Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went out for a 4k brisk run this morning. Didn't want to do too much with tomorrows 10k race in mind but I was concious of not getting a lot of mileage done in the last 3 weeks.

Ran 4k in 24 min flat but I have to admit I struggled a bit and right atthe end my groin started playing up. This is the pace I need to break 1 hour tomorrow so I'm not feeling too confident at the moment. That said my only official 10k race time was 1 hour 8 minutes so there is still room for a PB there.

You wouldnt know...with the momentum of the race and the cheering you might break it plus you will obviously be trying to run faster for the race. You could rub some deep heat around the area that you were feeling the pain and give it some good stretches before the race, it was probably just not warmed up enough...though needless to say, dont put the deep heat directly on your groin:D
    Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Trampas wrote: »
    will be cups or bottles at the water station in dcm?

Bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I ran my first 10k road race in a few years yesterday. It was a very hilly course but I finished in 57.15. I was delighted to break the hour. It took me 3 k to settle into a pace. It is difficult to find pace when you dont know everyone around you and their planned finish time. It is good practice for DCM though as it is easy to start at the wrong pace at the start of the race. You have to try to ignore what everyone else is doing around you. I ran the first km in 5 minutes. I knew the pace was too fast so I had to try to correct my pace. Not nice when you pull back and others start to pass you.
    Went for hour walk today to cross train and my legs knew that they did something different yesterday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

rasher_m wrote: »

You could rub some deep heat around the area that you were feeling the pain and give it some good stretches before the race, it was probably just not warmed up enough...though needless to say, dont put the deep heat directly on your groin:D
    Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

Well I thought I hadn't but turned out I accidentally did hit the family jewels with some of the deep heat. OMG !!!!! Sitcom type scenes ensued of me frantically trying to cool the love spuds. Never making that mistake again !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ran a new PB by 2 mins in a 10k race friday night, 42.30 which im delighted with!

However aching badly yesterday and today after it! Havnt been running at that pace for a while!

Went out for an easy 9 miles this morning to get rid of the tightness. Seemed to have worked and all set for a new week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 7

Hi guys, the weeks & mileage are creeping up bit by bit....24 mile this week, so remember as the long runs get longer make sure your pace is slow. Remember rest is very important too.

Mon|Tue| Wed | Thur | Fri| Sat | Sun |Total|
    Rest | 3m/5k| 6m/10k| 3m/5k| Rest|12m/20k| Cross| 24m/40k|

Keep positive too especially if you have any niggles or injuries, mind them and you'll be back in no time
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »
    Ran a new PB by 2 mins in a 10k race friday night, 42.30 which im delighted with!

Super running, well done blockic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just wondering about my training plan for next week. Have the midlands half marathon on Sunday and am on HHN2 wk 7. Supposed 2 b rest/4/7 pace/4/rest/14. I was thinking of just doing the 7 mile at slowish pace and leaving the rest as is??
    Also its my first half so not sure of which pacers I should target. My only other races were 5m trail (37.12) and 5k grass (23.29) :confused:

Also its my first half so not sure of which pacers I should target. My only other races were 5m trail (37.12) and 5k grass (23.29) :confused:

Your more than capable of going with 1.40 pacers going on times above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I was awoken this morning by the strongest, most severe spasm in my calf i think i've ever felt. It was ****ing excruciating! Theres a little bruise left over too.

Had to give my planned LSR a miss which is a pity because i was raring to go. Still a little stiff and tender to the touch but i should be ok with a bit of rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Just logged my LSR from this morning and realised we've completed first 3rd of the programme - wahoo! :)

All good so far but bit worried when looking at the distances coming up over the next few weeks....:eek: Furthest so far been a half marathon a month ago so now am on wk7 on HHN2 start to go beyond that - think i'm just gonna have to trust that the programme works and will be able for the runs as they come up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »
    Just logged my LSR from this morning and realised we've completed first 3rd of the programme - wahoo! :)

All good so far but bit worried when looking at the distances coming up over the next few weeks....:eek: Furthest so far been a half marathon a month ago so now am on wk7 on HHN2 start to go beyond that - think i'm just gonna have to trust that the programme works and will be able for the runs as they come up...

Yeah, I feel the exact same...from now on in its all new territory. I'm hoping to get my act together and start these long runs with other people.

tang1 wrote: »
    Your more than capable of going with 1.40 pacers going on times above.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel the exact same...from now on in its all new territory. I'm hoping to get my act together and start these long runs with other people.

I think the majority of us are heading into that territory now. I think we must believe the programme and maybe start prep for our runs better. Making sure we are fully hydrated eating properly will make it easier and run at the correct speed

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Go with them and if you feel you cant keep the pace ease off. Have a bit of confidence in yourself, your definitely capable of running sub 1.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Marathon entered, along with Frank Duffy 10 mile (Aug 25). No going back now!

Go with them and if you feel you cant keep the pace ease off. Have a bit of confidence in yourself, your definitely capable of running sub 1.45.
    Aw thanks :D Was thinking about it all day and was coming on to tell you i was going to go with the 1.50 pacers but having seen that now i've just decided goddammit you only live once go 1.40 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Anyone here know if there is a limited amount of entries for Dublin half marathon? Would I need to sign up soon?

This was my 3rd preparation race of the year having ran (or more accurately jogged wink.gif the Samsung 10k night race in just over 1 hour 8 minutes and the Irish runner 5 mile in just shy of 48 minutes. I was chasing a PB obviously and was hoping to squeeze in under an hour. That said the last couple of weeks had been a bit of a write off running wise as I posted previously in the thread.

Turned up to the starting line and was struck by how well organised the start was. Plenty of toilets available, no queues for them, loads of marshalls about, a big open area for a group warm up and a very well observed / enforced wave system.

The race started on time and straight away I felt that the waves themselves were a lot better observed than my previous 5 mile run. This may have ultimately been a bad thing for me though personally as with very little out of pace runners to navigate I ended up doing the first 2k at 5:30 pace - much too fast for me. In fact by 3K despite slowing down dramatically I was close to throwing up mid run. So began 7K of running interspersed with walk breaks (especially from 3k - 5k which was an uphill struggle to say the least) which wasn't the plan nor the ideal strategy. My previous 10k time of 1:08:11 was at a slow and steady non stop run with no walking so I was a bit out of sorts with the too fast start. Add into it my endomondo app crashing I had no idea how I was doing pace wise until I saw the timer at the 5k mark which I went through at 32:35

The course itself was tough going up until that 5k mark and I was surprised to see 32:35 up there. I thought I had blown it completely and was encouraged by the fact I was still on course for a PB all be it that hopes of breaking 1 hour were as good as written off. Tried a bit too hard to make up for time lost on the uphill on the next downhill stretch and it's fair to say it was counter productive.

Support along the way was very good. OK it wasn't 10 deep like the Olympic marathon biggrin.gif but every single junction had spectators at it encouraging us along. At St Catherines Park 3 lunatics had brought a sofa out to the end of their driveway and were sitting there with a bag of cans each supporting / heckling the runners. I had my number chanted as I was on one of my slow downs as I passed them. I called them a shower of bastards but it was all in good spirit. Halfway down Castlepark Road and I was really feeling the strain. Overheated and thirsty I could have kissed the family who had set up a makeshift water station outside their house. If anyone here knows them please give them my heartfelt thanks. It was very much appreciated.

At this point I was at 8k and knowing that the end was nearly there I became aware of a group of us that were leap frogging each other up and down the positions as bursts of energy or dreaded slow downs came into play but staying close by all the same. Suddenly we were in Glasthule and just about to turn left onto the seafront where 2 ladies had been waiting for someone just behind me (shortly to be in front of me) I had a bit of a giggle as they announced to her that they were going to run with her to the finish not realising that the finish was not where the race had started and had a kilometre to cover with her. Their friend was saying to them not to bother (and to be fair to her they were only slowing her down) so they abandoned their effort and she ran off into the distance. I had no chance of keeping up with her !

The little hill at Teddys ice cream shop was cruel and I ended up having my final little walk there. I wanted to be strong for the finish ! and took off with a bit of pace towards the finish. One of the runners I had noticed earlier in that little group took a fall about 400 metres out. I don't know if she tripped over the foot of the barrier or stumbled and then fell into it but God bless her she had only hit the ground and was back up running. I didn't see her after but I hope she was ok.

I came in sight of the finish and saw the clock was heading for 1 hour 4 minutes - I was determined to get there before that and dug deep. My mother wife and daughter were waiting for me just before the finish and I could hear them screaming at me which was very encouraging. I landed with a clock time of 1:03:45. My chip time came in via text and I was delighted to see I came in at 1:02:51 a PB by over 5 minutes. Not the hour smashing time I would have loved but a good time for me.

I have one negative about the event and it has already been stated here. The queue at the end for the water / yoghurt etc was disastrous. I was shattered and couldn't wait to get a drink. I ended up turning around and heading for the shopping centre to buy one. It's the only reason I gave the race a 4 out of 5. If it was marks out of 10 it would have been a 9.

I will be back next year for definite - hopefully I will have broken that 1 hour mark before then but if not I will be gunning for it then. I'd also like to next year to beat the following who managed to beat me this year: bloke running with buggy, bloke in chipmunk suit and worst of all bloke running backwards. biggrin.gif

Now does anyone have any advise on treating severe chaffing ? (If it's not against the forum charter for medical advice) I am walking like John Wayne !

Well done on the pb PM, a 5min pb is great improvement. Think could you have seen yourself running that time this time last year? Your improving every week.

• Advertisement

Well done on the pb PM, a 5min pb is great improvement. Think could you have seen yourself running that time this time last year? Your improving every week.

No is the short answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

5 min pb is a great result, well done! I don't have much advice on chaffing though, maybe some cool water & fresh air will help? Sudocrem?

A few other people have said in the last while that they're becoming addicted to running & I think I've got the same affliction. :o I did my (step back) LSR on Saturday morning, had to cut it short from 9m to 8.33m so I'd have enough time to get a proper stretch in before hopping in the shower & zooming off to a social engagement. At the time, I thought "That's great now, 3 full days to rest & recover before I have to run again." And today, I'm at a loss for something to do! I should be studying, but instead I keep looking out the window at the park. My legs are dying to get out there today for some reason! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aw thanks :D Was thinking about it all day and was coming on to tell you i was going to go with the 1.50 pacers but having seen that now i've just decided goddammit you only live once go 1.40 :D
    I've organised the pacers for this one, so I can promise that either way you are in safe hands. It is quite a tough course, not exactly a PB one. The first half is uphill and the second half down. So the pacers plan is to be a little behind after the rock of dumanse hill at 6 miles and then make it back up on the downhills.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've organised the pacers for this one, so I can promise that either way you are in safe hands. It is quite a tough course, not exactly a PB one. The first half is uphill and the second half down. So the pacers plan is to be a little behind after the rock of dumanse hill at 6 miles and then make it back up on the downhills.

How tough is tough meno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How tough is tough meno?

I'd say that it's about 2 minutes slower than normal. There is a hell of a hill between 4-6 miles, it goes on and on and really saps the energy. Just take it as easy as possible and aim to get the time back on the easy 2nd half.
    The pacers will be:
    1:40 RAL3 and Mithril
    1:50 Claralara and Digger2D2
    2hrs: Aimman and Marthastew.
    All regular Boardises so say hello beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

WalkedIT - You are also moved up into the main sheet alphabetically now for Week 7 and beyond. Your previous weeks are still in place at the bottom.

PM Thanks for getting me sorted! I added in my LSR from Sat and just about made the weeks miles - almost as planned.

I wasn't sure how to pick up the plan after late joining but for now I'll just try to do current weeks and forget any missed earlier weeks - LSR this week may be a stretch - will be my longest run ever approx 2 hrs 24 mins.

After LSR I felt good and really missed not running next two days but did some easy walking, swimming (sea) and Yoga. I hope I can run tomorrow as may have been too ambitious with what seemed like easy yoga postures.

My pace seems to be a slow plod @ 11-12 mpm - is it OK to just do all my runs at that pace or do I try to go slower?

madon wrote: »
    I used to walk about 6 miles every second night with my Dad, when I was 18-23/4 and it has built such a bond between the two of us. I'd love if the two of us could have accomplished something like the marathon together!

I'm a late arriver too so Interested to read what the more experienced have to say about quick build up/ full taper question.

It's nice to hear a daughter's view, I'm sure the bond is far more important then any race.

Given that 1st weeks running went OK I'm going for the quick build-up and see how it goes, will back off if it seems to hard (and hopefully not get injured in the process)

sassyj wrote: »
    I have the Garmin 405 CX , got it here http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=5378

NOH means newly overhauled, got a 12 month guarantee. Used a VAT number from a friend's company, you could get it delivered to Ireland for GBP£114.80, not bad at all.

I'm looking at getting one of these too, sorry if dumb question but were you able to order as vat registered and not pay vat on export to Ireland hence use of friends vat no? I can't see how to do that on their site? Advice appreciated:)

Duh: realised once you change country to Ireland can enter vat code and vat gets taken off!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Younganne wrote: »
    If you plan to go with the Pacers, you'll wnat to have the craic with them and the other pacees and listen to the atmosphere especially the fromt he crowds and supports!!!

I haven't been on in a while. 9 extra people staying with us for the Olympics so it's been hectic. Saw the women's marathon on Sunday. Despite the pouring rain, it was motivational stuff.

Can someone please remind me, what page the list of pacers is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

The next bank holiday will be the big day.

Only 12 weeks to go and 48 runs.

Advertisement