, you would need to be running a sub 1:35 at least to have a good shot at 3:30 in the marathon. :)

Thank you for getting back to me, when you say sign up for the race series half...do you mean to run a half marathon in 1:35? I will look into entering a 10k today :-)

RayCun wrote: »
    Super talented runners can go 3.29.12 off a 1.36.23 half ;)

Every dog has his day! :pac:

Super duper runners can go sub 3:30 with a virus. :P

sorry if this sounds silly but just so I fully understand....im looking to run a 3:30..but youre saying I need to run a 1/2 marathon in 1:35 to have a shot at it. That time for a 1/2 marathon would be going at 13.8km/hr...but the 3:30 full marathon would only be 12km/hr...would it not be better to just train at 12km/hr and keep increasing the distance of the long runs? This is what I have been doing but I'm thinking I'm wrong lol?

sorry if this sounds silly but just so I fully understand....im looking to run a 3:30..but youre saying I need to run a 1/2 marathon in 1:35 to have a shot at it. That time for a 1/2 marathon would be going at 13.8km/hr...but the 3:30 full marathon would only be 12km/hr...would it not be better to just train at 12km/hr and keep increasing the distance of the long runs? This is what I have been doing but I'm thinking I'm wrong lol?

You should be following a program that builds up both your Long slow run and your midweek mileage, this will give you the base required to complete the marathon. Check out Hal Higdon and see if there's a schedule to suit your current training.

With regard to the half marathon, if you can run a sub 1:35 half in September and have trained correctly for the marathon in October, you should* be able to run a sub 3:30 marathon. You have taper to consider also, the series half is 3 weeks from your peak week, then you have 3 weeks of taper, if you can only run the half at 8 min miles, you will not be able to cover double the distance with only 3 weeks extra training.

Run a 10k, enter your times into the McMillan Calculator and see what it gives you for a half marathon, don't note the marathon time as it's inaccurate for someone who hasn't been running 60/70 miles a week for an extended period, the half time will give you an idea of what kind of pace to go out at in the half but your fitness should improve over the next while and you can expect to do better. Once you have raced the half, twice your time plus 10% is a good rule of thumb to gauge where your marathon fitness is.

*Running a marathon has too many variables for guarantees :)

You should be following a program that builds up both your Long slow run and your midweek mileage, this will give you the base required to complete the marathon. Check out Hal Higdon and see if there's a schedule to suit your current training.

Ok thank you for your help I will do that...really think I have underestimated this! Time to seriously get my head down and start training properly

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Just in from last week's 12m LSR (physio advised me to rest a bit extra after my visit last week, & to skip Tuesday's short run). This is the longest run I've done since the half marathon in March & I was kind of dreading it, but it wasn't too bad. Was out for 2:16, and did typically 11:30 miles. Really happy that my pace was consistent-ish (usually to within 30 secs), even towards the end when I was getting tired.

I took a Honey Stinger gel after about 8m. My joints were starting to tire at that stage, but after the gel my muscles (probably) felt a little better. I find it difficult to tell! Usually it's my joints that give me trouble, and my muscles will just keep going until I tell them it's time to stop. No major side effects, had a weeny bit of a stitch from 9m - 10m, but that could have happened anyway. The gel was ok, was exactly like squeezy honey. Not unpleasant taste or texture, but you'd definitely need water to unsticky your mouth after. Was damn glad of my 2 x 10oz water bottles, I'd say I sweated off every scrap of the sunscreen on my face within the first 30 mins. :cool:

Since my Garmin is getting old & infirm, I'm doing a little test to see how long the battery can last with the GPS turned on. A brand new, fully charged watch should be able to run for 8 hours. Mine is over 2.5 yrs old & has had plenty of wear, so I'm hoping I can still get a good 5 hours out of it (I expect to be in the 4:30 - 5:00 group in Oct). So I was wearing it for over 2 hours this morning. Then I reset the activities to zero, turned off the autopause, turned on the GPS & left it to sit in the window & run down the battery. In the last 1:08 hours, my watch has travelled 1.78 miles & burned 292 calories! :confused: All from sitting on my window sill! Awesome! :D The workout maps looks like if I'd given a red marker to a toddler & asked them to draw the Flying Spaghetti Monster (praise his Noodly Appendages) :P I guess it's from all the spy satellites trying to get a good location on me...:eek:

Hey guys I just found this thread... I suppose the best thing to do is tell you about me first. I originally started running on January 7th 2011. I tried to run from a bustop to my house (around 1.8km). After 3 monutes I stopped and had to walk. It nearly killed me. SInce then I have lost 5 stone through running and I decided a few months ago to run the Dublin Marathon with a\ friend who has also lost around 3 stone through running.

My PB's are as follows:
    5k= 19:52 (on a treadmill)..On road its around 21:00.
    10k=47:00.

The longest distance I have done so far is 25km. This absolutely killed me I couldnt move for a week afterwards. Before thiis my longest run had been 16km once. I now see that this jump was far too big. At the moment I am doing around 30-40km per week. I originally set myself a goal of a sub 4 hour marathon but I would love to get closer to 3:30. I have never ran a competitive race. My intention is to pace myself throught the marathon and run solid 5 minute kilometres....but I would love some advise on this, anything at all would be great as I really dont know what to expect.

Welcome Slim4life....Mr Slow has given you great advice there and i'd second all he says....

As this is your first marathon would you not aim to go out and enjoy the experience and leave the time element for another marathon..you'll only ever have one forst marathon and its worth saviouring the atmoshpere and the experience without having to spen the whole time with an eye ont he watch.....
    As Mr Slow says, do a race, see where you fitness is and take it from there...if its any good to you, i know there is a 10k Race in Ardee's Turfman Festival this Saturday 4th Aug at 4pm and one the following Sat 11 Aug in Annagassan Viking Festival at 11am...both are available on runireland to enter

Younganne wrote: »
    Welcome Slim4life....Mr Slow has given you great advice there and i'd second all he says....

As this is your first marathon would you not aim to go out and enjoy the experience and leave the time element for another marathon..you'll only ever have one forst marathon and its worth saviouring the atmoshpere and the experience without having to spen the whole time with an eye ont he watch.....
    As Mr Slow says, do a race, see where you fitness is and take it from there...if its any good to you, i know there is a 10k Race in Ardee's Turfman Festival this Saturday 4th Aug at 4pm and one the following Sat 11 Aug in Annagassan Viking Festival at 11am...both are available on runireland to enter

Hi younganne thanks for your reply..I am starting to think along the same lines now I really think I have underestimated this whole thing so I am going to take Mr Slows advice and start following a proper program and give myself the best chance at doing this. I never really thought about it being my 1st marathon and savouring the moment but I think youre right. I am based in Dublin but I dont think traveling will be a problem as my friend is also wanting to do it and he is willing to drive for runs. Many thanks for your help.

I have one more question...headphones. I always run listening to music. Is this advised during the marathon? I usually try to focus on the songs and keep my mind off the actual run so I dont notice how long I have been running for. I understand that elite athletes arent allowed to use these but would you advise beginners to use them?

Hi younganne thanks for your reply..I am starting to think along the same lines now I really think I have underestimated this whole thing so I am going to take Mr Slows advice and start following a proper program and give myself the best chance at doing this. I never really thought about it being my 1st marathon and savouring the moment but I think youre right. I am based in Dublin but I dont think traveling will be a problem as my friend is also wanting to do it and he is willing to drive for runs. Many thanks for your help.

I have one more question...headphones. I always run listening to music. Is this advised during the marathon? I usually try to focus on the songs and keep my mind off the actual run so I dont notice how long I have been running for. I understand that elite athletes arent allowed to use these but would you advise beginners to use them?

Headphones are not encouraged during any race for a few different reasons some of which are to do with safety issues, will you hear emergency announcement etc, marshall giving instructions, you can't hear other runners approaching and may impede them. some people are for then and some are against...i personall never listen to them and thats just what i'm use to

Probably get use to running sometimes with no headphones, you could always have them with you and listen to them when things are getting tough.
    If you plan to go with the Pacers, you'll wnat to have the craic with them and the other pacees and listen to the atmosphere especially the fromt he crowds and supports!!!

there is also a 10k in Dunlaoghaire on Monday 6th - the Bay 10k, if this is any use to you t

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Headphones are not encouraged during any race for a few different reasons some of which are to do with safety issues, will you hear emergency announcement etc, marshall giving instructions, you can't hear other runners approaching and may impede them. some people are for then and some are against...i personall never listen to them and thats just what i'm use to

Probably get use to running sometimes with no headphones, you could always have them with you and listen to them when things are getting tough.
    If you plan to go with the Pacers, you'll wnat to have the craic with them and the other pacees and listen to the atmosphere especially the fromt he crowds and supports!!!

there is also a 10k in Dunlaoghaire on Monday 6th - the Bay 10k, if this is any use to you t

Thats great thanks a million for your help. I just entered the national lottery 1/2 marathon in Spetember! Im also looking through 10k races as we speak. Again I really appreciate the help I will be sure to keep you guys updated how I get on.

Advertisement