Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well I find proper running socks the best way to deal with moisture and friction on the feet. I have been wearing them a few weeks now and I have to say I havnt had any problems since then. They're not cheap but worth paying for. You can get them in any sports shop around.

I've also read about other guys putting Vaseline on the soles of their feet before a run.

Hi rasher,

I have the nike running socks they were around €15 a pair but they havent made much of a difference. never heard of the vaseline but I will try it. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Rainy day so I have time to pop on here to say well done to all of Youganne's Army who are doing so well with their traning plans:)
    Good luck to those who are out with injury and I'm sure you'll be back before long.
    As the miles are getting higher you'll have lots of good and bad runs, the most important bit of advice I'd give you is to try and stay positive during your traning, don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, you will gain a huge amount mentally from a tough day at the marathon-training office.
    And lots of posters have already told you, rest is just as important as getting the miles in.

Keep up the good work:)

slim4life wrote: »
    Menoscemo and Niteowl1 thanks for your help, really appreciate it! I really thought I had this marathon sussed but turns out I was barely touching the iceberg!.. I came across this thread by accident but thank god I did!!! I genuinely worry now for the people that havent found this and are still thinking the way I was...surely theyre going to have a disaster on the big day....

You're right about the fact that this forum is invaluable for advice and support.
    I was one of those people who hadn't found boards before my first marathon, I was loosely following Hal Higdon beginners plan. Lack of sound advice from here meant that I had a somewhat disastrous marathon, started way too fast, real slow pace in the last four miles.... the usual mistakes.

However I still finished with a HUGE smile on my face:D
    I was in ribbons the next day though and my recovery took forever:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have 1000 miles socks and never get them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I Got running Socks in Lidl few weeks ago... €2.99 & they are great. Vaseline is great help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

I would do the LSR on the treadmill if it was me, one LSR on that type of surface will not take away from your training. Just get an mp3 player to take away the boredom and a few bottles of water. At least you dont have to worry about the length of the route.

I remember a few years ago working for a guy who trained for his entire marathon on a treadmill and he got in at 4.05.
    Its not ideal but he got through it, due to work committments he couldnt train much outside of using the gym in work.

Thanks for the advice on the LSR. Due to the heat I was worried about doing it on the road as it was temp of 33 plus lots of humidity.....Anyway headed to the hotel gym early Sunday morning, and manged to get 16.5k done. It felt great to get it done and I could kick back and enjoy a few drinks later that evening. Back home now and really looking forward to the rest of the training........running in the heat was no fun at all:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

sheba 121 wrote: »
    .running in the heat was no fun at all:eek:

Running in the rain this morning wasn't much fun either!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi folks

This is not a major issue but just thought I would get some advice. I won't be able to run on the weekend so will have to get this weeks runs done by Friday. I did 3miles today and intend to do the 5 mile tomorrow and the 7mLSR on Fri. Would people advice still doing the 3mile run on thur which will mean 4 days running without a rest or would i be better served missing the 3 mile run on Thur, maybe a cycle or hillwalking instead both will get the heart rate up without pounding the joints.

By the way thanks to everyone who responded to my earler query re the increase in mileage. (How do you add the thanks below the post?)

Running is going great so far my only regret is not doing this twenty years ago.

Back home now and really looking forward to the rest of the training........running in the heat was no fun at all:eek:

Done this myself last month, was so unbelievably difficult to even do 5km in that kind of heat but for some reason looked forward to doing it each day lol..supose it was just because its so different to running in Ireland...actual sunlight!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

slim4life wrote: »
    Done this myself last month, was so unbelievably difficult to even do 5km in that kind of heat but for some reason looked forward to doing it each day lol..supose it was just because its so different to running in Ireland...actual sunlight!

Yeah I find it really really difficult to run in the heat. I much prefer running in the cold or even rain...........no prob with that in Ireland. I had a great holiday but nearly drove my two friends mad talking about about the heat, LSR, training, running routes in the area........and to top if off setting the alarm for 7.30am. I now have no friends:D

Yeah I find it really really difficult to run in the heat. I much prefer running in the cold or even rain...........no prob with that in Ireland. I had a great holiday but nearly drove my two friends mad talking about about the heat, LSR, training, running routes in the area........and to top if off setting the alarm for 7.30am. I now have no friends:D

haha I went with my girlfriend for 3 weeks last month...needless to say I was left to run alone after the first day and given fair warning to not discuss exercise during the holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi folks

This is not a major issue but just thought I would get some advice. I won't be able to run on the weekend so will have to get this weeks runs done by Friday. I did 3miles today and intend to do the 5 mile tomorrow and the 7mLSR on Fri. Would people advice still doing the 3mile run on thur which will mean 4 days running without a rest or would i be better served missing the 3 mile run on Thur, maybe a cycle or hillwalking instead both will get the heart rate up without pounding the joints.

By the way thanks to everyone who responded to my earler query re the increase in mileage. (How do you add the thanks below the post?)

Running is going great so far my only regret is not doing this twenty years ago.

If you were still doing it I would take Thursday run very easy, slower than LSR pace.

To says thanks just click on the "thumbs up" symbol on the bottom right corner of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Thanks for the advice on the LSR. Due to the heat I was worried about doing it on the road as it was temp of 33 plus lots of humidity.....Anyway headed to the hotel gym early Sunday morning, and manged to get 16.5k done. It felt great to get it done and I could kick back and enjoy a few drinks later that evening. Back home now and really looking forward to the rest of the training........running in the heat was no fun at all:eek:

Totally agree - Am just back from holidays myself and found it really tough to get the LSR with the upwards 38 C plus humidity. Ended up having to break the LSR between 2 days due to heat (kinda defeats purpose) but managed to get the shorter runs in during the week so wasn't too bad. Glad to get back to proper training now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Re socks - I only have Aldi and Lido running socks and find them great.

Btw - just entered 10m, 1/2 and full for bargain price of E103... :o

PS whoever organised the weather for tonight's run is off my birthday card list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm off to the South of France tomorrow and can't wait to get out in that heat, it's fantastic training! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'm off to the South of France tomorrow and can't wait to get out in that heat, it's fantastic training! :)

Hope you bring the rain with you! Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

tang1 wrote: »
    Hope you bring the rain with you! Enjoy it.

Aren't you nice? :mad:

You can keep your rain, it's blue skies and 3x degrees for me for the next 2 weeks! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I had a bit of a niggle in the back of my right leg last week and especially after the race on Sunday so I thought a trip to the physical therapist* was in order. Slightly scared cause I'd been before a couple of years ago so I thought I knew what to expect. I was wrong. It was much worse. I feel like I've just been through some weird traumatic initiation ceremony to enter the marathon runners club :eek: The therapist is brilliant don't get me wrong but its the heartless, sadistic streak in her that is a slight concern to me..... also the muscles on her arms look like they belong to a bodybuilder! The blame all lies with my feet (they're pronating which is affecting my quads which is affecting my hamstrings) and after the battering it just received, my derriere is not happy with my feet. I feel heaps better though and so much looser and stretchier :D

*The last time when I called her a physio she didn't take it too well. In fact I thought she was going to kick me out the door and then slam it shut:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You can keep your rain, it's blue skies and 3x degrees for me for the next 2 weeks! :P

I feel like crying i'm that jealous.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am getting really sick of running in this hot, muggy rain. Another 4 miles in the rain last night, just hate my clothes being soaked through and even my trainers being wet, it feels horrid :mad:

On the other hand, I think it really shows how far I’ve come in 6 months, there is no way I would have gone out in that weather 6 months ago!

Just on an aside, I normally do my short runs in my local forest, but decided to run round my village last night because of the rain. I met no fewer than 8 separate people out jogging and guess what? EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS FEMALE!

Go on the girls!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

I'm booked in for this years DCM! Woohoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    Just on an aside, I normally do my short runs in my local forest, but decided to run round my village last night because of the rain. I met no fewer than 8 separate people out jogging and guess what? EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS FEMALE!

Go on the girls!!! :D:D:D

Yeah sure if you look at the gender on the mileage sheet its pretty much is split down the middle between sexes and some of the females are logging very good times for their races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Yeah sure if you look at the gender on the mileage sheet its pretty much is split down the middle between sexes and some of the females are logging very good times for their races.

I was more impressed with the ladies out braving the rain, I didn't see a single man out!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

joe40 wrote: »
    (How do you add the thanks below the post?

You must have made at least 10 posts before you can give thanks.. (baffled me too for a while :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I'm back baby! after a week off. much needed physical rest and mental rest, i feel raring to go again. got 3 miles in this morning before work, doing 5 tomorrow, 3 friday and 10 on sunday to replace last weekends missed lsr. feel better than ever now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

I'm back baby! after a week off. much needed physical rest and mental rest, i feel raring to go again. got 3 miles in this morning before work, doing 5 tomorrow, 3 friday and 10 on sunday to replace last weekends missed lsr. feel better than ever now! :)

Great to hear! :)
    I've physio tomorrow - nothing serious, but looking forward to getting back out this weekend.

I am officially addicted to running.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

After all the talk of epsom salts baths, I thought I'd give my tired legs a good rest this morning after 6m & had my annual bath. It felt so good, & there isn't a peep out of the achey muscles I woke up with this morning. :D

Tomorrow I've a return trip to the physio to follow up on my much-less-creaky hip, & I've booked myself (& the OH cos I'm generous like that!) a full body massage for Friday morning & then I'm taking him out for yummy lunch, possibly followed by cinema / cocktails / more dinner out / DVDs & beers at home... My boyfriend will be one of my girlfriends for the day :p After 14 weeks of solid marathon prep, it's surely time for a little treat! ;) He works & studies hard, and is training for the Dublin Olympic triathlon at the end of the month, so he needs some treats too.

Next week is going to be a big challenge for me (4-7-4-14 :eek:), so I'm hoping my legs will feel fresh as lean, muscular, powerful daisies after some TLC.

So how are you rewarding yourselves for all the hard work you've put in so far? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

After all the talk of epsom salts baths, I thought I'd give my tired legs a good rest this morning after 6m & had my annual bath. It felt so good, & there isn't a peep out of the achey muscles I woke up with this morning. :D

Tomorrow I've a return trip to the physio to follow up on my much-less-creaky hip, & I've booked myself (& the OH cos I'm generous like that!) a full body massage for Friday morning & then I'm taking him out for yummy lunch, possibly followed by cinema / cocktails / more dinner out / DVDs & beers at home... My boyfriend will be one of my girlfriends for the day :p After 14 weeks of solid marathon prep, it's surely time for a little treat! ;) He works & studies hard, and is training for the Dublin Olympic triathlon at the end of the month, so he needs some treats too.

Next week is going to be a big challenge for me (4-7-4-14 :eek:), so I'm hoping my legs will feel fresh as lean, muscular, powerful daisies after some TLC.

So how are you rewarding yourselves for all the hard work you've put in so far? :cool:

Shortie, thats a great treat for both of you and you will enjoy it all the more because you both have earned it, by the sounds of things.

I hope your LSR is Sunday and not Sat morn or you might have a tough run...if your drinking friday, make sure you get plenty of extra water on Sat before you LSR.....

and Enjoy your treats!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Shortie,

Booked a weekend away for myself and the wife in two weeks and the weekend after that (just booked today) were going to Cardiff for the weekend. I think treats are definitely worthwhile, breaks up the training schedule too... Enjoy your treat!!

I'm thinking after the marathon what will i treat myself to, a week in the sun??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Booked 2 nights away in a week and a half for my wife, son and myself. I'm taking in the Midlands Half Marathon during it so doesn't really count as a treat i suppose. Well does for me cause i get a race in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sounds fab...lucky you:D I have the same schedule for next wk (hhn2 wk 7) :D

Advertisement