Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Hi there,

Hope I'm not too late joining this thread but I would really appreciate the advice and support that goes with it.
    I have signed up for the DCM and the half marathon in the park. I am currently training 3 times a week as follows:
    5 miles comfortable
    5 miles fast
    10 miles comfortable (Long run)

I completed my 10 mile run last night in 1 hr, 36 mins.

I have previously done the 2012 Connemara half marathon in 2hrs, 13 mins.

I don't feel I'm training enough for the DCM but with work and kids, it's hard to try and fit it in...I will if I have to though - what do you think? Will I be ready?
    Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

<mod> I think you want the Novice thread, not the Improvers </mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Anyone here know if there is a limited amount of entries for Dublin half marathon? Would I need to sign up soon?

I don't think they've ever closed entries early, so you should be fine as long as you sign up by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’m so annoyed with myself, I had family staying over on Friday night and then was away Saturday and Sunday night and missed my LSR. :mad: It was a step back week with HH2, so it was only 9 miles, but I am still so mad at myself. I had been doing so well, and now that’s two missed runs in 3 weeks (I missed a 3 mile run a couple of weeks ago). I feel I need to get myself back on track and get back to the Focus I had a couple of weeks ago. Alcohol was involved in both missed runs, so I am think I am just going to avoid alcohol as much as possible for the next 12 weeks. My problem is when I’m drinking, I end up smoking and eating junk food as well, so that leaves me sluggish for a few days.

So this week, I am returning to the focussed, dedicated jogger - watching what I’m eating, drinking plenty of water, no smokes, no junk food, I am going to be a lean, mean, running machine! 4/7 pace/4/14 LSR this week and then the Clonmel half marathon next week…. Bring it on! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ncmc wrote: »
    My problem is when I’m drinking, I end up smoking

Fair play for running if your smoking, obviously its a dangerous habit, but from bring an ex smoker i know i hard it is to run doing it. Its much easier when you give up though.......

tang1 wrote: »
    Fair play for running if your smoking, obviously its a dangerous habit, but from bring an ex smoker i know i hard it is to run doing it. Its much easier when you give up though.......

That's the worst of it Tang, I am actually just a social smoker, I can go weeks without smoking, but when I have a drink in my hand, I just can't resist. Normally I have zero social life so I don't smoke at all, but the last few weeks have been busy with bbq's, birthdays, christenings etc and I have just been very bold! Not any more though, new sober, non smoking lady here this morning :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I picked up a tummy bug yesterday and i feel like I got hit by a bus after talking to God on the big white telephone all night.
    The nausea has disappeared this morning but I am completely. Kid of all energy. I am due to run 3-6-3 over the next 3 days . I deffo won't be able to run today so shoul I start with 6 tomor or should I do 3 tomor and 6 on thurs?

darabbit wrote: »
    I picked up a tummy bug yesterday and i feel like I got hit by a bus after talking to God on the big white telephone all night.
    The nausea has disappeared this morning but I am completely. Kid of all energy. I am due to run 3-6-3 over the next 3 days . I deffo won't be able to run today so shoul I start with 6 tomor or should I do 3 tomor and 6 on thurs?

I would do an easy 3 tomorrow darabbit IF you are feeling up to it, then 6 on Thursday if you are feeling ok. Be wary of trying to cram all your runs in this week if you're not feeling well. Better to miss one 3 mile run than overdo it when you're not 100% and maybe make yourself worse in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I'd say do 3 tomorrow, 6 on thurs. dont want to jump straight back into a harder run, ease yourself back in with 3 if it fits in with schedule! hope you feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

You need to be careful with this as marathon training can leave you run down; simple things like a tummy bug can then take a lot longer to shake than they would previously. Be careful with your running this week, up to and including your LSR at the weekend. While something like a 6mile run may seem easy, they do take a toll and the worst thing that you can do is try to run too much too soon. Take it day by day - if you're not completely recovered from the bug, then don't run. A couple of missed runs this far out won't have any effect in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi there,

Hope I'm not too late joining this thread but I would really appreciate the advice and support that goes with it.
    I have signed up for the DCM and the half marathon in the park. I am currently training 3 times a week as follows:
    5 miles comfortable
    5 miles fast
    10 miles comfortable (Long run)

I completed my 10 mile run last night in 1 hr, 36 mins.

I have previously done the 2012 Connemara half marathon in 2hrs, 13 mins.

I don't feel I'm training enough for the DCM but with work and kids, it's hard to try and fit it in...I will if I have to though - what do you think? Will I be ready?
    Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

<mod> I think you want the Novice thread, not the Improvers </mod>

Welcome,
    You will really need to add a 4th day to the program, but it won't be too hard as you are currently running 20m a week.

so this weeks plan is
    Mon| Tue| Wed| Thur| Fri |Sat| Sun
    Rest|3m| 6m| 3m | Rest|12m|Cross

Another thing i would say to you is slow down. Don't be timing your runs as its not all about speed. Read back over a few pages of the log if you can and you will see that people who are slowing down their runs are benefiting for it as the runs they are doing are more comfortable and the body is recovering quicker too.

• Advertisement

as macinilli says mind yourself as it can take extra time to get over anything as the body is tired.
    If you are up to running tomorrow do 3m very easy, if feeling ok do 3m on thur, rest on Fir and then if feeling 100% do your LSR as planned....i wouldn't worry about missing one run and probably best not to put any speed or extra miles into the body until you are 100%.

Make sure you drink extra water & maybe diaoralyte to rehydrate properly before doing any running

Aw thanks :D Was thinking about it all day and was coming on to tell you i was going to go with the 1.50 pacers but having seen that now i've just decided goddammit you only live once go 1.40 :D

Not to rain on your parade but you would be better off going with the 1.50 pacers and if feeling ok then pushing on with a few miles to go. This would lead to a much better race experience than going out too fast and then struggling for the rest of the race...

corny wrote: »
    I was awoken this morning by the strongest, most severe spasm in my calf i think i've ever felt. It was ****ing excruciating! Theres a little bruise left over too.

Had to give my planned LSR a miss which is a pity because i was raring to go. Still a little stiff and tender to the touch but i should be ok with a bit of rest.

Plenty of ice and stretching and you should be fine, easy running too for a few days, no pace runs if youre doing HH nov 2

FiiFii wrote: »
    Just logged my LSR from this morning and realised we've completed first 3rd of the programme - wahoo! :)

All good so far but bit worried when looking at the distances coming up over the next few weeks....:eek: Furthest so far been a half marathon a month ago so now am on wk7 on HHN2 start to go beyond that - think i'm just gonna have to trust that the programme works and will be able for the runs as they come up...

Definitely if you follow the plan you will ease into the extra mileage no problem as thats why the program is designed that way.

You would definitely have to put though into the runs now with gels and water to think about as the mileage goes up and maybe more thought into routes to allow for all of this...
    but no worries you will be well able for the ruins, just keep the runs slow and there is no problem with taking a walking break if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I'm cautiously delighted to say 'I'm back'. The physio has given me the go ahead to ease back in to running this week, doing 50% of my scheduled mileage. My hip discomfort is still there but he's confident we can keep it under control and get me through to DCM. I have rehab exercises to do and am really looking forward to my first run later - only 2 miles but absolutely can't wait to get back out there! A point of interest for everyone else increasing LSR mileage for the first time, my physio reckons I damaged my hip because of poor running form when I get tired (say after 12 miles or so). As I get tired my gluts switch off and my form gets really sloppy, putting pressure on my hip joints as well as other muscles. So his advice to me was to do exercises to strengthen the gluts - I hadn't realised how important these muscles were when running.

I just wanted some advice on how to build up the LSR again from anyone else who has come back from injury. I will do 7 mile LSR this week (half of normal) but am scheduled to do 15 miles next weekend. Can I jump straight up to 15 (I did 15 miles just over 2 weeks ago also), or should I scale back the first big LSR to say 12 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Younganne wrote: »
    Plenty of ice and stretching and you should be fine, easy running too for a few days, no pace runs if youre doing HH nov 2

Thanks i'm fine now after a couple of days rest. Going out later today for my LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm cautiously delighted to say 'I'm back'. The physio has given me the go ahead to ease back in to running this week, doing 50% of my scheduled mileage. My hip discomfort is still there but he's confident we can keep it under control and get me through to DCM. I have rehab exercises to do and am really looking forward to my first run later - only 2 miles but absolutely can't wait to get back out there! A point of interest for everyone else increasing LSR mileage for the first time, my physio reckons I damaged my hip because of poor running form when I get tired (say after 12 miles or so). As I get tired my gluts switch off and my form gets really sloppy, putting pressure on my hip joints as well as other muscles. So his advice to me was to do exercises to strengthen the gluts - I hadn't realised how important these muscles were when running.

I just wanted some advice on how to build up the LSR again from anyone else who has come back from injury. I will do 7 mile LSR this week (half of normal) but am scheduled to do 15 miles next weekend. Can I jump straight up to 15 (I did 15 miles just over 2 weeks ago also), or should I scale back the first big LSR to say 12 miles?

Great news...welcome back.
    I also was given similar advice, I went to physio with a knee injury and he told me my glutes were weak and the reason I was still feeling pain in my knee was because I was putting too much strain on the knee while running but if my glutes were stronger then the weight would be distributed more evenly as the glutes would be doing more work and the knee would be less dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Now does anyone have any advise on treating severe chaffing ? (If it's not against the forum charter for medical advice) I am walking like John Wayne !

After trying lots of different combinations I found using body glide pre run and vaseline after runs good to get over bad chaffing. Once it clears up then body glide only would keep you sorted.

Congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

dazza21ie wrote: »
    After trying lots of different combinations I found using body glide pre run and vaseline after runs good to get over bad chaffing. Once it clears up then body glide only would keep you sorted.

Congrats on the PB!

I just came on to ask the exact question. Thanks!

What version do you use? Is it just the normal one or the Anti-Chafe version?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=body+glide&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

NoelJ wrote: »
    I just came on to ask the exact question. Thanks!

What version do you use? Is it just the normal one or the Anti-Chafe version?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=body+glide&x=0&y=0

I think they all are for chaffing but have used both the anti-chafe and the 2 in 1 sun one (a local shop had it) and they both have done the job. Tried to get some more locally recently and the sports shop didn't have it in. They pawned off something they say is similar (forget the name). Took it to give it a try but it doesn't seem to be effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Can someone give me some pointers on the stretching that needs doing after a run especially after LSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Just for anyone like myself who is trying gels for the first time.I got a high 5 race pack for 10 euro in cyclesuperstore in Tallaght. I know the gels are usually 2:50 a go and you get around 12 in it plus some other stuff.

Here is a link to the pack on Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-marathon-race-day-and-recovery-pack/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Not to rain on your parade but you would be better off going with the 1.50 pacers and if feeling ok then pushing on with a few miles to go. This would lead to a much better race experience than going out too fast and then struggling for the rest of the race...
    Thanks Anne. That makes sense alright especially with the hills. I'm back to square one though....everybody is telling me different things:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just 12 weeks to go now, so I suppose I should start my 12 week training program :D

13km and a few strides ahead of me tonight. Looking forward to it all day !

Thanks Anne. That makes sense alright especially with the hills. I'm back to square one though....everybody is telling me different things:confused:

Career-move,
    put your race times into this calculator and see what times he predicts. don't pay any attention to his marathon prediction, this is only really for guys doing big mileage(80+) every week,

Mcmillan pace calculator

HTH:D

Walkedit wrote: »
    Can someone give me some pointers on the stretching that needs doing after a run especially after LSR?

heres something to be going on with..i have limited access while in work so will dig out more later, but you will know how to do most of these and its just a matter of getting a little routine going for yourself that you follow after every run

http://www.netfit.co.uk/stretching_cool_down.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa040703a.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I finally found Nesquik so I gave my physio's chocolate milkshake a go today. Tastes quite like coco pops milk once all the cereal is gone ;) Not bad, although it'd surely be nicer made with hot, real milk, some whipped cream & a few marshmallows! Sure lookit, if this is what the olympians are doing... :rolleyes:

200ml cold water
    20g / 4 tsps marvel dried milk powder
    15g / 3 tsps Nesquik powder - any flavour

Shake them all together & voila! I guess it's handy cos I wouldn't always have fresh milk in the house. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

stevekavo wrote: »
    Just for anyone like myself who is trying gels for the first time.I got a high 5 race pack for 10 euro in cyclesuperstore in Tallaght. I know the gels are usually 2:50 a go and you get around 12 in it plus some other stuff.

Here is a link to the pack on Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-marathon-race-day-and-recovery-pack/

Steve fyi I've paid between 80c and 90c each for High 5 gels, both in local sports shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Career-move,
    put your race times into this calculator and see what times he predicts. don't pay any attention to his marathon prediction, this is only really for guys doing big mileage(80+) every week,

Mcmillan pace calculator

HTH:D
    1 43 for the 5 mile time
    1 48 for the 5 k time
    Think I'll just rock up on Sunday and go with whichever group has the hottest looking guys:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

1 43 for the 5 mile time
    1 48 for the 5 k time
    Think I'll just rock up on Sunday and go with whichever group has the hottest looking guys:D

Unfortunately the hottest looking guys are pacing 2 hours:D, (Aimann and Marthastew) but the other pacers are also very cute;)
    Best of luck and make sure to come say hi to us before the start of the race

Advertisement